Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200950 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with trailer!)
« Reply #6370 on: January 17, 2016, 01:55:59 PM »
Oh I forgot, Pippo said that the whole Astonishing story is probably hidden in the lyrics of Illumination Theory. Could you confirm that?

The whole story is hidden in 2112 and the WeWill Rock You stage show.

Offline CoT67

« Reply #6371 on: January 17, 2016, 01:56:56 PM »
Was he sucking on his pipe? Did he have a distinguished accent?

As an Italian living in Tuscany, I am convinced that not one person from Tuscany has, had or will ever have a distinguished accent. Quite the opposite, actually.  :lol

PS. to all the toscani accidentally reading this post, I love you nevertheless  :-*

As a fellow tuscan, I think this bearded gentleman does have a bit of a distinguished accent... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDzu_YWcRdc  :biggrin:

...complete with an ending that I'm sure would have creeped out JP in an ancient, dark and moist cellar.
People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.
Or that’s what they’ll make you think.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6372 on: January 17, 2016, 02:12:20 PM »
Sciropparsi sounds like the fancier man's whahibrido.
Naw, Sciropparsi is like Magnum. Whahibrido is Blue Steel.

Sorry to spoil the fun by translating but the verb comes from the italian word for syrup, sciroppo. It means having to put up with something that bores you, like you would "syrup down" a movie you don't care for but your girlfriend wants you to see it.

Does the author mean that DT has no intention playing metal because of their fans? (boyfriend going to a film his girlfriend wants that?). Or does he mean he himself has to drag trough this album because he expected to do so?

My "watching a movie you don't like 'cause your girlfriend wants you to" was an example to explain what the italian expression "sciropparsi" meant.

The reviewer's opinion was that DT simply can't be bothered with metal anymore 'cause they're on their way to their '60s.

(And I don't really think that's the case, this time they simply wanted to do something different)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6373 on: January 17, 2016, 03:11:59 PM »
Sciropparsi sounds like the fancier man's whahibrido.
Naw, Sciropparsi is like Magnum. Whahibrido is Blue Steel.

Sorry to spoil the fun by translating but the verb comes from the italian word for syrup, sciroppo. It means having to put up with something that bores you, like you would "syrup down" a movie you don't care for but your girlfriend wants you to see it.

Does the author mean that DT has no intention playing metal because of their fans? (boyfriend going to a film his girlfriend wants that?). Or does he mean he himself has to drag trough this album because he expected to do so?

My "watching a movie you don't like 'cause your girlfriend wants you to" was an example to explain what the italian expression "sciropparsi" meant.

The reviewer's opinion was that DT simply can't be bothered with metal anymore 'cause they're on their way to their '60s.

(And I don't really think that's the case, this time they simply wanted to do something different)

Ah, thanks. And yeah, that is a pretty baseless assumption. Especially given their most recent metal output isn't even all that long ago and their last shows were predominantly heavier stuff. It is not like they went all Opeth at us (which I wouldn't mind as long as it is good music).

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #6374 on: January 17, 2016, 06:30:52 PM »
I'm fucking pumped for TA, but now we have to learn a ton of new song abbreviations  :( :-\
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #6375 on: January 18, 2016, 12:29:34 AM »
Here's another post relating about The Astonishing
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Slipknot

• Fuck it all, fuck this world!!!
  • I AM THE GREAT BIG MOUTH!!!
« Reply #6376 on: January 18, 2016, 12:51:51 AM »
When is John and John getting a haircut? Without a mask they look GAY!!  :mehlin
PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE FUCKING AIR AND JUMP DA FUCK UP MOTHERFUCKER!!

Offline The Astonished

« Reply #6377 on: January 18, 2016, 01:50:09 AM »
I'm fucking pumped for TA, but now we have to learn a ton of new song abbreviations  :( :-\

DotN
DO
TGoM
TA  :facepalm:
ABL
LN
ASinS
WYTHC
AoF
TD
THS
B, CYHM?
ALLB
R
C
ATO
DD
TXA
ANB
TRTR
2285E
MoB
HC
BA
TPTD
MC (Obviously feat. Eninem)  :lol
TWS
MLF (About Arabelle?  ;D)
LF
WotW
HoaTV
ONW
PD
A

Now remembering is the key!

Rise up, be counted, stand strong and unite!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6378 on: January 18, 2016, 02:05:35 AM »
Or we could all, you know, TYPE the damn words :P

What exactly do you all do in the time you save by typing only the initials, go on a holiday or something? isn't even the most important word of the title, like Ministry of Illumination, enough to save 1/10 of a second and get the point across? by the time you spell in your head the initials of the 7th song on the debut album, you alredy wrote the actual title.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #6379 on: January 18, 2016, 02:55:02 AM »
Yes, this is the first great outcome we'll get from this album. If they want to be understood, people will have no choice other than typing the words. This makes me even more hyped! :metal

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #6380 on: January 18, 2016, 03:18:50 AM »
When is John and John getting a haircut? Without a mask they look GAY!!  :mehlin
Well a haircut won't get them free masks.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #6381 on: January 18, 2016, 04:06:46 AM »
Yes, this is the first great outcome we'll get from this album. If they want to be understood, people will have no choice other than typing the words. This makes me even more hyped! :metal

You're hyped because we have to type out the full names of the songs? OK then.

Now that it's Monday of the week before release, The Astonishing feels significantly closer. Letting it sink in that the album is released NEXT FRIDAY!

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #6382 on: January 18, 2016, 04:14:53 AM »

Yes. The perspective of proper written language gets me hyped.

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #6383 on: January 18, 2016, 04:39:15 AM »

Yes. The perspective of proper written language gets me hyped.

Agreed. Proper language is a form of music in it self.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #6384 on: January 18, 2016, 04:41:46 AM »
https://www.metallus.it/speciali/dream-theater-the-astonishing-traccia-per-traccia/

Yet another track by track, this time it's not fanboy-ishly silly.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline erciccio

« Reply #6385 on: January 18, 2016, 05:32:27 AM »
https://www.metallus.it/speciali/dream-theater-the-astonishing-traccia-per-traccia/
Yet another track by track, this time it's not fanboy-ishly silly.
This is a good one!
Be careful, there is a relevant spoiler on the finale at the end of the review
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di piů

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #6386 on: January 18, 2016, 05:37:38 AM »
And yet anoter review praising James! I can't wait!

Offline James.v6

« Reply #6387 on: January 18, 2016, 05:38:11 AM »
JP and JR will be on Eddie Trunk’s show tonight for quite some time, maybe debuting an new track?

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional

Offline YtseJohn

• Whahibrido Pickingant goes to 11
« Reply #6389 on: January 18, 2016, 06:26:41 AM »
JP and JR will be on Eddie Trunk’s show tonight for quite some time, maybe debuting an new track?

Yup(I think he means Jan 18th 6-10pm ET):

Eddie Trunk @EddieTrunk
Even though most people are off tomorrow I'll be live 6-10P ET @SIRIUSXM 39 #TrunkNation . @JPetrucci & @Jcrudess @dreamtheaternet in studio

https://eddietrunk.com/115-glenn-hughes-podcast-poughkeepsie-appearance-dream-theater-more/

Offline Gappie

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6391 on: January 18, 2016, 06:48:34 AM »
Just puttin' this here: https://dreamtheater.club/blog/2016/01/11/dream-theater-the-astonishing/

Noxon,

Just curious, do you have a specific reason for docking the album one point? Or do you on principle not give 10/10 for anything?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #6392 on: January 18, 2016, 06:51:44 AM »
Just puttin' this here: https://dreamtheater.club/blog/2016/01/11/dream-theater-the-astonishing/

Noxon,

Just curious, do you have a specific reason for docking the album one point? Or do you on principle not give 10/10 for anything?

He criticised the drum sound.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #6393 on: January 18, 2016, 07:01:28 AM »

Thanks for the review Nox. I have a hard time believing anyone's going to write a better one! I'm super excited for the album now.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6394 on: January 18, 2016, 07:02:04 AM »

Noxon,

He criticised the drum sound.

And for this: "It’s not without its flaws (at 2 hours and 10 minutes, there’s bound to be some missteps on the way)".
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #6395 on: January 18, 2016, 07:04:29 AM »
Great review, Noxon! Really enjoyed reading it.  :tup

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #6396 on: January 18, 2016, 07:10:37 AM »
Great review. I'm so excited to hear this myself.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #6397 on: January 18, 2016, 07:17:37 AM »
Noxon's review mentioned fans of SFAM and SDOIT would probably like this album, those are two albums I love, so I'm pretty excited. Other thought after reading his review: he states there is a focus on piano and vocals throughout the record, to me that sounds like Octavarium, which once again, IMO is a good thing.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #6398 on: January 18, 2016, 07:32:10 AM »
I love that piano and vocals are the centerpiece. That sounds like an album for me  :tup

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6399 on: January 18, 2016, 07:48:10 AM »
Yeah, I should have mentioned that I also enjoyed the review...as always. Great work!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6400 on: January 18, 2016, 08:02:06 AM »
Excellent review noxon, you write better than many people who do this "professionally".

So basically after an entire carreer of going crazy in the studio with guitars, bass and drums and then suddenly remembering there's a canadian dude that has to be there somehow and therefore needs a vocal line and some lyrics, they wrote an entire album around the story making it entirely vocally driven?

As I already said, I have to lower my expectations 'cause I think I may have my next favorite record in 11 days!!!!

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #6401 on: January 18, 2016, 08:08:36 AM »
As we appear to have established that the only instrumentals are the NOMAC tracks and the two overtures, I'm curious as to what The X Aspect is. It sounds so abstract, it could be anything.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #6402 on: January 18, 2016, 08:16:36 AM »
Spoiler: Have you seen X somewhere else?

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6403 on: January 18, 2016, 08:22:46 AM »
Xander?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6404 on: January 18, 2016, 08:28:24 AM »
This, combined with your posting history to date, is good for a warning.  Clean it up.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.