Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 226671 times)

Online The Realm

Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #3710 on: May 13, 2024, 03:56:59 PM »
Yep….and I’m digging the first two episodes of Dark Matter.

Yes, I am also enjoying Dark Matter but just really surprised that after just watching Constellation along comes another show soon after using the same quantum physics multiverse concept.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3711 on: May 13, 2024, 04:06:27 PM »
Yes, I am also enjoying Dark Matter but just really surprised that after just watching Constellation along comes another show soon after using the same quantum physics multiverse concept.

It’s all the rage right now.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3712 on: May 13, 2024, 04:10:55 PM »
I never did buy into most of those shows that were star vehicles for actors that hit it big in other sitcoms.  Didn't watch Spin City, didn't watch Frazier... I'm sure there are others.

Buy into?  And did Kelsey Grammar really "hit it big" in Cheers?  Depending on the season, he was a lesser piece in an ensemble cast.  <shrug>

Bill, those 2 shows were excellent. Seriously. 

Frasier is a must watch for anyone who enjoys sitcoms.  I wouldn't put Spin City on the same level (based on what I've seen so far), but it's not bad (and, like I mentioned, Connie Britton!).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3713 on: May 14, 2024, 07:07:59 AM »
I'm not at all suggesting that I am reasonable in that position or that it's fact-based or anything like that. It's all perception.  I generally don't come to sit-coms until later, often when they move into syndication.   King of Queens; I LOVE that show and didn't see even one episode during it's first run.  I think Seinfeld is the last sitcom I watched in "real time" until the current series "Ghosts".

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3714 on: May 14, 2024, 10:03:50 AM »
I think Seinfeld is the last sitcom I watched in "real time" until the current series "Ghosts".

Once Friends ended, I was knee deep in kids and selling my soul to the practice of law.  I picked up How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory around the same time (TBBT when it started, and HIMYM a few years into its run).  I watched those to their conclusions.  I watched the pilot of Young Sheldon and thought it sucked, but I gave the show another chance a few years ago and have stayed with it through the end (which will be this Thursday).  Along the way, I picked up Brooklyn 99, The Good Place, Modern Family, and, most recently, Ghosts (although I didn't think much of the recently concluded season).  B99, TGP and Modern Family had all completed their runs when I started watching.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3715 on: May 14, 2024, 10:23:43 AM »
Once Friends ended, I was knee deep in kids and selling my soul to the practice of law.  I picked up How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory around the same time (TBBT when it started, and HIMYM a few years into its run).  I watched those to their conclusions.  I watched the pilot of Young Sheldon and thought it sucked, but I gave the show another chance a few years ago and have stayed with it through the end (which will be this Thursday).  Along the way, I picked up Brooklyn 99, The Good Place, Modern Family, and, most recently, Ghosts (although I didn't think much of the recently concluded season).  B99, TGP and Modern Family had all completed their runs when I started watching.

I liked the early Big Bang Theory, but it's on every night after the local news and I am beholden to the local weatherwoman, so I'm always watching that.   I saw the steady and continual decline of that show years before the end.  I am fully convinced that no sitcom should go more than four years.  Seinfeld the obvious exception).  EVERY sitcom, even the great ones, ALWAYS soften their characters to a point they are generic and uninspiring to me.  M*A*S*H is another; it was brash, sarcastic and satiric in the early years, and especially with BJ, it became "heart-warming".  Blech.   I am in the Larry David camp; I don't want "growth", I don't want "lessons". No learning. I'm not interested in the actors "bringing themselves" to the roles.   Sheldon in Year One was glorious. He was an obnoxious douche in the end.  Trapper, Blake, Frank Burns and the early Klinger were awesome.   Potter, Winchester, the later Klinger and especially BJ were nausea-inducing.   I have a standing objection to children in sitcoms, so I boycotted Young Sheldon from day one, and when it replaced TBBT after the news I inadvertently watched a couple episodes and bolstered my commitment to boycotting children actors.  That kid - granted it was the character too - was annoying beyond belief, and there was nothing funny about it to me. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3716 on: May 14, 2024, 12:41:07 PM »
Not a whole lot of comedy on that I like anymore.

But Resident Alien is pretty awesome.  I also liked Mrs. Davis, but I need to finish it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3717 on: May 14, 2024, 12:50:51 PM »
Finished Baby Reindeer.  While sad and disturbing, it was an emotional rollercoaster show and quite good at it.  I knew it was based on a true story, I did not realize until watching last night that the main actor not only wrote the story, but is the guy it's based on... and considering the story... I'm kind of shocked this guy was able to pull this off.  I feel like this would be incredible difficult to act out.  I'd be shocked if this guy doesn't win some sort of award for this because he was really good as himself in such a disturbing story.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3718 on: May 14, 2024, 01:05:50 PM »
But Resident Alien is pretty awesome.

I'm two episodes in to S3 of this one. REALLY like it.....so many great quips and one liners.....characters are hilarious as well.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3719 on: May 14, 2024, 01:10:22 PM »
I'm two episodes in to S3 of this one. REALLY like it.....so many great quips and one liners.....characters are hilarious as well.

I'm really loving the show, re-watching with the wife and we're both having a blast, jokes are so much funnier on 2nd viewing. Hope season 4 gets picked up somewhere soon.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3720 on: May 14, 2024, 04:41:11 PM »
I am beholden to the local weatherwoman

You just CAN'T do that and not tell us her name!

I saw the steady and continual decline of that show years before the end.  I am fully convinced that no sitcom should go more than four years.  Seinfeld the obvious exception).  EVERY sitcom, even the great ones, ALWAYS soften their characters to a point they are generic and uninspiring to me.  M*A*S*H is another; it was brash, sarcastic and satiric in the early years, and especially with BJ, it became "heart-warming".  Blech.   I am in the Larry David camp; I don't want "growth", I don't want "lessons". No learning. I'm not interested in the actors "bringing themselves" to the roles.   Sheldon in Year One was glorious. He was an obnoxious douche in the end.  Trapper, Blake, Frank Burns and the early Klinger were awesome.   Potter, Winchester, the later Klinger and especially BJ were nausea-inducing.

I couldn't disagree more.  I think TBBT held it's quality through all 12 seasons (which isn't to say there weren't some dud episodes, but there was never an extended slump).  Same with Friends.  As for MASH, we'll have a longer talk one of these days when we meet for a drink, but I have always preferred the BJ/Winchester era over the Trapper/Burns era.

I have a standing objection to children in sitcoms, so I boycotted Young Sheldon from day one, and when it replaced TBBT after the news I inadvertently watched a couple episodes and bolstered my commitment to boycotting children actors.  That kid - granted it was the character too - was annoying beyond belief, and there was nothing funny about it to me.

Understandable, and I almost didn't make it past the first few episodes for that reason.  A lot of TBBT fans want to see a sequel with the kids that all of the characters pumped out toward the end of the show and shortly after (in the finale, Penny revealed that she was pregnant, and narrator Sheldon in Young Sheldon has mentioned that he and Amy have two kids).  I think that would be awful.

By the way, I hope they don't write kids into Ghosts, which I think they might since Rose McIver was very obviously pregnant in the most recent season.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3721 on: May 15, 2024, 07:22:14 AM »
You just CAN'T do that and not tell us her name!

Rachel Frank. Outstanding.   (Her backup, Rachel Piscitelli, is great too, but I think she wants to be an anchorwoman; Rachel Frank is a weather geek and it shows.)

I couldn't disagree more.  I think TBBT held it's quality through all 12 seasons (which isn't to say there weren't some dud episodes, but there was never an extended slump).  Same with Friends.  As for MASH, we'll have a longer talk one of these days when we meet for a drink, but I have always preferred the BJ/Winchester era over the Trapper/Burns era.

It's not that the quality isn't there; it's not as if the writers forget how to write, and the actors forget how to act.  It's that the show must necessarily change.   Howard was hilarious when he was so over-the-top horndog with nothing to back it up. Him landing Bernadette (Melissa Rauch)?   Not buying it even for a second.  I'm not an actor, but I think it has to do with keeping the actors on the show; it's like they almost HAVE to introduce humanity to them to keep them interested.  But I'm not.  I have a wife and kids; I'm not interested in their getting wives and kids.  Sheldon with feelings isn't Sheldon, IMO; the whole point of the character in the early seasons was his abject rejection of feelings.  I haven't done any research, but I have a pet theory I'm working on: shows "jump the shark" when you can see the actors at the very end of a scene laughing and smiling at each other.   Larry Linville never smiled once at Hawkeye or Trapper.  You watch the latter day BBT episodes and there's at least one moment in almost every show where the ensemble is together and after the last joke of the scene is delivered, the camera pans back and someone is smiling with affection and holding back a laugh. It's like a victory lap and I hate it.   :) :) :) :)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3722 on: May 15, 2024, 07:22:47 AM »
I never did buy into most of those shows that were star vehicles for actors that hit it big in other sitcoms.  Didn't watch Spin City, didn't watch Frazier... I'm sure there are others.

Frazier was awesome.  I'm not interested in the reboot/sequel, but I LOVED the original with his dad and Niles from the 90's.  My parents were of the Cheers generation and the family all fell into watching Frazier.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3723 on: May 15, 2024, 07:29:31 AM »
Frazier was awesome.  I'm not interested in the reboot/sequel, but I LOVED the original with his dad and Niles from the 90's.  My parents were of the Cheers generation and the family all fell into watching Frazier.

Didn't really care for what I saw.  I liked Frazier when he was a boob playing sycophant to Sammy M, and following Lilith (who I LOVED) like a puppy dog.   As the star of the show, and sort of the "paterfamilias" not so much. 

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3724 on: May 15, 2024, 11:25:24 AM »
I also liked Mrs. Davis, but I need to finish it.

I was kinda hesitant for the first few episodes but it really picks up and watching it until the end proved to be a rewarding experience. Superb stuff.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3725 on: May 15, 2024, 11:50:41 AM »
It's not that the quality isn't there; it's not as if the writers forget how to write, and the actors forget how to act.  It's that the show must necessarily change.   Howard was hilarious when he was so over-the-top horndog with nothing to back it up. Him landing Bernadette (Melissa Rauch)?   Not buying it even for a second.  I'm not an actor, but I think it has to do with keeping the actors on the show; it's like they almost HAVE to introduce humanity to them to keep them interested.  But I'm not.  I have a wife and kids; I'm not interested in their getting wives and kids.  Sheldon with feelings isn't Sheldon, IMO; the whole point of the character in the early seasons was his abject rejection of feelings.  I haven't done any research, but I have a pet theory I'm working on: shows "jump the shark" when you can see the actors at the very end of a scene laughing and smiling at each other.   Larry Linville never smiled once at Hawkeye or Trapper.  You watch the latter day BBT episodes and there's at least one moment in almost every show where the ensemble is together and after the last joke of the scene is delivered, the camera pans back and someone is smiling with affection and holding back a laugh. It's like a victory lap and I hate it.   :) :) :) :)

Yeah TBBT was great through and through but they really changed everyone.

The entire point of Amy Farrah Fowler was the joke that Raj and Howard found on dating sites the perfect copy of Sheldon; in her very first scene she clearly states to Sheldon that physical contact is off limits, and later I remember she told Penny or whoever that the only reason she subscribed to a dating site was to get her mother off her back.

No one seemingly noticed that eventually she turned into the "ugly Betty" character that desperately craved the friendship and validation of the popular girl (Penny) and was longing to have a boyfriend in Sheldon.

And Stuart? we all remember him as this exagerated caricature of this wreck of a down on his luck, no-girls-want-him dude. In the beginning he was just a regular comic book shop owner who came this close to nail Penny ("Do you want to come inside for a cup of coffee?" "Isn't it a bit late?" "Oh sweet, you think that a cup of coffee means a cup of coffee".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3726 on: May 15, 2024, 01:29:03 PM »

The entire point of Amy Farrah Fowler was the joke that Raj and Howard found on dating sites the perfect copy of Sheldon; in her very first scene she clearly states to Sheldon that physical contact is off limits, and later I remember she told Penny or whoever that the only reason she subscribed to a dating site was to get her mother off her back.

No one seemingly noticed that eventually she turned into the "ugly Betty" character that desperately craved the friendship and validation of the popular girl (Penny) and was longing to have a boyfriend in Sheldon.

And Stuart? we all remember him as this exagerated caricature of this wreck of a down on his luck, no-girls-want-him dude. In the beginning he was just a regular comic book shop owner who came this close to nail Penny ("Do you want to come inside for a cup of coffee?" "Isn't it a bit late?" "Oh sweet, you think that a cup of coffee means a cup of coffee".

I know Bill and I have discussed in the past that, while Sheldon's evolution was fairly gradual and somewhat natural, Amy changed pretty drastically and more unnaturally.  As for Stuart, his evolution was interesting.  He was a reasonably together guy but spiraled downward when his business went into the toilet (and eventually burned down).  He was on the mend toward the end when he met Denise.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3727 on: May 15, 2024, 01:34:39 PM »
I know Bill and I have discussed in the past that, while Sheldon's evolution was fairly gradual and somewhat natural, Amy changed pretty drastically and more unnaturally.  As for Stuart, his evolution was interesting.  He was a reasonably together guy but spiraled downward when his business went into the toilet (and eventually burned down).  He was on the mend toward the end when he met Denise.

See, I'm sitting here shaking my head.  "Stuart meeting Denise" is everything I'm talking about.  Not that I want these characters to be frozen in time or anything, but we ARE suspending reality on these shows to begin with; if change we must, then at least not make it so predictable and so much like every change we ever see in these shows.

"Lovable".  I think except for Hugh Laurie, every actor on a long-running show seems to get to a point where they want to be the "lovable" character or at least show they're human.  It's like they're all trying to be the Beatles and have someone for everyone.  Blech.   

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3728 on: May 15, 2024, 01:53:30 PM »

This show was a HUGE swing and miss on/for me. I really wanted to like it....there was just nothing there that was remotely funny to me. I think if you take out the laugh tracks a lot of folks would see just how not funny the show was.

but....lot's of people liked it so whatevs.....

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3729 on: May 15, 2024, 01:59:12 PM »
ITT Stadler proves himself to be a Grinch by demonstrating that his heart is two sizes too small.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3730 on: May 15, 2024, 02:02:41 PM »
ITT Stadler proves himself to be a Grinch by demonstrating that his heart is two sizes too small.

What?  NO!  :)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3731 on: May 16, 2024, 03:02:25 PM »
Finished Pam & Tommy. Miniseries about their leaked (stolen) sex tape.

That was surprisingly nice. Just when I thought that the casting / makeup department of The Crown, with Diana, could consider themselves the very best, here comes along Pamela Anderson which, if you'd have told me they picked the actual Pamela Anderson and digitially made her younger, I would have believed it. She was exactly as I remember her. And on the other hand, I absolutely did not recognized the Winter Soldier until I actually bothered to check who was playing Tommy Lee!

I like how in the beginning they get you rooting for the thief, showing Tommy being an absolute and complete asshole, and then slowly they get you to realize that he is the victim, and even moreso Pamela. In 1996 there wasn't just the sensibility for the topic of "revenge porn" so some considerations from Pam were really poignant.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3732 on: May 16, 2024, 03:23:48 PM »
This show was a HUGE swing and miss on/for me. I really wanted to like it....there was just nothing there that was remotely funny to me. I think if you take out the laugh tracks a lot of folks would see just how not funny the show was.

but....lot's of people liked it so whatevs.....

I see a lot of people base these accusations under the flag of “pop culture references are not jokes”… and I would simply say that to some people, that style of humor isn’t funny. But I absolutely believe that well timed pop culture references can absolutely be hilarious.  Because let’s face it, any comedian will tell you that comedy is more timing than anything else.  And MST3K made an entire 35 year franchise out of comedy based almost entirely on well timed pop culture references.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3733 on: May 20, 2024, 09:42:23 AM »
Just started watching Sugar on Apple TV+.  It's a neo-noir starring Colin Farell.

O man, this is right up my alley.  From using Kamasi Washington's "Street Fighter Mas" as it's theme music, to the nice cast and subject matter, I am all in on this one. 

Online The Realm

« Reply #3734 on: May 20, 2024, 03:24:21 PM »
Just started watching Sugar on Apple TV+.  It's a neo-noir starring Colin Farell.

O man, this is right up my alley.  From using Kamasi Washington's "Street Fighter Mas" as it's theme music, to the nice cast and subject matter, I am all in on this one.

I have 2 episodes to go and I am not sure if I will finish it. Interested to see how you feel about the show as it progresses....I won't spoil anything..

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3735 on: May 21, 2024, 06:52:12 AM »
I have 2 episodes to go and I am not sure if I will finish it. Interested to see how you feel about the show as it progresses....I won't spoil anything..
It definitely hit a twist, didn't it?

I only have the finale to go.  The twist definitely changed the show in a way that I've never seen a show be changed before.  But that's OK.  I'm here for the weird.  If they nail the finale, it will have been worth it.  Don't quit now.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3736 on: May 21, 2024, 09:07:44 AM »
I watched the very first episode of All in the Family the other night.

I thought it would feel dated considering that it aired in 1971. But I was immediately shocked at how much Archie and Michael’s arguments sounded exactly like a modern day argument on Facebook.  They were even disagreeing over the concept of systematic racism, which I didn’t even realize was apparently a 50 year old debate and not more recent.

It then made me realize that neither the right nor the left have accomplished anything at all in over 50 years. They’ve spent over half a century having the exact same arguments over and over again and accomplishing NOTHING.

I thought about making a P/R thread about it, but it’s a TV show, so I figured I would float my initial thoughts here.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3737 on: May 21, 2024, 09:58:43 AM »
I watched the very first episode of All in the Family the other night.

I thought it would feel dated considering that it aired in 1971. But I was immediately shocked at how much Archie and Michael’s arguments sounded exactly like a modern day argument on Facebook.  They were even disagreeing over the concept of systematic racism, which I didn’t even realize was apparently a 50 year old debate and not more recent.

It then made me realize that neither the right nor the left have accomplished anything at all in over 50 years. They’ve spent over half a century having the exact same arguments over and over again and accomplishing NOTHING.

I thought about making a P/R thread about it, but it’s a TV show, so I figured I would float my initial thoughts here.
:tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3738 on: May 21, 2024, 01:28:17 PM »
OK, I finished Sugar.

I loved it.  A lot has been made of the twist, but although it casts the overall story in a somewhat different light, it doesn't change the fundamental gist of the show.  I thought it was very well written, well acted, and well shot.  I hope it gets renewed for a second season, because I am here for it.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3739 on: May 21, 2024, 01:47:36 PM »
I think I'm going to watch the new Billy Corgan reality tv show on The CW.  Apparently the app is free, so I'm kind of curious.  I'm a Smashing Pumpkins fan, but I find Billy himself to be a pretty polarizing dude.  The show could be good, or terrible, but I'm curious.

Billy Corgan's Adventures in Carnyland (2024)
Billy juggles his music career with The Smashing Pumpkins, reviving his wrestling promotion National Wrestling Alliance, family life with his fiancée Chloe Mendel and their two kids, in a multitasking whirlwind that tests his limits.

Online The Realm

« Reply #3740 on: May 21, 2024, 04:26:33 PM »
OK, I finished Sugar.

I loved it.  A lot has been made of the twist, but although it casts the overall story in a somewhat different light, it doesn't change the fundamental gist of the show.  I thought it was very well written, well acted, and well shot.  I hope it gets renewed for a second season, because I am here for it.

Good to hear. I will finish it but might have to wait until the weekend.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3741 on: May 21, 2024, 06:36:58 PM »
OK, I finished Sugar.

I was going to watch this one.....but have a question about the 'twist'.    Is the twist done in a way where they inserted this outrageous twist just to be outrageous or clever without it really fitting the story......or does it eventually fit the story?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3742 on: May 22, 2024, 09:15:36 AM »
I was going to watch this one.....but have a question about the 'twist'.    Is the twist done in a way where they inserted this outrageous twist just to be outrageous or clever without it really fitting the story......or does it eventually fit the story?
It fits the story, IMO.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3743 on: May 22, 2024, 11:44:31 AM »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3744 on: May 23, 2024, 09:12:49 AM »
Has anyone seen the Beatles movie on Disney+? I never really cared for the Beatles, of course I damn well know who they are and what they meant but I'd probably have a hard time to name 10 songs.

Do you really need to know the band to enjoy the documentary or it's something that can has artistic value even though you don't know the band?