Author Topic: Dream Theater entered the studio in February v. No News is Good News  (Read 488068 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Dream Theater in the Studio February
« Reply #1960 on: June 01, 2015, 04:20:15 PM »
That's why I changed it! :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1961 on: June 01, 2015, 04:47:41 PM »
Not that I will repeat the f** word here, but I think I know what he is referring to, and I too find it somewhat unfortunate when he sings that way. I realize it's supposed to be a more intimate, softer type of singing, but it does indeed go into rather unfortunate territory when he sings that way.
The only time that crossed my mind was at the "I ran into Julian...it's time for him to goooo-eeeehh-ooow" part, but he's channeling Victoria there, so it fits perfectly. Not to mention, I love that part and JLB's delivery (especially in the studio version), one of my favorite DT sing-along parts.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1962 on: June 01, 2015, 05:03:56 PM »
Not that I will repeat the f** word here, but I think I know what he is referring to, and I too find it somewhat unfortunate when he sings that way. I realize it's supposed to be a more intimate, softer type of singing, but it does indeed go into rather unfortunate territory when he sings that way.
The only time that crossed my mind was at the "I ran into Julian...it's time for him to goooo-eeeehh-ooow" part, but he's channeling Victoria there, so it fits perfectly. Not to mention, I love that part and JLB's delivery (especially in the studio version), one of my favorite DT sing-along parts.

My favorite aspect of James' singing is that he always seems to accurately convey the emotions behind the music to the listener. He sings a song like Vacant completely differently than a song like Panic Attack. His voice covers such a broad range of emotions and he does it so effortlessly.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1963 on: June 01, 2015, 06:18:51 PM »
I'm a little baffled by this discussion. James' sometimes feminine sounding voice has never really bothered me, but I'm a huge Mercury fan. What does bother me is his occasional pitchiness and sometimes thin timbre  :-\

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1964 on: June 01, 2015, 09:43:48 PM »
Interesting comparison there with Mercury. I think in his case that type of singing came with his persona that was larger than life.

Offline 425

« Reply #1965 on: June 01, 2015, 11:05:27 PM »
My favorite aspect of James' singing is that he always seems to accurately convey the emotions behind the music to the listener. He sings a song like Vacant completely differently than a song like Panic Attack. His voice covers such a broad range of emotions and he does it so effortlessly.

I agree. My musical tastes have been shifting for a while away from the JLB style of bombastic singing towards more straightforward, plain deliveries, but I still really enjoy and admire JLB, largely for this reason. JLB has one of the greatest emotional ranges of any singer I've ever heard. He really does embody whatever emotion the song requires. Not that many people could hit the right emotional notes for This Dying Soul, Wait for Sleep, Breaking All Illusions, Finally Free and The Dark Eternal Night. Whatever flaws he may have, JLB is an extraordinarily strong singer in this department.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1966 on: June 02, 2015, 06:52:23 AM »

This is indeed one of his best aspects. Last tour and his great performance made me appreciate this aspect more. Lie, The Looking Glass, Finally Free, Space Dye Vest and Lifting Shadows are all very distinct peformances, for example.

A quote from Arjen Lucassen about working with Labrie for Human Equation:

– What was something you absolutely didn’t expect?

Arjen: That he would come so well-prepared. He knew the story and the character he had to portray even better than I did! And the amount of emotion he put into his performance, I can easily see why he sells millions of albums.

Sometimes he attempts lines that I feel do not suit his voice though (especially some moments during 8V, SC and TOT) and offcourse there are certain styles that are simply not my cup of tea.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 07:02:38 AM by ErHaO »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1967 on: June 02, 2015, 07:59:08 AM »
I thought JLB on the last album was pretty great, I thought that was the popular opinion?

I think it is. It's just not my opinion. He was loads better on ADToE, or he at least knew his limitations better then.

But he shines even more on Frameshift, or even JLB's last couple of solo album. I still think DT under utilizes him in the vocal department.
One thing you have to remember is that DT has to utilize him in such a way that what he does on the album can be recreated live. That's not something he has to worry about on side projects (at least, not anywhere near the same extent).

Well James did take his solo material on the road and that worked pretty well. At least for the couple of bootlegs that I heard...
Yeah, but only for a handful of performances, not a months-long world tour.  Which is why I said "not anywhere near the same extent."
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1968 on: June 02, 2015, 08:33:07 AM »
JR posted a video on FB, practicing for the tour. Just FYI. Nothing long though, don't get overly excited.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #1969 on: June 02, 2015, 08:46:36 AM »
The wait and the lack of information on direction, etc, doesn't bother me a bit.  However I would kill for a statement that "The album is going well and we're hoping for a (fall, winter, spring, whichever) release".  Just one line is all I need  :biggrin:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1970 on: June 02, 2015, 09:00:40 AM »
The wait and the lack of information on direction, etc, doesn't bother me a bit.  However I would kill for a statement that "The album is going well and we're hoping for a (fall, winter, spring, whichever) release".  Just one line is all I need  :biggrin:
That would be nice.

Either way, it seems evident that they are now no longer in music production mode, but rather tour preparation mode.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1971 on: June 02, 2015, 09:35:36 AM »
That Jordan's latest fb video (introducing Cinematic Guitars Infinity) shows a few tasty riffs. I found that riff which starts at 0:48 very interesting, only if that would be a new riff for a DT song...  :angel:
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1972 on: June 02, 2015, 10:01:41 AM »
That Jordan's latest fb video (introducing Cinematic Guitars Infinity) shows a few tasty riffs. I found that riff which starts at 0:48 very interesting, only if that would be a new riff for a DT song...  :angel:

That one was great, as were many others.
I don't like watching these videos, because I always want stuff like this on the albums, and it doesn't happen.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #1973 on: June 02, 2015, 12:50:16 PM »
I really like ADTOE despite what I say about the wankery and such. When that's not going on, its very good. Same can be said about most other DT albums. So I don't know what i can say I want to hear next from them.

I would like to see them branch out more from their traditional sound. Like when I put in an album like ADTOE and the first song begins, you know immediately that its DT, and honestly when that happened it did not excite me. It was a more of the same old thing situation. You know exactly what you're in for (it did grow on me and now I enjoy it). Now its good for a band to have their own sound and style. But I want to see them change that sound more. Honestly, I think they should take inspiration from Awake because its their best album, it has a different sound and atmosphere, but also is recognizable as Dream Theater. I guess the last album was a step in the right direction, but not enough.

I'm not saying they should make Awake 2 (as cool as that would be). I'm saying they need to do something more unique, because nothing they have done since are what I'd call unique. And yea, something raw and dark like Awake would be amazing but I can't see that happening in a million years, which depresses me.

Offline GandL

« Reply #1974 on: June 02, 2015, 02:01:56 PM »

That one was great, as were many others.
I don't like watching these videos, because I always want stuff like this on the albums, and it doesn't happen.

Agree 100%

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #1975 on: June 02, 2015, 02:26:30 PM »
I still hope for "Tales from Theatrical Dreams", double CD, four 30 minute tracks (2 per CD).  The End.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1976 on: June 02, 2015, 02:40:25 PM »
I'm glad most of the comments picked up the two best riffs of the video! I really do hope, as all the other people, that those two will be featured in some way in the new album. It won't happen, though.

If I remember correctly, in the wilderness months between the auditions announcement and the documentary, when the DT fan base was reaching an unparalleled level of left-in-the-darkness psychosis, JP was featured in some guitar-techy video demoing some new feature playing a few riffs. One of those in particular appeared to be more structured and coherent than your average improvised on the spot riff. For a while there was some talk about that riff being part of the then to be announced ADTOE.
It much later turned out to be the main riff of the JP solo song Zero Tolerance, that I believe was premiered in the SA G3 tour of 2012.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1977 on: June 02, 2015, 03:04:46 PM »
I still hope for "Tales from Theatrical Dreams", double CD, four 30 minute tracks (2 per CD).  The End.

i'd rather have an album of 12 / 13 eight to 10 minute songs.

Screw the big epic at the end. They need to get off of that treadmill now.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #1978 on: June 02, 2015, 04:11:37 PM »

No problem with what you want, I just would love to see DT's take on "Tales from Topographic Oceans", four 30 minute tracks certainly wouldn't be them being on a treadmill; not that there's any chance of it actually happening.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1979 on: June 02, 2015, 05:14:00 PM »

100% agree.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1980 on: June 02, 2015, 05:25:09 PM »
I'd love them to make a more experimental album. With each member's background, something really good can come out of it. And with such a solid fanbase, I don't think they have much to lose.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1981 on: June 02, 2015, 05:56:01 PM »
I'd love them to make a more experimental album. With each member's background, something really good can come out of it. And with such a solid fanbase, I don't think they have much to lose.
I'm not so sure about that. It seems like fans take a few years to come around to their less conventional material. It took fans forever to warm up to FII, and for awhile SDOIT disc 1 was something many fans considered vastly inferior to disc 2. I also remember the tepid reaction to Octavarium when that first came out. Albums like Dramatic Turn and DT12 may not satisfy fans in the long term, but they do seem to make fans happy enough initially, and get people back into the seats for shows.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1982 on: June 02, 2015, 07:32:34 PM »

Absolutely this.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1983 on: June 03, 2015, 07:55:58 AM »

Yeah, they've done one in a row.  It's really getting tedious.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1984 on: June 03, 2015, 07:56:44 AM »
I'd like to see them jam out an album instead of their usual writing process, but that won't happen  :lol

Also

Absolutely this.

Agreed.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1985 on: June 03, 2015, 08:03:33 AM »
Just catching up in this thread - re: James on DT12. Yes, overall he sounded good but there were a LOT of effects on the vocals weren't there?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1986 on: June 03, 2015, 09:58:19 AM »

What the fuck are you talking about ?

Octavarium. The Count Of Tuscany. Illumination Theory. All songs are 20 minutes or over.

And don't start with that " BUT DER NOT LE LE EPICS LE !!!!! !!1111!!! " - You know I meant finishing the album with a lengthy song.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1987 on: June 03, 2015, 10:05:30 AM »
And don't start with that " BUT DER NOT LE LE EPICS LE !!!!! !!1111!!! " - You know I meant finishing the album with a lengthy song.
Aren't you a little old to speak like that?  I certainly am.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1988 on: June 03, 2015, 10:07:16 AM »
No Comment.  :angel:

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #1989 on: June 03, 2015, 10:35:56 AM »

What the fuck are you talking about ?

Octavarium. The Count Of Tuscany. Illumination Theory. All songs are 20 minutes or over.
He said one in a row, not one ever.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1990 on: June 03, 2015, 10:36:48 AM »
He knows exactly what I meant.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1991 on: June 03, 2015, 10:44:04 AM »
I dont see what the problem is with ending the album with a long song, assuming they write such a song, isnt the best spot the last track? 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1992 on: June 03, 2015, 11:04:17 AM »
I'd like to see them jam out an album instead of their usual writing process, but that won't happen  :lol

Um...that's pretty much how they write every album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #1993 on: June 03, 2015, 11:24:18 AM »
I dont see what the problem is with ending the album with a long song, assuming they write such a song, isnt the best spot the last track?

It would be one thing if they always wrote the albums in order, such that the writing session was "Oh gosh guys, we have eight short tracks...we gotta make sure we do the epic now!" If it's shoehorned in, I get the complaint. But on SC for example, the epic was the first thing they wrote. As long as it's developed organically, I'm fine with it. DT's made great 20+ minute songs and less great ones, and they've made great short songs and less great ones. Whatever preferences we have about lengths (and I have them as much as anyone), ultimately those preferences become (largely) irrelevant once we actually have the music and are simply evaluating its quality.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1994 on: June 03, 2015, 11:26:49 AM »

I would even go as far to say that I'm disappointed when they don't end with the longest track. I love Beneath the Surface but Breaking All Illusions should absolutely be the last song you hear when listening to A Dramatic Turn of Events. Ditto for Scarred with Awake (although I don't really like Space-Dye Vest) and The Killing Hand for When Dream and Day Unite. The only album where the longest song not ending the album is fine is Finally Free with Scenes From a Memory but being the last part of a whole story, it's different.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask