Author Topic: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread  (Read 53972 times)

Adami and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread
« on: March 09, 2018, 04:52:41 PM »
There's variations of this thread all over general discussion, but I just wanted to make one for anyone to post in if you have a cool trip you went on or are planning.

So I just applied for my very first passport two weeks ago. I am crazy excited to finally be able to travel outside the US for the first time. My first trip I want to go on is the Switzerland to snowboard in the Swiss alps. Its supposed to be awesome and as soon as the passport comes in I will start planning.

How about you guys, any cool trips you want to share or have coming up?

Online pg1067

Re: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 05:03:39 PM »
It's not nearly as cool as Switzerland (at least not to anyone but me), but I just drove up to Monterey because my daughter's middle school jazz band was invited to play at the Monterey Next Generation Jazz Festival this weekend!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline frogprog

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 04:45:18 AM »
We are planning a trip to London and Paris. I am more of a cruise/Caribbean island kind of guy and have never been to Europe so I could use some suggestions as to where to stay and what to do. Also how to make things easier on us as we travel.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 05:55:53 AM »
I was planning to go to Tokyo in June. My girlfriend is turning 30 and she wants a big trip but, we decided to go to Greece instead and visit a few islands. Maybe even make a quick stop in Egypt for the pyramids.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 06:05:43 AM »
You're going to love Switzerland, I went there for two weeks 10 years ago (holy shit it's been 10 years!!)

I'm going to napa in April and Montana in August.

No overseas trips for me this year.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 06:45:26 AM »
We're planning an epic road trip later in the spring. We live in Minneapolis and are flying to San Jose to visit some family, then picking up my grandma's car that she can no longer drive. We're then visiting my sister near Fresno, CA, then on to the Grand Canyon, Zion Nation Park, and Arches National Park. From there we can't decide if we want to take the northern route home through Yellowstone and Grand Tetons or the southern route home through Colorado. I've been to both before as a kid, but no one else in my family has been to either. They were both really fun 20 years ago. Any recommendations?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 09:21:45 AM »
Lasy year I broke two records: I've been more to the north and to the south than I've ever been previously (Copenhagen in the north and Cefalù in Sicily in the south). Previous year, 2016, I broke three records in several weeks: went westernmost so far (Barcelona), then two weeks later going to holidays in south east Italy allowed me both to go easternmost (yeah, Italy is so curved that it goes more east than Wien) and southernmost (ancient town of Matera, Passion of the Christ anyone?).

This year I hope to break another record, it'd be about time to finally see Norway  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 01:41:31 PM »
We're planning an epic road trip later in the spring. We live in Minneapolis and are flying to San Jose to visit some family, then picking up my grandma's car that she can no longer drive. We're then visiting my sister near Fresno, CA, then on to the Grand Canyon, Zion Nation Park, and Arches National Park. From there we can't decide if we want to take the northern route home through Yellowstone and Grand Tetons or the southern route home through Colorado. I've been to both before as a kid, but no one else in my family has been to either. They were both really fun 20 years ago. Any recommendations?
Nice. I going to Utah on May 12th. Doing Arches, Zion, La Sal mountains ,  and much  more.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 02:17:53 PM »
Nice. I going to Utah on May 12th. Doing Arches, Zion, La Sal mountains ,  and much  more.
I'll be there the week before!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 02:20:39 PM »
Last weekend I roadtripped to Boston, this weekend the gf and I roadtripped to Cape May. Also doing a 7 night road trip through Florida in May and going to Atlanta for Prog power in September. I'm sure more will come up between work travel and more personal trips.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 07:05:29 PM »
. From there we can't decide if we want to take the northern route home through Yellowstone and Grand Tetons

Two summers ago, we flew into Denver. From there we went up to Rapid City to see Mount Rushmore. We rode through the western part of Nebraska because my son wanted to see Carhenge. After Mt Rushmore, we visited Devil's Tower and drove through southern Montana to Yellowstone for a couple of days. We then went to Jackson Hole to the Grand Tetons. I think we paid like $40 for a 7 day car pass that included both Yellowstone and GT Nat'l Park. Back to Denver and flew home to Boston.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 07:12:16 PM »
For the record, we decided on Yellowstone and Grand Teton. 17 days on the road with the family. Sounds both awesome and terrifying at the same time.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 07:25:56 PM »
Yellowstone was awesome, and we didn't even venture off the loop.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 12:54:32 AM »
That's awesome. Yellowstone is definitely on my list, somewhere down the line. I've heard nothing but good things.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 08:07:36 AM »
Yea, I'd love to do something similar to what TAC did. 

For the record, we decided on Yellowstone and Grand Teton. 17 days on the road with the family. Sounds both awesome and terrifying at the same time.

However, 17 days on the road with the family may be too much for me and I really enjoy time with my family  :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2018, 09:54:03 AM »

Being a Utah native, I feel it's my duty to point out that Zion, and Arches are nice and all but they are really crowded. If you want to experience our geological treasures with a lot less tour buses, try Bryce Canyon, then drive Highway 12 (spectacular in it's own right) to Capital Reef National Park (probably the best desert hiking in the entire state). Allow for plenty of time to drive Highway 12 because you will want to stop frequently. Kodachrome Basin, Petrified Forest, the Hogback, Calf Creek Falls, and countless other overlooks are all worth savoring.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 09:55:17 AM »
about six days into a trip around Israel.  second time here, but picking up stuff I missed last time.  floated in the dead sea today

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 10:24:00 AM »

Being a Utah native, I feel it's my duty to point out that Zion, and Arches are nice and all but they are really crowded. If you want to experience our geological treasures with a lot less tour buses, try Bryce Canyon, then drive Highway 12 (spectacular in it's own right) to Capital Reef National Park (probably the best desert hiking in the entire state). Allow for plenty of time to drive Highway 12 because you will want to stop frequently. Kodachrome Basin, Petrified Forest, the Hogback, Calf Creek Falls, and countless other overlooks are all worth savoring.
We're planning on swinging by Bryce Canyon. I'll have to look and see if Capital Reef will fit into our schedule as well.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 11:23:52 AM »
Contemplating whether or not to travel to Mexico later in the year.  But not sure now with some of the travel advisories, even though the most recent one was just reduced from a level 3 back to level 2 (which is basically "business as usual" for Mexico). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2018, 01:20:49 PM »
Pretty sure "business as usual" for Mexico still means stay the F out.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 01:22:12 PM »
Let's see...

Barely travel, but I'll be in NYC April 28-30 for Steven Wilson shows. Wouldn't even consider that travel if I wasn't staying in/near city.
I'll likely be in Gettysburg May 4-7 for RoSfest.
July is the big trip I have a thread about, but in brief it's July 2-15, and I'll be in Iceland, England, Ireland, and Germany.
October (forget dates), I'll be 3 days in Rahway, NJ for ProgStock.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2018, 05:11:09 AM »

However, 17 days on the road with the family may be too much for me and I really enjoy time with my family  :lol

I would love to do something like that but it'd just have to be me solo. If I had to be on the road with my gf for that long I'd be single after 3 days :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2018, 12:58:17 PM »
Reaper, have you ever traveled the entire US (Like a big loop) by motorcycle and if not is it on your bucketlist?

I would love to see the entire US by motorcycle

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2018, 03:10:54 PM »
Still knocking around a trip to Europe in June to see Maiden (et al). They're playing an airport in Prague and I think that'd be pretty damned cool to see. I'll include a week or so of driving around Germany in a rented BMW, and probably a week meandering through the Swiss/Italian Alps.

If I decide to skip Europe and do something cheaper I'll probably spend the first ten days of October driving all-hell over upstate NY and Eastern Canada, catching whoever's on tour. I'd like to be up there when there's some color, and there are always bands to see.

Contemplating whether or not to travel to Mexico later in the year.  But not sure now with some of the travel advisories, even though the most recent one was just reduced from a level 3 back to level 2 (which is basically "business as usual" for Mexico). 
I certainly wouldn't be planning a camping trip to Matamoros or anything, but I gather the bigger cities are fine. My only experience is DF, but it seemed safer than most of Dallas.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018, 06:35:30 PM »

I would love to do something like that but it'd just have to be me solo. If I had to be on the road with my gf for that long I'd be single after 3 days :lol

I can deal with the gf, we did our 7 day road trip last year really well together and we have another one coming up in 2 months.  I just couldn't deal with probably anyone else though.  Maybe one good friend.  Just can't do like my family of 6+ people all together for such a long time and not in our family home or something. 

Still knocking around a trip to Europe in June to see Maiden (et al). They're playing an airport in Prague and I think that'd be pretty damned cool to see. I'll include a week or so of driving around Germany in a rented BMW, and probably a week meandering through the Swiss/Italian Alps.

If I decide to skip Europe and do something cheaper I'll probably spend the first ten days of October driving all-hell over upstate NY and Eastern Canada, catching whoever's on tour. I'd like to be up there when there's some color, and there are always bands to see.

I certainly wouldn't be planning a camping trip to Matamoros or anything, but I gather the bigger cities are fine. My only experience is DF, but it seemed safer than most of Dallas.

I'd love to see IM in Europe, overall costs usually turn me off from flying overseas though.  Bruce saying he wants people surprised by the setlist this summer and working giving everyone the week off for the 4th of July does make it tempting to head out there though.

As for catching a band in the northeast in the fall, Ozzy is coming near me and also Metallica is touring the upstate NY area in late October.  That's what I am aware of for now. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2018, 06:56:50 PM »
Reaper, have you ever traveled the entire US (Like a big loop) by motorcycle and if not is it on your bucketlist?

I would love to see the entire US by motorcycle

I got as far as planning my trip out and was seriously considering it but then I met my now current gf and those plans fell by the wayside. I do plan on doing it some day, getting a v-strom and doing a massive loop. I could never do it on my current bike. I did 600 miles in one day on my R6 and it broke me lol

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2018, 09:01:26 AM »
In addition to our epic road trip this pring, we're also going to Orlando and Disney world this October. I have a conference for work and it was too good to pass up bringing the family with. Not sure how I feel about Disney World. freaking expensive so I doubt I'll find it worth it, but the wife really wants to go.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2018, 10:41:24 AM »
Yea I hear ya, should be buying our Disney tickets soon and that is a big hit to the wallets, and not even including the day expenses for being there

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2018, 11:52:20 AM »

I'd love to see IM in Europe, overall costs usually turn me off from flying overseas though.  Bruce saying he wants people surprised by the setlist this summer and working giving everyone the week off for the 4th of July does make it tempting to head out there though.

As for catching a band in the northeast in the fall, Ozzy is coming near me and also Metallica is touring the upstate NY area in late October.  That's what I am aware of for now.
In my case I need to get rid of my damn near useless Aadvantage miles. They've really devalued those things something awful. I've got the 60k I need and want to get into a better card.  Where the cost adds up is hotels. It's only worth doing for me if I spend two and a half weeks exploring, and that's a lot of nights. It also has the advantage of allowing me to easily spend the requisite first 3 months money on a new card to get the bonus.

In my case I'd be looking at June. I'd prefer May, nicer weather and scenery, but the schedule doesn't really work out for it. If Maiden was playing Paris a couple of days later I'd consider doing a July trip to be there for Bastille Day. That would be fantastic, but they're ten days too early for that.

If I do the NY/Canada thing the Metallica dates don't do me much good. Perhaps they add a couple of Toronto/Montreal dates, which would be right on time, though. That trip would be dictated entirely by the time of year and not band schedules.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2018, 07:54:30 AM »
What card are you thinking of upgrading to if you don't mine me asking?  Which actually is fairly relevant to the traveling thread when you think about it.  I travel a decent (and increasingly less) amount for work using my own credit cards so earning points is a nice little hobby of mine which ends up paying for a decent amount of my personal travel.

I pretty much only use two credit cards.  I have the chase sapphire card which gets me 2% back on hotels/airlines/rentals/restaurants which is great for my work travel (and personal use since I use it for everything just about).  But the best part is when using their website to book travel, the points are worth 20% more.  So $100 in points gets me $100 if I want it in cash, but if I book any travel it's worth $120.  That really gets me the most bang for buck out of my points. 

I have one other credit card that I've only been using for a year, but has really worked out well for me.  That's my IHG Mastercard (also through Chase).  Essentially I use this now only for my hotel bookings since for work we almost only stay at Holiday Inn Expresses.  I have an insane amount of points with them that essentially gets me ~10 free rooms a year.  But this credit card costs $50 a year and it also gives one free night (which I have set for South Beach on a Friday night $350 in value) so I say the cost is worth it.

Which leads me to my next trick in getting my free travel.  Back to using those Chase points I earned for all my daily spending.  If I burn those points booking airfare, I have found I still earn reward miles (I, sad to admit, use United).  So I have about 100k United miles earned and I hardly ever pay for flights (that's work and my own free flights with Chase).   Obviously I can only do this because work pays for me to travel about 40 days and 20k miles a year, but that's been my strategy to maximize it.  My boss/coworker use Delta and use the Delta credit card to stack miles as their strategy.  I personally just don't find airline miles worth much and like the flexibility with my Chase points plus the ability to earn miles using those points.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2018, 01:01:55 PM »
What card are you thinking of upgrading to if you don't mine me asking?  Which actually is fairly relevant to the traveling thread when you think about it.  I travel a decent (and increasingly less) amount for work using my own credit cards so earning points is a nice little hobby of mine which ends up paying for a decent amount of my personal travel.

I pretty much only use two credit cards.  I have the chase sapphire card which gets me 2% back on hotels/airlines/rentals/restaurants which is great for my work travel (and personal use since I use it for everything just about).  But the best part is when using their website to book travel, the points are worth 20% more.  So $100 in points gets me $100 if I want it in cash, but if I book any travel it's worth $120.  That really gets me the most bang for buck out of my points. 

I have one other credit card that I've only been using for a year, but has really worked out well for me.  That's my IHG Mastercard (also through Chase).  Essentially I use this now only for my hotel bookings since for work we almost only stay at Holiday Inn Expresses.  I have an insane amount of points with them that essentially gets me ~10 free rooms a year.  But this credit card costs $50 a year and it also gives one free night (which I have set for South Beach on a Friday night $350 in value) so I say the cost is worth it.

Which leads me to my next trick in getting my free travel.  Back to using those Chase points I earned for all my daily spending.  If I burn those points booking airfare, I have found I still earn reward miles (I, sad to admit, use United).  So I have about 100k United miles earned and I hardly ever pay for flights (that's work and my own free flights with Chase).   Obviously I can only do this because work pays for me to travel about 40 days and 20k miles a year, but that's been my strategy to maximize it.  My boss/coworker use Delta and use the Delta credit card to stack miles as their strategy.  I personally just don't find airline miles worth much and like the flexibility with my Chase points plus the ability to earn miles using those points.
I haven't decided yet. Until I know I'm going to spend 4 grand in 3 months I'll just keep using an older card (still cancelling Aadvantage, though--it's annual fee time). The Sapphire card is definitely one of the 3 options. That's been the gold standard for a while now. Since I live in Dallas Southwest's card is a winner. Whole lotta perks with that one. Third option is just to get a cash back card.

Biggest problem for me is that I hate flying Southwest. Moreover, I never find it to be particularly convenient nor cheap. Unless you know six weeks in advance and can fly out at 0400 on a Wednesday morning it tends to be pretty pricey. I always travel over weekends so it doesn't work well for me. AA almost always does far better for me. Using SW's points works the same way. Maybe it costs you 5k, and maybe it costs you 19k, depending on the convenience of the flight. That said, their card gives you lots of free points and companion tickets on your anniversary, and they partner with a ton of hotels and rentals that score you beau-coup points.

Damn shame AA has gone the way it has. Since they hub out of DFW it's always been a steel for me. Now the points aren't worth a whole lot and they make them a PITA to use. Moreover, they've added a "Spirit Airlines" pricing tier that basically took up the original economy class, so now you pay the same price don't get to choose your seat and don't even get a free carry-on.

Really, frequent flyer programs don't work well for civvies anymore. Unless your company is sending you all hell over the place it's probably best just to find a good cash back card. My old man spent much of the 80's essentially being Clooney's character in Up in the Air, flying places to fire people and do their job until it's restaffed, and he's still spending the miles he accrued 30 years ago. Similarly, a dear friend (you met him down here at DT) makes a killing off of SWA. He travels 8-10 times a year with his old lady and is able to do the 000 Wed thing, so he's rolling in points. Someone like me that only travels 3 or 4 times a year over long weekends doesn't need to really worry about it all that much.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2018, 03:35:54 PM »
Yea, miles programs aren't what they used to be.  I do believe there's a newer chase card that offers a really good intro point package that you are looking for.  I've thought of doing that myself.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2018, 06:13:33 PM »
I've done the Chase Sapphire Preferred card as well as a couple others in recent months. Saving $2000 on our vacation with points earned through sign up bonuses. Pretty sweet deal really. I am trying to reign myself in now so I don't go overboard. We have $1000 in points save for our fall Orlando trip as well.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2018, 06:33:09 PM »
The introductory bonuses all seem to be about the same. 50k after you spend 4 grand in the first 3 months. Since we're talking about it, how much traveling money will 50k points get you with that Sapphire card? With American it'll get you to Europe but not back (30k each way), or 3 legs domestic (15k ea). SWA varies depending on how crappy the flight is. You might get 8-10 legs flying red-eyes,  or two legs for a flight that doesn't suck ass (at least more than customary).
E.F. Benson

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2018, 07:21:30 AM »
We ended up using most of the point we got for hotel stays rather than airfare. What you get out of it is of course going to vary greatly depending on the cost of the flight.

Keep in mind you're also gaining regular points while spending the $4000, so you should end up with 54000-58000 points by the time you've met the bonus requirements. Plus you can get another 5000 for adding an authorized user.

The reason the Chase Sapphire is generally considered the best is due to the flexibility of the points. You can transfer them into a bunch of different hotel and airline rewards programs 1:1, plus the bonus you get if you purchase directly through Chase. The annual fee is the only thing that sucks, but you can't get that big of a reward without one. I'll probably cancel mine before I pay that.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 07:27:43 AM by lordxizor »