Author Topic: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. Final Results (finally) - thank you for playing :)  (Read 98579 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. Round 4 results part 2
« Reply #910 on: January 13, 2019, 10:39:03 AM »
:omg:

You killed it.  Mike posted a song on Facebook and I've got to buy it now.  Fantastic.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #911 on: January 13, 2019, 10:45:04 AM »
No lie. I love all of those but Thought Pool and Ariah Being in particular are just spectacular and Ariah Being was the one I shared.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #912 on: January 13, 2019, 11:12:00 AM »
Damn, I'm sucking!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #913 on: January 13, 2019, 11:41:34 AM »
The King of Wolves, the Hanged Man, and the King of the Smeglands were last to wake up, shivering and cold. The wind had picked up, and it was beginning to rain. Cursing their companions for leaving them, and nursing a slight hangover, the three amigos raced down the muddying road in hopes of catching up.

wolfking

Last Tribe - Wake Up The World 8.5

Sly and bold of you to send more Magnus Karlsson from another band. Wake Up The World is a good song, but I do tend to daydream more easily when metal plays at midtempo, so I like when there is more activity like in this song's chorus. Kind of a straightforward rocker.

Last Tribe - Messenger 8.4

Kind of similar to Wake Up The World but shoutout to the vocalist. I enjoy the 80s rock production on his voice and early on I swear I thought it was a young Jorn Lande singing the verse. Another catchy number, but I know I've heard other MK stuff I like more than this.

Last Tribe - Wash Your Sins Away 9.0

Magnus Karlsson is one guy who I can usually identify when he's involved with something, but I'm having a tough time doing that with Last Tribe, especially this song. And this is more like it - I'm a big fan of when the synths come in at the bridge, and how the vocals are layered at just the right spots. I'd be lying if I said I'm dying to listen to this album at this point, but this was my favorite of the three and at the very least sounds different from the usual MK sound I can quickly identify. I struggled with scoring these probably more than anybody else's.

Current Score: 26.26 [+3 BP]
Round 4 Score: 25.90 [+1 BP]
Average: 8.63~
Movement: 9 spaces
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 34.89 [+4 BP]

kingshmegland

Slow Motion Reign - Life Simulator 9.0

Hypnotic. I don't dislike the vocals but I was wishing this would be an instrumental given how great the start of the song is. I like how it builds up but it doesn't build too much and ruin the mood. This is curious and I don't know what genre you'd call this...

Incubus - Dig 9.0

I don't think I actually know a single Incubus song, except for this one now. I always thought Incubus was a 90s rock band that disappeared ages ago, so I'm surprised. I like this! The bass is audible and I like the singer and chorus. This round has a lot of similar guitar parts, this is one of them. Just a nice laid back rock song.

This Day & Age - The Bell and the Hammer 8.0

This is a good tune, but I think I liked the other TD&A song more. I really like the swell of guitars and keys before the 4 minute mark, and the bass occasionally goes into this really fun groove, but I'm afraid this song is a victim of its competition (to again borrow from Stadler) more than anything.

Current Score: 25.20 [+1 BP]
Round 4 Score: 27.00 [+2 BP]
Average: 9.00
Movement: 9 spaces
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 34.20 [+3 BP]

Sacul

Lunatic Soul - Shutting Out The Sun 9.1

The name fits the music and the synths are mesmerizing. I assume the few lyrics at the end are describing depression? The fuzzy guitar riff and drums have this adventurous sound that makes this sound more like an emotional journey than a declaration of inner angst and I like that a lot, and although I don't think they are bad, I think the song was perfect before they came in, and aren't all that necessary. (edit: referring to the lyrics)

Casualties of Cool - Moon 9.5

Oh yeah. This right here. I like a piece that knows it's on to something good and takes its time to build. I feel like I need a cowboy hat and a cigarette listening to this one. Makes me feel like I'm riding a horse out west. This one just keeps going and going (in a very good way) but the ending... why?! Why end such a great piece of art so abruptly? In the context of the album I'm sure it makes sense but on its own I wish it had a proper ending so badly because otherwise this is pure excellence.

BADBADNOTGOOD - Confessions 9.2

First, terrible artist name. Second, great song, love the quartet of piano/sax/bass/drums, that is the perfect jazz combo to me. Sax player and drummer are the stars here. I hope the rest of the album is like this. I am impressed with how good all three of these songs are. I struggled trying to score these because they're all so high and I don't want to be too generous, but I have to be honest, these are all superb and worthy of their scores.

Current Score: 24.50 [+1 BP]
Round 4 Score: 27.80 [+3 BP]
Average: 9.27~
Movement:  9 spaces
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 33.77 [+4 BP]

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 11:53:36 AM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #914 on: January 13, 2019, 11:44:23 AM »
Make your moves west, send for round 5! There is still plenty of time to change your position in the ranks. Remember, the only cutoff will be at the end of round 9, when bonus points will come into play.

11. Elite:   8.17 / 7.90 / 7.63 / 9.03 = 32.73 [+3 BP]

10. Indiscipline:   8.06 / 7.13 / 8.93 / 8.77 = 32.89

9. Evermind:   7.63 / 7.23 / 9.10 / 9.03 = 32.99 [+4 BP]

8. Stadler:   8.67 / 8.33 / 8.76 / 7.83 = 33.59 [+1 BP]

7. Sacul:   7.50 / 8.40 / 8.60 / 9.27 = 33.77 [+4 BP]

6. kingshmegland:   8.37 / 8.03 / 8.80 / 9.00 = 34.20 [+3 BP]

5. TAC:   7.46 / 8.57 / 9.20 / 9.00 = 34.23 [+4 BP]

4. wolfking:   8.40 / 8.43 / 9.43 / 8.63 = 34.89 [+4 BP]

3. jingle.boy:   8.47 / 8.57 / 8.73 / 9.23 = 35.00 [+3 BP]

1. Nekov:   8.53 / 8.27 / 8.90 / 9.50 = 35.20 [+3 BP]

1. Puppies_On_Acid:   8.73 / 8.37 / 9.43 / 8.67 = 35.20 [+4 BP]

The colored spaces indicate the following challenges:

Green: Elves! Forest theme. Bonus points for no distorted guitars, folk and stringed instruments, soft percussion, and lyrics about nature.

Brown: Dwarves! Earth theme. Bonus points for songs about drinking, songs that rock hard, or a song with a super tight and heavy rhythm section.

Blue: Pirates! Water theme. Bonus points for songs about the sea, traveling on water, drinking, or all things pirate-related.

Red: Dragons! Fire theme. Bonus points for music that is really fast, heavy, epic, and/or about dragons and fire.

Pink: Three songs from an artist I have never heard before (nothing on RYM, a significant lack of listens on Last.FM, consult with me if unsure)
Purple: Three songs from different decades.
Orange: Three songs from the same decade.
Yellow: Three songs from the same year.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. Round 4 results FINALLY
« Reply #915 on: January 13, 2019, 12:15:57 PM »
Hell yeah second highest score of the round and still near the bottom  :metal .

The BADBADNOTGOOD album is amazing and very varied, sometimes it's like that song, but it goes through these very atmospheric and quite moments to some more explosive and crazy ones. Fantastic atmosphere they got there.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #916 on: January 13, 2019, 12:17:35 PM »
Stadler dropped 4 spots so there's hope for you. You're on the right track.  :biggrin: I'm really excited to listen to that album.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #917 on: January 13, 2019, 12:37:30 PM »
Happy with the score!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #918 on: January 13, 2019, 12:47:59 PM »
I was a little worried about the Mastodon song, mostly because of the vocals. I'm glad you liked the instrumentation so much, especially the drums. Brann Dailor is the drummer and he got his start back in the early 90's in a technical death metal band with another Mastodon member, Bill Kelliher. Needless to say he is a beast on the drums.

I'm so happy Neverland scored so well. It is perhaps my favorite song on my favorite album of all time. Definitely check out the full Marbles album (the 2 disc version, not the single disc version that's missing half the story).
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #919 on: January 13, 2019, 01:03:50 PM »
Will read everything later, but a couple comments I noticed. Flaming Row ... you're probably referencing Magali Luyten. She sings on 01, and Flaming Row .... AND she's the female vox on Obsessions (the song), where the male vocalist is Kelly Carpenter - the same duo that sung on one of my earlier submissions, Serpentine.

Gained on Puppies, But not as much as Diego - nice round my friend. Gotta check those tracks out.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 08:00:19 PM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #920 on: January 13, 2019, 01:30:33 PM »
Holy shit that was Kelly?! Wow. I almost always instantly recognize him...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #921 on: January 13, 2019, 02:07:09 PM »
Hmm, a slight miss.  Oh well gotta keep going.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #922 on: January 13, 2019, 02:09:04 PM »
Katt, are we allowed to send a song from a band we've used in a previous round? Please say yes.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #923 on: January 13, 2019, 02:09:41 PM »
If they scored less than 9, I'll take it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #924 on: January 13, 2019, 02:12:41 PM »

Fuck!  I knew I should have saved them.  >:(

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #925 on: January 13, 2019, 02:16:30 PM »
So I'm guessing all bands that have been sent by everyone is pretty much banned too then?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #926 on: January 13, 2019, 02:18:14 PM »
If they got 9 or greater, sure. But if that restricts your submissions too much, I'm flexible.  Just let me know what you want to send. :biggrin: For example Echolyn didn't do so hot but since I'm asking for so much music, I said they can be sent again if someone wants to try to do better.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #927 on: January 13, 2019, 03:07:36 PM »
I blew my load with a band earlier that I wanted to send for the theme I've landed on.  It's a perfect song for the theme, I mean perfect.  I might send it as a fourth song just to show you.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #928 on: January 13, 2019, 03:31:18 PM »
Ok, now that I'm on a computer.. I'm surprised Vasudeva got such a good score but I'm really glad you liked them. As you said, the song leads into another song so it does end abruptly. Regarding Kiev, that album is killer and you will have a great time listening to it. It has a lot more depth that it seems at first, or at least that was the case for me.

Regarding themes, can I pick the same one again? I think you said yes previously though it must be a different year. Please confirm

But not as much as Diego - nice round my friend. Gotta check those tracks out.

Thanks. I don't think those will be your cup of tea but go ahead, maybe you discover not everything in the world is metal and hard rock  :P
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #929 on: January 13, 2019, 03:55:02 PM »
Yup, just do a different year.  :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #930 on: January 13, 2019, 08:01:21 PM »
Holy shit that was Kelly?! Wow. I almost always instantly recognize him...

Well, if you'd have watched the video.... !!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #931 on: January 14, 2019, 09:27:29 AM »
I forgot. If I land on blue or red, do I have to use three different bands to get bonus points or will one band suffice?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #932 on: January 14, 2019, 09:46:28 AM »

So I can send more Butthole Surfers, then?   

Holy fuck, that song scored almost 2 points lower than ANY other song in the round by my count.   Couldn't have scored lower if I had Jingle send in a song for me. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #933 on: January 14, 2019, 09:57:37 AM »
I forgot. If I land on blue or red, do I have to use three different bands to get bonus points or will one band suffice?

You can use however many bands you'd like, no limit there.

Stadler, you may... but boy was that song a miss. Anything that sounds like Beck, at least that song, makes me itch. Can't win em all, but that's part of the fun :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #934 on: January 14, 2019, 10:17:39 AM »

Stadler, you may... but boy was that song a miss. Anything that sounds like Beck, at least that song, makes me itch. Can't win em all, but that's part of the fun :)

Absolutely no complaints from me; it's part of the game, and I threw a hail mary there.  I'm more bugged by the Deep Purple score, but since you gave Neverland a 9.8 I know you're still of right mind.   I literally cried when they played it on the recent tour; it's probably my favorite Marillion song. 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #935 on: January 14, 2019, 10:24:37 AM »
The perpetual darkness and the stench of death that have taken over the world have made the Wizard from the South more paranoid than before. The food is scarce, the water has turned to poison, silence and death creep in the shadows. The music and the light might not be able to hold the rot that has taken over the world from entering his companions brains, or even his. The crossroad ahead presents an opportunity he cannot squander, he must be rid of them while there is still time. The Wizard casts a spell of shroud, then darts north further into the barren land of the Wastes not looking back. His companions might be astounded to see him disappear that way though he is sure they will understand, it will not be long before they make the same choice.

Sent

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #936 on: January 14, 2019, 11:07:09 AM »
Alithia’s last memory was making camp in solitude amongst some odd shrubbery.  Seems like that was almost 2 months ago.  Now … what in that actual fuq??

Where the hell am I??? 

When the hell am I??? 

Who are these clowns I’m with now?

Oh fuck this shit… I’m clearly not on the path to the castle and the Dragon’s Lair.  Daphne’s toast.  To hell with this charade of being some over-bearing, Righteous, high-level Paladin.  This fucking armour is an absolute bear to drag along.  I’d rather be giving the King of Shmegland a piggy-back.

I gotta be me!

Dirk the Daring... Level 1 Knight; Level 99 Jester; hung like a shetland pony.

Gonna head south … apparently there’s some pirates sitting in the dock of the bay.  Don’t mind if I do me a little rapin’ and pillagin’ myself.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #937 on: January 14, 2019, 11:24:20 AM »
Did jingle just confirm his character is a rapist??

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #938 on: January 14, 2019, 11:26:01 AM »
Apparently yes

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #939 on: January 14, 2019, 11:40:41 AM »
I'll let me submissions do the raping.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #940 on: January 14, 2019, 12:31:01 PM »

And I assume I will get all three bonus points if three songs by one band will score above 9, correct?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #941 on: January 14, 2019, 01:12:51 PM »
Katt, in case it helps me regain any standing, I have a tape of one of Jingle's songs bragging about how it can grab p**** any time it wants.    Can  I use that as one of my submissions?   :)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #942 on: January 14, 2019, 01:30:27 PM »
Katt, in case it helps me regain any standing, I have a tape of one of Jingle's songs bragging about how it can grab p**** any time it wants.    Can  I use that as one of my submissions?   :)

You're fake news.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #943 on: January 14, 2019, 01:38:02 PM »

You're fake news.
No, I'm a big fat giant hoax.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #944 on: January 14, 2019, 01:44:01 PM »

You're fake news.
No, I'm a big fat giant hoax.

So, just like your supposed roulette results?