Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 259188 times)

Offline PowerSlave

Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #2975 on: July 04, 2016, 12:59:48 AM »
There are much worse episodes in the series. At least he didn't say that he liked a fistful of datas...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2976 on: July 04, 2016, 01:01:30 AM »
There are much worse episodes in the series. At least he didn't say that he liked a fistful of datas...

That is preferable. At least silly Data is entertaining on some level.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2977 on: July 04, 2016, 02:54:20 AM »

That is preferable. At least silly Data is entertaining on some level.

For me, every time that one of the series tried to have a cowboys/western themed episode they failed miserably. One of the worst episodes of Enterprise (before it went of the rails towards the end) was cowboy/western themed as well. I can't remember the name of the specific episode, but it dealt with discrimination against an alien culture. It failed on every level.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2978 on: July 04, 2016, 03:21:00 AM »

Fistful of Datas is nothing compared to Naked Now from season 1, or that one in season 7 where Wesley drops out of starfleet to become a jedi master.

Those 2 episodes still make me want to vomit!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2979 on: July 04, 2016, 04:36:37 AM »
I sigh a bit when I start watching an episode and realise it's going to be one of those episodes where something happens to a person...

...then when someone else investigates - it happens to them. And so on.

Oh look this starship is drifting and everyone on board died of old age.

YOU WONT BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT !!!! :yawn:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2980 on: July 04, 2016, 08:32:41 AM »
It was also one of those " it was all a hallucination " episodes yet they got the answers they needed within the hallucination and "saw" things that they shouldn't even know about.

I hate " it was all a dream " stories when we ( the audience ) see things that the protagonist inside the dream does not.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2981 on: July 04, 2016, 10:29:15 AM »
:rollin.  TNG episode "Rascals" .

When they beam aboard the Enterprise and they're kids. Guinan's hat has shrunk too :rollin.

Would it be too weird to have them beam back as kids in full size uniforms ?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2982 on: July 04, 2016, 10:56:27 AM »
Also - whenever the Enterprise has alien intruders - that capture the crew - I don't know why Picard or Riker can't just say

" Computer - beam all intruders to the brig "

:lol

They get captured so easily.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2983 on: July 04, 2016, 12:26:23 PM »

Fistful of Datas is nothing compared to Naked Now from season 1, or that one in season 7 where Wesley drops out of starfleet to become a jedi master.

Those 2 episodes still make me want to vomit!

At least The Naked Now had a hot Tasha Yar and Picard's awesome "Not now Beverly!".
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2984 on: July 04, 2016, 12:50:37 PM »
Ha ha, true!  That sound Picard makes when he *just about* loses his control -- sounds somewhere between a hrumph! and clearing his throat and maybe choking just a little bit -- is great.

I always thought Denise Crosby was medium-hot at best, but she does look good here.  And the best part of about her encounter with Data is the payoff, a season and a half later, when Data gets to tell Captain Louvois (the JAG lady) under oath that he and Tasha "were intimate" and we see just the tiniest squirm, more of a minor readjustment really, from her as she considers this.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2985 on: July 04, 2016, 04:08:29 PM »
"The Drumhead".

Love these episodes. When someone is an absolutely horrible person and only wants to satisfy themselves and do anything to get it.

You really hate that person and love when it backfires on them.

Satie reminds me of that Bajoran bitch from DS9. You're supposed to hate them.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2986 on: July 04, 2016, 04:14:46 PM »
Ha ha, true!  That sound Picard makes when he *just about* loses his control -- sounds somewhere between a hrumph! and clearing his throat and maybe choking just a little bit -- is great.

Yea, Picard is really great in an otherwise horrible episode. I'd actually love to see that moment in the script. I just want to see what Sir Patrick read that made him say "Ah yes, I know exactly what sound to make".
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2987 on: July 04, 2016, 04:31:50 PM »
Another bitch in Silicon Avatar. :lol

They do like writing uptight old women on Star Trek.  :biggrin:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2988 on: July 04, 2016, 06:41:41 PM »
Also - whenever the Enterprise has alien intruders - that capture the crew - I don't know why Picard or Riker can't just say

" Computer - beam all intruders to the brig "

They get captured so easily.
I was always amused by how easy it was to steel a shuttlecraft. Even kids have no problem getting away.

"Sir, there'a an unauthorized shuttle launch in progress."
"Well stop it!"
"Too late sir."
"Seal the hangar bay doors!"
"Too late sir."
"Tractor beam."
"Too late, sir, he's out of range."
"Lay in a pursuit-"
"Main engines offline, sir."
"Arm photon torpedoes"
"He's gone to warp sir. We lost him."
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2989 on: July 04, 2016, 10:07:29 PM »
"Sir, there'a an unauthorized shuttle launch in progress."
"Well stop it!"
"Too late sir."
"Seal the hangar bay doors!"
"Too late sir."
"Tractor beam."
"Too late, sir, he's out of range."
"Lay in a pursuit-"
"Main engines offline, sir."
"Arm photon torpedoes"
"He's gone to warp sir. We lost him."

Yep.  Every time.   :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2990 on: July 05, 2016, 07:03:27 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2991 on: July 05, 2016, 02:25:38 PM »
‘Star Trek’ Comic-Con Panel: Actors From Every Series Promote New Show

That's interesting.  Hopefully the panel will give some actual information on the show, and not be a 50th Anniversary circle jerk.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2992 on: July 05, 2016, 02:52:30 PM »
I like who they picked.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

Offline Adami

« Reply #2994 on: July 06, 2016, 01:40:42 PM »
I like who they picked.

Me too, but I have a feeling it's more of a "Hey guys, we'll pay you to go up there and promote the show that you know almost nothing about."

I hope it's more than that, not that I'll be able to see it anyway haha.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2995 on: July 06, 2016, 01:59:00 PM »
Oh it is but I still love to hear the stories.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2996 on: July 06, 2016, 04:02:42 PM »
Here's a question.

" The Inner Light ".

Would you prefer they'd stayed on the planet in Picard's head for the entire episode until the very end then the big reveal or jumping back and forth to the Enterprise like they did ?

I think having the entire episode on the planet would have been cool. It would have been like " How is this going to end ? ! "

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2997 on: July 06, 2016, 04:24:51 PM »
The ending is the only part of the episode that feels awkward.  I know what they were going for, but it doesn't quite work.  That said, I'm not sure having it be a "big reveal" would have been better.  It still comes down to how well it is written.

One thing I love about the way it's presented now is that first cut to what's happening on the Enterprise.  We've been following Picard as Kamin for a while already, but when they cut back to the Enterprise, Picard has just fallen and they're calling sick bay.  That threw me for a loop.  Then after years have passed on the planet, we cut back to the Enterprise and it's only been like ten minutes.  Kamin's life has been compressed, and Picard lives it in 25 minutes.  I like getting thrown like that, having to figure out what's going on instead of having everything spoon-fed to me.  Maybe that's what bugs me about the ending.  For the sake of the lowest common denominators out there, they have to completely explain everything.  I mean, come on.  Picard: "Oh... oh, it's me... isn't it? I'm the someone. I'm the one it finds. That's what this launching is – a probe that finds me in the future!"

It seems like they could have made it just a bit more interesting, have the viewer work at least some of it out themselves, which would lead to a sense of accomplishment and thus greater satisfaction in the story overall.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2998 on: July 06, 2016, 04:26:55 PM »
Yeah we already know Picard is the one that the probe finds - we're reminded of it constantly.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2999 on: July 06, 2016, 04:29:25 PM »
Also in " Starship Mine " when Data is imitating that talkative commander and he pokes Will Riker - it sounds like Frakes laughs for real.

EDIT : And it also stars Tim Russ as Not Tuvok.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3000 on: July 06, 2016, 05:00:01 PM »
The ending is the only part of the episode that feels awkward.  I know what they were going for, but it doesn't quite work.  That said, I'm not sure having it be a "big reveal" would have been better.  It still comes down to how well it is written.

One thing I love about the way it's presented now is that first cut to what's happening on the Enterprise.  We've been following Picard as Kamin for a while already, but when they cut back to the Enterprise, Picard has just fallen and they're calling sick bay.  That threw me for a loop.  Then after years have passed on the planet, we cut back to the Enterprise and it's only been like ten minutes.  Kamin's life has been compressed, and Picard lives it in 25 minutes.  I like getting thrown like that, having to figure out what's going on instead of having everything spoon-fed to me.  Maybe that's what bugs me about the ending.  For the sake of the lowest common denominators out there, they have to completely explain everything.  I mean, come on.  Picard: "Oh... oh, it's me... isn't it? I'm the someone. I'm the one it finds. That's what this launching is – a probe that finds me in the future!"

It seems like they could have made it just a bit more interesting, have the viewer work at least some of it out themselves, which would lead to a sense of accomplishment and thus greater satisfaction in the story overall.
Yeah, I agree. The first cut-back to the enterprise was the mindfuck. Once that's done then the rest is just a nice story. And I think I've mentioned it before, but JLP winding up with the flute was a silly contrivance. How did they know to put it in the probe? What if he'd displayed a fondness for painting instead?

And Non-Tuvok shows up several times. I think he was on DS9 at some point, and also in one of the movies.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3001 on: July 06, 2016, 05:10:11 PM »
Kamin's flute was a silly contrivance, but I like it.  Picard can now play that instrument because he lived Kamin's life.  That's a bit more of their culture living on than they'd bargained for.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3002 on: July 06, 2016, 08:23:31 PM »
And Non-Tuvok shows up several times. I think he was on DS9 at some point, and also in one of the movies.

Yep, he was a Klingon in the episode where they're trying to steal the Dax symbiote. And it was Generations he showed up in. He was also in the running to play the part of Geordi Laforge. I'm glad he didn't get that part, because he's so perfectly suited to playing Tuvok.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #3003 on: July 07, 2016, 03:08:09 AM »
I wonder what we're going to get at Comic-Con, aside from a fun panel telling us how great it's gonna be. :biggrin:
A picture or video clip of a ship? Design concepts and test makeup of a new alien species? Cast names? Anything else? :justjen

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3004 on: July 07, 2016, 10:37:48 AM »
World Premiere in Sydney tonight !!

Offline Adami

« Reply #3005 on: July 07, 2016, 07:36:50 PM »
World Premiere in Sydney tonight !!

Of what?

Also, the new Sulu is gay, and ironically, George Takei is not a fan.

And last but not least, I was suddenly reminded of one of my favorite Data moments. "To know him was to love him, and to love him was to know him. Those who knew him, loved him, and those who didn't know him, loved him... from afar."
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3006 on: July 07, 2016, 07:41:43 PM »

I agree with Takei. I'm all for a gay character in the Trek universe, and expect and hope the new show addresses it, but tacking it onto an existing character with no history of being a gay character just because Takei is gay, is kind of lame. It appears as if it will be handled well enough, but the situation makes it feel token. They've had two whole movies already in the reboot to address this, but this wasn't even intended for reboot Sulu until now. They've tacked this in after the fact.
I have no problem with a gay character, or that it's Sulu, but this feels misplaced to me. That said, it doesn't really bother me. It's not like Sulu was a womanizer in TOS, or in the reboot, but they could have just as easily created a new gay character.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 07:50:45 PM by BlobVanDam »

Offline Adami

« Reply #3007 on: July 07, 2016, 08:12:42 PM »

I agree with Takei. I'm all for a gay character in the Trek universe, and expect and hope the new show addresses it, but tacking it onto an existing character with no history of being a gay character just because Takei is gay, is kind of lame. It appears as if it will be handled well enough, but the situation makes it feel token. They've had two whole movies already in the reboot to address this, but this wasn't even intended for reboot Sulu until now. They've tacked this in after the fact.
I have no problem with a gay character, or that it's Sulu, but this feels misplaced to me. That said, it doesn't really bother me. It's not like Sulu was a womanizer in TOS, or in the reboot, but they could have just as easily created a new gay character.

To be fair, it's not like him being gay will matter at all in the movie. There will be one scene where he either mentions his husband or introduces someone to his husband who will be like "woah...okay....fair enough" then that will be it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3008 on: July 07, 2016, 08:18:59 PM »
I know. It's not going to affect the impending trainwreck one way or another. :biggrin:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3009 on: July 07, 2016, 09:15:57 PM »
I agree with all that.