Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 225103 times)

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
They should seriously release this kinda stuff on DTF first as a test, let us nitpick it to death, and then fix everything that's "wrong" about it and release it to the rest of the world. xD

Exactly. If it's something we DTFers know it's how to nitpick about every little detail :lol

I had to add the "K" to fix your post . . . you know, just to be nitpicky  :biggrin:

Offline Madman Shepherd

I loved the ADTOE tour lighting.  Budokan was boring compared to that. 

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Yeah, I think the live ADTOE tour lightning was very cool; although it was captured poorly in Luna Park. On the other hand, as it has been mentioned already, Budokan has an amazing film-esque quality to it that makes it very pleasant to watch.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline fadetoblackdude7

Yeah, I think the live ADTOE tour lightning was very cool; although it was captured poorly in Luna Park.
Agreed, I liked the lighting on that tour, however the hexagon screens got a little irritating to watch after a while - the AFTR tour and a sharper look to it all around.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
I love John's harmony on "through the looking glass".
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released through my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios
www.starcommandstudios.com

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
So the Blu-Ray/3CD won't be widely available like Luna Park was? Awwww. I remember when CiM came out, it was hell finding the version with the CDs. How long's this special edition up for pre-order?
My 2 cents:
As this would be very bad for all FANS overseas (paying extra cost with customs etc) I guess at one point everything will be avaialble on Amazon and the like, as it Washington for LALP. I will wait....
From Rome, with love.

Offline Newspin

Are we sure that the "new" mix is the one that we will find on the entire DVD / BluRay?

Should the master mix not have been finished weeks before? The concert was due for release within 6 weeks of posting the initial video mix after all...  :-[

Offline JPX

Man I miss not having commentary - best part of the old DT live releases. I could listen to Scenes and LiT/5YiaL over and over because of the awesome commentary. Even MPs solo drum DVDs were great for the same reason.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Are we sure that the "new" mix is the one that we will find on the entire DVD / BluRay?

Should the master mix not have been finished weeks before? The concert was due for release within 6 weeks of posting the initial video mix after all...  :-[

I suspect it was a case of simply posting the incorrect, incomplete version of the video, and that the final mix was already done. I highly doubt they could have made such sudden changes this close to release in response to fans.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Unless they hear the 17 cries of DTF fans saying, "I can't here the keyboard."

You know controversy and such. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Rodni Demental

Oh, I think that's me!  :laugh:

I quite like being able to actually hear the keyboards and I'm not talking about it being this background noise crap, I wanna hear the details damnit! :P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
It's also a youtube clip and not a blue ray  5.1.

Hell I was there and the sound was muddled! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Rodni Demental

Fair point. If that's the case, I'm hoping the release mix will end up being the optimal version, perhaps even compared to the real thing.  :lol

A lot of people mentioned not being about to hear the strings and choir very well at the venue, so I'm optimistic that it'll sound amazing on blu-ray.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
The choir was real strong and I could hear them clearly.  The strings not so much.  I was just underneath the balcony so there was a lot of boncing going on.

Offline Milzinga

• DTF.org Alumni
The choir was real strong and I could hear them clearly.  The strings not so much.  I was just underneath the balcony so there was a lot of boncing going on.

Really? I was in the second row and I really couldn't hear either. I could sort of hear the orchestra on DoE and obviously IT but that's about it. I'm hoping on the dvd they come through much stronger. 

Offline The Letter M

I haven't seen an official track list yet, so this is my theory on the breakdown of the set list on 3 CDs:
Disc 1
False Awakening Suite
The Enemy Inside
The Shattered Fortress
On the Backs of Angels
The Looking Glass
Trial of Tears
Enigma Machine
Along for the Ride
Breaking All Illusions

Disc 2
The Mirror
Lie
Lifting Shadows Off a Dream
Scarred
Space-Dye Vest

Disc 3 (with the Orchestra & Choir)
Illumination Theory
Overture 1928
Strange Déjà Vu
The Dance of Eternity
Finally Free

The first disc would run at about 73-75 minutes long, while the second would be about 40-45, and the third 45-50, depending on how much time they keep between songs, and the pre-encore applause/chanting, etc. etc.

If they cut out a lot of the between-song time, they could have easily sandwiched everything into 2 CDs, but I think they would've wanted to keep the Awake stuff all on one disc, and all the accompanied stuff on the last disc, which is fine by me. Hopefully the BR/3CD sets don't sell out from their website because I'm not sure I can pre-order quite yet. We'll see how much money I get on my next paycheck on the 3rd and how much will be left over after I pay rent.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Really? I was in the second row and I really couldn't hear either. I could sort of hear the orchestra on DoE and obviously IT but that's about it. I'm hoping on the dvd they come through much stronger.

I think most people know depending on where you are in the room you can pick up different sounds.  The Choir came through clear where I was.

Offline Smartiejj

I found a picture of the backside op de Blu-Ray. Don't know if it's been posted before...

https://www.eci.nl/images/active/carrousel/fullsize/0016861753634_back.jpg

Offline theaterdream

Re: Upcoming DVD of the Boston Performance (3-25-2014) BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL
« Reply #613 on: September 01, 2014, 07:13:09 AM »
Sounds promising. TLG streaming release looks and sounds great. Why do you think the bluray release of this one is more than LP? LP can be found under $14. It was that price as preorder and still is. This one is around $20.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #614 on: September 01, 2014, 07:35:08 AM »
Probably because it's new.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #615 on: September 01, 2014, 11:45:43 AM »
He's saying that LP was that price as preorder. When it was still new.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #616 on: September 01, 2014, 01:04:32 PM »
He's saying that LP was that price as preorder. When it was still new.
Oh.

Huh.  Not that I recall.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #617 on: September 01, 2014, 08:50:11 PM »
BR is now listed at $16.99 on Amazon (USA).
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #618 on: September 02, 2014, 07:56:39 AM »
Breaking the Fourth Wall is the #1 in the "Music Video and Concerts" category on Amazon!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959141011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #619 on: September 02, 2014, 08:27:20 AM »
I really hope they release another single, just like they did with Luna Park (they released both Pull me Under and On the Backs of Angels) before the release date.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #620 on: September 02, 2014, 08:53:24 AM »
If that's the case, The enemy inside or Along for the ride would be my candidates.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #621 on: September 02, 2014, 09:26:07 AM »

There was two HUGE disappointments with this show, and I mean huge. Let me first say, that this was a great show, and had it been in Philadelphia I would have been more than pleased, and I'm still happy with the rest of my trip and all, but my GF and I made this trip because of the specialness of this show. What we got was guests that were underutilized and not heard. At times the chorus could be made out, but the strings were non-existent except for playing on their own during IT. And several of the Awake songs would have been stellar with even a few strings, so why in the world would they bring this all together and only bring them out at IT? I assume things will be better on the blu-ray, but from a live perspective, the "awe factor" from Score outdid this show 10x. The orchestra was powerful, you felt all the different sections, they truly lifted already amazing songs to entirely new levels right before your eyes.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #622 on: September 02, 2014, 10:18:46 AM »
Going into the concert, I thought for sure they would be playing the entire second set.  Those Awake songs just made so much sense to get the strings/choir addition.  I understand it takes a lot for the band to get that going while on tour, but it seems like a wasted opportunity.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #623 on: September 02, 2014, 10:31:44 AM »
Could be that DT thought of the choir/orchestra idea relatively late and maybe they didn't have enough time to prepare/rehearse with them for all of the songs.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #624 on: September 02, 2014, 10:35:25 AM »
I really wish the orchestra and choir stands out and works well. In Score it mars several songs with the off-pitch performances.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #625 on: September 02, 2014, 12:13:12 PM »
I'm glad they didn't use the orchestra on the Awake songs.  It'll be nice to get live versions of the entire back half of the album without the orchestra cluttering it up.  Those songs are all great as is.  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #626 on: September 02, 2014, 12:24:49 PM »
JP's solo at the end of Space Dye Vest is one of the best solos I've heard from anyone, anywhere. Seriously.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #627 on: September 02, 2014, 01:18:31 PM »
JP's solo at the end of Space Dye Vest is one of the best solos I've heard from anyone, anywhere. Seriously.

Thats a big statement!  You've heard alot of guitar solos Tim.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #628 on: September 02, 2014, 02:34:03 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlKwWbQtWMg&t=2m14s

Best version I've ever heard!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #629 on: September 02, 2014, 10:55:43 PM »
So I just received the download link for TLG, and damn does it sound awesome. It seems like I won't regret spending ~75€ on preorders :2metal: