Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200747 times)

Offline Paintbox

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing
« Reply #1925 on: November 28, 2015, 05:26:50 AM »
If you expect epics going in to this album, you WILL be disappointed.

Unless you count the whole concept as one big Epic...
Then I'm a bit disappointed, I'd love to hear a new epic track because listening to one single track, even if 15-20 min long, will happen more often than listening to the whole 3h long album.
At least, if the tracks are short, I hope some of them will be connected (and not isolated like for example SDOIT)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1926 on: November 28, 2015, 05:44:18 AM »
Most rock operas have all the songs directly segue into the next one, so they flow as one continuous piece of music. For example, the only pause (and a very minimal one at that) on SFAM is between Through Her Eyes and Home, where Act 1 becomes Act 2. So a shorter interlude, when viewed from this context, would be like an instrumental break on a longer song. How hard is it to view the whole as one piece?

At least, if the tracks are short, I hope some of them will be connected (and not isolated like for example SDOIT)

Umm...all the 'tracks' on SDOIT are connected, even on Disc 1.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1927 on: November 28, 2015, 06:12:07 AM »
I like too the unpredictability of the songs length, I think we'll see a mix of everything: Nomacs songs will be the shortest ones, there may be one or two intros like Through My Words, some more concise songs that serve as chapters of a bigger storyline like One Last Time, and "normal" songs with the occasional longer one. I predict too the title track will be the longest. But noxon said... all bets are off, and I like it!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #1928 on: November 28, 2015, 06:34:41 AM »
I like too the unpredictability of the songs length, I think we'll see a mix of everything: Nomacs songs will be the shortest ones, there may be one or two intros like Through My Words, some more concise songs that serve as chapters of a bigger storyline like One Last Time, and "normal" songs with the occasional longer one. I predict too the title track will be the longest. But noxon said... all bets are off, and I like it!

This is what I'm leaning towards also. I don't necessarily think it will be a bunch of shorter songs, I just think there will be a pretty diverse range of track lengths. And while more concise tracks may allow for some lengthier tracks between the 6 and 10 minute mark (which is the range I really enjoy anyway), I don't necessarily feel there will be multiple, big epics. I'd say the title track may be the closest we'll get to that, but a with a concept of this scale, the whole darn thing is an epic. It's all guesswork at this stage of the game, and I'm actually really excited and really like where it all seems to be headed. :tup

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #1929 on: November 28, 2015, 07:18:32 AM »

Who need epics when you have concept? A concept album is the mother of all epics.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1930 on: November 28, 2015, 08:23:54 AM »
Maybe they'll pull a Pain of Salvation and premier their new concept album live before releasing the CD.

That would be a great idea.  Even better would be a live stream of the show.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1931 on: November 28, 2015, 09:00:27 AM »
curious if they put out some kind of movie-like trailer soon.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #1932 on: November 28, 2015, 10:03:58 AM »
People disappointed about the potential lack of an epic (or takes issue with overall shorter "songs") need to go listen to Tommy, then report back.  Seriously.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 10:43:52 AM by millahh »
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1933 on: November 28, 2015, 10:36:18 AM »
I'm expecting a lot of 3-6 minute songs with quite a few interludes. However, I'm HOPING for a couple 8-10 minute songs, as well a 15+ minute epic at the end.

Offline liran95

« Reply #1934 on: November 28, 2015, 10:45:54 AM »
curious if they put out some kind of movie-like trailer soon.

I'm curious about that one too. But I'm not sure I'll be watching it.
Since this album's gonna be a huge epic concept album, I promised myself I won't be listening to ANY bit of new music before I could listen to the whole piece.

Guess I'll have to wait and see if the 2 videos consist of new material, and if so, sucks to be me  :biggrin:

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1935 on: November 28, 2015, 10:52:14 AM »
People disappointed about the potential lack of an epic (or overall shorter "songs") need to go listen to Tommy, then report back.  Seriously.

I think Tommy is alright, but Quadrophenia crushes it. I think Tommy suffers from the annoying filler on the second half such as 'Fiddle About' and 'Tommy's Holiday Camp' while Quadrophenia never lost its focus like that. I don't mind transition songs as I like Pink Floyd's The Wall, as the quality of the music is never actually compromised (maybe despite ideas not being fully developed). I would like it to be modeled after Quadrophenia and The Wall on the Rock / Prog Rock side and Nightfall in Middle Earth (Blind Guardian) and The Human Equation (Ayreon) on the Metal / Prog Metal side.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #1936 on: November 28, 2015, 10:59:53 AM »
The "main story" is most likely to end with Our New World/Power Down, and Astonishing is some kind of an epilogue.

Still, I hope it's long and features no plot twists.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1937 on: November 28, 2015, 11:03:50 AM »
People disappointed about the potential lack of an epic (or overall shorter "songs") need to go listen to Tommy, then report back.  Seriously.

I think Tommy is alright, but Quadrophenia crushes it. I think Tommy suffers from the annoying filler on the second half such as 'Fiddle About' and 'Tommy's Holiday Camp' while Quadrophenia never lost its focus like that. I don't mind transition songs as I like Pink Floyd's The Wall, as the quality of the music is never actually compromised (maybe despite ideas not being fully developed). I would like it to be modeled after Quadrophenia and The Wall on the Rock / Prog Rock side and Nightfall in Middle Earth (Blind Guardian) and The Human Equation (Ayreon) on the Metal / Prog Metal side.

millahh, you should have known you would get a response like this. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #1938 on: November 28, 2015, 12:24:19 PM »
Leading the empire, brutal and heartless
Vanishing further into the darkness
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1939 on: November 28, 2015, 12:28:15 PM »
The "main story" is most likely to end with Our New World/Power Down, and Astonishing is some kind of an epilogue.

Still, I hope it's long and features no plot twists.

SFAM had a plot twist because it was a murder / mystery story, this looks like the classic rebellion against tyranny thing and it hardly fits a plot twist. Maybe a good guy being really evil but nothing mindblowing like SFAM.

Anyway, when the album is out, I think we should have a thread dedicated entirely to the storyline of the album, to help each other comprehend the whole story behind the record  :hat
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Nomaniac

• Long Live Dream Theater!!!
  • Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #1940 on: November 28, 2015, 12:31:38 PM »
Personally I would like a few songs that are 8-10 minutes just to listen to by themselves when I'm not in the mood to sit down and listen to a full album, but I don't think this needs a super long epic. If it does have one that's great, if not I won't be bothered. Like this guy said:

Who need epics when you have concept? A concept album is the mother of all epics.

No offense meant to anyone though, we can disagree and still be civilized :lol ;D
"Through Nature's Inflexible Grace, I'm Learning To Live"

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #1941 on: November 28, 2015, 12:34:26 PM »
Leading the empire, brutal and heartless
Vanishing further into the darkness

The Astonishing = Lost Not Forgotten Pt. 2 CONFIRMED!!!  :lol :rollin

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #1942 on: November 28, 2015, 12:38:09 PM »
The only thing I'm hoping for is that they don't follow their idea from the last album (challenge themselves to make short songs)
There are great parts on the last album (i.e. surrender to reason riff, ) which appear only once and are not developed further
If that's not the case, I know I won't be disappointed
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #1943 on: November 28, 2015, 12:40:06 PM »
The Astonishing is clearly ADTOE sequel.

Americans are mentiones in OTBOA
This is the life, a better life, get it?

Lost not Forgotten is the tale of Nafaryus told by himself in his mind.
Outcry is the theme of the rebels.

It's very clear.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1944 on: November 28, 2015, 12:41:15 PM »
I'm not one to be 'disappointed' at this juncture about what the album may or may not include. As long as it features the five guys from Dream Theater and they write the music like they want, then I'm cool with whatever they want to put out with the release.

This concept, in particular, is great for us. A rock opera which is likely a double album. That's a lot of music.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1945 on: November 28, 2015, 12:42:48 PM »
Well SFAM had Home and Finally Free, which even though they're not exactly epics, they're still above 10 minutes

You forgot the best of the three 10 minute songs of that album..

Personally I would like a few songs that are 8-10 minutes just to listen to by themselves when I'm not in the mood to sit down and listen to a full album, but I don't think this needs a super long epic.

At least my point was not to say that we need one, but that there's room for it..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #1946 on: November 28, 2015, 12:43:19 PM »

It's very clear.

You know it actually doesn't sound that crazy when you put it that way . . . interested to see if there are more connections revealed  :corn

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1947 on: November 28, 2015, 12:45:12 PM »
I'm not one to be 'disappointed' at this juncture about what the album may or may not include. As long as it features the five guys from Dream Theater and they write the music like they want, then I'm cool with whatever they want to put out with the release.

This concept, in particular, is great for us. A rock opera which is likely a double album. That's a lot of music.

All this exactly..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #1948 on: November 28, 2015, 12:46:31 PM »

Great comment. Seriously! :tup

At least my point was not to say that we need one, but that there's room for it..

Yep and I'd definitely be thrilled if there was epics on the album - like I said really like your layout!  :)

Not trying to target anyone individually (don't get me wrong), just sharing my opinion  ;D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1949 on: November 28, 2015, 12:48:56 PM »

It's very clear.

You know it actually doesn't sound that crazy when you put it that way . . . interested to see if there are more connections revealed  :corn

An Astonishing Turn of Events :neverusethis:

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #1950 on: November 28, 2015, 12:51:13 PM »

millahh, you should have known you would get a response like this. :lol

Yeah :)  I'm not thinking that Tommy is the be-all-end-all, just trying to counter the people, who are pre-emptively slagging the album at the prospect of no traditional epics, all the while having no idea what a rock opera even is.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #1951 on: November 28, 2015, 12:59:49 PM »

It's very clear.

An Astonishing Turn of Events :neverusethis:

:lol

It might be purely coincidental these connections, but hey whatever, I'm still keeping an open mind ;)

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1952 on: November 28, 2015, 01:01:10 PM »
Yeah :)  I'm not thinking that Tommy is the be-all-end-all, just trying to counter the people, who are pre-emptively slagging the album at the prospect of no traditional epics, all the while having no idea what a rock opera even is.

Ah, sorry for missing your point there. I do think the album is a good example of a Rock Opera, even if I don't think it retains quality all the way through. On the subject of not having an epic, isn't 'Underture' an epic? A ten minute piece (which is certainly long for The Who) with changing moods and an atypical structure sounds quite a lot like an epic to me.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1953 on: November 28, 2015, 01:17:29 PM »
An The Astonishing Turn of Events :neverusethis:

FTFY ;)
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #1954 on: November 28, 2015, 01:23:42 PM »
Im really curious how they would handle so many characters. Will James sing all of them? I know he did that in SFAM, and I never had a problem with, but I think a fresh voice here and there will be pretty cool.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1955 on: November 28, 2015, 01:24:54 PM »

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #1956 on: November 28, 2015, 01:28:06 PM »
Im really curious how they would handle so many characters. Will James sing all of them? I know he did that in SFAM, and I never had a problem with, but I think a fresh voice here and there will be pretty cool.

There's been some speculation . . . most not really that serious :lol . . . that there'll be some guests on the album. Maybe it's all just joke and no reality, but it might be interesting if they have that in mind . . .

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #1957 on: November 28, 2015, 02:00:41 PM »
Remember, this is very different from anything DT has ever done. All bets are off.

I think the longest track you'll see on the disc is right around the 10 minute mark, and it's at the end of Act 2. The rest will be 3-6 minutes long, aside from the NOMACS tracks which will be half a minute to two minutes long. Some of the tracks will be kinda like through my words/fatal tragedy, but the vast majority of the tracks will be averaging 4 minutes. What we will see is a lot of repeating themes. Remember, this is a rock opera! It doesn't need a lot of long songs, because the short songs is a part of the whole.

Is this hard facts, or speculation?
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1958 on: November 28, 2015, 02:08:53 PM »
FACTULATIONS

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1959 on: November 28, 2015, 03:13:15 PM »
I can't wait til the band starts shedding some light on the story/world they've created via press interviews and the locked videos on the website. It'll be interesting to find out exactly what this album is about.