Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 222947 times)

Offline daykrush

Re: Upcoming DVD of the Boston Performance (3-25-2014) BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL
« Reply #1085 on: September 28, 2014, 05:02:54 PM »
It's been a while posting something but i have to say something..... reading this thread the couple of last days.
I've been to four shows this tour, Begium, Amsterdam, Dusseldorf ( with aftershow thanks to my bro Stephen Art) and the Gelsenkirchen show on the second leg of the European tour.
Just watched the dvd and i was floored from beginning to the end.....
This is a true gem in DT history if you ask me.....and yes i love Budokan and Score, but hey..this is a new chapter....and still i'm reading complains about this release....was MP right with Never Enough ?........I do think so...( and no i'm not a MP lover (anymore) but reading what you guys are posting, i can't believe it.
Complains about no docu on this one.....what do you want to see more that they didn't show us on previous releases? Taking a shit?
"James sounds flat on song this and that and at that time" and JP sounds bla bla bla.....you guys are over-analizing every fart that DT makes.....be thankfull they released this beast!
It's fine to have an own opinion and it's fine to discuss what you don't like or what you like about a release but for most posts  i'm reading is complains about one thing or the other......
And no my post is not against all you guys complainig, but show the band some more love , feel blessed that they give you the oppurtunity to buy this release....support them.....

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1086 on: September 28, 2014, 05:12:57 PM »
Everything is constructive criticism, m8.

Also, please, don't use that "everything is never enough" card. It's silly. I spent 70+ dollars with this package, (being the 40+ dollars the RR package cost plus the international shipping), so you could affirm I am supporting the band.  :D I am thankful, very. Every time DT is on the verge of releasing a new DVD I get all excited and pumped like a little boy; and this time was no exception. It's just that one of the cool things about this place is that you can actually discuss things in a civilized manner and find people that will ultimately agree (or disagree) with you.

I'm glad you find it to be perfect. Really, good for you. I don't find it perfect and I just pointed out the reasons why, but either way I enjoyed the hell out of this DVD (and will continue to do so).
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1087 on: September 28, 2014, 05:41:45 PM »
OK, here's a maybe weird question: How much are they showing the audience?
I'm not really watching DT live DVDs these days, but if there's a good chance I might actually be in it (since I was on the balcony's front row), I might buy it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #1088 on: September 28, 2014, 06:14:27 PM »
Also, please, don't use that "everything is never enough" card. It's silly.

What's silly about the never enough card? I always found it to be pretty accurate to how things play out most of the time (not necessarily around here, but certainly sometimes). :lol

I suppose it's similar to the as i am card or the build me up break me down card as the artists have clearly written to us multiple times about these issues, but that won't stop us because we're in too deep. :P

It's normally all fun and games around here and there's nothing wrong with constructive criticism, in fact it can be healthy, of course all valid criticism is still an opinion generated from your own perspective. I agree with the nature of the rest of your post, I just wonder why you think think the never enough card is "silly"?  :)

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1089 on: September 28, 2014, 06:38:41 PM »
Anyone complain about the excessive pitch correction yet? Sounds like they cranked it up to 100 and left the room. Some notes were even shifted in the wrong direction. At least Score sounded like someone listened to the final product before they shipped it.

What is an excessive pitch correction? Maybe JLB really sang sharp on some notes and they did not corect it?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1090 on: September 28, 2014, 06:40:58 PM »
The problem with "Never Enough"  is, it was written by a guy who also posted pictures by his mansion with an enormous pool. It slightly undermined the whole thing.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #1091 on: September 28, 2014, 06:44:33 PM »
Anyone complain about the excessive pitch correction yet? Sounds like they cranked it up to 100 and left the room. Some notes were even shifted in the wrong direction. At least Score sounded like someone listened to the final product before they shipped it.

What is an excessive pitch correction? Maybe JLB really sang sharp on some notes and they did not corect it?

Well people complained that The Looking Glass and Strange Dejavu were saturated in pitch correction. Honestly, I don't agree because my perspective is that the pitch correction was really subtle and well done, never-the-less I guess people are wondering if the other songs are similar to the ones released on youtube prior to the DVD release. I'm guessing the answer is yes, they're similar. But no, it's not saturated anymore than say ADTOE or DT12 (which considering they're studio releases, probably have more  saturation <not the word I'd normally use> than these live releases anyway). But I'm prepared to retract any incorrect assumptions once I've seen it personally.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 06:59:11 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1092 on: September 28, 2014, 06:47:17 PM »
Nevertheless
Wondering

sorry.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #1093 on: September 28, 2014, 06:57:54 PM »
Ah...  Thank you.  :lol

But yeah, does the status of his personal life equate or take away from the appreciation/expectation scenario that exists for the fans of the music? You could argue MP got to that position thanks to the fans, but I still don't think that means MP (or any of the musicians) owe the fans anything specifically or personally because they already give back with their music. - Which sometimes generates negative reactions and lack of appreciation, can easily be associated with ungratefulness and begrudging resentment or spite based on an impersonal interaction that doesn't meet the fans expectations. Pretty silly isn't it?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1094 on: September 28, 2014, 07:02:43 PM »

Well people complained that The Looking Glass and Strange Dejavu were saturated in pitch correction. Honestly, I don't agree because my perspective is that the pitch correction was really subtle and well done, never-the-less I guess people are wondering if the other songs are similar to the ones released on youtube prior to the DVD release. I'm guessing the answer is yes, they're similar. But no, it's not saturated anymore than say ADTOE or DT12 (which considering they're studio releases, probably have more  saturation <not the word I'd normally use> than these live releases anyway). But I'm prepared to retract any incorrect assumptions once I've seen it personally.

I was actually wondering what marlencrabapple meant when he said that some notes were shifted in the wrong direction.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1095 on: September 28, 2014, 07:54:38 PM »
It's been a while posting something but i have to say something..... reading this thread the couple of last days.
I've been to four shows this tour, Begium, Amsterdam, Dusseldorf ( with aftershow thanks to my bro Stephen Art) and the Gelsenkirchen show on the second leg of the European tour.
Just watched the dvd and i was floored from beginning to the end.....
This is a true gem in DT history if you ask me.....and yes i love Budokan and Score, but hey..this is a new chapter....and still i'm reading complains about this release....was MP right with Never Enough ?........I do think so...( and no i'm not a MP lover (anymore) but reading what you guys are posting, i can't believe it.
Complains about no docu on this one.....what do you want to see more that they didn't show us on previous releases? Taking a shit?
"James sounds flat on song this and that and at that time" and JP sounds bla bla bla.....you guys are over-analizing every fart that DT makes.....be thankfull they released this beast!
It's fine to have an own opinion and it's fine to discuss what you don't like or what you like about a release but for most posts  i'm reading is complains about one thing or the other......
And no my post is not against all you guys complainig, but show the band some more love , feel blessed that they give you the oppurtunity to buy this release....support them.....

Dang dude.  Show the band some more love?  I guess my 1000 or whatever isn't enough love?  94% of them (approximately) are praising the band.  More love?  How many more thousands of dollars should I spend on the band?  It's NEVER ENOUGH!!!

But seriously, if you think we shouldn't over analyze then this probably isn't the place for you.  When we were talking about James singing flat, we were discussing it as a minor disappointment in an otherwise overly positive discussion.  When I was complaining about there not being a documentary, then yes, I will admit, I was hoping that they showed James taking a shit.  If you claim you weren't then you are lying to yourself and baby Jesus.  I would have settled for something more that showed more of them from the tour or backstage or a commentary.  Afterall, I did spend 60-70 bucks on the freakin' bluray/CD combo.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #1096 on: September 28, 2014, 10:06:35 PM »
The consumer thinks they have all the power because they wield the money that keeps the band in business. And in theory, this might be true because if we all stopped supporting the band then it might demonstrate the importance we have in DTs stability. But in reality, each individual doesn't automatically get the right to dictate what they expect and don't expect from the band just because they support them, I mean DTs already given you something that; for better or worse, is what it will be and so it's still a choice if the consumer continues to resonate with, and/or wants to continue supporting the band. So it's the collective fanbase that ultimately determines what DT is about though a feeback loop, which functions as a symbiotic relationship between artist and consumer. To further express what I mean here, it's a bit like voting; considering one vote is generally meaningless in the grand scheme, but the collective of individuals with their 1 vote, starts to reflect the collective consensus. What I'm getting at, is that I think Daykrush makes some fair points, even if it comes across as dismissal, and I thought the documentary comment was hilarious.  :lol

That being said, overanalysing and constructive criticism can easily be confused or misinterpreted as the same thing, and this is a place of discussion after all. Also, as Shepherd said; most of us are normally talking about minor details while generally appreciating the overall product.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 10:14:48 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1097 on: September 28, 2014, 10:10:03 PM »
Just for the record, this performance of Illumination Theory is Score-Octavarium-esque. It's perfect. This is worth the price of the Blu-Ray alone.

:metal
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1098 on: September 28, 2014, 10:29:34 PM »
Just for the record, this performance of Illumination Theory is Score-Octavarium-esque. It's perfect. This is worth the price of the Blu-Ray alone.

:metal

Well that's great to know  :tup
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1099 on: September 29, 2014, 01:32:06 AM »
Also, we finally get a live performance of Breaking all Illusion that is worthy of the song (after the disappointing LaLP). Another track that by itself is worth the price.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1100 on: September 29, 2014, 02:31:19 AM »
Well, I was the one who pointed out JLB's flatness at times (let's be honest, he's sometimes on the verge of being out of tune) BUT did it impair my experience? Not in the least! They could have corrected this and they didn't. For me, it adds to the live experience. And TBH, the rest is so awesome that this slight negative is drowned.

So, I will say it again, THANK YOU DT, it was one hell of a ride!

B.Lee

PS : on a side note, am I the one hearing something wrong with the ToT solo? I cannot exactly put my finger on it but still...
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1101 on: September 29, 2014, 03:10:36 AM »
Got this yesterday morning, slid into DVD player.
It’s an odd feeling, knowing what to expect from a DT live DVD. I’ve seen this show 3 times, so I know there’s going to be no setlist changes, no new arrangements, no extended improve jams. DT have become predictable and – dare I say it – boring.
What we do get is DT at the top of their game, playing with the clinical precision that only they can. While I do enjoy this side of DT, I hope they loosen up again for the next tour. So there’s no real surprises in the show, what about the disc?
Well, the picture is clear and sharp, with none of the lens flare and colour bleeding that affected Luna Park. I do wish they’d shoot these things on film instead of video though. Oh wait, showing my age there, it’s all shot on digital these days, isn’t it? Well, I wish they’d digitally grade these things to look like film rather than video. There’s a lack of “wide shots” of the stage/screen/lights, with the emphasis on shots of the band. Kind of odd, as the band are playing with one of the best stage productions they’ve taken on the road, you’d think they’d want to show it off more.
The audio is superb – a damn near perfect sound mix. It has that big, echo-y live sound the band have been going for on recent releases, the drums sound huge and booming, everything is clear in the mix, with lots of spaces in between. Lovely.
The orchestra and choir on Illumination Theory is just… well, words fail me. You have to hear this for yourself. The orchestra is tuned down a little for the encores, it’s still there but it doesn’t distract. It’s a nice touch, and used so much better than on Score.
And I’ve never really appreciated before just what a powerhouse vocalist JLB is.
So what we have here is the best DT live release since Budokan. Yes, the extras are a little light (I’d have liked to have seen the Enemy Inside video), but when the main course is this good, who really cares?
Only other quibble – no stand-alone CD!
10 out of 10.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1102 on: September 29, 2014, 03:56:45 AM »
The consumer thinks they have all the power because they wield the money that keeps the band in business. And in theory, this might be true because if we all stopped supporting the band then it might demonstrate the importance we have in DTs stability. But in reality, each individual doesn't automatically get the right to dictate what they expect and don't expect from the band just because they support them
Nobody is dictating anything. Some people have just expressed some disappointment over certain aspects, like the lack of a documentary.

Chill out.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1103 on: September 29, 2014, 08:10:28 AM »
So, how flat is JLB? Is he completely out of tune very often or just barely hitting the note every now and then? (as bad as Budokan or more like Luna park?). And are those compression-breathing sounds to a similar extent as LALP? Are the two vids released representative? Because those look and sound awesome to me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1104 on: September 29, 2014, 08:13:30 AM »
So, how flat is JLB? Is he completely out of tune very often or just barely hitting the note every now and then? (as bad as Budokan or more like Luna park?). And are those compression-breathing sounds to a similar extent as LALP? Are the two vids released representative? Because those look and sound awesome to me.

This.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1105 on: September 29, 2014, 08:21:50 AM »
My bigger problem isn't with JLB not hitting the note (in all fairness he's better here than he has been in ages) but with his diction - he reduces all the lyrics to "Blah blah blah whoa aaargh blah whoa blah who-o-o-o-oah!"
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Juular

« Reply #1106 on: September 29, 2014, 08:23:49 AM »
I got the Blu-ray on Saturday and I'm loving it.

Offline Juular

Offline nemonius

« Reply #1109 on: September 29, 2014, 09:15:20 AM »
Got my copy today, preordered on the first day. Absolutely love it!  :metal Up there with Score and Budokan.

+ Great sound (TrueHD), picture and general look
+ Choir and the orchestra
+ Setlist was great mix of old and new
+ Space-dye vest <3
+ Solid performance, almost made me wish a mistake for us mortals

Best of all, feels like I was brought back to the gig in Helsinki earlier this year. Great memories.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:55:58 AM by nemonius »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1110 on: September 29, 2014, 09:51:08 AM »
Thinking of canceling my amazon order and going to best buy tomorrow to get this.  Historically they have had DT DVD/Blurays the day of release.  Amazon is still saying estimated delivery is not until next week the earliest and I dont want to wait.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1111 on: September 29, 2014, 09:53:47 AM »
Amazon's estimated delivery says it's the 20th of October for me, haha.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1112 on: September 29, 2014, 10:11:55 AM »
My Amazon order says guaranteed by Sept 30th, but it hasn't even entered the shipping process. Same for Enchant's new disc.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #1113 on: September 29, 2014, 10:41:53 AM »
My Amazon order says guaranteed by Sept 30th, but it hasn't even entered the shipping process. Same for Enchant's new disc.
Don't be surprised if it suddenly shows up.  When I ordered some stuff (LALP may have been one) it was guaranteed for the release day and wasn't even showing as shipped.  But it showed up on the guaranteed day.  From my limited experience the guaranteed arrival days seems to make it somehow.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1114 on: September 29, 2014, 11:20:21 AM »
My only complaint would be that this poster's frickin' tiny for the money I spent.  :P
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1115 on: September 29, 2014, 11:24:45 AM »
I should have it by the end of the week.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline chudm

« Reply #1116 on: September 29, 2014, 11:26:46 AM »
I ordered mine on august and it was shipped today, to be delivered tomorrow  ;D

BTW HDtracks will be releasing the album too  :metal

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1117 on: September 29, 2014, 11:45:45 AM »
My copy arrived today as promised! I'm pretty sure I know what I'll be doing tonight. The only question is, headphones or surround sound system?  :)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Awaken

« Reply #1118 on: September 29, 2014, 11:51:49 AM »
BTW HDtracks will be releasing the album too  :metal

Just saw this too.  Really wish I knew about this before pre-ordering, would have much preferred this to mp3. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1119 on: September 29, 2014, 11:52:03 AM »
My copy arrived today as promised! I'm pretty sure I know what I'll be doing tonight. The only question is, headphones or surround sound system?  :)
I think you've gotta go surround sound, my friend   :metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.