Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 223009 times)

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
Re: Upcoming DVD of the Boston Performance (3-25-2014) BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL
« Reply #1120 on: September 29, 2014, 11:52:47 AM »
My copy arrived today as promised! I'm pretty sure I know what I'll be doing tonight. The only question is, headphones or surround sound system?  :)

Then there's no question, is there?  ;)
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Richard_P_Harvey

« Reply #1121 on: September 29, 2014, 12:02:15 PM »
How is it that you guys are getting this Bluray before it's released.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1122 on: September 29, 2014, 12:03:03 PM »
It's already released in parts of the world.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1123 on: September 29, 2014, 12:03:54 PM »
I've just realised that the back vertical line of the cube on the front cover is in front of the front-top-horizontal line (if that makes sense), and it's really messing my head up. :dangerwillrobinson:

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #1124 on: September 29, 2014, 12:11:36 PM »
Did Hugh Syme do the artwork?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1125 on: September 29, 2014, 12:12:06 PM »
Did Hugh Syme do the artwork?
Yeah, he did.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1126 on: September 29, 2014, 12:38:28 PM »
I've just realised that the back vertical line of the cube on the front cover is in front of the front-top-horizontal line (if that makes sense), and it's really messing my head up. :dangerwillrobinson:

It's kind of an Escher thing, an impossible figure. See Waterfall below for an example of Escher's work.

https://splashurl.com/l4mjbwd

I like the kind of work Syme did on the Fourth Wall cover.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #1127 on: September 29, 2014, 04:10:45 PM »
Just been watching snippets of this. Watched TEI and Enigma Machine. To be fair I watched it fairly quiet but it sounded awesome! I just wish they had put that initial curtain drop in after FAS but at least we got the full video  :metal :hat

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1128 on: September 29, 2014, 04:15:21 PM »
I ordered mine on august and it was shipped today, to be delivered tomorrow  ;D

BTW HDtracks will be releasing the album too  :metal

Has this been confirmed? I am looking for an official announcement.

Offline chudm

« Reply #1129 on: September 29, 2014, 04:34:22 PM »
I ordered mine on august and it was shipped today, to be delivered tomorrow  ;D

BTW HDtracks will be releasing the album too  :metal

Has this been confirmed? I am looking for an official announcement.

They posted it  on their facebook page (hdtracks)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 04:48:27 PM by chudm »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1130 on: September 29, 2014, 06:24:46 PM »
Just got paid £565 from work so buying this today and the new What's the story Morning Glory :)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1131 on: September 29, 2014, 06:34:02 PM »
Just got paid £565 from work so buying this today and the new What's the story Morning Glory :)

Wow...I didn't know What's the Story Morning Glory and Breaking the Fourth Wall were so expensive in the UK!  :eek

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #1132 on: September 29, 2014, 09:20:26 PM »
Got my copy today!

Everything that I think(the good and the bad) has pretty much already been said in the past 2 pages. There aren't really surprises here... It's the band on top of their game!  :metal

This is a killer show and the fans will really like it! I'm mainly happy to finally see a release where Mangini sounds great. A HUGE step up from Luna Park and the DT12 songs sound a lot better here than the album.

Highlights: The DT12 songs, The Shattered Fortress, Space Dye Vest

My biggest concern is that the orchestra is very quiet. The only time you can really hear them is during Illumination Theory when the band isn't playing. The choir sounds awesome.

This is a great release. It's in the top 3 DT live releases IMO. It's not as epic as SCORE and it doesn't have the cinematic feel that Budokan has but it's a great addition to the catalog and I know I'll be watching it a lot.  :corn

Offline dtrocker25

« Reply #1133 on: September 30, 2014, 12:37:09 AM »
is the digital album bundle a download or something shipped?

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1134 on: September 30, 2014, 01:03:22 AM »
is the digital album bundle a download or something shipped?

It's a download.

Offline Milzinga

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1135 on: September 30, 2014, 01:22:26 AM »
Ugh, I don't really want to order the whole CD/Blu-Ray set from RR, hopefully Best Buy has it in stock tomorrow, they did with LALP and I was able to pick up the whole set.

Offline dtrocker25

« Reply #1136 on: September 30, 2014, 01:59:25 AM »
Went to rr store..it should be available now..right..ordered  digital dl..all I get is the looking glass...didn't even look like it charged my card once it processed but it did..i checked my account..went to rr store..created profile to match my info when I ordered..i go to  my  downloadable products ..nothing...PISSED

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1137 on: September 30, 2014, 02:58:31 AM »
Cool to read about the exact financial situation of others on DTF. :coolio

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Jinx

« Reply #1138 on: September 30, 2014, 03:16:18 AM »
Went to rr store..it should be available now..right..ordered  digital dl..all I get is the looking glass...didn't even look like it charged my card once it processed but it did..i checked my account..went to rr store..created profile to match my info when I ordered..i go to  my  downloadable products ..nothing...PISSED

Checked your email?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1139 on: September 30, 2014, 03:18:48 AM »
Can I just say that this release is simply stunning sonically*?

*to my ignorant and untrained ears
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1140 on: September 30, 2014, 03:25:09 AM »
Gaaah, I want my copy now!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Jinx

« Reply #1141 on: September 30, 2014, 03:29:58 AM »
Can I just say that this release is simply stunning sonically*?

*to my ignorant and untrained ears

It looks amazing too. And you can hear the crowd!!  :coolio

Offline dtrocker25

« Reply #1142 on: September 30, 2014, 03:37:39 AM »
Jinx..i did..my order number only contained the looking glass mp3..is the digital bundle even a download..i was told it was earlier by someone here...

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1143 on: September 30, 2014, 04:09:59 AM »
Well my Bluray/CD order contained a downloadlink for the digital album. I didn't know you could buy the digital version separately.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1144 on: September 30, 2014, 04:49:55 AM »
Jinx..i did..my order number only contained the looking glass mp3..is the digital bundle even a download..i was told it was earlier by someone here...

Maybe it will be available once office hours start, so that it wont preempt the CD releases.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1145 on: September 30, 2014, 05:04:39 AM »

Wow...I didn't know What's the Story Morning Glory and Breaking the Fourth Wall were so expensive in the UK!  :eek

:biggrin:

Offline thedrumanimal

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1146 on: September 30, 2014, 05:37:56 AM »
Here are my 2 cents on the Blu Ray - I got it yesterday and watched it once.

For me, this is the best live DVD/Blue Ray/VHS we got from DT. Even though Score is something very special, this one is better for be because of the - for me - weaker first set on score. Yes I adore Budokan as well... but this... for me it is better!

Someone above posted that the orchestra is too quiet. I fully disagree. For me it is just perfect.

The drumsound is the best drumsound we had on a live release!
Even though I saw the show twice - seeing the drumming here makes me appreciate MM even more - the are so many subtle things going on, incredible!
For me JBL is sounding great. If there is pitch correction, it barely noticeable.
The cutting, the videos, everything is perfect...
... and then you come to the point when Illumination Theory starts....  :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:
I nearly shed a tear. THAT CHOIR!!!!!!!!!!!
All the songs with the orchestra and the choir lift the respective songs to a new level. IT and Finally Free are the highlights, but also Overture 1928 with the choir parts is simply amazing.

There are two thing which could have been better: Use the choir and the orchestra for the whole concert.

Second: Yes you can hear the audience. But from time to time when you HEAR the audience you really ask yourself - is that the audience I SEE??? They are cheering really loud - but visually nearly nothing is happening.

Besides this: Perfect Release.

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:19:45 AM by thedrumanimal »

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1147 on: September 30, 2014, 05:46:11 AM »
Just got my copy, started watching it, everything's roses as expected, then HOLY SHIT MIKE MANGINI standing up and hammering the cymbals at the end of the keyboard solo in The Shattered Fortress. Didn't expect something so Portnoy-esque from him, certainly got my blood pumping. Can't wait to see what else do we have in store. :corn

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1148 on: September 30, 2014, 06:35:59 AM »
No complaints by me!

The blu-ray sound is superb! I can hear everyone with out straining.

The surprises for me were:
1) The performance for The Shattered Fortress was very electric and one of the highlights of the first set. I'm usually not a fan of this tune.
2) After seeing the performance on this disc, I'm a new believer in Breaking All Illusions...holy shit, what an awe inspiring feast for the eyes and ears. I've always thought the song was good, but it just may be #1 after that.
3) Space Dyed Vest didn't make me get up and leave. Watching Mangini kinda made it fun and Jordan polished the boring off the tune.
4) Mangini and JLB were the stars of this show. The energy and stamina they projected is very inspiring for me.
5) In spite of everything said in this thread, the choir and orchestra were perfectly audible and were used exactly the right amount. It placed a nice layer of whipped cream with a cherry atop the awesomesauce just in time for the big finish!

The things that were awesome and came as no surprise were, Enigma Machine, Lie/The Mirror, Illumination Theory, and Finally Free.

I was completely energized by the show, just as if I'd been there but had much better seats than is humanly possible. This is now my favorite DT concert video...easily.

I'll always have a soft spot for the MP/JR duel on Budokan but some of the set list and parts of JLB's voice bring down that concert a lot. I'm not a fan of Score, sorry. The first set isn't my cup of tea and the orchestra is so out of tune with the band that it's unlistenable for me. Live Scenes isn't filmed very well and we're treated to way too much psychedelic graphics and spitting...although the music is sublime so that brings it up a lot.

All DT's concert videos are worthwhile having, but to me, this one is the most enjoyable, beginning to end!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1149 on: September 30, 2014, 06:36:39 AM »
Cancelled my amazon order and will be heading to best buy after work and then I will enjoy it later tonight!

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #1150 on: September 30, 2014, 06:58:04 AM »
I decided to let myself listen to one song on the way to work before watching the whole thing this evening.  I decided on SDV.  It sounded really, really good.  I just sat in my car when I pulled into work and let it play out.  Wow.  I'm excited about this release.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1152 on: September 30, 2014, 07:14:06 AM »
No complaints by me!

The blu-ray sound is superb! I can hear everyone with out straining.

The surprises for me were:
1) The performance for The Shattered Fortress was very electric and one of the highlights of the first set. I'm usually not a fan of this tune.
2) After seeing the performance on this disc, I'm a new believer in Breaking All Illusions...holy shit, what an awe inspiring feast for the eyes and ears. I've always thought the song was good, but it just may be #1 after that.
3) Space Dyed Vest didn't make me get up and leave. Watching Mangini kinda made it fun and Jordan polished the boring off the tune.
4) Mangini and JLB were the stars of this show. The energy and stamina they projected is very inspiring for me.
5) In spite of everything said in this thread, the choir and orchestra were perfectly audible and were used exactly the right amount. It placed a nice layer of whipped cream with a cherry atop the awesomesauce just in time for the big finish!

The things that were awesome and came as no surprise were, Enigma Machine, Lie/The Mirror, Illumination Theory, and Finally Free.

I was completely energized by the show, just as if I'd been there but had much better seats than is humanly possible. This is now my favorite DT concert video...easily.

I'll always have a soft spot for the MP/JR duel on Budokan but some of the set list and parts of JLB's voice bring down that concert a lot. I'm not a fan of Score, sorry. The first set isn't my cup of tea and the orchestra is so out of tune with the band that it's unlistenable for me. Live Scenes isn't filmed very well and we're treated to way too much psychedelic graphics and spitting...although the music is sublime so that brings it up a lot.

All DT's concert videos are worthwhile having, but to me, this one is the most enjoyable, beginning to end!
I pretty much agree with everything you said. I browsed through every song and my first impression is that this is their best live release ever. I also agree with JLB and MM being the stars of the show.

JLB highlights:
-loved how he changed up the melody at the "hidden by disguise" section in Trial of Tears, sounded so good, I listened to it half a dozen times. Many subtle changes in vocal melodies here and there, really enjoyable.
-the big one, "mothers for their children" section of Illumination Theory. He went for the highest notes (unlike on many other nights) and he nailed them with intense passion and raw power. It sent massive chills down my spine.

MM highlights:
-the drum sound is 10 out of 10, absolutely huge. The kick is fat, powerful and punchy, the snare cracks, the toms have great tone and they sing (unlike on DT12 where they were pretty much dead), the cymbals sound excellent and are mixed well and that octoban fill at the end of his drum solo...wow.
-the playing is energetic and incredibly fun to listen to and watch. Lot of smiling, standing up, headbanging. He interprets MP's parts this time with some really tasty and unique fills.

JR highlights:
-the keyboards are mixed louder compared to the studio counterparts of almost every song (especially DT12), that's an enormously stupendous plus.

With regards to the DT12, ADTOE and Awake songs (as well as TSF), I can safely say at this point that the definitive version of them are found on Breaking the Fourth Wall and it will be my go-to place whenever I want to listen to them, as opposed to the studio albums.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:22:35 AM by Sycsa »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1153 on: September 30, 2014, 07:17:44 AM »
Wow, 2 comments about the first set of Score being the weaker one  :huh:

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1154 on: September 30, 2014, 07:52:35 AM »
Good to see more opinions, will probably buy the BR next week  :metal

And btw, do they actually show Myung this time around? Maybe it was just me, but I feel I did not see him a lot in LALP.