Author Topic: Companies you are surprised still exist  (Read 17038 times)

Offline Cable

Re: Companies you are surprised still exist
« Reply #210 on: May 08, 2015, 09:22:08 PM »
No....the problems with a physical newspaper were not brought about by any "that's old people stuff".  The quality of the paper is NOT still there as it is simply an out dated product.  Nothing to do with "cool" or "trendy".

Companies like these going away have very little to do with any "cool" factor, nor are they a recent phenomenon.  It is simply a case of technology or updated needs making a product or service obsolete.  Why wait for a newspaper for news that is a day old, when you can use the internet and get it up to the minute and free?

Although I agree with other's points, bingo in bold. The ultimate death of newspapers is them going online, and offering many stories for free. And blogging/amateur/hobbist newsies writing about the same stories for free.  Then Twitter. I feel the subscriptions are limiting on mobile devices, but again the free factor. Just a simple google search will give me news stories for free from different outlets.

Case in point for the up to the minute news, and this is a trivial entertainment news example. In the show How I met Your Mother, when they revealed the mom, I wanted to know who the actress was. She wasn't a big name, so I took to the Twitter machines. Knowing full well that bloggers would take a couple of hours. And the New York Times would publish a story next morning, if at all. This was about two minutes after the reveal, and there it was, someone tweeted who it was.

Information moves WAY to fast these days IMO for newspapers to keep up. That said, on the point of the coolness factor, nothing is more cool to me than seeing someone read a paper over coffee. I could never do it because the thing was too big, and I always got pissed when I couldn't fold it.  :lol
---

Calvin6s

« Reply #211 on: May 08, 2015, 09:51:08 PM »
There's fast information and then there is well researched information.  Newspapers still provide the latter.  They also provide good local information.

You can use both.  We've had 24 hour TV news for decades now.  There are benefits to both fast and well researched.  But in reality, I'd rather only read it once.

As far as the furniture store going out of business, that wouldn't be a surprise in the US.  Furniture stores have a grand opening with a "Going out of business" sign.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: May 08, 2015, 10:08:38 PM »
https://money.cnn.com/2015/05/08/technology/aol-dial-up/

2.1 million people in the United States still use AOL dial-up to connect to the Internet....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2015/02/09/aol-earnings-preview-programmatic-platform-to-deliver-growth-yet-again/

AOL is set to release its Q1 2015 earnings Friday, May 8th. The company posted 8% year-over-year growth in revenues to $562.2 million in Q4, while the net income grew by 66% year over year to $59.6 million....

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #213 on: May 09, 2015, 09:12:56 AM »
Dafuq?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"