Author Topic: Companies you are surprised still exist  (Read 17041 times)

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
Re: Companies you are surprised still exist
« Reply #175 on: April 19, 2015, 11:00:55 AM »
I came across a Valvoline yesterday in LA. I thought they had been absorbed or changed names, I hadn't seen one in over ten years.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #176 on: April 19, 2015, 11:50:54 AM »
I came across a Valvoline yesterday in LA. I thought they had been absorbed or changed names, I hadn't seen one in over ten years.

The more important question is, what the fuck are you doing in LA? Better be for money or pussy man....

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #177 on: April 19, 2015, 11:51:19 AM »
So are you surprised the company exists or just the buildings? I say this because their automotive products have always been sold at all major places as far back as I can remember.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #178 on: April 19, 2015, 11:55:57 AM »

The more important question is, what the fuck are you doing in LA? Better be for money or pussy man....

What's wrong with LA?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #179 on: April 19, 2015, 01:04:50 PM »
Valvoline is big in the northeast.  They charge double for an oil change and I would never go to them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #180 on: April 19, 2015, 03:13:55 PM »

What's wrong with LA?

*smacks*

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #181 on: April 19, 2015, 05:53:53 PM »
Polaroid. What do they even sell at this point?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #182 on: April 20, 2015, 08:17:21 AM »

competing with gopro, apparently.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #183 on: April 20, 2015, 08:27:19 AM »
I think Polaroid even sell tablets these days, so I think they're just throwing everything at the wall at this point and seeing if anything sticks.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #184 on: April 20, 2015, 06:51:44 PM »
I sold a Polaroid camera today.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: May 04, 2015, 09:21:04 PM »
Any FM Channel. Or, FM in general. Or do people still listen to FM?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #186 on: May 04, 2015, 09:35:29 PM »

I'm convinced that radio and newspapers are only in business at this point because of people over 50. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #187 on: May 04, 2015, 10:23:34 PM »
Yes.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #188 on: May 04, 2015, 11:43:38 PM »

I'm convinced that radio and newspapers are only in business at this point because of people over 50. :lol

Commuters. Don't forget commuters.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #189 on: May 05, 2015, 01:42:56 AM »
I guess this is the exact opposite of the OPs post, but does anyone know why Johnny Carino's closed down everywhere? For anyone who is not familiar with that restaurant, it'sa  much better version of Olive Garden IMO
They all shutdown in NJ back in 2009 for whatever reason
Man I loved their food

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #190 on: May 05, 2015, 05:50:13 AM »
Yes.

All the time. I listen to AM as well.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #191 on: May 05, 2015, 05:52:29 AM »

Most of the commuters I see reading a physical newspaper are in the older crowd. The younger crowd reads them on their iPads, Kindles, etc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: May 05, 2015, 05:56:20 AM »

Most of the commuters I see reading a physical newspaper are in the older crowd. The younger crowd reads them on their iPads, Kindles, etc.

Commuters love the radio too, I listen to FM on my ride to work in the morning for sports radio.  Granted I could stream it through my phone so yea FM isn't totally needed.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #193 on: May 05, 2015, 05:58:22 AM »

Commuters love the radio too, I listen to FM on my ride to work in the morning for sports radio.  Granted I could stream it through my phone so yea FM isn't totally needed.

I listen to CDs in the car.  If I take public transportation, I have a book.  The only FM station that I ever listen to is 104.3.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: May 05, 2015, 06:24:16 AM »
Yea 104.3 is the only decent radio station in the area IMO but sports radio is the only reason I use the FM tuner.  Otherwise its music through my phone via AUX to the car. I'm not really a music radio person because I like to choose what I want to listen to.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #195 on: May 05, 2015, 07:15:35 AM »
Yes.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: May 05, 2015, 07:19:38 AM »
Sports talk I do and once in a while, I'll check out an independent radio station here in Boston but not much really.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #197 on: May 05, 2015, 08:49:22 AM »
Edit: Another fun little detail; Employees at stores that are being converted into Best Buys will have to re-apply for their own jobs. At the same locations. Even though they technically already worked for Best Buy.
They technically worked for Futureshop, which operated itself under Best Buy. They acted like competitors where I lived in Canada. If most of the re-applicants are landing the jobs I just don't see the problem, could just be a paperwork thing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #198 on: May 05, 2015, 10:30:48 AM »
Edit: Another fun little detail; Employees at stores that are being converted into Best Buys will have to re-apply for their own jobs. At the same locations. Even though they technically already worked for Best Buy.
They technically worked for Futureshop, which operated itself under Best Buy. They acted like competitors where I lived in Canada. If most of the re-applicants are landing the jobs I just don't see the problem, could just be a paperwork thing.

Why is that a bad thing?  If you're good at your job (I mean truly good, not "I'm great at my job, but management is fucked and they don't see it" good) then it shouldn't be an issue. 

Calvin6s

« Reply #199 on: May 05, 2015, 02:06:50 PM »

That's kind of sad because my local newspaper is infinitely more useful than news websites and blogs.  Especially for local news, which really is what matters when all is said and done.  I read my local newspaper when I have the time via their online reader.  I prefer it in the paper layout because it makes you notice smaller stories that you weren't specifically looking for and will never show up on the front page of *bignews*.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #200 on: May 05, 2015, 02:50:03 PM »

That's kind of sad because my local newspaper is infinitely more useful than news websites and blogs.  Especially for local news, which really is what matters when all is said and done.  I read my local newspaper when I have the time via their online reader.  I prefer it in the paper layout because it makes you notice smaller stories that you weren't specifically looking for and will never show up on the front page of *bignews*.com
That's how I feel about newspapers in general (although I'm not a particularly large fan of our local paper).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: May 06, 2015, 06:45:59 AM »
Someone mentioned it already, but Sears, and that makes me sad.   We used to go to the Sears in Bridgeport all the time as my Dad was a big fan of Craftsman tools (still has most of them, by the way) and I adopted that.  But I went in to get something about a week ago, and it was expensive (the clearance price on a TV was still $100 more than the same TV at Target and Best Buy) and as the sales people work on a commission, I wasn't halfway through the door before the salesman was on me (which I hate). 

I'm catching up reading this thread and came across this post. Last week I wanted to get a George Foreman grill so the first place I stop at is Bed Bath & Beyond, they don't carry it and told me to order online and then pick it up at the store. Next door is a Best Buy so I figure I'll swing in there and just maybe they'll have it, nope. Across the street is a Sears, surely this shell of a building won't have it but I went in there anyway. It's empty, I go upstairs and I ask one of the employees if they have any, and they did. A few models, she even opened one box to let me look at it because they didn't have a display model then went and got another new box so I wouldn't have to ring out the opened box.

Great customer service and they're price was $20 less than ordering it through Bed Bath & Beyond. I do very little shopping at brick and motor places but I should swing by Sears more often.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: May 06, 2015, 07:00:26 AM »
Someone mentioned it already, but Sears, and that makes me sad.   We used to go to the Sears in Bridgeport all the time as my Dad was a big fan of Craftsman tools (still has most of them, by the way) and I adopted that.  But I went in to get something about a week ago, and it was expensive (the clearance price on a TV was still $100 more than the same TV at Target and Best Buy) and as the sales people work on a commission, I wasn't halfway through the door before the salesman was on me (which I hate). 

I'm catching up reading this thread and came across this post. Last week I wanted to get a George Foreman grill so the first place I stop at is Bed Bath & Beyond, they don't carry it and told me to order online and then pick it up at the store. Next door is a Best Buy so I figure I'll swing in there and just maybe they'll have it, nope. Across the street is a Sears, surely this shell of a building won't have it but I went in there anyway. It's empty, I go upstairs and I ask one of the employees if they have any, and they did. A few models, she even opened one box to let me look at it because they didn't have a display model then went and got another new box so I wouldn't have to ring out the opened box.

Great customer service and they're price was $20 less than ordering it through Bed Bath & Beyond. I do very little shopping at brick and motor places but I should swing by Sears more often.

I feel like sears is really only good for tools and appliances.  Anything else you can find cheaper or better at other big stores.  All the Sears by me are also all old and just don't look very pleasant.  It's hard for me to look at a Sears vs. a Target and chose to go to Sears instead besides for tools and appliances.  I see no reason to go there for electronics over Best Buy or for clothes over Target or Walmart (if you are buying clothes at these types of store, which I do sometimes) and if I want a bed/bath products then Bed Bath and Beyond is a better option.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #203 on: May 06, 2015, 07:29:04 AM »
For the record, I still subscribe to my local paper (Thurs-Sat) and despite the fact that the delivery is as screwed up as possible (I miss at least one paper a week without fail) I'll still continue to do so, if only for the ad flyers and the crossword puzzles.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: May 06, 2015, 07:54:55 AM »
We only buy the Sunday paper for the coupons.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #205 on: May 06, 2015, 09:15:46 AM »
I haven't read a newspaper in years, and the last time I bought one was when the Seahawks won the Super Bowl.   Before that, it had been at least a decade.

FM radio is something I still do on my morning commute.   It's not the same since Bob Rivers (of Twisted Tune fame) retired. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #206 on: May 06, 2015, 01:45:20 PM »
I listen to FM radio all the time (Usually streaming a local station via my phone... because I can.)

And on the newspaper thing... our local paper used to have a free online site to read the news... and it was updated like hourly. It was great. And then... one day they went to a subscription based model. Either subscribe to the physical paper and get the online with it (Which we / I tried and they kept fucking it up) or spend like $4 a month for the digital only. I tried that as well and they completely fucked my account up and never let me renew after my first month....

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Calvin6s

« Reply #207 on: May 06, 2015, 03:26:32 PM »
I'm sure a lot of the problems with the long term paper news is brought on by the stupid "that's old people stuff" that makes certain things trendy or not, regardless of whether it deserves to be trendy.  Like Jay said, the quality of the paper itself was still there.  But even though Jay was subscribing, many others weren't based off nothing more than "I don't want people to think I'm not cool".

It really is a strange dynamic this past decade.  Established in "19early9" used to be a big selling point for a business.  Now if something is "19somethingAnything", it is an albatross.  The "old" people aren't swayed, but the "this is our time" youth eat it up.  They are so independent, that they are swayed by the most simplistic advertising.

Somebody else mentioned how great their local Sears is.  It is sad because places like that didn't turn to crap.  They just were abandoned for no other reason than "not cool", which leads to an income shortage, which leads to scale backs, which leads to the "they turned to crap" becoming a self-fulfilling prophesy.

I yearn for a time when we judge products and services on reality again.  And like I said, this is a relatively new thing because long time businesses used to be a selling point.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #208 on: May 07, 2015, 05:24:52 AM »
No....the problems with a physical newspaper were not brought about by any "that's old people stuff".  The quality of the paper is NOT still there as it is simply an out dated product.  Nothing to do with "cool" or "trendy".

Companies like these going away have very little to do with any "cool" factor, nor are they a recent phenomenon.  It is simply a case of technology or updated needs making a product or service obsolete.  Why wait for a newspaper for news that is a day old, when you can use the internet and get it up to the minute and free?
Sears and other retailers suffer because of several factors.  As a retailer, their business model depends on remaining efficient and current.  It isnt the consumers fault if management cant run their business properly.  Even if it isnt managements fault, you cant blame the consumer if the trends go away from a business.  Thats just life in business.
We used to use Horses, then cars....now Hybrid/Electric Tech is growing.
We used to use Telegraph., then phones....then cell tech came along.
We used to go watch film movies in a theater parlor, then the VCR....now with digital we can watch them on our phones.
We ARE judging products and services on reality...TODAYS reality....not yesterdays reality.  Yearning for a physical news paper is judging on nostalgia, and not its outdated model.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 05:45:43 AM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #209 on: May 07, 2015, 09:08:22 AM »
I was coming home from holiday on the train yesterday and I saw an MFI* store. I haven't seen one of those for years! I just thought they'd gone out of business or something.

*Furniture store, I believe.