Author Topic: Indiscipline's Roulette v. The Dirty Aftermath  (Read 125517 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Indiscipline's Roulette: The Encino Man - v. The 90s Bring New Results
« Reply #1086 on: October 28, 2018, 12:59:44 PM »
Ok sent one of my biggest guns. If this doesn't do it then we are not a match...

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1087 on: October 28, 2018, 02:37:06 PM »
Magic power is a top ten all time track for me, so it better be scored very high....

Top 5 for me.

The real shame in the above scores is that Frasier is only a 7.0.  Whatever Magic Power is, it better be Cheers or Seinfeld-worthy, and not Blossom.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1088 on: October 28, 2018, 03:40:26 PM »
Oh, Chad. Maybe you will like the vote, but you're gonna focking HATE the show comparison.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1089 on: October 28, 2018, 04:10:34 PM »
 :lol

I've got to be Newman on Seinfeld.   Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1090 on: October 28, 2018, 04:12:26 PM »
Oh, Chad. Maybe you will like the vote, but you're gonna focking HATE the show comparison.  :lol

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1091 on: October 28, 2018, 04:21:05 PM »

All that matters is the vote. You could call my show could be Winger Goes Shopping if you have to..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1092 on: October 28, 2018, 05:01:03 PM »
Alas, I read that too late, Tim.

Mullet Round Results, 2 of 2:

kingshmegland - King Kongshmegland:

World Trade – Open the Door:

Couch Impression: “What If Trevor Rabin wore the Infinity Gauntlet?”
Time Travel Snippet: My brother always considered this “brain-hurting” music.

Peaks: The intro is the very definition of lush and epic, promising way more than eventually delivered, but it's a grandiose piece of music nonetheless. The “crossing over” double tritone section is like an irresistable spice whose aftertaste you just can't stop coming back to. There is a painstakingly crafted depth of textures resembling an alien mosaic filling up every second. Someone must have spent a whole year planning this cut.
Valleys: The majestic opening trot never becomes a galop, but it settles on a comfortable parade pace, sometimes too enamored of its gorgeous sound to care about flow. Black Light Machine had the same musical and production DNA, but it actually moved with a distinct sense of direction this tune could really borrow.

Vote: 7.3 – E.R.

:scio: Evermind - Cockroach Sympathizers:

Savatage – Labyrinths / Follow Me:

Couch Impression: “What If science finally realised Italian-American guitarists have the highest % chance to sport the Virtuoso DNA?”
Time Travel Snippet: I was into full Image and Words discovery/obsession. This was just obsolete.

Peaks: The Labyrinth section is simply the way I would have loved every post-Seventh Son Maiden album to begin. Follow Me is a beast of contrasts, creating a sort of lucky fascinating mix. We have the most abused chord progression in pop and rock history kept alive by enchanted arpeggio islands and impressive moments of genuine '80s Metallica rage. Beauty of the ball is the pure heavy metal section, featuring a uniquely toned solo I'm kicking myself for not knowing when I actually had the chops to have fun with it.
Valleys: Well, the most abused chord progression in pop and rock history, plus a vocalist juggling soft storyteller and berserk thunderer identities, often fumbling.

Vote: 7.5 – NYPD

:ariich: ariich – Sexin'-You-Laters:

Michel Camilo – Not Yet:

Couch Impression: “What If someone built a Tower of Power in the Caribbean?”
Time Travel Snippet: My father had already stopped checking out new music, otherwise he would have loved this.

Peaks: The main leading phrase is absolutely the best riff of the roulette so far, dramatic, funny and spunky at the same time. A pianoman I could describe as the optimist Petrucciani, a great second sax soloing “outside” with rare levity, and a bassman from Titan. The big band is incredibly tight and I love the way it makes me realise it's “big” only when strictly needed (the dedicated brass ensemble unison spots are a joy).
Valleys: In order to make the leap to a superior tier of rankings, this one really needs some smooth vocals, specifically when it goes on that soft groove Jamiroquai have built a career on. And, of course, more main riff, always, all the time.

Vote: 7.8 – The Fresh Prince of Bel Air

TAC - The aTACkers:

Shooting Star – Last Chance:

Couch Impression: “What If Steve Harris were born in Kansas?”
Time Travel Snippet: My brother was too young and my father too old to buy this. They would have loved it.

Peaks: Deep Purple is my favourite band on odd days, and I'm here stating this is what DP should have done in the eighties. An introductory violin (and later main) melody giving life to a couple of Neal Morse daydreams, definitely PieceofMindish guitar riffing, a classy progressive veil drawn upon a solid hard rock core. Why the fock I know Journey, Styx, Boston and hear of this guys only now? Heads are gonna roll.
Valleys: In order to make the leap to a superior tier of rankings, this tune needs a wee less confusion in the keyboards/orchestral instruments sound department and, above all, a Schenkeresque showstopping guitar solo detonating at the song's climax.

Vote: 8.0 – Cheers

:crypt: Elite - Rich and The Poor Tastes:

Cardiacs – The Duck and Roger The Horse:

Couch Impression: “What If the Joker were into The Mothers of Invention?”
Time Travel Snippet: There is no chance my brother would have liked and brought home this album.

Peaks: Batshit crazy in the best possible way, hiding a cold evil brilliant method. Everything looks like chaos, but nothing is casual. There's an invisible manipulative grasp dragging our senses from anxiety to ecstasy, from punk milkshakes to ice-creamy melodic openings. Giants like Patton and Claypool would have never attained their cult statuses (stati?) without songs like this, and old Frankie would have killed to groom these madmen inside his circus.
Valleys: Without real dynamics, this monstrous blow to musical conventions stays a two-dimentional assault. With real dynamics it would have changed the world.

Vote: 8.4 – Twin Peaks

jingle.boy - Boston Bruins Blow:

Triumph – Magic Power:

Couch Impression: “What If the Sunset Strip were populated by hard-working, good natured dudes?”
Time Travel Snippet: A dozen years later, I would have loved to dedicate this to girlfriend#1.

Peaks: This gets the Kiske treatment, because when a song catches my heart I stop giving a fock about mundane aspects and I proceed by sketches of sense. Thank you for an intro channeling Thank You, thank you for a ton of The Who hidden inside, thank you for THAT three-notes descent. The rest is tear-inducing musical honesty turning hair metal into heart metal. How the fock the world audience chose to idolise, say, U2 over these guys is proof of human race being a colossal mistake.
Valleys: I still have to listen to my brain, and it says a change-of-pace rumbling middle-eight would have made this tune perfect.

Vote: 8.6 – Beverly Hills 90120

:metardica: Puppies_On_Acid - West Coast Lost Marbles:

Anglagard – Kung Bore:

Couch Impression: “What If Howe, Rutherford, Hammer, and Giles formed the Justice League?”
Time Travel Snippet: I suspect this wasn't even distributed in my neck of the woods at that time. And, again, Images and Words monopolised everything.

Peaks: What DT was doing in '92 with Rush and Maiden is exactly what these guys were doing with classic brit prog. Hell, you can tell some passages are not Genesis only by virtue of not English vocals. A million astounding melodies never letting their grip on noble classical references, movements joined with religious responsibility, a central flute theme straight from heaven. This is how prog should have instantly reacted to Hiroshima (early punk) and Nagasaki (disco).
Valleys: Cut that damned spoken segment messing up the final's flow and you've got yourself a fat 10.

Vote: 8.8 – Seinfield

Aefenwelg - The Uhhhh.. Wildcats:

Yezda Urfa - Tota In The Moya:

Couch Impression: “What If Fripp, Squire, Palmer, and the Shulman Bros formed the Avengers?”
Time Travel Snippet: If they had published it when they actually recorded it, this album would have definitely had its place of honour among my father's best.

Peaks: My favourite song in the roulette so far. Classy instrumental choices, myriads of details worth great songs, a robust '70s vinyl feel, perfect essential arrangements (almost like a jazz ensemble), a magical introductory theme (imagine Bruford mixing the best of his two main bands' melody catalogues), a crazy part featuring one of the best bass melodic lines ever heard, a Bach interlude, a majestic Yessish grand finale. This is what Haken should do.
Valleys: Despite trying to ignore the issue for at least ten listens, I can't help but notice the mixing is a clusterfock here and there. Me still ranking this over nine really goes to show how great this song is.

Vote: 9.2 – The Simpsons

My body is ready for your all-star submissions.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1093 on: October 28, 2018, 05:08:31 PM »
my last chance to send a good song  :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1094 on: October 28, 2018, 05:24:49 PM »
Alright, I've got to narrow the songs down for this round.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1095 on: October 28, 2018, 05:32:07 PM »
Sent something smooth and cheerful.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1096 on: October 28, 2018, 05:32:20 PM »

Valleys: In order to make the leap to a superior tier of rankings, this tune needs a wee less confusion in the keyboards/orchestral instruments sound department and, above all, a Schenkeresque showstopping guitar solo detonating at the song's climax.

Pretty much can be said about every song ever recorded!

Vote: 8.0 – Cheers

Yay, Boston!

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1097 on: October 28, 2018, 05:40:37 PM »
Of course, what you all really care for:

The Tranquility Old Farts Conference:

TAC - The aTACkers: 8.4 + 8.3 + 8.0 = 24.7 - WestEndSlut:  :tup :tup, MetalHead:  :tup
kingshmegland - King Kongshmegland: 8.6 + 8.0 + 7.3 = 23.9 - ProgPipe:  :tup  :tup :tup
jingle.boy - Boston Bruins Blow: 7.8 + 7 + 8.6 = 23.4 - WestEndSlut:  :tup, :tup
lonestar - Team Fuck Canada: 8.8 + 7.5 + 6.5 = 22.8 - MetalHead:  :tup  :tup
Stadler - The Hartford Walers: 6.6 + 8.5 + 6.8 = 21.9 - BaroqueWig:  :tup
romdrums - Seedy Rom and The Hard Drives: 7.0 + 8.3 + 6.0 = 21.3 - MetalHead:  :tup
:metal: DestinyOfChaos - The One Trick Ponies: 7.3 + 7.5 + 5.8 = 20.6 - MetalHead:  :tup
Kattelox - The Rainbow Warriors: 6.8 + 6.0 + 6.5 = 19.3

The Cetaphil Young Turks Conference:

Parama - Six Roaming Owls: 9.0 + 6.8 + 7.0 = 22.8 - BaroqueWig:  :tup
:scio: Evermind - Cockroach Sympathizers: 8.0 + 7.3 + 7.5 = 22.8 - WestEndSlut:  :tup, MetalHead: :tup
:metardica: Puppies_On_Acid - West Coast Lost Marbles: 6.2 + 7.7 + 8.8 = 22.7 - WestEndSlut:  :tup, ProgPie: :tup
Aefenwelg - The Uhhhh.. Wildcats: 6.4 + 6.8 + 9.2 = 22.4 – ProgPipe: :tup
:ariich: ariich - Sexin'-You-Laters: 7.0 + 7.5 + 7.8 = 22.3 - HeroinBop:  :tup :tup
:crypt: Elite - Rich and The Poor Tastes: 7.3 + 6.6 + 8.4 = 22.3 – HeroinBop: :tup
Sacul - Hangmanen Addicts: 9.0 + 6.2 + 7.0 = 22.2 - HeroinBop:  :tup
:shadowninja: Shadow Ninja 2.0 - Wayward Vagabonds: 7.6 + 6.4 + 6.3 = 20.3 - MetalHead:  :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1098 on: October 28, 2018, 05:42:22 PM »
how am i still at the top of the division, that's absurd

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1099 on: October 28, 2018, 05:45:50 PM »
Only one under 20 points and I've actually been trying!  :lol Sorry to let my elders down.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1100 on: October 28, 2018, 05:56:49 PM »
Fun fact:

Old Farts Points Average: 22.2375
Young Turks Points Average: 22.2250

Offline Aefenwelg

« Reply #1101 on: October 28, 2018, 06:14:53 PM »
wowee, top score of the roulette so far.

Well, I'll rectify that mistake with what I just submitted.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1102 on: October 28, 2018, 07:57:08 PM »
First... I'll take it.  Best fogey submission.  Cha-ching

Second... I hope none of what I'm about to say impacts my chances for the all-star score.

If I was gonna get a faux-teenager school drama as my TV Show, the least you could've done was come north of the 49th, and award me one solid Degrassi Jr. High  ;). None-the-less, since the show was Beverly Hills 90210 (not sure where 90120 is... perhaps it's around the corner from 90125??), I'll assign my own TV Show - Star Trek: TNG... no, wait... Party of Five.  If it was 80s throwback, I would have insisted on Airwolf.

Sending shortly.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1103 on: October 28, 2018, 08:08:14 PM »
Freely admits I wanted to get laid and watched 90120.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1104 on: October 28, 2018, 08:11:33 PM »

I was more of a Melrose Place guy, but I feel you. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1105 on: October 28, 2018, 08:13:17 PM »
Oh that was my dating for a while, still getting laid show.

I also married her and today is our 24th wedding anniversary.  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1106 on: October 28, 2018, 08:27:46 PM »
If I was gonna get a faux-teenager school drama as my TV Show, the least you could've done was come north of the 49th, and award me one solid Degrassi Jr. High  ;). None-the-less, since the show was Beverly Hills 90210 (not sure where 90120 is... perhaps it's around the corner from 90125??), I'll assign my own TV Show - Star Trek: TNG... no, wait... Party of Five.  If it was 80s throwback, I would have insisted on Airwolf.

Would you STFU?  :lol

I'm 50/50 with you on that proposition.

Some of us didn't have to sit through 90210 to get laid..:neverusethis:

Just sayin'.. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1107 on: October 28, 2018, 08:31:55 PM »
It's like you don't understand the game bro.  It's who your with and how to please.

Padawan,  you have failed me.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1108 on: October 28, 2018, 08:32:14 PM »

Would you STFU?  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1109 on: October 28, 2018, 08:43:38 PM »
Nah, I was just laughing when I read your post. Like you practically won the round, and you're complaining about the TV show.. It was just funny.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1110 on: October 28, 2018, 08:46:22 PM »
It's like Tim is Manny Machado. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1111 on: October 28, 2018, 08:48:11 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1112 on: October 28, 2018, 08:49:41 PM »
Nah, I was just laughing when I read your post. Like you practically won the round, and you're complaining about the TV show.. It was just funny.

You'd be complaining too if you were 90210!   :rollin

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1113 on: October 28, 2018, 08:50:41 PM »

You'd be complaining too if you were 90210!   :rollin

Hell f'n yes!! :rollin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1114 on: October 28, 2018, 08:53:55 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1115 on: October 28, 2018, 08:55:46 PM »
Yeah, well... you know how it is.....

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1116 on: October 28, 2018, 09:01:17 PM »
I'm modern dude.  You'd know that if you were on Facebook.

:neverusethis:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1117 on: October 28, 2018, 09:14:49 PM »
I'm modern dude.  You'd know that if you were on Facebook.

:neverusethis:

Oh shit. :lol

Now I owe you TWO stories... :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1118 on: October 28, 2018, 10:32:08 PM »
Couldn't be happier with my score! I hear you on the spoken word bit, that was really the only part I was worried about.

I will think if something to send for round 4 now.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1119 on: October 28, 2018, 10:38:21 PM »
9.2? Holy fock! However, Haken shouldn't do that, as they're doing just fine now.

Sending Round 4 in a few minutes.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.