Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 489669 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #2800 on: December 28, 2016, 02:13:40 PM »
 :heart :

1. Twilight Princess. I know Link To The Past is more "classic" but I love everything about Twilight Princess.

2. Link To The Past. Probably the first one I played and loved. Classic Zelda

3. Ocarina Of Time - played this for hours on my N64.

I never played Zelda I or II and didn't like Skyward Sword. Really like Windwaker too. It'd probably be my 4th overall. i also HATED Majora's Mask.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2801 on: December 28, 2016, 05:58:10 PM »
Finished Frog Fractions. What in the actual fuck was that?  :rollin

I mean, it was fucking awesome - that game goes on so many styles and genres. And it lasts an hour. And you can play it for free.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2802 on: December 28, 2016, 06:03:14 PM »
Frog Fractions  :metal

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2803 on: December 29, 2016, 08:42:01 AM »
The deed is done.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2804 on: December 29, 2016, 09:06:20 AM »
No Man's Sky seems to gather some just fair to bad reviews, is it this bad?

Yes, No Man's Sky is bad. If you want a good spaceflight game, get Elite: Dangerous
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2805 on: December 29, 2016, 09:20:43 AM »

Yes, No Man's Sky is bad. If you want a good spaceflight game, get Elite: Dangerous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqHM9U4rS0Q

This lays it out.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2806 on: December 30, 2016, 07:23:14 PM »
I am really not liking star wars Battlefront. I loved the original first two, but this one feels so paper thin and lame. I got bored after about a half an hour.

The trailers made it look so much fun to play, but the second you get your hands on it, its like meh. So glad I paid $20 bucks for it instead of the $60 at launch

It looks pretty though I guess

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2807 on: December 30, 2016, 07:50:29 PM »
I am really not liking star wars Battlefront. I loved the original first two, but this one feels so paper thin and lame. I got bored after about a half an hour.

The trailers made it look so much fun to play, but the second you get your hands on it, its like meh. So glad I paid $20 bucks for it instead of the $60 at launch

It looks pretty though I guess

The game was severely lacking content without a single player.  It did look great though as you stated, if that's any consolation.  I hope they learn like Titanfall and if they do another one, add a sick single player to it.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2808 on: December 30, 2016, 08:35:20 PM »
Finished ICO. Damn, that was really an interesting game. Very interesting puzzles and overall minimalism. Probably a little frustrating and boring at times, but solid game.

I also should finish Jazzpunk and Machinarium before going for Shadow of the Colossus tho  :lol

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2809 on: December 30, 2016, 08:52:17 PM »
Just got the PS4 as a gift but I'm too broke to get any games. Luckily it came with Uncharted 4.
I had been postponing getting a PS4 til more games I like comes out on it, so far it's only Just Cause 3. Then it became about the ability to afford a PS4 in the first place.
So unlike the PS3, it turns out I gotta install the game to the PS4, yet still have to have the game in when I play! B.S. #1.
B.S#2 being that Uncharted 4 had to download like 12 gb of "updates" and it turns out these updates are only to enable you to play online, they didn't even ask me if I wanna play online! I hate online gaming! yet they still forced the download on me anyway, wasting space and time.
Big "D'Oh"s brought on to me by the PS4 so far heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2810 on: December 30, 2016, 09:21:11 PM »
i also HATED Majora's Mask.

You moth...

I get it, though, it's quite a different game but that's part of reason I adore it. The amount of side quests and stuff really makes it special in my eyes plus the truly dark tone really elevates it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2811 on: December 31, 2016, 05:32:56 AM »
Just got the PS4 as a gift but I'm too broke to get any games. Luckily it came with Uncharted 4.
I had been postponing getting a PS4 til more games I like comes out on it, so far it's only Just Cause 3. Then it became about the ability to afford a PS4 in the first place.
So unlike the PS3, it turns out I gotta install the game to the PS4, yet still have to have the game in when I play! B.S. #1.
B.S#2 being that Uncharted 4 had to download like 12 gb of "updates" and it turns out these updates are only to enable you to play online, they didn't even ask me if I wanna play online! I hate online gaming! yet they still forced the download on me anyway, wasting space and time.

Installing the game plus needing the disc as well is probably so you can't download the game illegally or something. You need both.

However - you can still lend the disc to friends and they can also install and play. That's a bonus to me.

The Xbox One didn't have that facility on launch.  They had to offer it later.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2812 on: December 31, 2016, 07:57:05 AM »
I bought Doom on the steam sale.  Just finished Rise of the Tomb Raider so figured I needed a new single player game and I heard it was a fun shooter.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2813 on: January 02, 2017, 02:40:12 AM »

Installing the game plus needing the disc as well is probably so you can't download the game illegally or something. You need both.
Yeah that, but also it's a lot faster to read data from a hard drive than it is to read from disc, so that way they can load the needed resources a lot faster to allow for faster rendering, less load times, etc.

Also, I don't know what you're talking about with the PS3, didn't you had to install new games with that one as well? :lol I remember for example the most extreme example Metal Gear Solid 4, where the game had you install new data between chapters while looking at an animated, old Snake smoking. That shit was slooooow.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2814 on: January 02, 2017, 05:56:52 AM »
Modern gaming definitely grinds my gears.

The install I can handle for the most part. Its the stupid 15-20 gb updates to download which take forever. When I get my own place, I am connecting the PS4 through Ethernet directly, since WiFI is brutal for files that big.

I really do miss the days of PS2 and earlier. Put the disc in and play. No install, No updates, no nothing.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2815 on: January 02, 2017, 06:48:57 AM »
I bought The Last Guardian and have played a couple of hours. I'll get the negative out of the way first - the control and the camera are the two worst things about it and what really makes it feel dated. It just shows how far we have gotten in the years since they started developing it.

However, everything else is just as great as the previous Team Ico games. :tup Fantastic atmosphere, just as minimalistic and down to earth as before but with a strong sense of depth and history. Interesting mechanics, where you basically befriend a large Tamagotchi. :lol Trico (as he's called) really is quite adorable but still quite scary. But most of all - he is really well made. Everything, from the way he moves to his roars and his behaviour, just feels real to me. There's actually a "pet" button and I use it all the time when he has done something good. :lol

If you were even slightly impressed by Ico or Shadow of the Colloseus, then pick up this game! It's a wonderful sequel.  :tup (Well, it's not really a sequel, as for as I know. But it's the same style.)
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2816 on: January 03, 2017, 09:22:10 AM »
Modern gaming definitely grinds my gears.

The install I can handle for the most part. Its the stupid 15-20 gb updates to download which take forever. When I get my own place, I am connecting the PS4 through Ethernet directly, since WiFI is brutal for files that big.

I really do miss the days of PS2 and earlier. Put the disc in and play. No install, No updates, no nothing.

I kind of feel that era is looked at through rose colored glasses. I think it was great when you can put in a disc and just play the game, however if you had a game breaking bug often times you were screwed.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2817 on: January 03, 2017, 10:24:46 AM »
I think pre internet games were tested far more thoroughly. Nowadays games get patches left right and centre and it means you can pump out games

that haven't been fully tested and just fix em later with a downloadable update.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2818 on: January 03, 2017, 11:05:58 AM »
That's a good point. If games were too buggy back then, they simply failed. So it was in developers' interests to make sure they were sound before release. Now that's less of an imperative. Though games are vastly more complex now, so it's more difficult to test thoroughly as well.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2819 on: January 03, 2017, 11:12:19 AM »
I agree. Back in the day the was no safety net for mistakes in the form of downloads on consoles. When that game went gold, it was bug tested out the ass. Otherwise the developer would appear incompetent. Now a days, they know they can just launch it and fix what they need to fix in the weeks to months following.

And after thinking about it, I don't really remember all that many bugs from back in the day. Sure, they were there, but not like it is today. And like was mentioned, those games would fail. Most importantly, all of this really blows for people that don't happen to have internet.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2820 on: January 03, 2017, 11:18:44 AM »
And after thinking about it, I don't really remember all that many bugs from back in the day. Sure, they were there, but not like it is today. And all of this really blows for people that don't happen to have internet.

In all fairness, I don't think it's even fair to compare the two. I do agree that on one hand the ability to update after release could allow devs to slack a bit, but at the same time, the scope of today's games would have been inconceivable 20 years ago. Looking at games like GTA-V, I couldn't imagine a game of that size being released without bugs. I'm sure it could be done, the the resources it would take to find them all would make no business sense.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2821 on: January 03, 2017, 11:21:23 AM »
That's true. I didn't consider that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2822 on: January 03, 2017, 11:58:35 AM »
It takes awhile to get used to the new era of gaming where you insert disc and then wait a couple hours for the game to be playable.  It's frustrating, but the end result is usually a better game so it's worth it. 

While I bought the new Doom on the steam sale, I put it aside when I saw the Resident Evil remaster on sale.  I'm almost done with it.  I played non stop the last few days and it brought back so many awesome memories.  The game is pretty annoying due to some poor movement mechanics and a save system that while is unique in that it requires some strategy, but is also a pain if you die and need to replay a lot.  Also the remaster looks really nice.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2823 on: January 03, 2017, 12:03:59 PM »
It takes awhile to get used to the new era of gaming where you insert disc and then wait a couple hours for the game to be playable.  It's frustrating, but the end result is usually a better game so it's worth it. 

I've never done it, but don't most games allow you to download those files ahead of time? If a new game is coming out, they open the install files like 24 hours early. That way, when you insert your disc on launch day, all is good to go. No?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2824 on: January 03, 2017, 12:07:28 PM »

I've never done it, but don't most games allow you to download those files ahead of time? If a new game is coming out, they open the install files like 24 hours early. That way, when you insert your disc on launch day, all is good to go. No?

Yea I've seen that with newer big titles.   I did it recently with BF1 and it worked well.  But that's not all titles and that only works if you are doing it on release day.  Still doesn't help the person buying the game a year later and after the initial download then needs to apply all the updates.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2825 on: January 03, 2017, 01:22:02 PM »
And after thinking about it, I don't really remember all that many bugs from back in the day. Sure, they were there, but not like it is today. And all of this really blows for people that don't happen to have internet.

In all fairness, I don't think it's even fair to compare the two. I do agree that on one hand the ability to update after release could allow devs to slack a bit, but at the same time, the scope of today's games would have been inconceivable 20 years ago. Looking at games like GTA-V, I couldn't imagine a game of that size being released without bugs. I'm sure it could be done, the the resources it would take to find them all would make no business sense.

That's a good point too. There was a great podcast episode that was talking about the sheer complexity of games now. They were talking about Bethesda games and how people were complaining about Skyrim bugs.

The episode had a game dev on there that was talking about open world games and how it's impossible to QA everything in a game because each player choice will open another logic thread and things can snowball from there.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #2826 on: January 03, 2017, 02:57:44 PM »

Also, has anyone played The Talos Principle? Is it worth buying?

A little late to the party, but if you like puzzle games, Talos Principle is excellent. Great story, difficult puzzles, lots of secrets, beautiful world.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2827 on: January 03, 2017, 03:01:18 PM »
Though games are vastly more complex now, so it's more difficult to test thoroughly as well.

Also - games get pumped out a lot quicker. There was a debacle a few years ago about one of the Call of Duty games - i think - that used the same cut scene in two of it's games.

Accident or laziness ?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2828 on: January 03, 2017, 03:34:13 PM »
Well I'm sure there are some shared assets but if I remember correctly the CoD games are developed across three different studios.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2829 on: January 03, 2017, 03:45:15 PM »
Finished Shadow of the Colossus. Excellent game, wished it was a bit less linear tho.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2830 on: January 03, 2017, 03:52:58 PM »
I am still playing Final Fantasy 15. I've finished it twice. Once normal and once on Game+.

Everyone is on level 99 and at least 6,000 HP

I'm just trying to do all the hunts and quests now.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2831 on: January 03, 2017, 05:28:49 PM »
I have gotten a lot of mileage out of FF XV. Well worth the $60 bucks

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2832 on: January 04, 2017, 04:07:59 PM »
I am still playing Final Fantasy 15. I've finished it twice. Once normal and once on Game+.

Everyone is on level 99 and at least 6,000 HP

I'm just trying to do all the hunts and quests now.

Are all quests available to you on New Game +, or does it not give you side quests you've already done in your first run through?
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2833 on: January 04, 2017, 05:50:51 PM »
You have to do them all again - but sometimes you start a quest and then it says you've already got the thing so you can simply report back straight away ..

It's funny. I had like $140,000 in my wallet from my previous game and still had to do quests for Cindy to fix the Regalia :P

Also flying the Regalia is a pain. After completing the game - it should be a reward - and as easy as flying the Highwind or Ragnarok in 7 and 8.

Nope. I crash nearly every time. I hate it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2834 on: January 04, 2017, 05:55:44 PM »
Also I hate Gladio. Hate. The other 3 are believable as friends but Gladio is just a constantly irritated Ox.

In Chapter 11 he's just a prick. Why are they friends ?