Author Topic: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. Final Results (finally) - thank you for playing :)  (Read 100005 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. round 6 results coming in hot
« Reply #1260 on: February 04, 2019, 06:29:41 PM »
Holy shit. Some big laying eggs with some killer scores.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1261 on: February 04, 2019, 06:33:25 PM »
Lost Horizons :metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1262 on: February 04, 2019, 07:06:00 PM »
Part 3

TAC

Angelus Apatrida - Sharpen the Guillotine 9.1
   Heavy as hell. Sounds like 80s speed metal but with better production, huge drum sound. Big bridge and bigger chorus. I like this a lot. Those drums sound fucking huge and menacing with those slower beats. Vocalist is really strong and just the right amount of 'rough' for the metal in my opinion, a perfect match.

Manticora - Humiliation Supreme 9.3
   Oh fuck yeah. That super speedy Dragonforce style of power metal shred, it's all over this piece, they get straight to business and don't let off the gas, I love this. Immediate addition to gym playlist. No vocals or keyboards required to blow my mind here.

Ancestral - Seven Months of Siege 8.5
   So this is pretty fun and heavy even if it doesn't do anything out of the norm. The guitars and drums shred (that tapping!) and the singer wails. For the longest time I didn't like his voice during the chorus but I've warmed up to it. This might be your heaviest batch of metal yet and I love this stuff.

Current Score: 42.23 [+5 BP]
Round 6 Score: 26.90
Average: 8.96~
Movement:  9 spaces
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 51.19 [+5 BP]

Tired but pleased with your evening's performance, you spot a chest at your campsite off the beaten path. Upon opening it, you realize too late that it's a Mimic! Can you find a way to take its booty before it takes yours?

Elite

VOLA - Smartfriend 9.0
   Took me a few listens to get over the guitars that are way down in the mud. At first I thought they took away from the song's mood, but it actually makes a nice contrast between the calmer verses and that absolutely gorgeous chorus. I have no idea what genre you'd even call this music but it's compelling. Big props to that synth lead voice in the second half of the chorus because that is tasty. Really good stuff here.

Madder Mortem - Moonlight Over Silver White 8.7
   Weird song, didn't click until several listens later. Interesting mix of screaming and clean singing and soft and heavy sections. Unpredictable music is kind of what I've come to expect from 'Elite music' :) and this definitely fits the bill. But it's a cool type of unpredictable, I'm intrigued by what I perceive as unorthodox musical choices that work in ways I'd never think of. Very neat.

Queens of the Stone Age - No One Knows 8.6
   Okay... yeah, this is more adventurous than I attribute to QOTSA for some reason. The riff is punchy and fun, the vocals are creative. I think I should really explore this band sometime because I hear lots of creative potential here. Nothing individually I could say I 'love' but it all comes together to make one cool unique song.

Current Score: 41.93 [+5 BP]
Round 6 Score: 26.30
Average: 8.76~
Movement: 9 spaces
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 50.69 [+5 BP]

You awoke in time to bludgeon the first stone golem to death, but can you do it again in such a brief period? Another beast rips itself from the very fabric of the earth, as if summoned by some black magic, and as it steps toward you, the ground quakes.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 05:58:53 PM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1263 on: February 04, 2019, 07:07:14 PM »
Nice call with Bloodbound, Diego.  Jumpin up to the lead.

Totally fair score and comment with Steve and the Seagulls
One of the greatest rock songs of all time doesn't even get a C grade.  By the way, it is Roger Hodgson on vox.  He's the voice of Supertramp.
I'd hope the guitar was fun with White Lion - Top 10 80s guitarist in Vito Bratta, that even Tim can't argue!

On Supertramp ....

:youfail:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1264 on: February 04, 2019, 07:19:38 PM »

I'd hope the guitar was fun with White Lion - Top 10 80s guitarist in Vito Bratta, that even Tim can't argue!

I sure as hell can argue! I mean, sure, he looks like EVH. But he's no EVH.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1265 on: February 04, 2019, 07:25:17 PM »
Vito is killer Tim.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1266 on: February 04, 2019, 07:27:28 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1267 on: February 04, 2019, 07:28:47 PM »

I sure as hell can argue! I mean, sure, he looks like EVH. But he's no EVH.

Give me 10 better 80s guitarists.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1268 on: February 04, 2019, 07:29:09 PM »
Vito is killer Tim.

Honestly, I'm sure Janet Jackson has a great band and all, but if the music blows, WTF difference does it make how good her drummer is, or how good her guitarist is?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1269 on: February 04, 2019, 07:32:02 PM »
Well, if you're going to use that gif, see Chad's next post and give us your top 10 positraction cars.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1270 on: February 04, 2019, 07:33:30 PM »
Vito is killer Tim.

Honestly, I'm sure Janet Jackson has a great band and all, but if the music blows, WTF difference does it make how good her drummer is, or how good her guitarist is?

If your equating Vito to Janet's back up band I shame you with my floyd rose vehemently.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1271 on: February 04, 2019, 07:35:05 PM »

Randy Rhoads
Vivian Campbell
Vinnie Moore
John Sykes
Yngwie Malmsteen
John Petrucci
Gary Moore
Eddie Van Halen
Andy Laroque
Jason Becker

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1272 on: February 04, 2019, 07:49:10 PM »
Results Part 4

Evermind

Judas Priest - Dreamer Deceiver 5.1
   My man, I wish you had stuck with your first choice. I do not like this, simple as that. Part of it has to do with the plodding songwriting, but the majority is Mickey Mouse impersonating a tea kettle on vocals. Unnecessarily high wailing, it's warbly, thin, and too much. Unfortunately this song just highlights my biggest problem with Priest: Rob Halford. It gets points for that airy mystical 70s production but that's about it.

Savatage - Labyrinths / Follow Me 8.8
   Labyrinths, of course, being the 'intro' to Follow Me. Labyrinths is very pretty, I appreciate the doubling of electric guitar with piano... and then more electric guitar. Jon Oliva on vocals, correct? A young Jon Oliva. Sounds great. Yeah, Follow Me is good, though I dislike when it slows down. But when it speeds up, this is a rocker, I really like it.

Darkwater - Alive Pt. II 9.2
   I swear I watched a music video for this recently... this just came out, right? Lordy. This is really good. Sometimes I think that chorus is a little generic and uninspired but it's not, it's just catchy... lots of tasty licks here and there, great soloing... everything sounds slick. Nice head bobbin' tune. [+1 BP]

Current Score: 42.19 [+7 BP]
Round 6 Score: 23.10 [+1 BP]
Average: 7.70
Movement: 8 spaces
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 49.89 [+8 BP]

As you approach a clearing, a din rises from the grass. Colorful mushrooms, sentient - and angry - have surrounded you with shroomy fists and evil eyes, ready to fung you up. You have a flashback to that time with your college roomate at the Tool show.

wolfking

Evil Masquerade - Black Ravens Cry 8.8
   Killer. The drums make this really catchy because the vocal line doesn't exactly move fast, so it keeps this danceable rhythm going with an interesting melodic progression. Christ that really makes me sound stiff and boring, but yeah, this is a fun song that has a unique vibe and makes me interested in the group. Really nice.

Pretty Maids - Pandemonium 8.5
   My first thought was that this is the song that inspired Edguy's song "Breathe" - the synth line is what gave it away. Anyway, this song rocks. The synth just works really well with the rest of the band, and the band is super heavy in the verses but is a bit lighter (but still huge) in the chorus, that's key for me. Chorus didn't grab me at first but repeat listens made it click. Nice rocker.

Machine Men - No Talk Without The Giants 8.2
   Pretty even heavy metal spread here, this one just lacks a bit in the chorus. Otherwise, it's kind of standard. I love how the drums hold down the beat - gives the start of the verses a nice sound.

Current Score: 42.69 [+4 BP]
Round 6 Score: 25.50
Average: 8.50
Movement:  9 spaces
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 51.19

Two Harpies have cut you off as you make your way through the canyons in the land of shadows. Baring their yellowed fangs, they're out for blood. Will you slay them, or will you become bird food?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 05:59:10 PM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1273 on: February 04, 2019, 07:51:39 PM »
Dammit.  I can barely keep my eyes open. I need to go to bed! :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1274 on: February 04, 2019, 07:53:06 PM »
You nodded off early last night too! Damn old man!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1275 on: February 04, 2019, 07:54:34 PM »
Oh no.  I hit the hay at midnight.  Woke up at 5:45am

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1276 on: February 04, 2019, 07:59:28 PM »
Three gems there Kade

Tim, I'll grant you 5 of those guitarists, but JP cannot be considered an 80s guitarist.  You knew that was cheating. Rhoads is a stretch considering he was dead for most of the decade.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1277 on: February 04, 2019, 08:00:40 PM »
Dammit.  I can barely keep my eyes open. I need to go to bed! :lol

I'm trying  :lol almost there

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1278 on: February 04, 2019, 08:06:10 PM »
Part 5 [Final]

kingshmegland

Styx - Red Storm 8.4
   This isn't the Styx I'm familiar with, which is... Come Sail Away and Mr. Roboto. Didn't even know they were still making new music. This is cool and way less cheesy than either of those, it's almost like a different band. This is about space, clearly. Really surprising playing and creativity in the writing. Never knew about this side of Styx, so kudos for confusing me a bit with this.

Umphrey's McGee - Rocker 8.7
   Not sure what I expected but it sure wasn't this... the softness of it all took me by surprise. Lovely composition, it's not too busy but all the activity keeps things interesting for me. I like this one a lot.

Stone Temple Pilots - Pretty Penny 7.2
   I wouldn't call myself a STP fan but they have a couple songs I like well enough, and a couple I really can't stand. I feel like I've heard this before but I can't be sure. Gives me this dirty 90s grungey vibe either way. Not gonna lie, just not feeling this one.

Current Score: 42.96 [+4 BP]
Round 6 Score: 24.30 [+1 BP]
Average: 8.10~
Movement: 8 spaces
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 51.06 [+4 BP]

The murderous Manbearpig has found you and will not stop until one of you is dead. For the king, for the land, for the mountains - fight!

Sacul

DJ Shadow - Building Steam With A Grain of Salt 8.5
   This is definitely what I think of when I think of 'Sacul music.' Good stuff. Reminds me of the album 'program music II' you sent me in my first roulette. Not a whole lot to say about this, it's good chill music that elaborates on a really fun and simple piano riff. But it's high enough to sound like bells, and as a result not sound so annoying by being played over and over. Cool piece.

Arcade Fire - In the Backseat 7.4
   This is okay. Not what I expected, but still curious. Not sure what exactly it is, but it definitely has this 'indie' sound that permeates everything, maybe it's the drums. I like the violin. Doesn't make me want to check them out too much, but it's a nice little tune with a nice steady beat.

DARKSIDE - Heart 8.7
   Not sure what genre this is but it's really chill and I like it. I've been listening to a lot of random chill songs lately and this would fit right in. Not much to say about it honestly, I just like it.

Current Score: 42.87 [+7 BP]
Round 6 Score: 24.60
Average: 8.20
Movement:  8 spaces
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 51.07 [+7 BP]

A Beastfrog has found you along the boundary of the northern wastes, and is ready to pounce. Ribbit apart.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 05:59:26 PM by Kattelox »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1279 on: February 04, 2019, 08:09:12 PM »
Three gems there Kade

Tim, I'll grant you 5 of those guitarists, but JP cannot be considered an 80s guitarist.  You knew that was cheating. Rhoads is a stretch considering he was dead for most of the decade.

So sub out JP with Paul Gilbert.

Look, White Lion fucking blows. I actually saw them in 1987 and stood 25' from Vito Bratta. Did not make an impression.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1280 on: February 04, 2019, 08:14:42 PM »
TASTES!  White Lion is average; Bratta was god-tier.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1281 on: February 04, 2019, 08:23:59 PM »
12. Parama the Owl-Roamer: 8.56 = 8.56
n/a

11. Indiscipline:   8.06 / 7.13 / 8.93 / 8.77 / 8.40 / 8.63 = 49.92
n/a
Move 9

10. Evermind:   7.63 / 7.23 / 9.10 / 9.03 / 9.20 / 7.70 = 49.89 [+8 BP]
Up 1 spot
Move 8

9. Stadler:   8.67 / 8.33 / 8.76 / 7.83 / 9.30 / 7.30 = 50.19 [+4 BP]
Down 4 spots
Move 7

8. Elite:   8.17 / 7.90 / 7.63 / 9.03 / 9.20 / 8.76 = 50.69 [+5 BP]
Up 2 spots
Move 9

7. jingle.boy:   8.47 / 8.57 / 8.73 / 9.23 / 8.60 / 7.10 = 50.70 [+5 BP]
Down 5 spots
Move 7

6. Puppies_On_Acid:   8.73 / 8.37 / 9.43 / 8.67 / 7.76 / 8.06 = 51.02 [+4 BP]
Down 2 spots
Move 8

5. kingshmegland:   8.37 / 8.03 / 8.80 / 9.00 / 8.76 / 8.10 = 51.06 [+4 BP]
Down 1 spot
Move 8

4. Sacul:   7.50 / 8.40 / 8.60 / 9.27 / 9.10 / 8.20 = 51.07 [+7 BP]
Up 2 spots
Move 8

3. wolfking:   8.40 / 8.43 / 9.43 / 8.63 / 7.80 / 8.50 = 51.19 [+4 BP]
Up 4 spots
Move 9

3. TAC:   7.46 / 8.57 / 9.20 / 9.00 / 8.00 / 8.96 = 51.19 [+5 BP]
Up 5 spots
Move 9

1. Nekov:   8.53 / 8.27 / 8.90 / 9.50 / 8.86 / 7.83 = 51.89 [+7 BP]
n/a
Move 8

---

TAC had the widest leap of anyone so far if my math is correct. If it weren't for the tie he would've shot up 6 places.

---

The colored spaces indicate the following challenges:

Green: Elves! Forest theme. Bonus points for no distorted guitars, folk and stringed instruments, soft percussion, and lyrics about nature.

Brown: Dwarves! Earth theme. Bonus points for songs about drinking, songs that rock hard, or a song with a super tight and heavy rhythm section.

Blue: Pirates! Water theme. Bonus points for songs about the sea, traveling on water, drinking, or all things pirate-related.

Red: Dragons! Fire theme. Bonus points for music that is really fast, heavy, epic, and/or about dragons and fire.

Pink: Three songs from an artist I have never heard before (nothing on RYM, a significant lack of listens on Last.FM, consult with me if unsure)
Purple: Three songs from different decades.
Orange: Three songs from the same decade.
Yellow: Three songs from the same year.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 08:39:22 PM by Kattelox »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1282 on: February 04, 2019, 08:40:05 PM »
Lord... I already had the work half-started and that still took 4.5 hours to knock out. Send your shit for round 7, I'm going to bed  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1283 on: February 04, 2019, 08:54:41 PM »
Ouch... last place that round, and the lowest score by anyone the whole roulette so far!  I'd predicted to Katt a 4 spot drop, but turned out it was 5!  Glad I'm on a non-themed spot, and don't have any 'challenge' to accept.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1284 on: February 04, 2019, 09:30:29 PM »
10. Evermind:   7.63 / 7.23 / 9.10 / 9.03 / 9.20 / 7.70 = 49.89 [+8 BP]
Up 1 spot
Move 8

I was 9th last time I think. :lol

I guess you really don't like Judas Priest, yeah. Also it's not Jon Oliva on this Savatage album, it's Zachary Stevens.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1285 on: February 04, 2019, 10:32:52 PM »
Three gems there Kade

Oh SNAP!

One thing is clear, though: Katt DOES NOT LIKE Rob Halford.   I sent my favorite Halford performance ever (that ENDING!) and Evermind came in a close second with Dreamer Deceiver. 

Let it ring from the hills to the hollows, sayeth Lord Jethro of Avalon, the Judas Priest is not welcome here! Be smote!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1286 on: February 04, 2019, 10:34:34 PM »
Three gems there Kade

So sub out JP with Paul Gilbert.

Look, White Lion fucking blows. I actually saw them in 1987 and stood 25' from Vito Bratta. Did not make an impression.

Huh; I LIKE Bratta, but you have a compelling argument with that list.   I don't know Andy Laquer, but I'm hard pressed to take Vito Bratta over Paul Gilbert.    Hot damn. 

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1287 on: February 04, 2019, 11:12:15 PM »
Sent for round 7
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1288 on: February 05, 2019, 12:19:42 AM »
Nice, kinda disappointed on the Arcade Fire score, I think you should really listen to that album, may not seem much at first but it's quite an emotional journey imo.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1289 on: February 05, 2019, 03:33:37 AM »
Nice, kinda disappointed on the Arcade Fire score, I think you should really listen to that album, may not seem much at first but it's quite an emotional journey imo.

Well, you kind of sent the least appealing song, I'd say. But sure, Kattelox should indeed listen to the full album, because it's great.

About my score: wow!  did not expect that :lol especially the VOLA I thought could be an easy miss, but the Madder Mortem isn't exactly straight-forward either. In fact, the most straight-forward song got the lowest score. I might actually go all-out with the experimental and avant-garde next round :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1290 on: February 05, 2019, 04:22:57 AM »
Three gems there Kade

Yeah, solid enough scores gets me back up to third.

Randy may have been gone for a part of the decade but his work on two studio albums and one live album outshines a vast majority of every other guitarist that produced material for the whole decade.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1291 on: February 05, 2019, 04:30:44 AM »
Huh; I LIKE Bratta, but you have a compelling argument with that list.   I don't know Andy Laquer, but I'm hard pressed to take Vito Bratta over Paul Gilbert.    Hot damn.

I agree... I'm not gonna die on the hill on this topic.  I just thought Tim might have some wits about him and concede that Bratta being Top 10 from the decade is a plausible notion.  I should've known better.  :lol

For Mr. Crowley, Glam = blasphemey.

P.S.  Shame on you Tim for not including Rik Emmett in your list.   >:(

Now, on to find the songs that will earn me that triple 9

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1292 on: February 05, 2019, 04:35:52 AM »
I haven't heard much of Bratta but I'm pretty confident he's not a top 10 80's guitarist.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1293 on: February 05, 2019, 04:38:51 AM »

Randy Rhoads
Vivian Campbell
Vinnie Moore
John Sykes
Yngwie Malmsteen
John Petrucci
Gary Moore
Eddie Van Halen
Andy Laroque
Jason Becker

Yeah, I will agree with Chad Tim that you can't really count JP.

I LOVE that you included Andy LaRocque.  My top 10 would include TMac and Satch too.  Tipton would be top 5 and even Murray and Smith would probably make the cut but that's just purely cause they are Maiden not from a technical point of view.  Meniketti worth a shout also.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. Send for round 6 by Saturday or be dragon food
« Reply #1294 on: February 05, 2019, 04:42:37 AM »
I don't have confidence in 1 of my 3 songs honestly, the other 2 should do just fine.

Called it. @katt: Did you watch the video as I recommended? You might not like the song but you will have a laugh  :smiley:

I don't remember if I took the decade challenge yet. I will look into that and find stuff to send today
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants.