Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 225064 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Upcoming DVD of the Boston Performance (3-25-2014) BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL
« Reply #735 on: September 15, 2014, 01:11:01 PM »
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT HEF!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #736 on: September 15, 2014, 01:16:37 PM »
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT HEF!
Sorry guys.

Look, I'll just have the orchestra and choir come to perform at your house.  Will that make it OK?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #737 on: September 15, 2014, 01:24:30 PM »
My house?

With or without DT?

Will Eren be there?

Do I have to put clothes on?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #738 on: September 15, 2014, 01:26:00 PM »
Yes.

Without.

No.

No.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: September 15, 2014, 01:29:16 PM »
Good. Because nothing beats listening to (orchestral) DT while naked.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #740 on: September 15, 2014, 01:32:39 PM »
Looks and sounds great. :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #741 on: September 15, 2014, 01:36:54 PM »
Good. Because nothing beats listening to (orchestral) DT while naked.

Looks and sounds great. :metal

Wow.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #742 on: September 15, 2014, 01:40:25 PM »
:lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #743 on: September 15, 2014, 01:41:04 PM »
 :lol

Kev, you should be honored.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: September 15, 2014, 01:41:39 PM »
:rollin

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #745 on: September 15, 2014, 01:42:12 PM »
 :lol :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #746 on: September 15, 2014, 01:48:24 PM »
:djhef:

Now it's a party.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: September 15, 2014, 01:49:44 PM »
And there go my pants.

:jackie:

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #748 on: September 15, 2014, 02:06:23 PM »
@ Bathroom, BRB.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #749 on: September 15, 2014, 02:15:22 PM »

Offline adamack

« Reply #750 on: September 15, 2014, 02:27:13 PM »
I can still barely hear the orchestra or the choir at all. It's like they're not even there. :/

I think people miss the the point of the orchestra.

Playing with an orchestra at a live show is not necessarily to have the orchestra assume any kind of lead role. It is rather an accompanying section to add environment and size.

The whole environment and ambiance that the orchestra adds to the mix makes the performance sound MUCH bigger.

Just because individual string melody lines may not be able to be picked out audibly does not mean that the orchestra is too low in the mix.

I guarantee that if someone were to totally mute the orchestra from this mix, you would be left with a much smaller sounding performance.

In other words, the orchestra is doing a LOT more than you think to the overall sound.

Side note, I have not posted here in almost a year! I have such phases with DT. I will listen to them every day for 4-5 months, but then take time off. Only to get back into them again, and repeat the cycle.

And finally....I absolutely love how Strange Deja Vu sounds!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #751 on: September 15, 2014, 02:37:31 PM »
I think people miss the the point of the orchestra.

Playing with an orchestra at a live show is not necessarily to have the orchestra assume any kind of lead role. It is rather an accompanying section to add environment and size.

The whole environment and ambiance that the orchestra adds to the mix makes the performance sound MUCH bigger.

Just because individual string melody lines may not be able to be picked out audibly does not mean that the orchestra is too low in the mix.

I guarantee that if someone were to totally mute the orchestra from this mix, you would be left with a much smaller sounding performance.

In other words, the orchestra is doing a LOT more than you think to the overall sound.
While this is perfectly sensible in principle, if that's all they were going for then they don't need an orchestra and choir, because Jordan can do all of that.

I also found both far too low in the mix in that song, except in one section about half way through or slightly later (can't remember exactly) when suddenly the strings became much more prominent, and then I thought it worked great.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #752 on: September 15, 2014, 02:40:57 PM »
Looks and sounds great to me! :metal I can hear the orchestra and choir just fine.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: September 15, 2014, 04:21:54 PM »
awesome video, excited for the blu ray/cd

Offline Xenon

« Reply #754 on: September 15, 2014, 05:29:01 PM »
There's one black guy in the choir headbanguin through the entire song lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #755 on: September 15, 2014, 05:38:58 PM »
I have a bit mixed reviews for the sound, at least the one of the new video. I think it lacks clarity, I.e. I find the sound somewhat mushy overall. I actually listened to the LSFNY version of the song right after to compare, and it sounds crisper.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Progressive Metal Fusion

• JLB: "We're Dream Theater, we can't stop!"
« Reply #756 on: September 15, 2014, 05:40:08 PM »
Only one thing: DAT COWBELL.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #757 on: September 15, 2014, 05:41:26 PM »
James is still a little low in the mix, but it seems better than TLG vid.  The performance is actually incredible and so much better than LALP.  James has so much control over his voice and what he can do with it these days.  It's great watching him being more comfortable and working with his voice as opposed it fighting against it and doing notes and phrasings that is a little unnatural at times.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Siddhartha

« Reply #758 on: September 15, 2014, 06:59:52 PM »
Wow

Now I´m really really hyped.

The song with the choirs and the orchestra sounds amazing. Everything is perfect.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #759 on: September 15, 2014, 07:09:27 PM »
Great video! The orchestra and choir weren't very loud, but added a nice ambience. I kinda forgot they were there at one point, but they don't overwhelm the rest of the band either.
The band mix sounded great, and I had no problem with JLB's mix. I would have liked the bass a little louder for the big slide into the second verse, but overall no complaints. Definitely better than LALP. It goes without saying that JLB sounded excellent. Much smoother and nicer than LSFNY.

Again, the backup vocals let it down slightly. JP wasn't at the mic for the earlier backups, then he was at the mix for the JLB backup vocals. It's never going to look right.

I always loved the faster tempo on the second half, so I was expecting that to sound plodding, but it sounded fine. I do prefer them to bust out the faster tempo, but this way still worked well. I loved JP's bonus guitar lick. :hat

Very excited for this DVD. And Australia apparently gets it earlier too. :biggrin: I hope they have it in stock on the release date.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: September 15, 2014, 07:21:51 PM »
Very excited for this DVD. And Australia apparently gets it earlier too. :biggrin: I hope they have it in stock on the release date.

I saw this too.  We had to wait quite a while for Luna Park, but this one seems to be looking like it will be in stock on release date, or there abouts.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #761 on: September 15, 2014, 07:25:37 PM »

I saw this too.  We had to wait quite a while for Luna Park, but this one seems to be looking like it will be in stock on release date, or there abouts.

JB Hifi didn't have it in stock on the weekend it was released (I think it was released on the Friday), so I had to order that one online. Hopefully they have this one in store on the release date, because they're usually very reliable for having DT on the release date. Luckily I have two JB's very close to me, so that improves my chances.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: September 15, 2014, 08:02:28 PM »

JB Hifi didn't have it in stock on the weekend it was released (I think it was released on the Friday), so I had to order that one online. Hopefully they have this one in store on the release date, because they're usually very reliable for having DT on the release date. Luckily I have two JB's very close to me, so that improves my chances.

I know, JB up here didn't have Luna Park for a couple of weeks after the release if I remember correctly.  I'm pretty confident we will get this one on time though.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #763 on: September 15, 2014, 08:18:12 PM »
There's one black guy in the choir headbanguin through the entire song lol
Yeah, at the show my dad was like "You can tell that's the one guy that's a fan of them."

I might steal my grandparents' subwoofer for this release.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #764 on: September 15, 2014, 09:13:41 PM »
I drug my heels about getting the bluray/3cd combo (some of you bastards are apparently good at copying the audio for that thing...me, I barely know how to use a computer) knowing I was going to buy it anyway.  Still pissed its an exclusive and the shipping charge sucks but after hearing Strange Deja Vu, I realized I needed this release IMMEDIATELY. 

Then the fuckers tacked on 3 dollars of tax in addition. 

Anyway, I love EVERYTHING about the performance....except I was worried throughout the whole thing that James would fall into the pit...or even people in the front row would fall. 

Offline Xenon

« Reply #765 on: September 15, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
I'm seeing them 3 days before the release date. I wonder if the dvd would be available at the merch store. I've seen this happening before, but not with DT. Anyone know about this?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #766 on: September 15, 2014, 10:05:01 PM »
My plan is to get the 2DVD set from Amazon, then eventually get the BR/3CD set from the RR store. I'm sure they won't sell out - they've NEVER sold out of DT stuff AFAIK, so I feel like I can wait a couple weeks before ordering it.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #767 on: September 16, 2014, 12:09:01 AM »
Holy hell! That was awesome. I'm even more excited about this release now :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #768 on: September 16, 2014, 12:24:48 AM »
Yep, nothing more that needs to be said than it already needs to be said about that video.  I also dig the overall vibe.  It looks a lot less stressful and less of the "trying to pull the epic but didn't reach it, but it's still good" than Score.  :tup
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 12:34:15 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #769 on: September 16, 2014, 02:46:43 AM »
Very nice! Looking forward to this. Looks and sounds very solid and the performance is great.