Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 225119 times)

Offline Ravenfoul

He said that he actually loved the release, so he enjoyed it just like you guys did - I'm not versed in that kind of stuff my ears are bad, but he might be right for all I know. I appreciated the lengthy post on it personally.

And yes the release was rocking  :metal

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
^^^^EXACTLY WHY I DIDN'T WANT TO POST THIS HERE

Watching this release was the highlight of my week!! It was one of the greatest things I've ever witnessed, and the only reason I didn't come here immediately and write a whole review of everything that I found so indescribably awesome, was because of just that!! It was practically indescribable and there is WAY too freaking much to mention.

Mangini was freaking amazing here, TSF totally came to life, JMX seriously shined here like never before, the mix was even damn good, and I'm SO UNBELIEVABLY happy with the setlist. Awake is one of the closest and dearest albums to me and these performances and the quality of this video and the editing is all absolutely phenomenal. WAY too many good things to over right now. In fact, I'm having a Blu-Ray watching party this weekend at my house for this, and I was going to wait but this time I decided to splurge and watch it ahead of time for a few reasons, partially because of how excited I am.

James also seriously shined on this and I enjoy these performances to death. The added melodies were so incredibly evocative and beautiful. I SWEAR I'LL TRYYYYYY HE HEAAA HAEEA HHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYy

I just cared about it so much that I wanted to make a serious point about the one and only flaw (and it's not the first time I've seen it). I seriously cared to bring this to people's attention, because it's not just an opinion. It's a serious production flaw that is the worst detraction from one of the greatest live releases of all time.

edit: the arrows are pointing to  gmillerdrake's and kingshmegland's posts, not Ravenfoul  :lol

Offline erwinrafael

I have listened to the mp3 and the HD Tracks versions. HD Tracks is miles away in quality from the mp3. It's a good option for somebody like me who do not have access to buying the audio CD.

Offline Skeever

Out of curiosity why is every thread on this DVD getting locked and told to be posted here? Do any other releases all get forced to be discussed in only one thread?

Anyway what the Atliator posted is fascinating and now I know why I never enjoy James on DVD.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 08:18:15 PM by Skeever »

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread
« Reply #1334 on: October 01, 2014, 08:33:23 PM »
So I'm watching this again and couldn't help but laugh at anyone that thinking MM is not exciting to watch. 

If anybody honestly thinks that then they probably think the moon landing was fake too. 

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #1335 on: October 01, 2014, 08:45:00 PM »
So I'm watching this again and couldn't help but laugh at anyone that thinking MM is not exciting to watch. 

If anybody honestly thinks that then they probably think the moon landing was fake too.
The face he makes when he hits the bells(?) during enigma machine is great.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1336 on: October 01, 2014, 08:45:21 PM »
I agree, I think Mangini is one of the greatest drummers just to watch that I've seen. Actually even better to watch than Portnoy, in my opinion, who is also a total blast to watch (and I'm seeing Flying Colors tomorrow :metal).

He kept doing these really great fills in Shattered Fortress just one after another, that was a definite highlight for me.

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #1337 on: October 01, 2014, 09:13:41 PM »
What the fuck is wrong with James on this BD?  He sounds amazing.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1338 on: October 01, 2014, 09:31:44 PM »
He is being pitch corrected to the wrong pitches in a few essential moments. That is all. Otherwise he sounds awesome.

Are these places where he should be pitch corrected in the first place?? Certain cases are notes where he shouldn't be pitch corrected at all in the first place because he was dead on, and then in certain other cases there are places where he wasn't perfect (and it's up to your personal preference whether you think they should fix it and make it perfect for the DVD) but in attempt to correct it, they actually tuned him to the wrong note.

If it's still not clear-
James sang some perfect notes --- they were changed to in-tune wrong notes (such as an in-tune F# when it should have been an F)
James sang some messy notes --- they were changed to in-tune wrong notes
^These two things happened several times during the DVD, and I made a list when someone asked.

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #1339 on: October 01, 2014, 09:39:05 PM »
I based my comment entirely on The Mirror and Lie (because, yes, I primarily care about the Awake material).  I'm lazy, so please point me to the list.

P.S.: James sounds even more perfect when his voice is coming out JP's mouth.  I guess that beats coming IN JP's mouth... Maybe not.  Nevermind.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1340 on: October 01, 2014, 09:45:09 PM »
He is being pitch corrected to the wrong pitches in a few essential moments. That is all. Otherwise he sounds awesome.

Are these places where he should be pitch corrected in the first place?? Certain cases are notes where he shouldn't be pitch corrected at all in the first place because he was dead on, and then in certain other cases there are places where he wasn't perfect (and it's up to your personal preference whether you think they should fix it and make it perfect for the DVD) but in attempt to correct it, they actually tuned him to the wrong note.

If it's still not clear-
James sang some perfect notes --- they were changed to in-tune wrong notes (such as an in-tune F# when it should have been an F)
James sang some messy notes --- they were changed to in-tune wrong notes
^These two things happened several times during the DVD, and I made a list when someone asked.

Where's the list Atliator?  It sounds like a rookie mistake to make for such a high profile band.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1341 on: October 01, 2014, 09:46:02 PM »
I agree, I think Mangini is one of the greatest drummers just to watch that I've seen. Actually even better to watch than Portnoy, in my opinion, who is also a total blast to watch (and I'm seeing Flying Colors tomorrow :metal).

He kept doing these really great fills in Shattered Fortress just one after another, that was a definite highlight for me.

I think some of his fills did not work out well in some parts of Trial of Tears. The Shattered Fortress and Scarred, on the other hand, are near perfection. I love that snare drum fill in Scarred (during "Do you feel...").

When MM did the off-time signature fill at the end of Finally Free, I smiled. MM trying to make his own a song that has been marked as one of MP's finest drum performances.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1342 on: October 01, 2014, 09:50:47 PM »
I just listened to Illumination Theory, admittedly on Youtube, with a bad internet connection.

:omg: :omg:

:|

:'( :'(

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

So. Fucking. Awesome. There are literally no words to describe the experience I just went through, other than those three.

"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1343 on: October 01, 2014, 10:01:16 PM »
Finished the second set....just a remarkable performance all around. What a great DVD.....this one may have just surpassed Budakon for me....

TheAtliator......I apologize if I came off to you rough a page or so ago....I know you were pointing out some things and I wasn't trying to be an  :censored  I just think with the way this performance went down with all of them just at the top of their game what's the big deal if James misses a note here or there.....they all actually missed a note here or there but it really didn't matter because they knocked this one out of the park. I guess by the time I read your post it was after reading a multitude of posts nit picking this DVD to death when if nit picking is what you're down for then it's probably best you never buy another DVD or CD...ever because they all are going to have something to nit pick.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1344 on: October 01, 2014, 10:03:58 PM »
I just listened to Illumination Theory, admittedly on Youtube, with a bad internet connection.

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

So. Fucking. Awesome. There are literally no words to describe the experience I just went through, other than those three.

Pretty awesome for a patchwork song supposedly made out of leftovers from the Systematic Chaos sessions. LOL

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1345 on: October 01, 2014, 10:07:08 PM »
I got my DVD in one piece, today.  I shall listen to it, tomorrow.  If not, Friday guarantee.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1346 on: October 01, 2014, 10:08:39 PM »

Pretty awesome for a patchwork song supposedly made out of leftovers from the Systematic Chaos sessions. LOL

What?  :huh:
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1347 on: October 01, 2014, 10:08:55 PM »
Yes IT was most definitely  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :metal :metal :metal :tup :'( :'(  :corn  :heart :heart :hefdaddy

Where's the list Atliator?  It sounds like a rookie mistake to make for such a high profile band.

About 19 posts up. It's on the last page in a gigantic post of mine. And yes, yes it is, and it's one they've repeatedly made now. It seems that whoever's job it was this time around was not familiar enough with the melodies of these songs to know what the notes were supposed to be. As opposed to the last time they made this mistake (CiM) where they pitch-corrected the whole thing automatically rather than manually fixing each individual note, which resulted in several notes being tuned to the wrong pitch.

TheAtliator......I apologize if I came off to you rough a page or so ago....I know you were pointing out some things and I wasn't trying to be an  :censored  I just think with the way this performance went down with all of them just at the top of their game what's the big deal if James misses a note here or there.....they all actually missed a note here or there but it really didn't matter because they knocked this one out of the park. I guess by the time I read your post it was after reading a multitude of posts nit picking this DVD to death when if nit picking is what you're down for then it's probably best you never buy another DVD or CD...ever because they all are going to have something to nit pick.

No, I totally get it. I wouldn't usually post something so negative sounding about something that I loved to death, without of course posting that I loved it to death first, so your response did kind of make sense. But I am the last person to complain about mistakes done by JLB, I have the opposite problem- I hate when they try to fix it up- especially when they do a bad job at it. Most definitely a knockout performance by everyone, my only nitpick is a production flaw.

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #1348 on: October 01, 2014, 10:11:21 PM »

So that's why that song leaves me colder than a Romanov down a mineshaft...

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1349 on: October 01, 2014, 10:14:19 PM »

What?  :huh:

You should read discussion threads involving IT. That one always pops up.  :lol

IT is the most epic live performance of DT on record. With the orchestra and choir, the artistic vision of the band for this song has been realized.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:39:40 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1350 on: October 01, 2014, 11:52:16 PM »
Mangini seems to be a lot more comfortable with the band, than in Luna Park. Minor things aside, i really like this live show!
Love that they did so many Awake songs, (Scarred and Lifting Shadows). :tup

Illumination Theory opened up in a whole new way with this release, and rest of the DT12 songs that i didn't care that much (Looking glass, Along for the ride) also sounded better.

Great release but i still prefer Live Scenes, Budokan and Score over this.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1351 on: October 02, 2014, 12:28:16 AM »
I got chills when they played the SFAM encore with the orchestra and the choir. Makes me think about what they could do with the entire SFAM album done that way.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1352 on: October 02, 2014, 01:00:03 AM »
@TheAtilator: Thank you for your comprehensive list.

Offline suedje

« Reply #1353 on: October 02, 2014, 01:09:24 AM »
Can somebody, who bouth the Bluray in the US, check the region of the disc? If it's region free, I will order it from the US, as Amazon has it for Usd. 14,88 which is unbelievable compared to the prices I see in the Netherlands (incl. shipping it is Usd. 10 cheaper from the US, I can wait a few days for this difference)
On Amazon.com it says "Region B/2" which is strange, as it is an American store, and Region B/2 is the european region for Bluray.
Thanks for the assistance.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1354 on: October 02, 2014, 01:43:42 AM »
@me7: Any time! lol

@suedje- I got mine from amazon and I'm in the US. I might be able to if you tell me how to check the region?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1355 on: October 02, 2014, 02:12:12 AM »
Atilator, have you checked on the bootleg to see how those notes were originally sung?
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline dtrocker25

« Reply #1356 on: October 02, 2014, 03:03:19 AM »
Ive seen  DT in Grand Prairie Texas several times over the last few years when they come thru ..i thought to myself when i saw them play SDOIT and other incredible songs that first time years back..im watching a machine perform at maximum peak level..This performance  reminds me of that night..THE DT MACHINE IN HIGH GEAR..INCREDIBLE

Offline suedje

« Reply #1357 on: October 02, 2014, 03:08:17 AM »
@me7: Any time! lol

@suedje- I got mine from amazon and I'm in the US. I might be able to if you tell me how to check the region?

Can you please check if it is mentioned on the package?
Or if you have a Bluray drive in your computer, it can be checked on the computer? (I know this can be done with dvd's, I'm not sure about Bluray discs)
Thanks

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1358 on: October 02, 2014, 04:24:34 AM »
Wow, I'm surprised they went through so much trouble with correcting some of LaBrie's notes, I guess they learned their lesson from Live at Budokan.  :lol I mean, that kind of stuff is always for better or worse, you never know how it's gonna work out, and it's a shame if some of the notes were tuned wrong...

Offline genome

--RIDICULOUS- "Lifting Shadows off a Dream" (the first chorus): "Dream" was tuned to A4 instead of F#4. NOT EVEN CLOSE. He does this F# with his signature breathy wide vibrato, which is supposed to give it the effect of sliding to a higher note, so whoever did this crap job misinterpreted and tuned it to the 5th of the chord rather than the 3rd. It's not musically wrong, just not what he sang, or what is actually in the song.

I actually noticed this was different as he did the same on one of the gigs I went to. He's just singing it differently. I think shifting the note up that far would be really obvious and robotic.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1360 on: October 02, 2014, 05:55:28 AM »
I noticed the pitch correction. It wasn't a big deal, but I noticed it.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Dear God, you'll never enjoy life if you nitpick like this.  It reads like the Unibomber's manifesto.
:lol

Actually, it was an interesting read. It's incredible that one can pick up on that. I sure as hell couldn't.

I've listened to a couple comparisons from the boot, and it's obviously embellished. That that's fine. Every live release is. This is still an incredible performance.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1362 on: October 02, 2014, 06:18:35 AM »
Can somebody, who bouth the Bluray in the US, check the region of the disc? If it's region free, I will order it from the US, as Amazon has it for Usd. 14,88 which is unbelievable compared to the prices I see in the Netherlands (incl. shipping it is Usd. 10 cheaper from the US, I can wait a few days for this difference)
On Amazon.com it says "Region B/2" which is strange, as it is an American store, and Region B/2 is the european region for Bluray.
Thanks for the assistance.

Maybe I am wrong but I thought there were no regions on blu-rays and that is just a DVD thing?  I know for my Epica blu-ray I bought it from amazon.uk because it was cheaper and it plays fine for me in the USA.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #1363 on: October 02, 2014, 06:31:07 AM »

I'm assuming this is a joke ? ? ?

As for the CD, just like when I saw them live I can't take my eyes of Mangini.  Portnoy was entertaining in his own way too but I don't get the group that think Mangini isn't just as entertaining in his own way.  Not to mention a heck of a player.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1364 on: October 02, 2014, 06:34:58 AM »
Illumination Theory on the Blu Ray may just be the most awesome thing I have ever seen performed live! The orchestra section moved me to tears. Yup I'm a geek.
In any event, this track alone made this purchase worthwhile.
I am making a feast for friends on Saturday night and having a viewing party!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi