Author Topic: The Astonishing - Unpopular opinions  (Read 63587 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The Astonishing - Unpopular opinions
« Reply #525 on: February 26, 2016, 09:40:59 AM »
I thought progressive music can encapsulate all styles of music?!  When did DT say we are a prog metal band ect.....?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #526 on: February 26, 2016, 09:44:42 AM »
When did DT say we are a prog metal band ect.....?

???  Uh...pretty much since day 1.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #527 on: February 26, 2016, 09:50:00 AM »

They've always talked about influences and never stated that they are just (this style of music) 

Labels are so silly anyway.  You and I know they are a prog rock band that also love metal.  We as fans love to label.  So nee ner, nee ner. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #528 on: February 26, 2016, 10:01:51 AM »
If you go by what bands call themselves, they are all completely overturning music as we know it, defying all labels.
In reality though, DT is prog metal.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #529 on: February 26, 2016, 10:02:41 AM »
And I agree that they are but DT when they came out never called themselves Prog Metal.  That label came after.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #530 on: February 26, 2016, 10:17:06 AM »
How many bands pioneering a subgenre label themselves as such? The great bands are more concerned with playing music than inventing labels. I find that the bands who define their own new subgenres usually don't deserve that status. :lol
It's only in hindsight that these turning points of music are usually given these new labels. And that label for DT is prog metal.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #531 on: February 26, 2016, 10:22:53 AM »
DT is obviously djent.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #532 on: February 26, 2016, 10:23:18 AM »
How many bands pioneering a subgenre label themselves as such? The great bands are more concerned with playing music than inventing labels. I find that the bands who define their own new subgenres usually don't deserve that status. :lol
It's only in hindsight that these turning points of music are usually given these new labels. And that label for DT is prog metal.
That's how the beautiful art of djent was born.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #533 on: February 26, 2016, 10:28:25 AM »
"rock opera" and "progressive metal" aren't even the same category of thing.

THIS THING CANNOT POSSIBLY BE AN AUTOMOBILE.

IT IS CLEARLY BLUE.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #534 on: February 26, 2016, 10:33:01 AM »
The only thing I have to add to the current conversation is that, I think TA would be infinitely more interesting, to me, if it had some truly brootal passages in the same vein of the Test That Stumped Them All.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #535 on: February 26, 2016, 10:48:44 AM »
One main problem I've noticed others saying is the structures. Mainly the intros starting off soft. I don't got a problem with it, I actually enjoy them.

I knew The Astonishing would divide the fan base a bit.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #536 on: February 26, 2016, 10:56:29 AM »
DT is obviously djent.

DjenT

As for The Astonishing, I'd compare it to Octavarium in term of heaviness. Not super heavy as a whole, a lot of softer sections, but still a lot of rocking moments spread throughout. The only thing that Octavarium has that The Astonishing doesn't is a fast-paced song who is heavy all the way through.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #537 on: February 26, 2016, 11:00:17 AM »
I remember saying on youtube how Our New World was some kind of pop metal song and that it deserved to get radio play, and some guy argued with me for a good while about how Dream Theater was only a prog metal band and basically how I don't know anything about music and should stop talking lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #538 on: February 26, 2016, 12:18:27 PM »

They've always talked about influences and never stated that they are just (this style of music) 

Labels are so silly anyway.  You and I know they are a prog rock band that also love metal.  We as fans love to label.  So nee ner, nee ner. :lol

There have been a lot of bands-such as Black Sabbath and Motley Crue-who have rejected the label of "heavy metal" for themselves.

As for DT, if anyone was to ask me to "define" I would say that they are a band that is influenced by MANY different kinds of music, and heavy metal just happens to be ONE of them.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #539 on: February 26, 2016, 01:30:24 PM »
Regarding the style/genre conversation, I thought this would be of interest (sorry if it's already been posted):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X39qjhg165w

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #540 on: February 26, 2016, 03:22:17 PM »

It somewhat baffles me how something that is considered to be a rock opera is somehow progressive metal.

You do realize that "progressive" and "metal" both fall under the very broad umbrella of "rock," right?

Yes, and I'm sure you realize that metal and rock are also considered to be separate genres or sub genres if you will.  An album with a rock opera theme can have elements of progressive metal and still not be considered a progressive metal album as a whole.  I believe that was the point I was trying to make.

Wait, what?  No!  You have it precisely backwards.  Metal and rock are not separate genres.  Metal is a type of rock, and has been since its inception.  I have no idea where the idea that they are somehow separate comes from.  And although quibbling over labels is kinda silly and counterproductive, I'm still not sure how the Astonishing could not be considered a "progressive metal" album.  It is in every sense of the word.  As already pointed out, "progressive metal" and "rock opera" are not in any way mutually exclusive.  They are different types of descriptions altogether, and can easily describe the same album (just as they are both used to describe albums from other bands besides Dream Theater).

Well, if quibbling over labels is counterproductive, then I guess we're all guilty of that. :lol Maybe I misused the word "genre" and I'm not an expert in all the different labels that music is given.  That doesn't mean I can't distinguish one type of music from another.  Nevertheless, they are different types of descriptions as you mentioned simply because that's what they are, different.  That's the separation I was talking about.  I don't believe that a rock opera theme and progressive metal are even remotely close to each other.  TA simply isn't heavy enough to be considered a metal album in any descriptive form.  It falls under the "rock" descriptive and leans even more toward "soft rock" but not "metal" or "progressive metal" for that matter.  For a band that has been predominantly "progressive metal" through out most of their catalog, TA is probably the polar opposite of that representation.  If that happens to be an unpopular opinion, then I came to the right place. :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #541 on: February 26, 2016, 03:35:05 PM »
Rock opera doesn't really mean anything about how heavy or light it is though, it just means there's a narrative to it.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #542 on: February 26, 2016, 05:46:52 PM »
Rock opera does not have any real limits to musical style, as I have heard rock operas go from hard rock to heavy metal. Prog metal and rock opera do not contradict each other.

Now as to whether DT is prog metal enough, well, that would be up to the listener's appreciation. If you take Images and Words, Falling Into Infinity, or SFAM as comparison, I think TA is comparable.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #543 on: February 26, 2016, 06:08:50 PM »
People that listen to metal all the time don't realize how heavy parts of TA are. Try playing TWS or TPTD for your mother or grandmother or some Bieber fan girl and watch their reaction.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #544 on: February 26, 2016, 06:27:56 PM »
I agree.

There are parts of it that are PLENTY heavy enough.

Also parts of it that are plenty DREAM THEATER enough.

I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #545 on: February 26, 2016, 06:32:18 PM »
MOB is incredibly heavy.

It actually could have been a TOT song.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #546 on: February 26, 2016, 06:38:47 PM »
This album is no less heavy than Images and Words. As a matter of fact, I think there are a few heavier spots on TA that are heavier than anything on I & W.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #547 on: February 26, 2016, 07:18:32 PM »
This album is no less heavy than Images and Words. As a matter of fact, I think there are a few heavier spots on TA that are heavier than anything on I & W.

No question.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #548 on: February 26, 2016, 07:55:06 PM »
I think the problem with Disc 2 that some people have but were not articulating is that in a big section of the disc, the heavy and the soft songs are lumped, instead of alternating.

Lump of heavy songs:

The Path That Divides
The Walking Shadow
My Last Farewell

Lump of soft songs:

Losing Faythe
Whispers on the Wind
Hymn of a Thousand Voices

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #549 on: February 26, 2016, 08:41:59 PM »

Well, if quibbling over labels is counterproductive, then I guess we're all guilty of that. :lol Maybe I misused the word "genre" and I'm not an expert in all the different labels that music is given.  That doesn't mean I can't distinguish one type of music from another.  Nevertheless, they are different types of descriptions as you mentioned simply because that's what they are, different.  That's the separation I was talking about. I don't believe that a rock opera theme and progressive metal are even remotely close to each other.  TA simply isn't heavy enough to be considered a metal album in any descriptive form.  It falls under the "rock" descriptive and leans even more toward "soft rock" but not "metal" or "progressive metal" for that matter.  For a band that has been predominantly "progressive metal" through out most of their catalog, TA is probably the polar opposite of that representation.  If that happens to be an unpopular opinion, then I came to the right place. :biggrin:

Just because you do not believe it does not mean it is not true.

Metal falls under the very broad rock umbrella (as I said already).

"Opera" in the rock sense means something of a conceptual and/or symphonic nature with a running narrative or story.

I know you won't agree, but you are pretty much arguing against what is commonly known as fact.

If you don't like TA, that is fine. I can see why it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but you are basically saying you expected something else and then are trying to argue that it's not something that it clearly is.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #550 on: February 26, 2016, 09:58:03 PM »
I'm convinced there are some people who simply do not want to like the album, and no matter what happens they will refuse to enjoy it.

I don't know. I think people get frustrated when they feel they are let down by something. This album may not appeal to everyone.

It's way too soft and so cheezy.  It looks like Jordan and James wrote it.

Well this is a new one.

It's funny how you can't respect other people's opinion.

In reading through your recent posts for the first few days, it is pretty clear that the one showing a lack of respect is you.  You are allowed to like or dislike whatever you choose, and you are welcome to express those likes and dislikes here.  However, your constant baiting of others is not allowed here and needs to stop.  Consider this an official warning.

Really?  I haven't done much, just my opinions towards the album.  And when I was basically showing a negative aspect of it, I got a lot of "wow, that's new to me", "you just like to hate for no reason" bla, bla, bla.  I just said something about someone who does not appear to express appropriate respect towards other people opinion when they are the opposite of his.  Sorry if I'm not in your fan club and honestly if it takes only that to be kicked out, well go ahead Mr.  Your skin is as soft as DT last album ::)
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #551 on: February 27, 2016, 04:29:18 AM »

Well, if quibbling over labels is counterproductive, then I guess we're all guilty of that. :lol Maybe I misused the word "genre" and I'm not an expert in all the different labels that music is given.  That doesn't mean I can't distinguish one type of music from another.  Nevertheless, they are different types of descriptions as you mentioned simply because that's what they are, different.  That's the separation I was talking about. I don't believe that a rock opera theme and progressive metal are even remotely close to each other.  TA simply isn't heavy enough to be considered a metal album in any descriptive form.  It falls under the "rock" descriptive and leans even more toward "soft rock" but not "metal" or "progressive metal" for that matter.  For a band that has been predominantly "progressive metal" through out most of their catalog, TA is probably the polar opposite of that representation.  If that happens to be an unpopular opinion, then I came to the right place. :biggrin:

Just because you do not believe it does not mean it is not true.

Metal falls under the very broad rock umbrella (as I said already).

"Opera" in the rock sense means something of a conceptual and/or symphonic nature with a running narrative or story.

I know you won't agree, but you are pretty much arguing against what is commonly known as fact.

If you don't like TA, that is fine. I can see why it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but you are basically saying you expected something else and then are trying to argue that it's not something that it clearly is.

This is true. Also along with the fact that most (apart from one) Ayreon albums are Rock Operas and yet are thought to be Progressive Metal apart from 'The Dream Sequencer'. Most of their albums (particularly The Final Experiment, Into the Electric Castle and The Human Equation) hover around the heaviness of TA.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #552 on: February 27, 2016, 05:30:57 AM »
I just said something about someone who does not appear to express appropriate respect towards other people opinion when they are the opposite of his.
He didn't show any lack of respect.  He literally said this was an opinion he had never heard before. 

In what universe is that a lack of respect?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #553 on: February 27, 2016, 05:48:05 AM »
I'm convinced there are some people who simply do not want to like the album, and no matter what happens they will refuse to enjoy it.

I don't know. I think people get frustrated when they feel they are let down by something. This album may not appeal to everyone.

It's way too soft and so cheezy.  It looks like Jordan and James wrote it.

Well this is a new one.

It's funny how you can't respect other people's opinion.

In reading through your recent posts for the first few days, it is pretty clear that the one showing a lack of respect is you.  You are allowed to like or dislike whatever you choose, and you are welcome to express those likes and dislikes here.  However, your constant baiting of others is not allowed here and needs to stop.  Consider this an official warning.

Really?  I haven't done much, just my opinions towards the album.  And when I was basically showing a negative aspect of it, I got a lot of "wow, that's new to me", "you just like to hate for no reason" bla, bla, bla.  I just said something about someone who does not appear to express appropriate respect towards other people opinion when they are the opposite of his.  Sorry if I'm not in your fan club and honestly if it takes only that to be kicked out, well go ahead Mr.  Your skin is as soft as DT last album ::)

:corn

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: February 27, 2016, 06:14:04 AM »
*Makes an agressive proclamation*

*Is sensitive when one responds*

I wonder how he would react if one responded baking the same way to him?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #555 on: February 27, 2016, 07:19:11 AM »

Is he making cookies, because I am totally in the mood for some right now.

I think you're completely misconstruing everyone's comments. For the most part, we're all a respectful group of people. Every so often someone will make a completely inappropriate comment, but you know right away it's inappropriate and disrespectful. If anyone is hostile here, it's you when people disagree with what you say. There's a way to discuss differing opinions without turning it into a mess. Nobody here has been blatantly disrespectful towards you. However, when you respond like someone has, you might incite aggression in others. Before you respond to someone's comment, think really hard about whether or not you truly believe this person was being disrespectful. If you have the slightest doubt then logic would tell you they weren't. This would be an example of a disrespectful comment after your too soft and too cheesy critique: "Well that's fucking stupid. You must have no brain." or "Maybe your mom should take you to get your hearing tested."

Get it?   :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #556 on: February 27, 2016, 08:05:39 AM »
My mistake worked perfectly for you as a metaphor.  :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #557 on: February 27, 2016, 08:10:14 AM »
My mistake worked perfectly for you as a metaphor.  :lol

;)   

But now I want cookies.   :lol

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #558 on: February 27, 2016, 08:37:04 AM »

I think you're completely misconstruing everyone's comments. For the most part, we're all a respectful group of people. Every so often someone will make a completely inappropriate comment, but you know right away it's inappropriate and disrespectful. If anyone is hostile here, it's you when people disagree with what you say. There's a way to discuss differing opinions without turning it into a mess. Nobody here has been blatantly disrespectful towards you. However, when you respond like someone has, you might incite aggression in others. Before you respond to someone's comment, think really hard about whether or not you truly believe this person was being disrespectful. If you have the slightest doubt then logic would tell you they weren't. This would be an example of a disrespectful comment after your too soft and too cheesy critique: "Well that's fucking stupid. You must have no brain." or "Maybe your mom should take you to get your hearing tested."

You're so kind for being so explicite. I'm around in other topics, the exchanges between members and myself are constructive and creative. Here? I pointed out something. It did not please you.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #559 on: February 27, 2016, 08:52:49 AM »

You're so kind for being so explicite. I'm around in other topics, the exchanges between members and myself are constructive and creative. Here? I pointed out something. It did not please you.

Your original post regarding this topic was not constructive or creative. This was your comment: "It's way too soft and so cheezy.  It looks like Jordan and James wrote it."  That was neither constructive nor creative. You didn't expound on your statement. It was just that, a statement, so why should anyone in return give you a long thought out response?