Author Topic: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread  (Read 60950 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread
« Reply #490 on: August 07, 2022, 09:59:18 PM »
Well, this Thursday evening is when I'm taking off to Chicago.  As always, I have no idea what to do in the area outside of the live show I'm seeing.  Definitely going to walk around Lincoln Park and I've listed some restaurants that I'm looking forward to eating at. 

As for my trip planning to Orlando in late September, things are starting to come together.  The flight/hotel prices are getting near the range I want to pay.  It comes to a matter of either flying out of John Wayne Airport or LAX.  I discovered that I can take a train from the ARTIC in Anaheim to Union Station in LA and then take a bus shuttle directly from Union Station to LAX and the entire trip would take up to 90 minutes.  Thus get rid of the need to park at a hotel parking lot near LAX for three nights.  It's all coming together now.
Fly out of John Wayne!  :lol

Myself, it's time for me to figure out what my So-Cal travel is going to be. Right now I only know I'm seeing a show Friday night, and heading to MEX Saturday morning (and SNA is not an option). It might be a very quick jaunt. I might spend a week catching shows and checking out some lesser traveled bits of California.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #491 on: August 08, 2022, 02:00:21 AM »
I should have posted saturday to say "in 2 weeks I'll be in Santorini" (Greece).

It will be three records for me at once:

- Farthest east I've ever been
- Farthest south I've ever been
- Farthest I've ever been from home

Yeah, I've travelled, but all around Europe so going in the southern islands of Greece is a record breaker for me, surpassing Copenhagen.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #492 on: August 15, 2022, 01:27:49 PM »
Sooo...

We're heading east in six days to move my kid into college.  We're taking a red eye to Boston on Sunday night (land Monday morning).  We'll be driving out to western Massachusetts to pick up some stuff we had shipped to my wife's aunt, and then driving up to Keene, NH.  Move-in day is next Wednesday, and my wife and I fly back on Saturday.

Any of you who have (or have had) kids in college have any tips for this?  Or anyone who knows Keene have any suggestions for cool things to see/do while we're there?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #493 on: August 18, 2022, 03:36:06 PM »
Again for the California peeps. I could have sworn there was some discussion here about the Greek Theater, but damned if I can find it. Better to park at the venue or use that Pony Shuttle thing? I'll have an early flight the next morning, so I'd kinda like to get out of there and pretty far South after the show. Sometimes shuttles work great, and sometimes they're miserable (looking up towards Boston  :sadpanda:).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #494 on: August 18, 2022, 04:38:28 PM »
Again for the California peeps. I could have sworn there was some discussion here about the Greek Theater, but damned if I can find it. Better to park at the venue or use that Pony Shuttle thing? I'll have an early flight the next morning, so I'd kinda like to get out of there and pretty far South after the show. Sometimes shuttles work great, and sometimes they're miserable (looking up towards Boston  :sadpanda:).

I've only ever been to two shows there:  ABWH in 1989 and Dream Theater in 2009 (Prog Nation 2009).  I have no experience with the shuttle and don't recall any issues with parking or getting out of there (compared to some of the horror stories I've heard about the Hollywood Bowl).  However, just looking at where you catch the shuttle in comparison to where the Greek Theatre is, it's NOT something I'd do if a quick exit was a concern.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #495 on: August 18, 2022, 04:57:20 PM »

As a guy that went to the Greek Theater recently, three times, two times using the shuttle and one time parking closer to the Theater, I say go park at the lot where you take the Pony Shuttle.  It's $15.00 cheaper and closer to the 5 freeway.  I don't think it's worth the hassle of being the driver trying to navigate driving to that area near the theater and getting to the parking lot and you end up being in a dirt lot anyway where you are going to feel crammed.  At least, you get decent air conditioning in the shuttle on the way from the lot to the theater and back.

Also, if you want to park at the lot where you take the Pony Shuttle, book it as soon as possible.  I've learned that mistake the hard way when I went to see Alice Cooper last April.  It was a last minute ticket and since I got the ticket the day of, there were no spots left for the lot near the shuttle, so I ended up parking closer to the theater for $30.00.  I got out pretty ok, but I rather take the shuttle.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 05:02:51 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #496 on: August 18, 2022, 07:59:55 PM »
Sooo...

We're heading east in six days to move my kid into college.  We're taking a red eye to Boston on Sunday night (land Monday morning).  We'll be driving out to western Massachusetts to pick up some stuff we had shipped to my wife's aunt, and then driving up to Keene, NH.  Move-in day is next Wednesday, and my wife and I fly back on Saturday.

Any of you who have (or have had) kids in college have any tips for this?  Or anyone who knows Keene have any suggestions for cool things to see/do while we're there?
I lived and worked in Keene a decade ago. Its a cute little town. We had little kids at the time, so our activities tended to be family oriented outdoor stuff. Probably not the same stuff a college kid would want to do. Plus it's been a long time. I hope your kid enjoys college there!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #497 on: August 19, 2022, 08:12:49 AM »
I should have posted saturday to say "in 2 weeks I'll be in Santorini" (Greece).

Yeah, I've travelled, but all around Europe so going in the southern islands of Greece is a record breaker for me, surpassing Copenhagen.

Adrenaline is rushing! tomorrow at dawn, for the first time in three years, I'll be on a plane again  :metal

I plan to listen to my compilation of songs about flying (or flying disasters  ;D), liftoff as usual will be accompanied by Aces High  ;D I have a fear of heights but, more specifically, what annoys me is the *realization* I'm actually going up and leaving the ground, once I'm above (say, on top of a skyscraper when you're fully protected) I don't mind the heights. But I want to exorcise the fear of leaving ground and what better way than "Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die"?  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #498 on: August 19, 2022, 08:15:10 AM »

Adrenaline is rushing! tomorrow at dawn, for the first time in three years, I'll be on a plane again  :metal

I plan to listen to my compilation of songs about flying (or flying disasters  ;D), liftoff as usual will be accompanied by Aces High  ;D I have a fear of heights but, more specifically, what annoys me is the *realization* I'm actually going up and leaving the ground, once I'm above (say, on top of a skyscraper when you're fully protected) I don't mind the heights. But I want to exorcise the fear of leaving ground and what better way than "Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die"?  :metal

A View From the Top of the World was one of the songs I would play on a plane for my first few trips after DT released the album, usually when the pilot says "we'll be landing in 20 minutes"

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #499 on: August 19, 2022, 08:18:58 AM »
Just stay away from songs like About To Crash or Fatal Tragedy :P
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #500 on: August 19, 2022, 12:17:24 PM »
Just stay away from songs like About To Crash or Fatal Tragedy :P

I will, on the other hand I'm totally gonna hear Higher than the Sky by Rage which is about a plane crashing  ;D

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #501 on: August 23, 2022, 11:57:23 AM »
I'm heading to Colorado for a bit in October and will be spending 4 nights in Denver while I'm there. What's a good area to stay in with decent nightlife?

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #502 on: August 25, 2022, 10:17:30 PM »
So I'm now planning a trip to Toronto in mid-February.  I haven't got my passport sorted out.  Haven't traveled outside of the US since a long while before, when I was 9 I think, when I was in Vancouver before taking a cruise to Alaska.  Is the process to getting a passport excruciating these days?  How long would it take from booking the appointment at the USPS to getting it in the mail?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #503 on: August 25, 2022, 10:28:50 PM »
So I'm now planning a trip to Toronto in mid-February.  I haven't got my passport sorted out.  Haven't traveled outside of the US since a long while before, when I was 9 I think, when I was in Vancouver before taking a cruise to Alaska.  Is the process to getting a passport excruciating these days?  How long would it take from booking the appointment at the USPS to getting it in the mail?
You've got plenty of time. I think it's like six weeks, and 3 months would be extraordinarily long. You've got five or six. No point in dilly-dallying, though. Get it done early. Also, is the post office even still involved? I know for a renewals they don't have anything to do with it, and they certainly won't take your picture anymore. You just submit everything online. Also, I recall there's an option to give them a few bucks to stop dragging their ass and get it done quicker. That shouldn't be necessary in your case, though.
E.F. Benson

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #504 on: August 28, 2022, 12:04:32 PM »
Back from Santorini. And tomorrow I'm leaving for the dolomites, some mountains to console myself after having seen such a beautiful archipelago!  :metal

Santorini is really worth a visit. Yeah, it's full of tourists, but you feel that problem only in Oia, the most famous town, where it's massively overcrowded, for the rest, the island is quite enjoyable, food is great and cheap, and the white towns are really THAT beautiful like you see in the photos. And the caldera views, especially at sunset, is really something to behold.

I'm gonna miss all that white and all that blue....

Offline pg1067

« Reply #505 on: August 28, 2022, 05:02:07 PM »

In anticipation of a trip to Rome for the new year in 2021, we renewed our passports shortly before COVID hit (I think it was February 2020).  It couldn't have been simpler.  We completed the applications online and printed them.  Took us about 20 minutes at the post office on Lincoln in Cypress (we had to make an appointment).  I can't remember how my wife and I got our pictures done, but my daughter got hers done at the post office.  If I recall correctly, we received them in the mail within a couple weeks (maybe three weeks at the outside).

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #506 on: August 28, 2022, 09:19:02 PM »
^^ All right, I got my picture taken today at Walmart.  Only costed $8.00 and I think it turned out ok to be put on a passport.  Got my appointment set for this Friday at a post office somewhere in Anaheim.  The timing can't get be any better to take time off work that day.  I got tickets for Goo Goo Dolls (that I've been holding on Groupon since 2020) at the Greek Theater that day.  So might as well, get the passport appointment out of the way, eat lunch somewhere, and it's off to the Greek Theater.

Now I'm looking at how you pay the fees and I read this as the following,
"NOTE: You CANNOT pay State Department fees with credit or debit cards.
Pay your application processing fee and any additional services fees with
▪ Personal, certified, cashier's, or traveler's check payable to "U.S. Department of State"
▪ Money order payable to "U.S. Department of State" (You can purchase a money order at the Post Office™ with a debit card.)
Pay the $35 application acceptance fee separately to "Postmaster" with
▪ Money order, personal check, credit or debit card at U.S. postal facilities"

Man, do I have to go through the hassle with my bank to get a check book, just to pay the whatever $150+ amount to the post office to get this thing done?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #507 on: August 28, 2022, 09:53:11 PM »
^^ All right, I got my picture taken today at Walmart.  Only costed $8.00 and I think it turned out ok to be put on a passport.  Got my appointment set for this Friday at a post office somewhere in Anaheim.  The timing can't get be any better to take time off work that day.  I got tickets for Goo Goo Dolls (that I've been holding on Groupon since 2020) at the Greek Theater that day.  So might as well, get the passport appointment out of the way, eat lunch somewhere, and it's off to the Greek Theater.

Now I'm looking at how you pay the fees and I read this as the following,
"NOTE: You CANNOT pay State Department fees with credit or debit cards.
Pay your application processing fee and any additional services fees with
▪ Personal, certified, cashier's, or traveler's check payable to "U.S. Department of State"
▪ Money order payable to "U.S. Department of State" (You can purchase a money order at the Post Office™ with a debit card.)
Pay the $35 application acceptance fee separately to "Postmaster" with
▪ Money order, personal check, credit or debit card at U.S. postal facilities"

Man, do I have to go through the hassle with my bank to get a check book, just to pay the whatever $150+ amount to the post office to get this thing done?

Since you've already got a bank account it'll be easy. Print out what you need and show it to one of your bank tellers. They'll print cashier's cheques for you in a couple of minutes and off you go.

And be sure and let me know about your parking experiences at the Greek!
E.F. Benson

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #508 on: August 29, 2022, 06:32:19 AM »

As Barto mentioned, go to your teller and tell them you want a certified check. I think there's like a $10 fee but it avoids you getting a checkbook. You can also go to your post office and buy a money order.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: August 29, 2022, 09:01:03 AM »
Why don't you have a check book? It's probably worth it to get one for situations that call for it. Which aren't as many as there used to be with online payments and cash transfer apps, but I still write checks for certain utility companies and services that don't have other options.  Plus for gifts like going to a wedding this past weekend (although I actually happened to have cash on me so I didn't write a check).

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #510 on: August 29, 2022, 09:07:44 AM »
I didn't get a checkbook until I was 31 or so  :lol Up until then, I needed checks so infrequently, I just got a certified one from the bank when needed

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #511 on: August 29, 2022, 09:29:25 AM »
When I was young I accidentally ordered like 10 check books, still no where close to using them all, but it's good to have and I won't need more maybe for the rest of my life  :lol

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #512 on: August 29, 2022, 10:11:10 AM »
When I was young I accidentally ordered like 10 check books, still no where close to using them all, but it's good to have and I won't need more maybe for the rest of my life  :lol

Wait, so you can still write checks for the present even though the checkbook is old?  I may still have some blank checks somewhere when my bank gave me a few when I opened my account years ago.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #513 on: August 29, 2022, 10:20:10 AM »

Wait, so you can still write checks for the present even though the checkbook is old?  I may still have some blank checks somewhere when my bank gave me a few when I opened my account years ago.

An unissued check doesn't expire.  If you wrote it out and signed it, I think the bank has to honor it only in the six months since the date of the check (banks themselves might have a shorter policy).

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #514 on: August 29, 2022, 10:37:41 AM »
That said, if they're the checks they gave you for free when you signed up they might just be temporaries, so your name wouldn't be on them. That shouldn't matter, though. Routing and account number are all that matters.

For my part, I've got 5 checking accounts and zero checks. Online bill pay covers checks that need to be mailed, and if I need one in person I just hit my bank and ask them for a bank check, which is either free or a buck or something.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #515 on: August 29, 2022, 10:39:37 AM »
I remember getting those temp checks when I opened my first bank account nearly 20 years ago. I remember getting 1 book of 10, and the reason for getting them was because it would take a while for the debit card to be issued.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: August 29, 2022, 11:20:01 AM »
Online bill pay covers checks that need to be mailed

I wish this were the case for me.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #517 on: August 29, 2022, 11:57:47 AM »
Interesting thing; legally, there is nothing magic about a "check".  You COULD, if you thought the person would accept it and the bank would cash it, write out what you need on a piece of paper.  A check need only have the routing number, account number, name, date, amount, and some indicator of authority to enter into the transaction.  It can be handwritten; the pre-printedness isn't binding per se, but it is a tacit acknowledgement that someone - that bank, specifically - thought you worthy enough to have checks, and is sort of their imprimatur that they will honor it (in spirit, if the funds are there).  This is why you can do "e-checks" on line without any hassle; that's essentially a check transaction. 

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #518 on: September 03, 2022, 01:06:25 AM »
All right, an update on my passport application appointment earlier today.  Went in, gave my paperwork, and paid around $167.00 via card (apparently, they allow you to use a card, but they have to charge around a $2.00 money order fee since it does need to be sent to the US Department of State) and that was that.

El Barto, as for parking at the Greek Theater after I saw Goo Goo Dolls today, here's how parking at the shuttle area work.  There are two parking lots.  One that serves as a regular parking lot for a Pony Ride service for children by day and a dirt lot next to the other lot.  You can park at the non-dirt lot after around 4 PM and it's better to park there than the dirt lot.  The first shuttle comes around after 5:00 PM (or roughly 2.5 hours before the first band starts).  You give the printed parking pass you buy for $10.00 to someone that can scan it.  They will give you a wristband so that you can get in the shuttle after the show ends and they give you a slip to put in the car in so that it will be in plain sight.  Afterwards, it will be a 15 minute ride from the lot to theater (of course, it varies due to being in a LA area on an afternoon).  Then, the driver will tell you where the shuttle to go back to the parking lot will be at when you get to the theater.  They told me the last shuttle goes out at 11:15.  I got into one at 10:45 and it took 10 minutes to go from theater to back to the parking lot (could be more, since I left after the band finish their main set and not after the encore.  The drive could take more time as people are leaving).  Afterwards, you exit out right and the 5 South Freeway entrance should be nearby on your right.

I will suggest parking and taking the shuttle as driving down a hill at night in a park area that's pretty darn pitch black is pretty risky, but that's just me.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #519 on: September 03, 2022, 05:12:17 AM »
I've got a few flights coming up the rest of this year (home in 2 weeks for PT, Austin in Nov for a wedding, home for Thanksgiving, home for Christmas) so I decided to try out TSA pre-check. Figured I should get my money's worth for the first year and see if it's worth keeping.
Photobucket sucks.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: September 03, 2022, 07:49:59 AM »
^
Pre Covid, 2-4 trips a year, one last year, one this year.  I’m sure that those who fly more will also attest that it is absolutely worth it.

Just make sure it’s listed on your boarding pass.  It wasn’t for my first departure last month
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: September 03, 2022, 08:14:37 AM »
I'm booked for another work Euro trip.  7 days in Amsterdam, 3 in Frankfurt to end September.  I don't really want to go, but so be it.  I thought my trip last month was going to be my last for a long time.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: September 03, 2022, 08:16:56 AM »
Starting my vacation season next week. I took hardly any pto this year because of a few large projects I've been working on at work. Going to Seattle on the 9th and doing a 7 day Alaskan cruise.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #523 on: September 03, 2022, 08:17:14 AM »
I'm booked for another work Euro trip.  7 days in Amsterdam, 3 in Frankfurt to end September.  I don't really want to go, but so be it.  I thought my trip last month was going to be my last for a long time.

Have you been to Frankfurt before?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: September 03, 2022, 08:19:29 AM »
I guess I should add I'm also on vacation next week.  Doing a road trip to Boston for the Aerosmith concert at Fenway.  It's also my gf's birthday (who I didnt even know when I bought that Aerosmith ticket in 2020) so she's going to come and I booked up a very nice hotel and staying a bit longer than just the concert for her birthday (and we will celebrate mine as well next week since I'll be in Europe for my actual date).

Have you been to Frankfurt before?

Yup, many times. My job sends me to same spots, so often if I go to Europe it's both Amsterdam and Frankfurt.