Author Topic: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. Final Results (finally) - thank you for playing :)  (Read 96092 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Katt, great job, my man.  Thanks for having me, and thanks for listening.

Couple thoughts:
- Parama, good call on "Transatlanticism"; good tune. I got that and Night FLight Orchestra in my roulette and was pleasantly surprised by both.

- Good call on the "Neverland" by Marillion.  That's a stunning song in my opinion.

- Chicago; if you're into them you've got to dig in. I'm just starting now, and there's some good shit buried in there.  Try "Feelin' Stronger Every Day"; it's kind of a good cross between the flat out playing and the more melodic, Pete Cetera stuff. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. Final Results (finally)
« Reply #1856 on: March 04, 2019, 09:30:19 AM »
Mike, thanks so much for having me on your Roulette.  I hope I opened up new musical avenues for you.  Sharing the love of music it what it's all about.

You sure did, my man. Got a lot on my plate now!

Overall I'm actually pretty happy with how I did here. Glad you enjoyed quite a few of the songs I sent. This was a fun roulette, 11/10, would narrowly dodge getting roasted by a dragon again.... :biggrin:

I'd totally be down to do another game-style roulette although I'd tighten it up for sure. :biggrin:

Katt, this roulette has been a really lovely experience, and I'm sorry I have slowed down its pace for bit. I'm obviously glad you've liked some stuff I sent, but the greatest thing has been feeling like I wasn't just selecting music to be approved, but pouring new cocktails for a thirsty buddy, and what's better than that?

All good my friend, no need to apologize. Glad you had fun. :hug:

:omg: Hell yeah :2metal: 

I was really worried that I would end up in the middle of the pack this time since I started with the wrong foot and the competition was fierce  :lol

Thanks Katt for running this, had fun sending bands I don't usually get the chance to send, and hope you have fun digging into all the bands we sent you here - you'll certainly have enough music for a couple of years at least.

Btw, Burial is Future Garage and Dubstep, and that record is amazing - the first electronic album I got into, and even now, the one I love the most.

I noticed that, too - you came back fairly well! Yeah I have a ton of music just from you to check out and that's great because my collection has been in dire need of electronic/chill stuff lately, this roulette was thankfully the shot in the arm it needed. Hope you play in my next for sure  :corn

It does feel a little bit like I was mugged but it is what it is. Congrats Sacul on the win!
Katt, I'm really glad you enjoyed most of the music I sent and I hope you'll enjoy discovering more of those bands yourself. The roulettes & dragons thing you pulled off was one of a kind and super fun while it lasted, I would love to repeat it some time in the future.  :smiley:

I've had some of your songs (and others' as well) stuck in my head since the start of the roulette. Really psyched to check out Apparat, for example, 'cause Song of Los is one of my favorite songs in the whole roulette.

Katt, great job, my man.  Thanks for having me, and thanks for listening.

Couple thoughts:
- Parama, good call on "Transatlanticism"; good tune. I got that and Night FLight Orchestra in my roulette and was pleasantly surprised by both.

- Good call on the "Neverland" by Marillion.  That's a stunning song in my opinion.

- Chicago; if you're into them you've got to dig in. I'm just starting now, and there's some good shit buried in there.  Try "Feelin' Stronger Every Day"; it's kind of a good cross between the flat out playing and the more melodic, Pete Cetera stuff. 

Thanks for playing. Loved filling in a lot of the gaps in my music from the 70s and 80s thanks to you. Chicago's on my 'deep dive' list 'cause I'm sure there's a lot of buried treasure in that discography.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Chicago is NOT on my deep dive list! In case you were wondering Stadler! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Chicago is NOT on my deep dive list! In case you were wondering Stadler! ;D

Early Chicago should be.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That’s taking a chance.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Early Chicago were pioneers in music.  Once Terry Kath passed away they lost their creativity.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Without saying too much, with my first submittal I feel like I've gone far enough out on the limb.   Might be moving slowly back to the trunk on the next round.  :)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. Final Results (finally)
« Reply #1862 on: March 04, 2019, 04:16:54 PM »
Wow Turn Me Loose with a 9.3, that'll do me haha.

Exactly the fucking score it deserves.   :metal
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Early Chicago were pioneers in music.  Once Terry Kath passed away they lost their creativity.

Terry Kath, Top 50 guitarist. All time.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Was he the one who accidentally shot himself in the head or was that a different band

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
No that is correct.  Parama, there is a great rock doc by his daughter called "The Terry Kath Experience." Worth the watch. The band members talking to his daughter breaking down shows the pain they still feel 40 years later.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Those first 6 Chicago albums are all awesome!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Terry Kath, Top 50 guitarist. All time.

Top 50 idiot.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Alas, that's a way more difficult Top 50 to crack. I should know.  :D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Hey folks so I've still been listening to a lot of music from this roulette and I've added dozens and dozens of songs from the game into my normal listening playlists. I sat down a few minutes ago and tried to hammer out my top 10 absolute favorites songs from this monstrous roulette. A couple of these could change if you asked me in an hour, but I think this is really solid. (Some of my opinions on the songs have gone up and down over time, not just these top 10!)

Thrice - The Whaler (Elite, Round 4)
Rainbow - Fire Dance (Stadler, Round 9)
fox capture plan - Asian Dancer (Nekov, Round 7)
Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill (Indiscipline, Round 7)
Marillion - Neverland (Puppies_On_Acid, Round 4)
Kiev - Ariah Being (Nekov, Round 4)
Casualties of Cool - Moon (Sacul, Round 4)
Apparat - Song of Los (Nekov, Round 1)
David Bowie - Lazarus (Sacul, Round 2)
Lost In Thought - Blood Red Diamond (jingle.boy, Round 4)

Serious Black and a ton of other power metal could very easily make this top 10, but these are ones that have had the biggest impact not only the first time I heard them, but now, and they've been stuck in my head ever since I heard them. More shoutouts to Freaky Jelly (king), Daydream XI (jingle), and a lot of the Jorn stuff (wolfking). Thanks again for all the amazing songs  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm still amazed you never heard Solsbury Hill.  That just be the old fart in me who listened to radio as a kid.  Just a big hit for a song in 7/4 time.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm still amazed you never heard Solsbury Hill.  That just be the old fart in me who listened to radio as a kid.  Just a big hit for a song in 7/4 time.

I'm sure I heard it years and years ago when I heard the comparisons between it and DT's Solitary Shell, but yeah, I'm surprised, too. There are lots of classics I've never really heard, Stadler and Indiscipline did a good job on that front :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Your wallet will be very light with all this new music to you.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
It's already lighter than air!  :lol

I got my old job back so I'll finally be getting a guaranteed 40 hours every week (I didn't have a single check this year at the new gig that was even close to a normal check here, I've lost about $1500 due to being short on hours all year). So I'll finally be able to buy some music again. I still gotta buy a few 2019 releases.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
casualties of cool is so friggin' good  :metal

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
casualties of cool is so friggin' good  :metal
That's a 5 star album right there.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Yay!  Nice to see 7th place got three shout outs.  :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion