Author Topic: Dream Theater entered the studio in February v. No News is Good News  (Read 488086 times)

Offline jakepriest

Re: Dream Theater in the Studio February
« Reply #1925 on: May 31, 2015, 12:31:26 PM »
As far as I know "kot" is cat in Polish. "kočka" in Czech but that's just a fun trivia.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1926 on: May 31, 2015, 02:27:07 PM »
Well, to be fair, Polish is the hardest, most complex language on Earth :P .

I can probably say I've heard that statement being said about every major language in this world.
It's not just about the language you're learning; it's equally as much about the language you're coming from. German with its three genders and four different cases must be hell for a Chinese speaker. For a Dutch person it would just be a shoulder shrug.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1927 on: May 31, 2015, 03:41:05 PM »
Du hast recht. Deutsch ist nicht ganz schwer um zu lernen. Verstehen ist ganz einfach, aber schreiben ein bisschen mehr nachdenken. Dankeschön.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1928 on: May 31, 2015, 04:28:59 PM »
Tranquilo amigão!!!

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #1929 on: May 31, 2015, 06:15:39 PM »
Mieli dzieci: Jachce z Cepką mieli Szacha, Jachce Drachce z Cepką Drepką mieli Szacha Szarszaracha, Jachce Drachce Drachcedroni z Cepką Drepką Rompomponi mieli Szacha Szarszaracha Fudżi Fajkę. Kto powtórzy całą bajkę?

Offline NotePad

« Reply #1930 on: May 31, 2015, 07:30:38 PM »
Trust me, this album will be like BC&SL part 2. They will not repeat the shorter song thing two times in a row. This album will have the longest, most drawn out songs they will ever do. This album will break the world record for having the worlds longest keyboard solo.

"After crafting these shorter songs, we really want to let loose on our next record. If a song starts sounding too catchy or memorable, that's when we know to let Jordan loose so he can do his thing and add some dynamic to it. I've always said every good song needs to be ruined by a goofy sounding keyboard solo that sounds nothing like the rest of the song. Really lets the song have breathing room......and expect more of the same as recent years from James because I've always thought he sounded best when he sings like a fag."
- John Petrucci, 2015 interview

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1931 on: May 31, 2015, 07:36:01 PM »
Du hast recht. Deutsch ist nicht ganz schwer um zu lernen. Verstehen ist ganz einfach, aber schreiben ein bisschen mehr nachdenken. Dankeschön.

I can't write Dutch (we just never had to learn it in school) but reading it is pretty straightforward. It's mostly just funky spelling.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1932 on: June 01, 2015, 12:16:09 AM »
I don't particularily like JLB's stuff on the latest album either, but there's no need to be a dick about it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1933 on: June 01, 2015, 12:20:21 AM »
inb4 :bosk1:

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1934 on: June 01, 2015, 01:57:16 AM »

I can't write Dutch (we just never had to learn it in school) but reading it is pretty straightforward. It's mostly just funky spelling.

Yeah the other way around is exactly that. When you pretend to speak German, you're accidentally speaking it.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1935 on: June 01, 2015, 02:30:50 AM »
Was this page copy-and-pasted from fiveeightforums?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 04:25:54 AM by me7 »

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1936 on: June 01, 2015, 04:33:02 AM »
"... Really lets the song have breathing room......and expect more of the same as recent years from James because I've always thought he sounded best when he sings like a fag."

May I remind you of rule 5:

5. Keep your language reasonable. Repeated and inappropriate usage of explicit language is forbidden. Violators will be warned before any serious action is taken. No racially offensive posts. No posts that are derogatory toward gender or sexual preference. No posts that use slang terms for any race, sexual preference, or religious background. Includes signatures.

Consider this a warning.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1937 on: June 01, 2015, 06:48:18 AM »
...My vision is augmented.

That is all :)
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1938 on: June 01, 2015, 06:58:38 AM »
I thought JLB on the last album was pretty great, I thought that was the popular opinion?

I can probably say I've heard that statement being said about every major language in this world.
It's not just about the language you're learning; it's equally as much about the language you're coming from. German with its three genders and four different cases must be hell for a Chinese speaker. For a Dutch person it would just be a shoulder shrug.

Totally offtopic, but this is not entirely true. Some languages are fairly scientific and thus can be learned quite efficiently by knowing the basic set of rules. A 26-letter alphabet with generally clear rules of pronounciation and grammar is way less complex than Mandarin, with it's vast  amount of characters and information gap between writing and pronouncing, for example.

Offcourse German and English are very easy for a Dutch person like me (and vice versa to some extent) compared to Spanish. But languages do vary a lot in terms of complexity. So there is merit to some people saying their language is difficult.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1939 on: June 01, 2015, 07:18:35 AM »
Offcourse German and English are very easy for a Dutch person like me (and vice versa to some extent) compared to Spanish. But languages do vary a lot in terms of complexity. So there is merit to some people saying their language is difficult.
I would think that Spanish would be easier than English, because at least the rules and letter pronunciations are consistent in Spanish.  There are no silent "K"s in Spanish, and there is no "i before e except after c" rule.  Likewise, in Spanish there is no ridiculousness like rough not rhyming with bough, or owl not rhyming with bowl.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1940 on: June 01, 2015, 07:21:37 AM »
So.... how about them Dream Theater, huh? I hear they're in the studio making something?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1941 on: June 01, 2015, 07:38:05 AM »
I've heard they'll enter the studio next februari.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1942 on: June 01, 2015, 08:22:21 AM »
I would think that Spanish would be easier than English, because at least the rules and letter pronunciations are consistent in Spanish.  There are no silent "K"s in Spanish, and there is no "i before e except after c" rule.  Likewise, in Spanish there is no ridiculousness like rough not rhyming with bough, or owl not rhyming with bowl.
I don't think the spelling inconsistencies are that hard to master. You learn the words anyway, you see them written down a couple of times and there, they're memorized. Having grammatical genders and difficult conjugation (which is by far the easiest in the English language) makes Spanish and other Romance languages harder to learn, imo.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1943 on: June 01, 2015, 08:25:28 AM »
We're discussing learning languages in the thread about DT's new album. This is what happens when we don't get any news.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1944 on: June 01, 2015, 08:27:41 AM »
I thought JLB on the last album was pretty great, I thought that was the popular opinion?

I think it is. It's just not my opinion. He was loads better on ADToE, or he at least knew his limitations better then.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1945 on: June 01, 2015, 09:04:52 AM »

Totally offtopic, but this is not entirely true. Some languages are fairly scientific and thus can be learned quite efficiently by knowing the basic set of rules. A 26-letter alphabet with generally clear rules of pronounciation and grammar is way less complex than Mandarin, with it's vast  amount of characters and information gap between writing and pronouncing, for example.

Yes, but the grammar of Mandarin, to my understanding, is very simplistic. There is no "the horses will have jumped tomorrow". It's just "two horse jump maybe tomorrow".
English, supposedly an "easy" language to learn, is only easy in its grammar. It dropped the genders and cases. But the vocabulary, which is a mix of old Germanic, old Norse, French and Latin, alongside with the different spellings due to that, is a disaster.

The general point is, any civilized country has a language that is complex enough to encode the subtleties of that society. The languages just plug that complexity into different spots. German has a lot of it in the grammar, English in the vocabulary.

EDIT: More on the topic, check out page 40 of this paper: https://www.ddl.ish-lyon.cnrs.fr/fulltext/pellegrino/Pellegrino_to%20appear_Language.pdf
With the exception of Japanese, all the languages there have essentially the same information flow. That information needs to be communicated somehow. Each language does it in a different way, but as a language learner, you will have to learn that.

We're discussing learning languages in the thread about DT's new album. This is what happens when we don't get any news.

Seriously :lol
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 09:13:58 AM by rumborak »

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #1946 on: June 01, 2015, 10:23:27 AM »
I've heard they'll enter the studio next february.

:censored 8 more months...
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Online goo-goo

« Reply #1947 on: June 01, 2015, 10:30:43 AM »

I think it is. It's just not my opinion. He was loads better on ADToE, or he at least knew his limitations better then.

But he shines even more on Frameshift, or even JLB's last couple of solo album. I still think DT under utilizes him in the vocal department.

I also agree with ErHao: James definitely sounded and sang better on ADTOE. He seemed to sing with more melody instead of just "reciting" lines like on most of DT12. At least that's my impression.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1948 on: June 01, 2015, 10:34:40 AM »

Apart on IT, I don't see where he exceeds his limitations. Plus, I find him safer on DT 12 than on ADToE. Opinions vary.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1949 on: June 01, 2015, 11:28:39 AM »

But he shines even more on Frameshift, or even JLB's last couple of solo album. I still think DT under utilizes him in the vocal department.
One thing you have to remember is that DT has to utilize him in such a way that what he does on the album can be recreated live. That's not something he has to worry about on side projects (at least, not anywhere near the same extent).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1950 on: June 01, 2015, 11:29:25 AM »
Not that I will repeat the f** word here, but I think I know what he is referring to, and I too find it somewhat unfortunate when he sings that way. I realize it's supposed to be a more intimate, softer type of singing, but it does indeed go into rather unfortunate territory when he sings that way.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #1951 on: June 01, 2015, 12:17:02 PM »

One thing you have to remember is that DT has to utilize him in such a way that what he does on the album can be recreated live. That's not something he has to worry about on side projects (at least, not anywhere near the same extent).

Well James did take his solo material on the road and that worked pretty well. At least for the couple of bootlegs that I heard...

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1952 on: June 01, 2015, 12:28:20 PM »
Not that I will repeat the f** word here, but I think I know what he is referring to, and I too find it somewhat unfortunate when he sings that way. I realize it's supposed to be a more intimate, softer type of singing, but it does indeed go into rather unfortunate territory when he sings that way.

I'm pretty happy to say that I've never thought this about JLB's vocals, ever. It seems immature to even respond to NotePad when he's clearly flaming. He got warned and that's all the attention he should get, but hey.. If you feel the same way..
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1953 on: June 01, 2015, 12:35:30 PM »
Is a point immediately invalid just because the way it was delivered?

i can definitely say that when I first heard the ending of Through Her Eyes, I had a *very* raised eyebrow.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1954 on: June 01, 2015, 01:19:48 PM »
I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point, but I really like that part.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1955 on: June 01, 2015, 01:28:51 PM »
Rumborak just has overactive eyebrows.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1956 on: June 01, 2015, 02:17:00 PM »

That's his Internet twitch.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1957 on: June 01, 2015, 03:33:39 PM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1959 on: June 01, 2015, 04:04:22 PM »
The one you had originally was FAR less creepy.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."