Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200835 times)

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #5530 on: January 11, 2016, 11:14:44 AM »
So Ravenskill is called the way it is because their people literally have skills at riding giant ravens? Am I getting this right?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5531 on: January 11, 2016, 11:15:35 AM »
I'm just glad that I don't have to eat my man-meat! 

No!  Eat your meat until you're breathless!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #5532 on: January 11, 2016, 11:25:46 AM »
The one gripe I have with the trailer is that it entirely misrepresents what the album is going to sound like. I get that it's because the melodic ballady stuff isn't exciting - but if you go out expecting a Prog metal bombastic album (which this trailer implies), well, you WILL be disappointed.

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #5533 on: January 11, 2016, 11:25:49 AM »
The animations remind me a bit of the cartoons in the show Cosmos (the new one with Neil DeGrasse Tyson). One that show, the animations were sort of simple, but really stylish. To me, the DT video looks like it has a certain style to it, as apposed to appearing like they just didn't have the budget for CGI.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #5534 on: January 11, 2016, 11:26:58 AM »
The one gripe I have with the trailer is that it entirely misrepresents what the album is going to sound like. I get that it's because the melodic ballady stuff isn't exciting - but if you go out expecting a Prog metal bombastic album (which this trailer implies), well, you WILL be disappointed.
I'm glad you said that because after I watched the trailer, I thought: Sounds exactly like DT, nothing new here  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline rab7

« Reply #5535 on: January 11, 2016, 11:29:26 AM »

I'm actually glad they did this. I've been reading all your mentions of clean melodic music, and I'm really excited that when I hear it on the 29th, it'll be for the first time.

« Reply #5536 on: January 11, 2016, 11:30:39 AM »
You know, I often see the same argument about the general fantasy books with magic and dragons and whatever. I mean, if you dislike the setting, then fine, alright, maybe it's not for you, but in a lot of cases isn't not about the setting at all. It could be some fantasy medieval world, it could be a sci-fi dystopian world, it could be another planet and another race entirely, it could be a realistic setting in a World War II, it could be anything - the story isn't about the world. The setting, the world are just the instruments to fledge out the story. It could be a pickingant dramatic tale about the struggle of two opposite factions and how it affects people - something that often happens in the real world, hell, something that happens in some countries right now - despite the fact it's set in some future with the flying orbs that play weird noise music. You make it sound like "pure fantasy world fiction" can't be relevant to many many people around the world.

Of course, it could be a total cheese-fest, but I don't know how you can discard an important aspect of the album released by one of your favourite bands just after you found out about the setting. I'll avoid judging the story before I've heard the full story.

And yeah, SFAM is indeed a classic concept album for many of people here, but for me it's definitely not because "it dealt with a subject that was very real world". For what it's worth, all the SFAM very "real world" was just a setting too, and the story wasn't exactly about that.

FTFY

Offline metrojam

« Reply #5537 on: January 11, 2016, 11:32:06 AM »

:( Despite being extremely underwhelmed by the animations and storyline, I AM very excited and stoked for the music but that's a little disappointing to hear you say that, especially when you say it "ENTIRELY MISREPRESENTS" the album :(

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #5538 on: January 11, 2016, 11:32:59 AM »
I don't think I saw anyone mention that the "clock kid" is now revealed on the site as well. His name is Xander.

EDIT: Also, the map is complete.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5539 on: January 11, 2016, 11:34:10 AM »
Man, those Nomacs look super pissed.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5540 on: January 11, 2016, 11:35:09 AM »
Where is the Glock Guy though?

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #5541 on: January 11, 2016, 11:35:30 AM »
Places tab next week maybe? Or next video? :0

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5542 on: January 11, 2016, 11:36:01 AM »
I don't think I saw anyone mention that the "clock kid" is now revealed on the site as well. His name is Xander.

EDIT: Also, the map is complete.

And the video is updated with the trailer, so one video left, assumed (or known to be) a music video right?

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #5543 on: January 11, 2016, 11:36:20 AM »

:metal

The NOMACS look pretty cool throughout the entire video IMO.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #5544 on: January 11, 2016, 11:36:35 AM »
I'm thinking I hear some Machine Chatter in there  :hat

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #5545 on: January 11, 2016, 11:38:16 AM »
First off, I've noticed that after watching the trailer, some of you have said things to the effect of "the concept is gonna be bad". You can't honestly judge the story off of the animation style, no matter how wonky and clunky it looks. You just can't. I'm sure the story is gonna be sweet.

It looks to me like the only significance the clock has to the story is that Xander (and possibly his family) are living/hiding inside it for some reason. Anyone else kinda gather that from the trailer?
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #5546 on: January 11, 2016, 11:39:21 AM »
And the video is updated with the trailer, so one video left, assumed (or known to be) a music video right?

Inb4 they troll us and just stick the Gift of Music 'video' in that slot.  :P

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5547 on: January 11, 2016, 11:39:28 AM »
You know, I often see the same argument about the general fantasy books with magic and dragons and whatever. I mean, if you dislike the setting, then fine, alright, maybe it's not for you, but in a lot of cases isn't not about the setting at all. It could be some fantasy medieval world, it could be a sci-fi dystopian world, it could be another planet and another race entirely, it could be a realistic setting in a World War II, it could be anything - the story isn't about the world. The setting, the world are just the instruments to fledge out the story. It could be a pickingant dramatic tale about the struggle of two opposite factions and how it affects people - something that often happens in the real world, hell, something that happens in some countries right now - despite the fact it's set in some future with the flying orbs that play weird noise music. You make it sound like "pure fantasy world fiction" can't be relevant to many many people around the world.

Of course, it could be a total cheese-fest, but I don't know how you can discard an important aspect of the album released by one of your favourite bands just after you found out about the setting. I'll avoid judging the story before I've heard the full story.

And yeah, SFAM is indeed a classic concept album for many of people here, but for me it's definitely not because "it dealt with a subject that was very real world". For what it's worth, all the SFAM very "real world" was just a setting too, and the story wasn't exactly about that.

FTFY

Right. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #5548 on: January 11, 2016, 11:39:44 AM »
Looking forward to hearing more of the solo that begins around 1:02 . . . .

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5549 on: January 11, 2016, 11:40:12 AM »
Love the music and I like the premise. I kind of hate the word cheese actually, as people tend to use it as a dismissive term. Realistic/vague/depressing is not inherently better than fantastical stories or a more "in your face storytelling" in my opinion. Some of history's greatest pieces of art, be it musicals, rock operas, novels, or film, belong to the latter category.

That said, this is definitely over the top  :lol I think the narrator overdid it a bit. And what visually bugs me about this trailer is the faces of some of the characters, I feel they fall in the wrong region between (well) stylized and realistic, which gives a somewhat "creepy" look (enhanced by the simple animations). So yeah, I wished the artist went a tad more towards a (serious looking) graphic novel artstyle (more stylized) instead of aiming at a more realistic look. That said, the assets are not necessarily bad; 1.03 onwards looks visually ace I think. Partially because the characters are displayed as silhouettes or under darker lighting, making them feel less out of place. I really think these visuals will work well for the show though!

This is an example of good storytelling with simple animations and art: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8YUDfFtH2A (The Witcher III game intro)

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #5550 on: January 11, 2016, 11:40:24 AM »
Despite the crappy animations (didn't expect more tho) I am
quite stoked. This sounds huge
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #5551 on: January 11, 2016, 11:44:46 AM »
Yeah, I mean, the background art looks beautiful in my opinion.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5552 on: January 11, 2016, 11:45:15 AM »
Can't watch now.  Looking forward to seeing it later.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #5553 on: January 11, 2016, 11:47:24 AM »

I'm liking the sound of this.  When does the embargo lift so you can post your review Noxon? 18 days  :metal

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #5554 on: January 11, 2016, 11:52:37 AM »
First off, I've noticed that after watching the trailer, some of you have said things to the effect of "the concept is gonna be bad". You can't honestly judge the story off of the animation style, no matter how wonky and clunky it looks. You just can't. I'm sure the story is gonna be sweet.

Yeah, I don't really understand the thought process of that. The concept sounds pretty good to me from what I've gathered.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #5555 on: January 11, 2016, 11:54:53 AM »

I'm liking the sound of this.  When does the embargo lift so you can post your review Noxon? 18 days  :metal

I think it's gone since there's a review up already. He's just waiting for his website to be ready.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #5556 on: January 11, 2016, 11:58:39 AM »

:metal

The NOMACS look pretty cool throughout the entire video IMO.

They look like angry piranhas :metal
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline emtee

« Reply #5557 on: January 11, 2016, 12:00:04 PM »
As with all trailers of such short length it's impossible to form any opinion. It's just another step in the direction of finally hearing
the album. I will say it sounds pretty epic and cinematic and in that regard it feels like an extension of DT12.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #5558 on: January 11, 2016, 12:00:17 PM »
Waiting implies i'm sitting idly by ;) No, i'm frantically working to get it done asap. Hoping to have it done by friday... Just have 10 articles to write, a couple of biographies and then picking out a choice select amount of old school interviews and reviews...

SO that when the content is ready, the world will be launched...

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #5559 on: January 11, 2016, 12:03:19 PM »
Maybe I should have said that the review is waiting. My bad.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #5560 on: January 11, 2016, 12:07:56 PM »

Well now you've gone and made me sad.  :( I've never been a fan of DT's ballads apart from a few standout gems.

Offline TL

« Reply #5561 on: January 11, 2016, 12:13:04 PM »
Yeah... really not feeling this.

I'll still absolutely be listening to this album when it comes out, but I think I'm going to have to ignore all of the marketing stuff if I want to have any chance of enjoying it.
I'm all for cheese in music; cheese can be a lot of fun. This is a whole other level though. Like, this is just my opinion, but I've found everything they've shown so far to be actively off-putting.

The bits of music we've heard have been promising, so I'm still cautiously optimistic about the album, but yeah, everything else about this whole thing is very much not for me.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #5562 on: January 11, 2016, 12:15:19 PM »

:( Despite being extremely underwhelmed by the animations and storyline, I AM very excited and stoked for the music but that's a little disappointing to hear you say that, especially when you say it "ENTIRELY MISREPRESENTS" the album :(

Which is EXACTLY why I'm making that statement! I mean, obviously these parts exist, but the trailer makes it seem like this is what the album sounds like. Its absolutely not. There's a lack of dynamics - theres no piano and orchestra solo parts, theres no violin or flute or bagpipe, no acousttic guitars - and yet, everyone ive spoken to have pointed out just how much of THAT there is on the album. How little of the metal side we see.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #5563 on: January 11, 2016, 12:21:07 PM »

Yep, wise words - I've been listening to the album since mid-December and I was thinking the same thing when I saw the trailer.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #5564 on: January 11, 2016, 12:25:15 PM »

Which is EXACTLY why I'm making that statement! I mean, obviously these parts exist, but the trailer makes it seem like this is what the album sounds like. Its absolutely not. There's a lack of dynamics - theres no piano and orchestra solo parts, theres no violin or flute or bagpipe, no acousttic guitars - and yet, everyone ive spoken to have pointed out just how much of THAT there is on the album. How little of the metal side we see.

I totally get what you mean. The trailer sounds exactly like "normal" DT and doesn't give us the variety some of you have spoken about. I'm really really pumped for this album. I mean tango, bagpipes, flute, whole orchestra, choir? WTF?!? Bring it on, baby!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael