Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200764 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with trailer!)
« Reply #6825 on: January 20, 2016, 05:01:57 AM »
From my one listen to Moment of Betrayal on youtube - it sounded like his usual distorted bass tone on any other album.

But you do hear a difference between, say, Octavarium (Medicate) and Surrender To Reason?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #6826 on: January 20, 2016, 05:14:04 AM »
I was just watching THIS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDTYWwqchhQ and it made me like Mangini a little more actually. He is playing with a lot of passion and a good sound (!!!!) and you will discover a lot of details in his playing. Why can't the drums on DT12 sound like this?

I'm shocked how good this sounds!  :omg: :tup His playing is not robotic AT ALL.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 05:26:36 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #6827 on: January 20, 2016, 06:11:27 AM »
I was just watching THIS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDTYWwqchhQ and it made me like Mangini a little more actually. He is playing with a lot of passion and a good sound (!!!!) and you will discover a lot of details in his playing. Why can't the drums on DT12 sound like this?

I'm shocked how good this sounds!  :omg: :tup His playing is not robotic AT ALL.

Indeed that sounds great!

I quite like Moment of Betrayal it has some epic moments. The strings at the beginning sound amazing! My only complaint is that the heavy guitar part after the piano/strings sounds so familiar to another song, but other than that it sound great.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #6828 on: January 20, 2016, 06:20:31 AM »

Makes me wonder what do RC and JP do for the whole month of mixing! Just search your drummer's name on google and you will know how he is supposed to sound.
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #6829 on: January 20, 2016, 06:47:55 AM »
I don't believe that the reason Manginis drums sound so .."strange" is because JP and RC don't know how to do it or because there is no drummer with them when they do the mix, but because they like it that way. Maybe they really want to take a step away from the "old" MP DT sound and create a new, unique one with/ for MM. JP must have been with MP countless times when they were producing and mixing his drums.

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6830 on: January 20, 2016, 07:03:01 AM »
I find it pretty interesting that the 2 tracks released were through Arhys, wonder what JL will sound like w other characters.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #6831 on: January 20, 2016, 07:04:04 AM »
I don't believe that the reason Manginis drums sound so .."strange" is because JP and RC don't know how to do it or because there is no drummer with them when they do the mix, but because they like it that way. Maybe they really want to take a step away from the "old" MP DT sound and create a new, unique one with/ for MM. JP must have been with MP countless times when they were producing and mixing his drums.

I think this is more likely than anything else.

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
« Reply #6832 on: January 20, 2016, 07:06:58 AM »
Two VERY positive reviews in German:

https://www.crossfire-metal.de/12360-0-DREAM-THEATER-THE-ASTONISHING.html

9 out of 10... praising Myung and Mangini, opposite from the French review...

https://www.metalglory.de/reviews.php?nr=27008

They say the album is PERFECT, an absolute masterpiece, 10 out of 10.

I canīt wait anymore...  :o :o :o :o :o :o
"From the last ills no being can save another; therein each man must be his own saviour."
White-Jacket, Herman Melville

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #6833 on: January 20, 2016, 07:11:39 AM »
Thankfully, just 9 more days  :D

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
« Reply #6834 on: January 20, 2016, 07:23:16 AM »

For most people... I will wait the Brazilian edition, that could take one day more to one month more to be released.

Even buying the american version I would need to wait at least a week to arrive...  :-\
"From the last ills no being can save another; therein each man must be his own saviour."
White-Jacket, Herman Melville

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6835 on: January 20, 2016, 07:24:43 AM »
Two VERY positive reviews in German:

https://www.crossfire-metal.de/12360-0-DREAM-THEATER-THE-ASTONISHING.html

9 out of 10... praising Myung and Mangini, opposite from the French review...

https://www.metalglory.de/reviews.php?nr=27008

They say the album is PERFECT, an absolute masterpiece, 10 out of 10.

Really nice reviews

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #6836 on: January 20, 2016, 07:27:16 AM »

For most people... I will wait the Brazilian edition, that could take one day more to one month more to be released.

Even buying the american version I would need to wait at least a week to arrive...  :-\

Well you'll be able to hear us all talking about it, that'll make the wait easier for you  :angel:

Offline shadow1psc

« Reply #6837 on: January 20, 2016, 08:00:29 AM »

As I mentioned before, it's not the player. And notice how he's playing on a MUCH more simple kit (compared to his normal rig). I think the easiest thing to take away from the comparison between the Zildjian performance and the album (and something that is quite apparent based on the snare alone) is that the kit is incredibly compressed in DT12's mix. More so than most metal drums. Maybe compressed to hell and back and then also gated a little too hard (which leads to the sterile, robotic sound).

Offline rab7

« Reply #6838 on: January 20, 2016, 08:20:33 AM »
From the first German review posted above:
"A New Beginning", the most ambitious piece with orgasm end.

;D

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #6839 on: January 20, 2016, 08:20:56 AM »

Not really. If you buy it on Amazon, they give you a digital download, don't they? Unless you really NEED to have the booklet with you.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6840 on: January 20, 2016, 08:22:15 AM »
Finally pre-ordered mine.  Signed up for Amazon prime too, which I had been considering, and now I will have it on release day.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6841 on: January 20, 2016, 08:44:27 AM »
I'm sure there are reasons, but since MM sounded so good on BTFW, I don't know why they don't just duplicate whatever was done for that recording when setting up album recording.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TL

« Reply #6842 on: January 20, 2016, 08:50:02 AM »
Man, 9 days to go, and Amazon Canada still doesn't have a listing, aside from one for the vinyl version, with incorrect information, for nearly $200, which doesn't ship until February 5th.
(Amazon Canada also has no digital music service of any kind, and Prime, while the same price as in the US, doesn't include any sort of video service).

I really miss having a bunch of music stores around.

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #6843 on: January 20, 2016, 08:50:55 AM »
I'm sure there are reasons, but since MM sounded so good on BTFW, I don't know why they don't just duplicate whatever was done for that recording when setting up album recording.

That's what I was saying. You just moderated it.  ;D
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6844 on: January 20, 2016, 08:52:09 AM »
Man, 9 days to go, and Amazon Canada still doesn't have a listing, aside from one for the vinyl version, with incorrect information, for nearly $200, which doesn't ship until February 5th.
(Amazon Canada also has no digital music service of any kind, and Prime, while the same price as in the US, doesn't include any sort of video service).

Can you just use the US version of Amazon?  I know I have used the Euro version to buy something for myself in the US, but I'm guessing it'll be an issue to get it on time.

Offline TL

« Reply #6845 on: January 20, 2016, 08:52:34 AM »

As I mentioned before, it's not the player. And notice how he's playing on a MUCH more simple kit (compared to his normal rig). I think the easiest thing to take away from the comparison between the Zildjian performance and the album (and something that is quite apparent based on the snare alone) is that the kit is incredibly compressed in DT12's mix. More so than most metal drums. Maybe compressed to hell and back and then also gated a little too hard (which leads to the sterile, robotic sound).
Yeah, Mike is a very energetic, creative drummer. It's a shame that it doesn't come across more on his DT albums so far.

Offline shadow1psc

« Reply #6846 on: January 20, 2016, 08:56:47 AM »

That right there is where you get in to the argument where people talk about whether its better to record and perfect in isolation and make a tailored record, or go back to the old ways and just record it live as its played and hope everyone gets it right.

Offline TL

« Reply #6847 on: January 20, 2016, 08:58:18 AM »

Can you just use the US version of Amazon?  I know I have used the Euro version to buy something for myself in the US, but I'm guessing it'll be an issue to get it on time.
It's definitely not ideal. The Canadian dollar is in the toilet right now, so the exchange is a real killer. Shipping is usually pretty expensive (no free shipping across the boarder), as well as several fees that they seem to tack on just for the heck of it (basically a 'hey, go back to Canadian Amazon so we can price gouge you' fee).

I'll probably just hit up the local music stores around here and hope.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #6848 on: January 20, 2016, 09:05:18 AM »
That MM video is incredible! A large part of the joy of this guy is watching him pound the hell out of that drumkit (with facial expressions to match). It may sound "robotic" and "lacking in emotion" based purely on audio recordings, but when you watch MM, that's where the emotion comes out, in his facial expressions.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6849 on: January 20, 2016, 09:12:36 AM »
That MM video is pretty good. Weird to hear Enemy Inside with a snare that actually sounds like a snare.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6850 on: January 20, 2016, 09:14:29 AM »

It's definitely not ideal. The Canadian dollar is in the toilet right now, so the exchange is a real killer. Shipping is usually pretty expensive (no free shipping across the boarder), as well as several fees that they seem to tack on just for the heck of it (basically a 'hey, go back to Canadian Amazon so we can price gouge you' fee).

Yea I hear ya, that sucks!  I would imagine the music store would carry this.  I was always able to find DT at my local Best Buy on release day, until they got rid of the CD section.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #6851 on: January 20, 2016, 09:52:06 AM »
From the first German review posted above:
"A New Beginning", the most ambitious piece with orgasm end.

;D

"Nevertheless, despite all about horny moments, "

I love those translations  :rollin

It's amazing how the translation prefers the horny translation of geil instead of cool ;p

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6852 on: January 20, 2016, 10:17:27 AM »
I really enjoyed the interview. Really informative and makes me really excited once the albums released, we'll get clickable songs that describe what's in that scene.

I like how JP described listening to it like watching a movie. Which makes sense, it's also cool how much we know already about characters and certain places. I'll be sitting with my eyes closed and imagining the movie taking place.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #6853 on: January 20, 2016, 11:33:07 AM »

Yea I hear ya, that sucks!  I would imagine the music store would carry this.  I was always able to find DT at my local Best Buy on release day, until they got rid of the CD section.

They got rid of ALL THE CD SECTION? The last time I was in the states was last July, the Best Buy stores still had CD sections. They were pretty small though. I could not get the new Symphony X. The guy over there looked it up for me, I think they had Underworld in about one or  two Best Buys in all Wisconsin. Wich is a shame.
In Germany you still have big stores similar to Best Buy (like Media Markt, Saturn, Medi Max etc.) where there is a decent CD section. I ordered The Astonishing LP set online and will buy the CD next friday at 9:30am in my local Saturn.
My favorite stores are still stores like The Great Escape, there you can still go in and spend hours looking for CDs and LPs.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6854 on: January 20, 2016, 11:39:51 AM »

They got rid of ALL THE CD SECTION? The last time I was in the states was last July, the Best Buy stores still had CD sections. They were pretty small though. I could not get the new Symphony X. The guy over there looked it up for me, I think they had Underworld in about one or  two Best Buys in all Wisconsin. Wich is a shame.
In Germany you still have big stores similar to Best Buy (like Media Markt, Saturn, Medi Max etc.) where there is a decent CD section. I ordered The Astonishing LP set online and will buy the CD next friday at 9:30am in my local Saturn.
My favorite stores are still stores like The Great Escape, there you can still go in and spend hours looking for CDs and LPs.

The one by me used to have about 5 rows of CDs.  I believe it is down to one row of just the hits (not even a complete row).  I was exaggerating, but its clear they are phasing the CD section out.  I wouldn't go there to shop for music just because there is little to no chance of it being there, although I would say there is a good chance DT would be there as they technically are a top 20 album seller, at least for the week of release.  I just use amazon now though and almost exclusively digital, except for my very favorite bands, like DT.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #6855 on: January 20, 2016, 01:21:33 PM »

Huh.  I got my Blur CD at my local BB last April, hope they haven't got rid of them!  I'll have to check before the release date.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline lightbug

« Reply #6856 on: January 20, 2016, 02:28:25 PM »
No updates today?  :-\

Offline Panar

• Caught In A Web
« Reply #6857 on: January 20, 2016, 02:32:50 PM »
At this point, my prediction is that we wont see any further updates until the release date.  :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Offline thosava

« Reply #6858 on: January 20, 2016, 02:34:39 PM »
I'm guessing we get an update on monday. Maybe an official video of Moment of Betrayal, the places section, or another trailer-type video.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6859 on: January 20, 2016, 02:36:55 PM »
I am predicting
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."