Author Topic: 2014-01-15 - Coliseu do Porto - Porto, POR  (Read 105034 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: 2014-01-15 - Coliseu do Porto - Porto, POR
« Reply #630 on: January 15, 2014, 05:28:33 PM »
Very interesting setlist! Surprised that only 6 albums were represented tonight, but I guess with the Awake and SFaM anniversaries, it makes sense. I'm curious to know if the songs were played like the album versions or were there any changes, whether minor or significant other than MM doing a drum solo in EM.

Did......... did DT just play a whole show with no IAW songs? Is there a precedent for that?
There is one other show that did not have any IaW songs in the setlist that I am aware of, because MP had brought it to my attention after a game of "what makes this setlist significant?" The show in question was the Washington DC ProgNation 2009 show. And actually, not only was it a show without any IaW songs, but it consisted strictly of JR-era songs. Incidentally, MP had not written the setlist that way intentionally (so that it was just JR-era tracks) but that's how it came out. Anyhoo, back to tonight's show....
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #631 on: January 15, 2014, 05:30:04 PM »
Did......... did DT just play a whole show with no IAW songs? Is there a precedent for that?

Yes.  WDADU tour.

Even then, Metropolis was played at two shows. ;)
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #632 on: January 15, 2014, 05:30:53 PM »

Yes.  WDADU tour.

Oh bosky. :bosky:

Come on, Bosk, I thought you were better than that  :lol

When Dream and Tour Unite
10/14/1989  Bay Shore, Long Island, NY

(previous show)  (return to list of shows)  (next show)

Venue:  Sundance
Other Act(s):  No other act(s) or unknown.

Set List: 
      Distant Echoes (intro tape)
1.  A Fortune in Lies
2.  Mission: Impossible/
3.  Afterlife
4.  Metropolis Part I
5.  Light Fuse and Get Away
5.  To Live Forever (w/ band intros)
6.  Ytsejam (w/ drum solo)
7.  bass and guitar solo jam
8.  The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
9.  Status Seeker
10.  Only a Matter of Time (w/ reggae section)
~~~encore~~~
11.  blues vocal doodle
12.  The Killing Hand
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline genome

« Reply #633 on: January 15, 2014, 05:31:14 PM »
I'm sure they will rotate one or two songs in.

A whole world tour without playing their biggest hit? Yeah right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #634 on: January 15, 2014, 05:32:56 PM »
There is one other show that did not have any IaW songs in the setlist that I am aware of, because MP had brought it to my attention after a game of "what makes this setlist significant?" The show in question was the Washington DC ProgNation 2009 show. And actually, not only was it a show without any IaW songs, but it consisted strictly of JR-era songs. Incidentally, MP had not written the setlist that way intentionally (so that it was just JR-era tracks) but that's how it came out. Anyhoo, back to tonight's show....

Thanks to Setlist Scotty for the facts! Not being a regular DT show, you could even possibly discount that. That certainly makes this setlist unique.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #635 on: January 15, 2014, 05:33:21 PM »
They're definitely not going to stick with this set for the entire touring of DT12. The other 3 DT12 songs will be played, as well as some from every other album, including probably most of I&W. I can see them performing the rest of the SFAM/Awake songs as well.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #636 on: January 15, 2014, 05:35:16 PM »
I'm extremely sad. I was hoping for the return of any of the following: In the Name of God, Octavarium, A Change of Seasons, The Killing Hand.

I love these songs on their own, but I like variety in a concert setlist. Mostly everyone else seems pretty happy. Am I alone in my sadness?

This apparently is the Awake/SFAM/DT12 tour. Sorry for being a debby-downer for those who loved the set.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline genome

« Reply #637 on: January 15, 2014, 05:35:34 PM »
Plus, how boring would it be for them to play for 3 hours, every night, with the same songs, in the same order? I can't see it.

I can't wait to see Finally Free live though... I love the ending, especially here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eccyGk5UFY&t=5m25s

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #638 on: January 15, 2014, 05:37:19 PM »
The Mirror
Lie
Lifting Shadows Off a Dream *faints yet again *
Scarred *and again *
Space-Dye Vest *and again*
Illumination Theory
Overture 1928
Strange Déjà Vu
Dance of Eternity
Finally Free

And that was it. I am very pleased with what we got.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #639 on: January 15, 2014, 05:38:13 PM »
Bydgoszcz,Hamburg,Frankfurt=2009,i was there,and they not play anything from Images.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #640 on: January 15, 2014, 05:38:33 PM »
No youtube videos yet? Disappoting.  :P
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline haceeb

• When you surrender to the light, You can face the darkest days
  • I am bent, not broken
« Reply #641 on: January 15, 2014, 05:39:21 PM »
woohoo i loved the setlist  :tup

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #642 on: January 15, 2014, 05:40:25 PM »
To quote JLB from Score, "THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE!!!!" If they played this setlist at my NYC show, I'd be more than satisfied. However, I wouldn't mind them swapping out some ADTOE songs for the rest of DT12.
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #643 on: January 15, 2014, 05:42:34 PM »
Interesting setlist indeed and some fine choices. They'd better document this whole SDV thing on an official release is all I'm gonna say!

Except that I wouldn't have minded seeing some 6DOIT but that's what set rotations are for. :biggrin:

Offline genome

« Reply #644 on: January 15, 2014, 05:42:59 PM »
The Mirror
Lie
Lifting Shadows Off a Dream *faints yet again *
Scarred *and again *
Space-Dye Vest *and again*
Illumination Theory
Overture 1928
Strange Déjà Vu
Dance of Eternity
Finally Free

And that was it. I am very pleased with what we got.

Good show?

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #645 on: January 15, 2014, 05:44:15 PM »
VERY interesting setlist IMO... they played all "the side 2" of Awake. Maybe also the "side one" will be played later on this tour? :corn
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #646 on: January 15, 2014, 05:44:33 PM »
That's undeniably an interesting setlist, I like it!

Does anyone know if JP used his new Majesty guitar?

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #647 on: January 15, 2014, 05:45:10 PM »
And now we wait for the Youtube videos.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #648 on: January 15, 2014, 05:45:31 PM »
VERY interesting setlist IMO... they played all "the side 2" of Awake. Maybe also the "side one" will be played later on this tour? :corn

I know some people who would be extremely upset if that was the reason they missed SDV  :lol
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #649 on: January 15, 2014, 05:45:44 PM »

Yes.  WDADU tour.

Oh bosky. :bosky:

Come on, Bosk, I thought you were better than that  :lol

When Dream and Tour Unite
10/14/1989  Bay Shore, Long Island, NY

(previous show)  (return to list of shows)  (next show)

Venue:  Sundance
Other Act(s):  No other act(s) or unknown.

Set List: 
      Distant Echoes (intro tape)
1.  A Fortune in Lies
2.  Mission: Impossible/
3.  Afterlife
4.  Metropolis Part I
5.  Light Fuse and Get Away
5.  To Live Forever (w/ band intros)
6.  Ytsejam (w/ drum solo)
7.  bass and guitar solo jam
8.  The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
9.  Status Seeker
10.  Only a Matter of Time (w/ reggae section)
~~~encore~~~
11.  blues vocal doodle
12.  The Killing Hand

I DID NOT SAY THE ENTIRE TOUR!  :rant:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #650 on: January 15, 2014, 05:48:55 PM »
See you guys in the Madrid thread tomorrow night for any rotation possibilities.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #651 on: January 15, 2014, 05:49:19 PM »
 :tup

Offline genome

« Reply #652 on: January 15, 2014, 05:49:36 PM »

Search for DT and filter videos to where the upload date was in the last hour, and refresh every now and then.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #653 on: January 15, 2014, 05:49:40 PM »
I'm extremely sad. I was hoping for the return of any of the following: In the Name of God, Octavarium, A Change of Seasons, The Killing Hand.

I love these songs on their own, but I like variety in a concert setlist. Mostly everyone else seems pretty happy. Am I alone in my sadness?

This apparently is the Awake/SFAM/DT12 tour. Sorry for being a debby-downer for those who loved the set.

But...dude...I mean, no set list is going to make everyone 100% happy.  But come on!  If you like a lot of those songs, what is there to be sad about?  They are obviously trying to do something cool by promoting two important anniversaries, playing some VERY rare tracks, and throwing in a couple of never-played-before tracks--all while still accomplishing the goal of heavily promoting the new album.  You can't put personal preferences aside and appreciate that?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #654 on: January 15, 2014, 05:51:21 PM »

Search for DT and filter videos to where the upload date was in the last hour, and refresh every now and then.

I like to arrange by upload date, which has the disadvantage of ignoring relevance, although it does give you the very latest videos in an order that's easier to follow over time.
I don't usually expect any videos until the next morning after the gig when people get around to uploading them, but hopefully we'll get some sooner!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #655 on: January 15, 2014, 05:52:56 PM »
Assuming they keep much of the setlist the same, this will be the third time I've seen the The Mirror/Lie combo, and I couldn't be happier. Love those two together. Lifting Shadows and Scarred are two Awake songs that have grown on me in recent months, so can't wait to see those. And Trial of Tears! Great setlist overall.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #656 on: January 15, 2014, 05:54:00 PM »

But...dude...I mean, no set list is going to make everyone 100% happy.  But come on!  If you like a lot of those songs, what is there to be sad about?  They are obviously trying to do something cool by promoting two important anniversaries, playing some VERY rare tracks, and throwing in a couple of never-played-before tracks--all while still accomplishing the goal of heavily promoting the new album.  You can't put personal preferences aside and appreciate that?

When you put it like that  :lol I'm just very OCD and much prefer a setlist like Score where a song was played from (at the time) every album. I even have a tally of how many songs I've seen live from what albums, and luckily, if this set does remain the same, I will get to check off my last two checkmarks (the very obvious DT12, and FII finally).

Yeah, I guess I'm being a big baby. Thanks for the reality check.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #657 on: January 15, 2014, 05:54:21 PM »
How did Finally Free end, did they play the coda like in LSFNY? Did Petrucci play an outro solo as in the 'Making Of' CD?

Offline Bogie

« Reply #658 on: January 15, 2014, 05:54:31 PM »

A handful of shows on that tour didn't have any I&W songs. Boston on that same tour (the night after DC) was similar in nature.

Just sayin'. ;)

Offline krands85

« Reply #659 on: January 15, 2014, 05:54:37 PM »

You're not alone, I'm also a bit bummed out (and surprised) by that set - I'll definitely be disappointed if I get the same one in Manchester. Aside from Trial of Tears and Illumination Theory, the only other song from my top 15-20ish DT tracks is BAI - which I saw on the last tour. Surprised they dedicated over 20minutes to ADTOE songs. Nothing from my 2 favourite albums (I&W and ToT) either,  and like you, I was hoping for 8VM/ItNoG/ACOS - so there's a good chance I'll still not have seen any of my top 4 DT tracks live after this tour  :'(

Anyway, that's just personal preference - you can't please everyone with the setlists and plenty of people seem to be very happy with it. I'm sure the guys put on an amazing show as always and we'll just have to see what sort of song rotation they do.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #660 on: January 15, 2014, 06:00:10 PM »
Well it's 1am here, I'm calling it a night. 18 pages within three or four hours - good work, people.

Offline JayTor2112

« Reply #661 on: January 15, 2014, 06:01:18 PM »
How long was the show?  Just doing a rough addition of the song lengths in my head, this comes to around 2 1/2 hours, not much longer than a usual set with an opening act.  Did they stretch the songs out to make it a 3 hour show or something?
Hopefully Surrender to Reason will make it into another setlist.  But scarred alone makes this one a winner, probably my personal favorite DT song.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #662 on: January 15, 2014, 06:03:36 PM »
No complaints here even though they didn't play I & W songs. I doubt the whole tour will be bereft of songs from said release.  I still think they are playing ACOS right now and no one is telling us.   ;D

Offline FrostbiteZ

« Reply #663 on: January 15, 2014, 06:08:26 PM »
Fan-fucking-tastic concert. The crowd fantastic. The band were amazing. I had hoped for octavarium or in name of god to be on the setlist, but I take what I can get :)
Maybe they will show up on the next

I have started uploading IT and with any luck should it be uploaded before I have to check out :biggrin:

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #664 on: January 15, 2014, 06:10:36 PM »
Interesting set list... Kind of expected more DT12, but they went the album anniversary-heavy set list direction. Can't complain though, there are some great songs there!

Curious to see if the set changes tomorrow night. Also really looking forward to YouTube videos!!!