Author Topic: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan  (Read 63518 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan
« Reply #525 on: May 17, 2016, 02:54:38 PM »
So I'm up to All For The Glory and it's really the only song off of SB that I didn't think sucked. I actually like it. Is that Eric singing?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #526 on: May 17, 2016, 06:07:00 PM »
So I'm up to All For The Glory and it's really the only song off of SB that I didn't think sucked. I actually like it. Is that Eric singing?
Yep, that's Eric singing

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #527 on: May 18, 2016, 12:03:13 AM »

Yep. I love his voice. The funniest bit is in the bridge section when Eric and Paul are doing a harmony, and Paul slowly takes over the mix. :lol
And wtf? Nothing on SB sucks, except Say Yeah.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #528 on: May 18, 2016, 12:38:02 AM »
I found all the Eric/Tommy songs on SB and M sucked.

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #529 on: May 18, 2016, 04:33:00 AM »

I have a soft spot for Outta This World (must be the Rocket Ride vibe in the lyrics combined with the outro.  The other Eric/Tommy songs are terrible.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #530 on: May 18, 2016, 07:12:27 AM »

I have a soft spot for Outta This World (must be the Rocket Ride vibe in the lyrics combined with the outro.  The other Eric/Tommy songs are terrible.

Totally respecting everyone's right to like (or not) what they like, but I personally think "terrible" is a little strong.   Certainly they are stronger than "I Just Found My Way" (back to you, babe!).   Or "Hooligan" (won't go to school, again!). 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #531 on: May 18, 2016, 07:19:29 AM »
Oh whoa no Stadler. :lol

I kid.  I'm with you.  they are just average.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #532 on: May 18, 2016, 07:23:45 AM »
whoa no

This is a KISS thread -  "Whoa yeah!" is the way to go  :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: May 18, 2016, 07:25:12 AM »
Well all right.......
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #534 on: May 18, 2016, 08:47:32 AM »

Yep. I love his voice. The funniest bit is in the bridge section when Eric and Paul are doing a harmony, and Paul slowly takes over the mix. :lol
And wtf? Nothing on SB sucks, except Say Yeah.

What? Say Yeah is the only song I really like on SB! :lol

So SB was better, though not great, on the second listen. But I still don't feel it's in Monster's class. I LOVE All For The Glory. I do like Say Yeah a lot, and Yes I Know also stood out a bit.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #535 on: May 18, 2016, 09:11:11 AM »

Totally respecting everyone's right to like (or not) what they like, but I personally think "terrible" is a little strong.   Certainly they are stronger than "I Just Found My Way" (back to you, babe!).   Or "Hooligan" (won't go to school, again!).

I finally found my way may be the worst song in the KISS Catalog (and that's saying something).  Hooligan gets a pass because of Ace's killer solo (see Houston '77 for additional proof).
It's weird because as much as I loathe When Lightning Strikes, I'm in the opposite direction for Outta This World.  Eric's songs to me seem forced and contrived (and I'm a huge ES fan going back to the Badlands days).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #536 on: May 18, 2016, 09:13:12 AM »
I'm the opposite. I feel like the Tommy songs are forced and contrived. I do like Outta This World. Total Ace vibe.

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #537 on: May 18, 2016, 09:22:57 AM »
I'm the opposite. I feel like the Tommy songs are forced and contrived. I do like Outta This World. Total Ace vibe.

Just curious...what are your standout Monster tracks?  For some reason, that album doesn't sit well with me.  I love Shout Mercy, and Long Way Down is one of the more musically ambitious tracks in the catalog but the rest of it is just missing something for me.  For example, I think Wall Of Sound could be an all time Gene classic but it's just underdeveloped.  The band boasted about Back To the Stone Age but to me it's throwaway filler, same for The Devil Is Me (sounds like a spruced up Family jewels theme song).  Eat Your Heart Out is just a weak song, same for the token Eric song All For The Love of R&R (dig the Stones vibe but it just doesn't work for me).  The production is so harsh that I find it tedious to listen to.  To me it's just there...a 6 or 6.5 out of 10 at best.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #538 on: May 18, 2016, 09:41:28 AM »

Just curious...what are your standout Monster tracks?  For some reason, that album doesn't sit well with me.  I love Shout Mercy, and Long Way Down is one of the more musically ambitious tracks in the catalog but the rest of it is just missing something for me.  For example, I think Wall Of Sound could be an all time Gene classic but it's just underdeveloped.  The band boasted about Back To the Stone Age but to me it's throwaway filler, same for The Devil Is Me (sounds like a spruced up Family jewels theme song).  Eat Your Heart Out is just a weak song, same for the token Eric song All For The Love of R&R (dig the Stones vibe but it just doesn't work for me).  The production is so harsh that I find it tedious to listen to.  To me it's just there...a 6 or 6.5 out of 10 at best.

Even though I am an Old School Kiss fan, I am literally hearing both albums for the first time in the past week or so. I literally had no interest in either TBH. After keeping up with this thread, it put me in a Kiss mode. I figured I'd check the albums on Spotify and listened to Monster. I found it much stronger than I expected. I immediately bought both, SB blindly.
So to answer your question..

I love H or H. It reminds me of the great 80's Paul openers like I've Had Enough, King Of The Mountain, etc.. I actually think it's the strongest song from both albums.
I also like Freak a lot. And I like the Tommy/Eric songs.

I'm with you on The Devil Is Me, and there is something missing in Wall Of Sound. You mention Eat Your Heart Out as weak. It's funny you say that because whenever someone does a KISS album ranking, there's usually one album where you go..WTF?? For me, that album is Asylum. And EYHO has an Asylum feel. My guess is that you rate that album pretty low, as do most.. But I like it a lot.

I feel like Monster loses a little steam at the end.

SB has some brutally awful songs, like Russian Roulette, and Hot And Cold. I'm not saying Monster is a great KISS album. I'm just saying it's better than I expected and I like it better than SB. I'm still taking 15-20 albums before Monster, trust me.

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #539 on: May 18, 2016, 09:57:30 AM »
I like Asylum more than most but truthfully, I like Gene's songs (esp Any Way You Slice It and Trial By Fire...Secretly Cruel too) more than Paul's which for me is an anomaly on the non-makeup albums.  I got it for Christmas in 1985 and right out of the gate I didn't care for King Of The Mountain, I'm Alive, or Uh! All Night.  Who Wants To Be Lonely and Tears are Falling are killer and probably lift the album higher than it S/B.
Whoah...I love Russian Roulette but totally agree about Hot & Cold.  My expectations were low for SB and were exceeded, but higher for Monster and I was let down.  Both are still lower-tier KISS albums for me. 
I'm in the process of ranking Stadler's list after a catalog listen through.  I won't be as detailed as I can talk about KISS ad nauseam...I'll just list them in order.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #540 on: May 18, 2016, 10:32:16 AM »
whoa no

This is a KISS thread -  "Whoa yeah!" is the way to go  :metal

NERD ALERT:   "Whoa no" counts though; a call-and-response of that is in the pre-chorus of "Got Love For Sale".

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: May 18, 2016, 10:34:17 AM »
Bingo! :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #542 on: May 18, 2016, 12:27:04 PM »
I like Asylum more than most but truthfully, I like Gene's songs (esp Any Way You Slice It and Trial By Fire...Secretly Cruel too) more than Paul's which for me is an anomaly on the non-makeup albums.  I got it for Christmas in 1985 and right out of the gate I didn't care for King Of The Mountain, I'm Alive, or Uh! All Night.  Who Wants To Be Lonely and Tears are Falling are killer and probably lift the album higher than it S/B.
Whoah...I love Russian Roulette but totally agree about Hot & Cold.  My expectations were low for SB and were exceeded, but higher for Monster and I was let down.  Both are still lower-tier KISS albums for me. 
I'm in the process of ranking Stadler's list after a catalog listen through.  I won't be as detailed as I can talk about KISS ad nauseam...I'll just list them in order.

Nice on the Asylum love. I agree with you about Gene's songs. I am not a Gene guy, but Asylum, to me, is the best "Gene Songs" album of the 80's.
Though I do skip Radar For Love every time and Tears Are Falling half the time. I love King Of The Mountain though. Love how they started the album with a drum solo! :metal

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #543 on: May 18, 2016, 12:39:36 PM »
SB has some brutally awful songs, like Russian Roulette, and Hot And Cold.

They're two of the best, you nitwit! :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #544 on: May 18, 2016, 12:45:31 PM »
Do the songs come mislabeled in Australia??  ;D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #545 on: May 18, 2016, 12:47:38 PM »
I think your opinions are mislabeled. :getoffmylawn:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #546 on: May 18, 2016, 12:50:19 PM »
I think your opinions are mislabeled. :getoffmylawn:

Woah no..

(wouldn't be the first time  :lol)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: May 18, 2016, 01:24:29 PM »
Don't worry Blob,  an American agrees with you.   

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #548 on: May 18, 2016, 02:36:42 PM »
Even though I like Monster better than SB, I have to say it has one of their most cringe-worthy songs in "Take Me Down Below".  IMO, that song and "Read My Body" are probably the 2 worst songs they've put out since the 80's.

NERD ALERT:   "Whoa no" counts though; a call-and-response of that is in the pre-chorus of "Got Love For Sale".
NICE!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #549 on: May 18, 2016, 02:39:46 PM »
I don't disagree about Take Me Down Below. And as a general statement, a lot of KISS' sexual lyrics were cringe worthy in the 80's when the band was still relatively young. Now, they're just gross! :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #550 on: May 18, 2016, 06:27:19 PM »
I don't disagree about Take Me Down Below. And as a general statement, a lot of KISS' sexual lyrics were cringe worthy in the 80's when the band was still relatively young. Now, they're just gross! :lol

That's just it; you can't void Kiss for cringe-worthy, that's half the catalogue.   But very rarely did they veer into gross (even Christine Sixteen isn't really "gross") but "Take Me Down Below" I think crosses the line.

I stand by my list; SB is better than Monster, but neither outright suck.

"Nitwit" is a great word. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #551 on: May 18, 2016, 06:41:52 PM »
I must have my ears on backwards.  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #552 on: May 18, 2016, 06:43:11 PM »

Or you're talking out of...... ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #553 on: May 18, 2016, 06:44:15 PM »

Or you're talking out of...... ;D

Shit, I on a good night, I can do half the alphabet!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: May 18, 2016, 06:46:02 PM »
 :lol

I can sing God Of Thunder.

Hey wait a.....

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #555 on: May 18, 2016, 06:47:32 PM »
And you guys reckon KISS' lyrics are gross  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #556 on: May 18, 2016, 06:49:20 PM »
 :rollin

Tim said that. Lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #557 on: May 18, 2016, 06:55:43 PM »
 :rollin

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #558 on: May 19, 2016, 03:08:26 AM »
Even though I like Monster better than SB, I have to say it has one of their most cringe-worthy songs in "Take Me Down Below".  IMO, that song and "Read My Body" are probably the 2 worst songs they've put out since the 80's.

NICE!!!

I had HitS on in the car the other day and was prepared to give RMB a chance - only when it came to it I hadn't even bothered ripping it!  :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #559 on: May 19, 2016, 05:42:44 AM »
I listened to HiTS the other day. I have to say that it is a Bottom 5 album for me. Maybe Bottom 3. I forgot how much it sucked.

Always have loved You Love Me To Hate You though. It was such an awesome tour too. When they seemed to really embrace the older stuff again.