Author Topic: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread  (Read 57231 times)

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread
« Reply #595 on: October 11, 2022, 05:56:44 AM »
Looks amazing! Was Poland your only stop? I've been to Poland once and very briefly when visiting Lithuania.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #596 on: October 11, 2022, 06:32:17 AM »
Thanks Reaper

The only other place was at Frankfurt Germany for a transfer flight, but Poland was the main stop.

I can't wait to go back. And I also have a whole list of other countries I would like to visit as well.

And to save people from having to click back a page here is the post again

Back home after leaving the US for the first time ever.

Went to Warsaw, Poland and it was truly incredible. And in addition, I've been studying the language for a year and half and for the most part was able to speak only Polish while there and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life.

My only regret was I didn't do it sooner.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 06:38:53 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #597 on: October 11, 2022, 07:49:53 AM »
Have you guys thought about taking a nice hike and visit Kjeragbolten in Norway?
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #598 on: October 11, 2022, 08:54:02 AM »
Has anyone here ever been to the Azores? My wife and son have been talking about going. I looked at a map and it's like 5 big rocks in the middle of the fucking ocean!!
Never been there, but I was researching it a few years back. Since like a nice place honestly. That and Canary Islands are on my list of places to visit in the near future.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #599 on: October 11, 2022, 03:21:48 PM »
Went to Venice for about a day last weekend. Few of the shots I took.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #600 on: October 11, 2022, 03:29:11 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #601 on: October 11, 2022, 03:34:46 PM »
One of the few benefits of waking up for a flight at 06:00, sunrise shots! :P
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #602 on: October 11, 2022, 06:31:10 PM »
The Venice pics look great.

Anybody do Global entry? Is it worth it?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #603 on: October 12, 2022, 08:28:53 AM »
Nice pics XJ

The Venice pics look great.

Anybody do Global entry? Is it worth it?

I had it for a bit. It comes with TSA pre-check (or did, I haven't followed lately).  I guess if you travel in/out of the country enough it may be worth it.  In EWR they redid the customs area to make it more digital and it's fairly quick.  I'm usually through before my bags arrive at the carousel and I'm traveling outside the US maybe twice a year.  I don't think it's worth it.  I also don't really have an issue waiting for TSA so I don't care for paying for these extras like TSA-pre check either.  It's nice, and it usually is quicker, but I can wait 15 minutes. 

I actually just reached United Premiere 1k status which has a perk of free Clear.  I need to figure out how to claim that and see if that's a huge time saver.

I should also add, your home airport may be a bigger mess to get through security than my experiences flying United out of EWR.  (I almost never use their Premiere security line either, it's often slower than the main line).

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #604 on: October 12, 2022, 08:33:48 AM »
Yeah, I was going to say it probably depends on your home airport more than anything else. DFW is quick as hell letting you back in. I'm not sure how something like global entry could make it much quicker. There might be a time when 8 fully loaded A380s arrive simultaneously, but I've never seen such a thing.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #605 on: October 12, 2022, 08:37:39 AM »
Yeah, I think its really a Philly airport issue more than anything. They were recently voted worst airport in the country and I may have to agree.

They had 50 customs checkout counters and they had maybe 8 open. And even though I'm a citizen, I waited in line for almost an hour. All for one very checked out, indifferent guy to ask me 3 questions: where I was coming from, how long and if I bought anything  :P

After a 9 hour flight, it just broke my brain a little.

Online faizoff

« Reply #606 on: October 12, 2022, 08:54:39 AM »
As cramx said, global entry is a boon for those who travel a lot and use multiple airports in the US. I have family that use it and some find it useful and other not so much. Like everyone else said a lot depends on the airport. I've used different airports for re-entry to the US, I think the immigration has been mostly an ok experience esp after long flights (between 8-16 hrs) I'm heading back to the US in a week or two and entry point will be Logan airport. I have no idea how long the wait will be, I am just loathing the 6 hour layover I have at that airport.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #607 on: October 12, 2022, 09:00:49 AM »
There might be a time when 8 fully loaded A380s arrive simultaneously, but I've never seen such a thing.

I guess I should add that one bad experience could change my opinion  :lol 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #608 on: October 12, 2022, 03:22:22 PM »
Those pictures are just amazing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #609 on: October 17, 2022, 02:37:21 PM »
If you're traveling with coworkers, would you check with them to see if they want to join you for tourist stuff after work hours, or would you just go do your own thing?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #610 on: October 17, 2022, 02:42:17 PM »
If you're traveling with coworkers, would you check with them to see if they want to join you for tourist stuff after work hours, or would you just go do your own thing?

Depends if you would like their company or not.  I kind of felt like a dick when I was in Denver with a coworker and went to a concert at Red Rocks without telling him, but I honestly wouldn't of wanted to go with him.  But when I was with my other coworker in Amsterdam, we spent one of our days off doing touristy stuff together and one day doing our own things. It really depends on your relationships. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #611 on: October 19, 2022, 05:06:19 PM »

There are a couple guys I work with whose company I enjoy.  I've had occasion to travel on business with one of them.  I might go grab a beer with him, but for the most part, once the work function is done, my time is mine.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #612 on: November 01, 2022, 07:42:00 PM »
All right, got my passport in the mail today.  I am pleased.  Now I can go ahead and book a trip to Toronto, Ontario, Canada in February as I please.  Maybe go to Europe in the Summer.  If I'm really ambitious now that I have the passport, I may contemplate going to London in mid-December.  We'll see.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #613 on: November 02, 2022, 08:34:40 AM »
Booked a couple trips.... Thanksgiving in Jacksonville to see my parents and 10 days in LA for work in December.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #614 on: November 02, 2022, 09:22:01 AM »
All right, got my passport in the mail today.  I am pleased.  Now I can go ahead and book a trip to Toronto, Ontario, Canada in February as I please.  Maybe go to Europe in the Summer.  If I'm really ambitious now that I have the passport, I may contemplate going to London in mid-December.  We'll see.
A bit of unsolicited advice based on my experience. Going overseas isn't like going to NY. Crossing 8 time zones kind of fucks with your head. It's something that's really only worth doing if you're planning a decent sized trip. Even a week isn't really enough, as you'll as much time traveling and getting squared away as you will touristing. I kind of decided that 10 days is the minimum for for me for it to be worth while. As with all things, YMMV, but if you haven't done it before you might want to be prepared for that.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #615 on: November 03, 2022, 06:44:45 AM »

Don't bother, other than the British Museum there isn't much worth seeing in London, lol  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Online faizoff

« Reply #616 on: November 03, 2022, 03:09:42 PM »
This time tomorrow I begin the dreadful 30hours plane journey back to the US. Longest leg is a 15 hour flight.
Blergh.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #617 on: November 03, 2022, 03:25:23 PM »

Don't bother, other than the British Museum there isn't much worth seeing in London, lol  :lol

U avin' a laugh mate?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #618 on: November 03, 2022, 07:57:29 PM »
This time tomorrow I begin the dreadful 30hours plane journey back to the US. Longest leg is a 15 hour flight.
Blergh.

Where did you go?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #619 on: November 09, 2022, 05:51:57 AM »
Well this trip has been a disaster, but we’re trying to laugh through it. (At some point, you almost have to)

As some of you might have seen in the coronavirus thread, we flew into Orlando on Friday Oct 28th with plans of spending one whole week with my son’s family and my new baby granddaughter, followed by a week at Disney World and Universal.

The first Monday, I woke up feeling like death and tested positive for Covid. I’ve been vaccinated along with 3 boosters, so symptoms were pretty mild (like a head cold) and only lasted about 48 hrs. But the CDC and hotel policy required we quarantine for 5 days, so that was our first week.

The following Saturday, I was still testing positive. However….again….the CDC guidelines were pretty specific that the omicron variant was showing a peak contagious window of 1-2 days before and 2-3 days after symptoms. So based on that, they say to quarantine 5 days, and then proceed about your business wearing a mask. We called Disney Theme parks to confirm this, and they reiterated that as long as we were following that guidance, we were welcome in the park.  (So everyone keep that in mind if you’re going to a theme park or anywhere else)

So this last Monday, we masked up and headed to the park. Monday was great. YESTERDAY OTOH  :facepalm:  We got a monsoon ahead of the upcoming storm. We were soaked to the bone by the time we got back to the hotel.

Now today we’ve got Hurricane Nichole just offshore, and we’re thinking Universal Studios will most likely be closed tomorrow.

My son still won’t see me because he’s worried about the baby.

At this point I just want to go home.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #620 on: November 09, 2022, 08:12:46 AM »
Well this trip has been a disaster, but we’re trying to laugh through it. (At some point, you almost have to)

As some of you might have seen in the coronavirus thread, we flew into Orlando on Friday Oct 28th with plans of spending one whole week with my son’s family and my new baby granddaughter, followed by a week at Disney World and Universal.

The first Monday, I woke up feeling like death and tested positive for Covid. I’ve been vaccinated along with 3 boosters, so symptoms were pretty mild (like a head cold) and only lasted about 48 hrs. But the CDC and hotel policy required we quarantine for 5 days, so that was our first week.

The following Saturday, I was still testing positive. However….again….the CDC guidelines were pretty specific that the omicron variant was showing a peak contagious window of 1-2 days before and 2-3 days after symptoms. So based on that, they say to quarantine 5 days, and then proceed about your business wearing a mask. We called Disney Theme parks to confirm this, and they reiterated that as long as we were following that guidance, we were welcome in the park.  (So everyone keep that in mind if you’re going to a theme park or anywhere else)

So this last Monday, we masked up and headed to the park. Monday was great. YESTERDAY OTOH  :facepalm:  We got a monsoon ahead of the upcoming storm. We were soaked to the bone by the time we got back to the hotel.

Now today we’ve got Hurricane Nichole just offshore, and we’re thinking Universal Studios will most likely be closed tomorrow.

Dang, that all really sucks. I'll be in Orlando next week for a work seminar and some Disney time with the wife and my youngest son. We are pretty much skipping all planned event this week just to stay healthy before we go. So much illness going around right now.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #621 on: November 09, 2022, 08:36:23 AM »
How are you feeling though?  And yeah, sounds like a nightmare vacation and that's just very unfortunate.  Maybe you should just go home if possible?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #622 on: November 09, 2022, 08:42:54 AM »

That really sucks, Dude. At least in my case I was able to cancel most of my travel plans.
E.F. Benson

Online faizoff

« Reply #623 on: November 09, 2022, 08:44:03 AM »
As someone who had COVID while on vacation I empathize with the dude, it blows chunks. Hope you're feeling ok.

Online faizoff

« Reply #624 on: November 09, 2022, 08:51:34 AM »
Blergh.

Where did you go?

Flew from India to the US via Qatar. super long ass flights that I dread every single time.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #625 on: November 09, 2022, 09:36:31 AM »
As someone who had COVID while on vacation I empathize with the dude, it blows chunks. Hope you're feeling ok.

I feel fine. I was a little surprised when everyone involved including the hotel, the CDC and Disney parks told me to go ahead and proceed with my life as long as I wear a mask even though I’m still technically testing positive.

Just kind of made me realize that apparently a lot of public places no longer care. so everyone else just keep that in mind when you’re the one that’s out traveling.

EDIT FOR DISCLAIMER- I haven’t actually tested since last Saturday and today is Wednesday. So I suppose things could have changed. But at this point, I don’t think I’m going to bother testing again until after I get home. That will be this Saturday.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #626 on: November 12, 2022, 12:17:49 PM »
Got lost on the way home from work and found this big hole in the ground.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #627 on: November 12, 2022, 12:33:27 PM »
How grand!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #628 on: November 22, 2022, 04:14:56 PM »
So I'm planning my trip to Toronto in February and looking at hotel prices, I'm contemplating getting an AirBnB instead.  I'm seeing some spots at good prices with some good enough reviews that's cheaper than the hotel I am thinking about booking.  The issue is that I have never reserved an AirBnB before.  Are they an ok thing to book and have a safe sleep in?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #629 on: November 22, 2022, 04:25:24 PM »
So I'm planning my trip to Toronto in February and looking at hotel prices, I'm contemplating getting an AirBnB instead.  I'm seeing some spots at good prices with some good enough reviews that's cheaper than the hotel I am thinking about booking.  The issue is that I have never reserved an AirBnB before.  Are they an ok thing to book and have a safe sleep in?
AirBnB is fine. I've stayed in plenty. You can often times do quite a bit better, so long as you don't care about the hotel amenities (and I sure don't). Just make sure you're  booking the entire place, and be mindful of the fees. I haven't been using ABB on my last few trips because the idea of a $70 cleaning fee for one night offends me to my very core.
E.F. Benson