Author Topic: Companies you are surprised still exist  (Read 17039 times)

Calvin6s

Re: Companies you are surprised still exist
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2015, 05:41:51 PM »
I avoid the other pizza places around here except Little Caesar's if I need a quick fix.

I'm surprised you can eat Little Caesar's if the other pizza is making you feel sick.  Around here, we call it Little Squeezer's.  You figure that one out.

Because I actually feel remorse when I see a business go under, I will add in the opposite direction.  When am I going to get more internet options?  The lack of competition is pathetic considering everybody wants it.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2015, 05:45:32 PM »
I'm not sure how the local comic/TCG shop in my town can stay in business. He gets the most business from Magic: the Gathering prereleases and even then most people in my town go out of town for those. His store is extremely small and poorly run, and yet he's been going since early 2000.

Maybe he has a second job haha

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2015, 07:53:59 PM »
I remember the Sears Wish Book when I was a kid.  That was awesome.

OMG Yes! I can't wait to explain to my kids that was they way we figured out and informed our parents of what we wanted for Christmas.

And it was probably the first time I ever saw a woman in a bra.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Calvin6s

« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2015, 07:58:13 PM »

And there's a snapshot of my youth.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2015, 08:32:27 PM »
I avoid the other pizza places around here except Little Caesar's if I need a quick fix.

I'm surprised you can eat Little Caesar's if the other pizza is making you feel sick.  Around here, we call it Little Squeezer's.  You figure that one out.

You must have a really shitty Little Caesar's, I've almost always liked their pizza when I get it. Same goes with Domino's.

(Though I'll never forget the deep dish pizza I ate with orchestra friends at Giordano's... in Chicago...)
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2015, 09:17:15 PM »
This falls more under the "Companies you are surprised anyone still patronizes" category. McDonalds. There is absolutely nothing they do better than any other ubiquitous fast food joint. Except maybe be more ubiquitous. Unless you are in the sticks, if there is a McDonalds on the side of the road, chances are there is a better fast food place within a couple blocks.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline 425

« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2015, 09:21:41 PM »
Fountain beverages. McDonald's fountain beverages are better than anyone else's. Hard to find a place where you can get a better Coke than McDonald's. Also, their fries are among the best of all the fast food restaurants. And their breakfast. I'm not at all surprised at McDonald's continued success. They're quick and cheap, they're everywhere, and a lot of the food tastes pretty good, too.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2015, 10:03:56 PM »
Not really a company, but a part of a company

like seriously why hasn't Adobe Flash Player just died already, HTML5 is beating it into a pulp
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2015, 10:28:42 PM »
Funny, had the same discussion with friends earlier :lol
I once read that Netflix doesn't want to go HTML5 because it doesn't support DRM.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2015, 10:32:10 PM »
On this pizza topic.

Man, I have such a low standard when it comes to pizza.  My accounting clubs always order from Little Caesar's, because it's very cheap, and we eat all the slices, because, well, how can we refuse relatively free pizza? (I technically paid for it by paying the club membership fee though).  I couldn't recall the last time my household ordered Domino's, but the few times I had it, it was all right.  We just wanted to have them cinnamon sticks with them icing dipping sauce.  Nowadays, if my household wants pizza, we get Pizza Hut (for the honey BBQ and Garlic Parmesan wings as well).

Calvin6s

« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2015, 10:42:14 PM »
Sounds like Domino's and Little Caesar's vary wildly by location.

Adobe Flash:  Constantly crashing when I go to YouTube in my Firefox browser.  Can I watch YouTube videos on Firefox with Adobe?  I have Chrome just for watching videos.

Offline 425

« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2015, 10:57:27 PM »
Funny, had the same discussion with friends earlier :lol
I once read that Netflix doesn't want to go HTML5 because it doesn't support DRM.

Doesn't Netflix use Silverlight? In any case, I understand the need for them to have DRM built in. At least their player is pretty good. I think ABC's is flash-based, and it is atrocious.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline jammindude

« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2015, 06:19:28 AM »
This falls more under the "Companies you are surprised anyone still patronizes" category. McDonalds. There is absolutely nothing they do better than any other ubiquitous fast food joint. Except maybe be more ubiquitous. Unless you are in the sticks, if there is a McDonalds on the side of the road, chances are there is a better fast food place within a couple blocks.

I'm personally convinced that they use crack instead of salt on their fries.   Their regular food may be no better than any other fast food joint, but nearly everyone I've met thinks McD's has the monopoly on yummy fries.    No one else's comes close IMO.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2015, 07:51:59 AM »
I have no problems with McDonald's or Little Caesar's.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2015, 07:53:30 AM »
I really don't like companies rewarding for the use of credit cards. I understand the reasoning behind it, but I refuse to play ball. I have used a credit card twice in my life. Once was for an emergency tow and the other was for a new laptop for school (which I paid off 8 months before interest started kicking in). I prefer to never charge anything. I have enough bills in my life. I'd much rather a company have a rewards card that keeps track of your purchases as a customer, regardless of what payment method you use, and then issue you bonuses based on being a good customer rather than opting to put yourself in debt.

But you understand that rewards regardless of payment method defeats the purpose, right?   They are not "giving" you anything for free, it's just a less transparent way of making you pay for it. 

I'm with you in principle (though I haven't been as disciplined as I would like in terms of practice) but it is precisely the use of the cards that enables the rewards. 

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2015, 07:57:52 AM »
If the consumer pays off his balance every month, like I do, then my rewards are most certainly free to the consumer.  I make about a grand every year in gift cards from my credit card use, and use them for teachers gifts, birthdays, etc.  The people who are paying for my rewards are the businesses where I use my credit card....the credit card charges them fees when I use my card.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2015, 07:59:59 AM »

I'm personally convinced that they use crack instead of salt on their fries.   Their regular food may be no better than any other fast food joint, but nearly everyone I've met thinks McD's has the monopoly on yummy fries.    No one else's comes close IMO.

Yeah, I'm with you.  I have even gone to Wendy's for a Single Cheese, then driven across the street right into the Mickey D's drive through for their fries.  I'm also a fan of the Quarter Pounder, though I try not to eat it very often.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2015, 08:12:58 AM »

Yeah, I'm with you.  I have even gone to Wendy's for a Single Cheese, then driven across the street right into the Mickey D's drive through for their fries.  I'm also a fan of the Quarter Pounder, though I try not to eat it very often.

I personally love McD's Double Quarter Pounder with extra cheese and bacon. I cannot think of a single fast food item, from any franchise, that I prefer to it. Their fries are heavenly, too. Though I don't go there very often, for obvious reasons.

Something tangentially related: whenever I go to a fast food restaurant, it makes me sad to see people in their mid-20s or older working there in non-management positions. There are many other open jobs, at least in my area, that require no experience, pay more than minimum wage, and sport far superior working conditions.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2015, 08:18:53 AM »
No matter what country you're in, McDonalds is where you can always go and get a humongous, American sized cup of decent coffee for $2. No one enjoys a demitasse of exceptional coffee with a pastry more than me, but it's certainly helpful that you can follow it up with a large from McD's half an hour later if you need a real cup that morning. 

As for their food, it's strictly on an emergency basis for me. Twice in the last 6 years, and I remember both events. Drunk off my ass at 0200 in Hamburg and passing through Las Cruces while a massive storm was blowing through and it was the only place with power (and even then it was mostly because I needed their WiFi for a bit).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2015, 08:50:48 AM »
I enjoy McDonalds food. Its bad so its not something to eat often, but I do think its tasty.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2015, 08:54:12 AM »
I enjoy McDonalds food. Its bad so its not something to eat often, but I do think its tasty.

McDonald's first are the best.  I always tell them to put extra salt and they're so fucking  delicious.  However, when it comes to burgers, I prefer Burger King or Wendy's. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2015, 09:17:46 AM »
Yea the burgers arent the best but the soda and fries are very good.  There is something different about the coke there, its very good and has a distinct taste too.  Also the wide straws are awesome.

Wendys does have the best burgers though, but I really dont like their fries.

Either way, Taco Bell is the best fast food and somehow this has turned into the fast food thread.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2015, 09:29:33 AM »
I'm hungry. 

I remember when Wendy's first introduced the Spicy Chicken sandwich, it was so good.  It was really spicy.  People must have complained though because after a while, I remember it losing that spice. 

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2015, 09:35:03 AM »
Yea the burgers arent the best but the soda and fries are very good.  There is something different about the coke there, its very good and has a distinct taste too.  Also the wide straws are awesome.

Either way, Taco Bell is the best fast food and somehow this has turned into the fast food thread.

You had me until the last sentence; Taco Bell is disgusting. A fast-food version of food that I already despise? No thanks.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2015, 09:40:43 AM »

You had me until the last sentence; Taco Bell is disgusting. A fast-food version of food that I already despise? No thanks.

Taco Bell is the shittiest of the shit. The only fast food place I get burgers from is Five Guys.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2015, 09:47:49 AM »
The only fast food place I get burgers from is Five Guys.

Thanks Brian. I've been trying to get my lunches under control.....just read this.....probably heading to 5 Guys for lunch.  :lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2015, 09:56:07 AM »
I never had 5 Guys before.  I did try Cheeburger Cheeburger which was just terrible.  I like how you can put anything on it that you want, but the burger was just horrible. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2015, 09:58:58 AM »

Taco Bueno destroys them (yet they're still better than del Taco). In any event, now that we've got as many taquerias as California that's a moot point. Taco Bell is where Mexicans go for cheap American food, whilst us gringos throw down on street tacos and tortas.  :lol

And yeah, between this and a sandwich thread on another forum, I suspect Tortas la Hechizera is in my immediate future.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2015, 10:01:12 AM »
The only fast food place I get burgers from is Five Guys.

Thanks Brian. I've been trying to get my lunches under control.....just read this.....probably heading to 5 Guys for lunch.  :lol

#Jealous

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2015, 10:04:12 AM »
I am officially hungry.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2015, 10:11:17 AM »
I've never had a 5 guys burger, but if you're willing to spend $8 for a bacon cheeseburger then there are a ton of very high quality options down here. I'd opt for a place that treats a burger as a unique item, rather than one that mass produces them. Moreover, considering how people ranted and raved over In and Out when they moved into town and how thoroughly awful they actually are, I tend to treat highly regard import burger chains with a very suspect eye.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2015, 10:14:40 AM »
5 Guys is the one chain that has great burgers.  Also, I can feel my arteries harden with each bite.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2015, 10:31:41 AM »
Don't ever order a large order of fries at 5 Guys.

Unless you really, really mean it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2015, 10:35:16 AM »

I learned the hard way myself.  After, I had to shower.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: April 10, 2015, 10:37:48 AM »

I learned the hard way myself.  After, I had to shower.

Same here. There were literally more fries in the bag than in the cup inside it (which was also full).