Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200710 times)

Offline Panar

• Caught In A Web
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with trailer!)
« Reply #6930 on: January 21, 2016, 08:00:00 AM »
OR could have been some output settings from the broadcast system ET is using. As I said earlier..its a mystery!
Anyway can't wait for the album..It's gonna be awesome for sure...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6931 on: January 21, 2016, 08:08:52 AM »

Maybe you should see a doctor, I'm afraid your PMU Syndrome is getting worse every

Offline CoT67

« Reply #6932 on: January 21, 2016, 08:12:44 AM »
I'm not sure I understand the concerns from those who 'haven't heard' the album.  There is a single release of the Gift of Music on Amazon which has been confirmed to be post-master.  Moment of Betrayal was only a radio broadcast and subsequent youtube quality, so I somewhat understand the concern there.  The mp3 of TGoM should be a barometer as to how you'll like the sound on the new album, not other people's reviews/comments.

Your logic is absolutely right. BUT: Judging from the MOB track, the sound is a little different from TGOM. The bass is higher and rounder. So I assume that *maybe* they did some last minute changes to the master. And really the bad quality of a rip doesn't really affects the low frequencies so much.

To me the bass frequencies just sounded more distorted on the radio track, giving it more presence though artificially, which can happen on a very low quality compressed mp3. I think the major difference was that the guitar was much more up front than in TGoM, but that could be a choice based on the fact that MOB is far more guitar driven, not an album-wide mix choice.
People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.
Or that’s what they’ll make you think.

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #6933 on: January 21, 2016, 08:18:47 AM »
I'm not sure I understand the concerns from those who 'haven't heard' the album.  There is a single release of the Gift of Music on Amazon which has been confirmed to be post-master.  Moment of Betrayal was only a radio broadcast and subsequent youtube quality, so I somewhat understand the concern there.  The mp3 of TGoM should be a barometer as to how you'll like the sound on the new album, not other people's reviews/comments.

Your logic is absolutely right. BUT: Judging from the MOB track, the sound is a little different from TGOM. The bass is higher and rounder. So I assume that *maybe* they did some last minute changes to the master. And really the bad quality of a rip doesn't really affects the low frequencies so much.

But it does affect the higher frequencies (such as the cymbals). That might have opened up some extra space for the bass to stand out, but I do admit I'm not an expert at that subject at all. Hope that's not the case though, I'd really like to hear a prominent bass sound in this album.

Offline YouMakeMeSick

« Reply #6934 on: January 21, 2016, 08:52:03 AM »
So from what I understood from the pre-orders, we are supposed to get the CD on (or around) release date, along with a FLAC download, right? Does anybody know if that code will be emailed or will it be included with the CD?
The owls are not what they seem...

Offline CoT67

« Reply #6935 on: January 21, 2016, 08:55:13 AM »
So from what I understood from the pre-orders, we are supposed to get the CD on (or around) release date, along with a FLAC download, right? Does anybody know if that code will be emailed or will it be included with the CD?

If you bought it on RR store, it should be a link to download via email, the same way the pre-order TGoM was delivered. Dunno about Auto-Rip/Amazon though.
People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.

Offline YouMakeMeSick

« Reply #6936 on: January 21, 2016, 08:57:24 AM »

If you bought it on RR store, it should be a link to download via email, the same way the pre-order TGoM was delivered. Dunno about Auto-Rip/Amazon though.

Thanks, I should have stated that I ordered from the RR store. I would love to have those FLAC files on release day (or before, I wouldn't mind  :metal)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 09:11:54 AM by YouMakeMeSick »

Offline shadow1psc

« Reply #6937 on: January 21, 2016, 09:13:15 AM »

Thanks, I should have stated that I ordered from the RR store. I would love to have those FLAC files on release day (or before, I wouldn't mind  :metal)

First thing I'm going to do when I get home next Friday will be to load up those FLAC files, and zone in to The Astonishing for 2 hours and 10 minutes   :D

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
« Reply #6938 on: January 21, 2016, 09:16:47 AM »
And another review:

https://www.metalwani.com/2016/01/review-dream-theater-the-astonishing.html

9.5 out of 10.

Some bits:

"...the real prize goes to James LaBrie. Portraying 8 characters is not an easy task, but he somehow manages it and without compromising on quality or emotion. [...]  ‘The Astonishing’ tells us a story about the importance of music through music and what better story tellers than Dream Theater. The band has given fans, old and new, an album which they will cherish for a long time. This is the kind of album that people will look back on with fond memories, I know I will."

Some parts are obviosuly wrong, after reading some posts in this forum:

"The sound is perfect right from the guitar squeals to the splashes."

He must have received a special copy, not the "drum machine recorded in a Tascan" that some people here are listening...

"Mike Mangini on the drums never misses a beat, his critics may well be silenced by his performance on this album."

Yeah, dream on...  ::)
"From the last ills no being can save another; therein each man must be his own saviour."
White-Jacket, Herman Melville

Offline shadow1psc

« Reply #6939 on: January 21, 2016, 09:19:17 AM »
As much as I'll admit DT12's drum production was a miss step, ADToE, the live albums and the two Astonishing songs I've heard so far I haven't had any problem with...

Offline YouMakeMeSick

« Reply #6940 on: January 21, 2016, 09:25:43 AM »

First thing I'm going to do when I get home next Friday will be to load up those FLAC files, and zone in to The Astonishing for 2 hours and 10 minutes   :D

Me too, I'm gonna load that sucker on my Astell & Kern player and blast the hell out of it. I hope I get it that day and if not, I'm gonna have to go to Best Buy and get it.

Offline thosava

« Reply #6941 on: January 21, 2016, 09:26:11 AM »
That review seemed to be too negative for a 9.5 score. He criticized the first act being too long, and the second act only had a few good songs?

Offline rab7

« Reply #6942 on: January 21, 2016, 09:29:46 AM »
That review seemed to be too negative for a 9.5 score. He criticized the first act being too long, and the second act only had a few good songs?

Too negative? He had 2 negative things to say about it in the entire article. Did you miss the part where he said he'll look back on it with fond memories?

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #6943 on: January 21, 2016, 09:30:10 AM »
I'm definitely taking a break between the two acts.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #6944 on: January 21, 2016, 09:33:39 AM »
How much staying power will the album have though? We may love it in the first few weeks, but how will the album sound six months or a year down the line? That's the real test of an album.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6945 on: January 21, 2016, 09:35:24 AM »
What's with flying robot spheres?

Offline thosava

« Reply #6946 on: January 21, 2016, 09:35:57 AM »

Too negative? He had 2 negative things to say about it in the entire article. Did you miss the part where he said he'll look back on it with fond memories?

Yeah that was my first thought reading it. 9.5 is almost a perfect album, and from what i read i wouldn't have guessed that score if it didn't say it in the beginning. (I'm not trying to criticize, that was just my first thought).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6947 on: January 21, 2016, 09:51:19 AM »

Welcome to several months ago.  FYI, your Delorian got a parking ticket because you forgot to feed the meter.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #6948 on: January 21, 2016, 10:39:01 AM »
Interesting how that review has Moment of Betreyal as the best song on the album. What do the people who have heard the album make of this?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6949 on: January 21, 2016, 10:48:22 AM »
It's a great song, so I can certainly see it.  Of the tracks I have heard, my favorite would either be Moment of Betrayal or Savior In the Square.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rab7

« Reply #6950 on: January 21, 2016, 10:48:55 AM »
Interesting how that review has Moment of Betreyal as the best song on the album. What do the people who have heard the album make of this?

He didn't say it was the best, he said it was his favorite.

Offline CoT67

« Reply #6951 on: January 21, 2016, 10:49:14 AM »
Hopefully there won't be any
I'm not too worried, the drums will be

Maybe you should see a doctor, I'm afraid your PMU Syndrome is getting worse every

It's spreading...

...ACCUSATIONS!

I'll just leave for now.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6952 on: January 21, 2016, 10:53:15 AM »

Welcome to several months ago.  FYI, your Delorian got a parking ticket because you forgot to feed the meter.

Cut him some slack. The door got stuck on the phone booth and the gas station attendant across the street had to pry it open.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline pdurbin22

« Reply #6953 on: January 21, 2016, 11:25:06 AM »
Like most average fans I've only heard "The Gift of Music" and "Moment of Betrayal," and the fact that there's still 120 minutes of music left to hear that could be this good or better has me very, very excited.

Regarding the whole drum production debate, I listened to "Along for the Ride" and "The Gift of Music" back-to-back this morning and I concluded there's a VAST improvement on the drum sound this time. I do like DT12 overall, but the snare sound (especially in the slower tracks where it has room to breathe) is definitely too lifeless for my liking. Not so with these new tracks. While the drum production is certainly less "organic" than when Portnoy was playing/producing, I really like what they've done this time around (and I'm a drummer).

Offline CoT67

« Reply #6954 on: January 21, 2016, 11:28:11 AM »
MOB has been posted on the official channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yhFSTAyHWs

Followed through a link from YtseItalia News.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #6955 on: January 21, 2016, 11:33:56 AM »
MOB has been posted on the official channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yhFSTAyHWs

Followed through a link from YtseItalia News.

Cool, it would've made sense to come out soon. I only just noticed that the two songs that have been released are the first real song of each act.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6956 on: January 21, 2016, 11:44:13 AM »
I still can't get enough of the first 25 seconds before the guitar kicks in. This is one of the most awesome DT-related music parts I've heard for ages.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6957 on: January 21, 2016, 11:50:42 AM »
Just listened to it again. I'm digging this song.

EDIT: Except the raise in pitch for the final chorus. No band or artist should ever do that. Ever.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #6958 on: January 21, 2016, 11:52:56 AM »
The passage starting 0:50, before the vocals begin, has such a swagger to it. DAT GUITAR!

Brilliant chorus, especially the harmonies.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #6959 on: January 21, 2016, 11:53:15 AM »
Official audio on YouTube sounds much better than the ET radio stream, obviously, I noticed a lot more going on in the mix hearing it on YT. Looking forward to getting the CD and being able to pick out more little details. I definitely like the song overall, its a cool, heavy rocker.

Oh - and the drum fill that starts around 5:20 is AWESOME!  :metal

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #6960 on: January 21, 2016, 11:53:36 AM »
Much better quality, much more details! Loving it...

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #6961 on: January 21, 2016, 11:53:59 AM »

EDIT: Except the raise in pitch for the final chorus. No band or artist should ever do that. Ever.

Don't say that! I love when a band/artist do that  :omg:

And I'm completely addicted to this song. Can't get it out of my head!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #6962 on: January 21, 2016, 11:58:13 AM »
Modulation is the essential part of the art. Without it there is little music, for a piece derives its true beauty not from the large number of fixed modes which it embraces but rather from the subtle fabric of its modulation.
— Charles-Henri Blainville (1767)

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #6963 on: January 21, 2016, 12:02:48 PM »

Whenever I hear a song do that, I think "Go go Power Rangers!".

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6964 on: January 21, 2016, 12:03:19 PM »
Modulation is the essential part of the art. Without it there is little music, for a piece derives its true beauty not from the large number of fixed modes which it embraces but rather from the subtle fabric of its modulation.
— Charles-Henri Blainville (1767)
^That.  And in recent "popular music" history, modulating a final chorus has been done FREQUENTLY for effect precisely because it works effectively.