Author Topic: NFL thread 2014 v. Frankford Yellow Jackets Lay the Pipe on the Dayton Triangles  (Read 283643 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: NFL thread 2014 v. Big Ben Lays the Pipe on All Comers
« Reply #2065 on: November 05, 2014, 08:52:37 AM »
Again, it's only sports fans. No one thinks their support of a band or a movie allows them to consider themselves part of the organization that made said product
Yes, that's right.

Not sure what the problem is.  Sports fandom (in America, anyway) has always been like this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2066 on: November 05, 2014, 09:41:56 AM »
In a competition, it's one side vs the other.  It's not like that way in movies or music.  So, in a competition, it's natural camaraderie to refer to the collective "us", even if it's just in support and not actual participation.

Strangest pet peeve ever.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2067 on: November 05, 2014, 10:17:07 AM »
In a competition, it's one side vs the other.  It's not like that way in movies or music.  So, in a competition, it's natural camaraderie to refer to the collective "us", even if it's just in support and not actual participation.

Strangest pet peeve ever.
Ding ding
Spot on

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2068 on: November 05, 2014, 10:22:47 AM »
Kotowboy hacked Jaq's account.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2069 on: November 05, 2014, 10:25:09 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2070 on: November 05, 2014, 10:28:31 AM »
I personally don't find cheering for a team means I get to be part of the actual organization. The vast amount of sports fans I know don't either, it's just people who are seriously devoted to a team that do it.

The "we" people are actually the oddity, you just don't realize it because you're too attached. I used to be a fanatical sports fan who lived and died by what the teams I liked did and didn't do. And I realized one day that my rending my clothes and pulling out my hair when the Cowboys lost or the high fives I gave friends at bars watching games didn't change a fucking thing about the results on the field. That's why I'm not part of "we." Because I'm not playing the game.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2071 on: November 05, 2014, 10:53:04 AM »
But you're cheering the team on, whether from your living room or there at the stadium. I mean come on the Seahawks have the "12th man" I think that says it all in how much teams consider their fans part of the game.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2072 on: November 05, 2014, 10:55:15 AM »
Exactly.

And that may be more the norm in your community, but around here, the "we" is definitely the norm.  I find it is also more prevalent among people who actually attend games (or wish they could afford to do so) rather than just people who watch on TV.

Avoid it if you want, no worries, but I see no reason to react negatively to fans who do that.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2073 on: November 05, 2014, 11:30:52 AM »
Fans definitely have a right to say "we". In fact, I would say fans are more a part of the team than even the players themselves. This gets down to the fundamental question of what really makes an organization.

Think of it this way: Do you stop being a fan because players change? Coaches? Front office? Do you stop being a fan if the current owner sells the team? Go look at your favorite team now, and then go and wikipedia the page of the team three seasons ago. Most likely, there are more new faces on the team than players and coaches you rooted for just a few years ago.

I would argue that FANS are the only real constant in sports. Everything else is a revolving door. That's why, if you're a true fan, you don't quit being a fan a find a new team to root for just because you don't like the current QB, or GM, or owner. That's why a true fan will stick with a team through good and bad, as players, coaches, front office personnel, and owners come and go. So, yes, fans ARE entitled to say "WE" and, in fact, fans may be the ONLY people entitled to say "WE" for the longhaul. Every other facet of a team is essentially a hired gun, supposed to be working toward bringing fans a successful franchise.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2074 on: November 05, 2014, 11:33:16 AM »
I didn't even realize I said "we" until it was pointed out.  I rarely do it, but I guess in this instance, it just felt right. ;) :lol

My beef is with the sports fans who bust out "we" when their team wins, but go with "they" when they lose.  It's like they are claiming more ownership after a win. :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2075 on: November 05, 2014, 11:51:07 AM »
We are Groot.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2076 on: November 05, 2014, 11:52:54 AM »
Fans definitely have a right to say "we". In fact, I would say fans are more a part of the team than even the players themselves. This gets down to the fundamental question of what really makes an organization.

Think of it this way: Do you stop being a fan because players change? Coaches? Front office? Do you stop being a fan if the current owner sells the team? Go look at your favorite team now, and then go and wikipedia the page of the team three seasons ago. Most likely, there are more new faces on the team than players and coaches you rooted for just a few years ago.

I would argue that FANS are the only real constant in sports. Everything else is a revolving door. That's why, if you're a true fan, you don't quit being a fan a find a new team to root for just because you don't like the current QB, or GM, or owner. That's why a true fan will stick with a team through good and bad, as players, coaches, front office personnel, and owners come and go. So, yes, fans ARE entitled to say "WE" and, in fact, fans may be the ONLY people entitled to say "WE" for the longhaul. Every other facet of a team is essentially a hired gun, supposed to be working toward bringing fans a successful franchise.

Great post.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2077 on: November 05, 2014, 12:46:10 PM »

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2078 on: November 05, 2014, 01:47:53 PM »

Great post.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2079 on: November 05, 2014, 05:29:03 PM »
No offense bosk, but the 49ers are not a top 3 team. They barely are in the top 16 at the moment, imo
I just objectively weight what I see.  Sorry if you are so influenced by your 49er hate that you can't be more objective.

You've got to be kidding?!?!  You are so influenced by your homer-bias, it's not even laughable anymore. A 4-4 team with more points against than points for is the third best in the league?? 

If we were just looking at record, we could just look at standings rather than power ranking.  But a few of you seem to be forgetting that in each of 3 losses, they played well enough to win and were only 1 play away from a win.  Change 3 plays and you have a 7-1 team, which would give them the best record in the league.  Sorry, but I have to put a team that is only 3 tough breaks away from the best record in the league up near (but still not at) the top.

But given your insolent tone, I am now moving them up to #2.  Wanna keep pushing it?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2080 on: November 05, 2014, 05:46:41 PM »
No offense bosk, but the 49ers are not a top 3 team. They barely are in the top 16 at the moment, imo
I just objectively weight what I see.  Sorry if you are so influenced by your 49er hate that you can't be more objective.

You've got to be kidding?!?!  You are so influenced by your homer-bias, it's not even laughable anymore. A 4-4 team with more points against than points for is the third best in the league?? 

If we were just looking at record, we could just look at standings rather than power ranking.  But a few of you seem to be forgetting that in each of 3 losses, they played well enough to win and were only 1 play away from a win.  Change 3 plays and you have a 7-1 team, which would give them the best record in the league.  Sorry, but I have to put a team that is only 3 tough breaks away from the best record in the league up near (but still not at) the top.

But given your insolent tone, I am now moving them up to #2.  Wanna keep pushing it?

There's also a bunch of 'what if' scenario's that could've led them to lose another game or two as well.  But if you base your rankings on what might have happened, instead of what actually happened, that's cool... I can start making some ban-worthy posts, and just say "but what if I hadn't posted that"?  :lol

Either you're (still) trolling now, or you're totally serious.  Either way,

:backupslowly:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2081 on: November 05, 2014, 05:51:40 PM »
Either you're (still) trolling now, or you're totally serious.   

Actually it's both. He's totally seriously trolling! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2082 on: November 05, 2014, 05:54:05 PM »
Most games end with one team being only a few tough breaks away. Niners are middling. They could put themselves in a position where they weren't losing games based on a few plays by, ya know, playing good to begin with  :loser:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 06:01:59 PM by Skeever »

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2083 on: November 05, 2014, 06:38:56 PM »
Miami would beat San Fran right now :D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 06:48:04 PM by Jamesman42 »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2084 on: November 05, 2014, 06:42:20 PM »
Some of you seem to be forgetting why the 49ers are so almost-universally loved in this country.  But I can understand it, since those complaining are either Canadian or too young to have lived through and paid attention to the '80s.  The 49ers gave us SO MUCH in the '80s and early '90s.  I mean, they basically just GAVE US the '80s to begin with.  I'm not even sure that decade would have existed at all without the 49ers.  If you look at the years they had their dynasty, it becomes apparent that they caused MOST of the good things that happened during that time period.  To summarize just a few, we had:  the rise of Journey, the Reagan administration, the falling of the Berlin Wall, the Miracle On Ice, the first female Supreme Court Justice, Martin Luther King Day is officially observed for the first time as a federal holiday in the United States, and on and on and on.  Once they began their decline, we had the Clinton administration, grunge, etc. I think we should just tell the 49ers "thank you" and just leave it at that.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 07:56:04 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2085 on: November 05, 2014, 06:50:45 PM »
I've never really thought of myself as someone who "hates" the Niners, but if you're going to say they brought us Journey and Reagan, I think I might have to start hating them now.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2086 on: November 05, 2014, 06:56:11 PM »
And the Rubik Cube.  Now, I'm hating the 49ers.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2087 on: November 05, 2014, 06:57:10 PM »
..and 80's Rush! ;D

Seems to me that once they started their decline, we got Dream Theater!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2088 on: November 05, 2014, 06:59:26 PM »
Defriended

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2089 on: November 05, 2014, 07:00:18 PM »
All while the mighty Hefdaddy oversees it all, and blesses us with Joe Flacco MVP

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2090 on: November 05, 2014, 07:02:11 PM »
In this topic bosk sounds like a homeless crazy tinfoil man  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2091 on: November 05, 2014, 08:50:52 PM »
Cleveland was thisclose to winning two of their three losses, so, since they could be 7-1, I am moving them to number 1 in the power rankings.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2092 on: November 05, 2014, 09:10:21 PM »
You missed Y&T in there Bosk. Somehow I'm sure the 9rs were responsible for them. If you had mentioned them, I might've though you were still being serious. :jets:

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2093 on: November 06, 2014, 01:23:47 AM »
By bosk's rationale, the Saints are 7-1 and deserving of top 5 status due to three of their losses being by a total of 5 points and them leading in the final two minutes of each.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2094 on: November 06, 2014, 04:26:26 AM »
Speaking of, the Raiders were simply a shot down the field or a bad call away from winning a lot of their games this year. It's nice to see a team that normally sucks 5-3 and playing competitive this year  :biggrin:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2095 on: November 06, 2014, 06:56:29 AM »
I now hate the 49ers.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2096 on: November 06, 2014, 07:56:35 AM »
You missed Y&T in there Bosk. Somehow I'm sure the 9rs were responsible for them. If you had mentioned them, I might've though you were still being serious. :jets:

Bah!  Foiled by Y&T yet again!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2097 on: November 06, 2014, 09:29:46 AM »
There's no more point in denying it Andrew Luck is the best QB in the NFL. Wish he wasn't a Colt... but it is what it is.

I never get into these agruements .  Just that who is in the elite category and both are including P Manning & . Mr. Discount double check.  Ben is also very close.

Ben's had a hell of a run (much like Flacco's 2012 postseason run), but to me, neither are elite, and never will be. Still two very good QBs and two of the toughest in the modern era.

The numbers say otherwise (a lot of football fans think looking at stats is not macho I guess). Remember Ben has been hamstrung for years by a stubborn, outdated organization philosophy of ground and pound "Steeler" football. This despite the fact that in his rookie season he had a 66% completion pct while leading the league in yards per attempt. He never got to average at least 30 throws per game until his 6th season.

YARDS PER COMPLETION (CAREER)
12.4 Ben
12.4 Rodgers
11.8 Peyton
11.7 Brady
11.4 Brees

A whole yard is a LOT on this kind of scale.

YARDS PER ATTEMPT (CAREER)
8.2 Rodgers
7.9 Ben
7.7 Peyton
7.5 Brees
7.4 Brady

Ben takes too many sacks because he holds on to the ball too long, but even after adjusting for that he is ahead of Brees & Brady. They are all in the mid-90's for career passer rating except Rodgers who is over a 100. All this info is easily available on ProFootballReference.com

COMPLETION PCT (CAREER)
66.1 Brees
66.0 Rodgers
65.5 Peyton
63.6 Ben
63.5 Brady

That's right, over their whole careers even though Ben throws a longer average pass his completion % is still higher than Brady's. Guys like Flacco and Eli are nowhere near this group. Romo and Rivers are, but unlike Flacco and Eli they haven't succeeded in the playoffs. Ben is a member of the Big 5. He is an elite passer despite never having dominators like Gronk, Megatron, Moss etc to throw to. Finally he is off the leash.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2098 on: November 06, 2014, 09:43:22 AM »
That's great info Dream Team. I've long felt that Big Ben has been far overlooked in his era.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2099 on: November 06, 2014, 09:43:35 AM »
Cleveland was thisclose to winning two of their three losses, so, since they could be 7-1, I am moving them to number 1 in the power rankings.

:lol

I now hate the 49ers.

I use to hate them when they were playing good.  Now, it's been upgraded to "dislike".  The Cards are in "hate" status right now.  :lol

..and 80's Rush! ;D

Seems to me that once they started their decline, we got Dream Theater!

Hey!!  80's Rush kicked ass!  :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White