Author Topic: Official NHL 2015-2016 Thread  (Read 92648 times)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: Official NHL 2015-2016 Thread
« Reply #1365 on: June 30, 2016, 07:29:15 AM »
After the Therrien comment a while back that's become a recent topic (saying he'll never win a cup with Subban), it really seems that Bergevin values his friendship more than the team. Hurts as someone who has always thought he was a solid GM. That is assuming the comment is true and not a media member stirring up rumours. Although I wouldn't put it past Therrien. :P

Usually the day after a controversial trade I'm able to rationalize it and see the positives. I've yet to find them still. :P

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1366 on: June 30, 2016, 07:32:45 AM »
After the Therrien comment a while back that's become a recent topic (saying he'll never win a cup with Subban), it really seems that Bergevin values his friendship more than the team. Hurts as someone who has always thought he was a solid GM.

Usually the day after a controversial trade I'm able to rationalize it and see the positives. I've yet to find them still. :P

I've always had mixed feelings on Therrien... When he was with the Pens, I liked the majority of the stuff he did, except he is now famous in Pittsburgh hockey history for simply throwing his players under the bus. I have no problem with a tough coach who holds his room accountable for their actions, but I do have a problem with the way he did that publicly to the players when he was here. Seems like that trend has continued...

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1367 on: June 30, 2016, 07:36:18 AM »
Yeah I don't think Therrien is completely without his upsides. There are certain things he does well. His problem is his overvaluing of grit and physicality, and trying to gear a team that wasn't built for that style towards that. He benched Subban undeservedly several times as well, so it's apparent that Subban is not the kind of player that Therrien likes. Maybe on a different team Therrien could do well, but on teams like Pittsburgh and Montreal he will only hold them back. Not a coincidence the Pens won a cup as soon as he was let go. ;)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1368 on: June 30, 2016, 07:55:34 AM »
Yeah I don't think Therrien is completely without his upsides. There are certain things he does well. His problem is his overvaluing of grit and physicality, and trying to gear a team that wasn't built for that style towards that. He benched Subban undeservedly several times as well, so it's apparent that Subban is not the kind of player that Therrien likes. Maybe on a different team Therrien could do well, but on teams like Pittsburgh and Montreal he will only hold them back. Not a coincidence the Pens won a cup as soon as he was let go. ;)

Totally agree, I mean he lead the Pens to the final in 08 before he was canned in 09, and did a lot of things well as a coach. To be frank, the room quit on him in 09. He publicly criticized them and the team wasn't doing well that year before the coaching change, it all equaled a fair exit for sure.

This was from a couple years before that, but its fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agL3NHgb8Rk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1369 on: June 30, 2016, 07:57:56 AM »
I still remember that like it was yesterday. :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1370 on: June 30, 2016, 08:03:10 AM »
 :lol

Good stuff!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1371 on: June 30, 2016, 08:04:34 AM »
WOW!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1372 on: June 30, 2016, 11:05:15 AM »
I hate to spam, but wow what a telling article. The old-time hockey mentality needs to go.

Anyways, since I should probably stop the self-pity for a bit, the Hawks re-signed Roszival for some reason. :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1373 on: June 30, 2016, 11:19:15 AM »
I hate to spam, but wow what a telling article. The old-time hockey mentality needs to go.

Anyways, since I should probably stop the self-pity for a bit, the Hawks re-signed Roszival for some reason. :lol

Definitely not spamming this is good stuff, certainly very interesting off season thus far. I know Canada as a whole seem to be stuck in the "old-time hockey mentality" but at what point does moving on from an old, out-dated model become obvious enough that they actually act on it.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1374 on: June 30, 2016, 12:06:05 PM »

Yeah seriously, he sucks. Why they did that, I have no idea.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1375 on: July 01, 2016, 04:31:29 AM »

Yeah seriously, he sucks. Why they did that, I have no idea.

Well whatever they're doing, they have three cups in six years to show for it. It's an impressive feat and the closest thing we have to a dynasty in the NHL since the Islanders and Oilers in the 80's.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1376 on: July 01, 2016, 07:34:34 AM »
Well whatever they're doing, they have three cups in six years to show for it. It's an impressive feat and the closest thing we have to a dynasty in the NHL since the Islanders and Oilers in the 80's.

Truth. It's not a move I would have made, but who can fault the modern-day Hawks? Such a dominant franchise as of late.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1377 on: July 01, 2016, 08:33:22 AM »
They did well, but that doesn't mean everything they do should be absolved of scrutiny.

Also, HAHAHAHA DID THE HABS ACTUALLY JUST SIGN RADULOV WHAT ON EARTH WHY

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1378 on: July 01, 2016, 08:37:15 AM »
They did well, but that doesn't mean everything they do should be absolved of scrutiny.

Absolutely, no team should be absolved of scrutiny, I just hesitate to scrutinize teams that have been so successful recently, I tend to give teams like that the benefit of the doubt.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1379 on: July 01, 2016, 09:16:32 AM »

Absolutely, no team should be absolved of scrutiny, I just hesitate to scrutinize teams that have been so successful recently, I tend to give teams like that the benefit of the doubt.
I guess, Roszival is just kind of a thorn in their side at this point. He's awful now.

Anyways, yeah looks like it's true. Bergevin, the man obsessed with character, just signed the craziest motherfucker in hockey. I'm excited because Radulov is an amazing player, but this is just hilarious. I hope his craziness doesn't manifest itself TOO severely.

EDIT: Montreal PR not confirming, but Yost has said so and LeBrun has acknowledged it, so if it ain't true I'll be surprised.

EDIT 2: PRICE'S KNEE IS AT 100%! HE HAS RISEN! BEWARE NHL!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 09:58:36 AM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1380 on: July 01, 2016, 10:29:45 AM »
David Backes is a Bruin!!!!!!!!!!
 :metal :metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1381 on: July 01, 2016, 11:54:31 AM »
Okay so we got Radulov. Only a one year deal. I'm psyched. Super psyched. If it plays out to his potential we've a great UFA who will drastically help our scoring. If he doesn't it's only 1 year.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1382 on: July 01, 2016, 11:58:16 AM »
I was hoping Subban would get traded to the Bruins so Boston fans would be forced to cheer for him. :lol :lol

Honestly, everyone I know LOVES Subban, as do I.

If I were the B's I'd try to trade Chara and Krecji to Nashville for Subban. And I'd do it in a heartbeat. (I'm under no assumption that this would ever happen.)

And Backes has been on my radar for YEARS! I'm so excited!
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1383 on: July 01, 2016, 11:58:43 AM »
That's exactly what every Habs fan said about Semin. MontreaLOL.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1384 on: July 01, 2016, 12:11:05 PM »

Truth. It's not a move I would have made, but who can fault the modern-day Hawks? Such a dominant franchise as of late.

Proud to be a fan 😀

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1385 on: July 01, 2016, 12:17:26 PM »
That's exactly what every Habs fan said about Semin. MontreaLOL.
You're right, if one risk does not work out that means no risk will ever work out. In fact, no one should ever sign free agents ever.

Yeah we said that about Semin, and we were right. He didn't work out, and that was that. Didn't cause much harm. You're acting like Semin left the team in shambles or something. Not only are they completely different players, but if Radulov doesn't work out I don't really care anyway. It's a one-year deal. We're in desperate need of a top 6 forward. If it doesn't work out, he'll be benched and that will be that. If it does, we'll have that forward. Radulov has a lot more potential than Semin. It's not rocket science.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 12:42:29 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1386 on: July 01, 2016, 12:36:43 PM »

Hate to see him go but it was pretty clear we weren't resigning him.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1387 on: July 01, 2016, 12:39:52 PM »
Backes is one of my favourite non-Habs. Probably top 5. Sucks to have to cheer against him. ;)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1388 on: July 01, 2016, 12:47:16 PM »
Backes is one of my favourite non-Habs. Probably top 5. Sucks to have to cheer against him. ;)

This makes me so happy to read. :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1389 on: July 01, 2016, 02:09:05 PM »
Backes is one of my favourite non-Habs. Probably top 5. 

He was probably one of my To 5 non-Bruins. I am very happy with this. I hope he still has a few good years in him. He seemed kind of worn down in the Conference Finals.

Kev/Gary..any insight? I know the Blues have looked at changing chemistry the last few years.

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #1390 on: July 01, 2016, 02:22:42 PM »
I love Backes, but he has slowed down a tick the last couple years.  He was never a big scorer but had a couple 30 goal seasons IIRC.  He'll probably be a 15, maybe 20 goal guy from here on out.  He also has a tendency to lose his temper and take bad penalties, and also just take a few too many penalties in general, particularly for a captain.
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1391 on: July 01, 2016, 02:26:23 PM »
So basically from a Bruins perspective, it's like trading Loui Eriksson for David Backes. I'd do that all day long. The Bruins were way too soft last year.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1392 on: July 01, 2016, 02:28:44 PM »
He lead the Blues in hits last year as well.  He's not afraid to grind. The B's needed to be tougher, this helps.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1393 on: July 01, 2016, 02:32:03 PM »
....and he saves PUPPIES!!! ;D

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1394 on: July 01, 2016, 02:58:32 PM »
Backes is one of my favourite non-Habs. Probably top 5. 

He was probably one of my To 5 non-Bruins. I am very happy with this. I hope he still has a few good years in him. He seemed kind of worn down in the Conference Finals.

Kev/Gary..any insight? I know the Blues have looked at changing chemistry the last few years.

They are going young. Gonna sign Schwartz long term, Paryako is gonna cost them, we've got Fabbri and Rattie that are young. Backes is a great player but he's also played a lot of tough years. Tough to know how much he's got let in the tank for the contract he wanted. Boston got a heck of a player and an awesome person.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1395 on: July 01, 2016, 03:06:36 PM »
As you guys know, I've been a huge fan of his. His peak years are likely behind him, but hopefully a few good years are left.

Sounds like Armstrong held a hard line.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/david-backes-with-emotional-frustrating-farewell-to-st-louis-blues-202319140.html

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1396 on: July 01, 2016, 03:23:49 PM »
I really hope Radulov is a changed man like he and most others say, and like Shea Weber thinks. Especially because he now has a son which he claims was sobering. He could actually end up making us better than we were.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1397 on: July 01, 2016, 03:37:11 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1398 on: July 01, 2016, 03:56:47 PM »
It sounds like he almost signed with Montreal.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1399 on: July 01, 2016, 03:57:01 PM »
As you guys know, I've been a huge fan of his. His peak years are likely behind him, but hopefully a few good years are left.

Sounds like Armstrong held a hard line.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/david-backes-with-emotional-frustrating-farewell-to-st-louis-blues-202319140.html

Armstrong has maintained that all along...and I agree with him. It'd be easy to get 'emotional' over Backes and offer him beyond what he's probably going to be worth. I think he's most likely got two years left at his 'normal' play....another year (or two) at a 75-80% of what he is now and then not much after that.

The Blues have a ton of young talent. The only thing we lose IMO is the leadership quality that Backes has....but we have guys that can fill that void. I'm mega bummed that he's no longer a Blue but I'm glad that Armstrong didn't handcuff the Blues financially to keep an aging player here considering what we have coming down the pipeline. I think it's a win win win....for the Blues... the Bruins and Backes.