Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 259199 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #2905 on: June 25, 2016, 01:15:17 PM »
Of course. I mistyped and confused the issue for everybody. Sorry. I meant STC rather than STB. Fucking acronyms. How do they work. My point was that the folks behind ST Continues are still very likely supporting themselves by doing what they are. As I've said, they're just doing so on a much smaller scale and with far more courtesy.

STC is registered as a non profit organization, with public records of funds, and they don't get paid for their time, and they even funded the first episode themselves out of pocket for over $100k. They've probably lost money on it if anything. There is a huge difference between STC and Axanar. Axanar has hired everyone to work, the main guy is paying himself a steady salary from the money so he doesn't have to otherwise work, and they've been selling their own Trek merch, and they've used the money to hire studio space for other ventures. They're leeches.

The first episode of STC is my least favourite btw. Too idealistic and hokey. The second episode is probably my favourite.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 01:25:09 PM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2906 on: June 25, 2016, 01:30:03 PM »
Of course. I mistyped and confused the issue for everybody. Sorry. I meant STC rather than STB. Fucking acronyms. How do they work. My point was that the folks behind ST Continues are still very likely supporting themselves by doing what they are. As I've said, they're just doing so on a much smaller scale and with far more courtesy.

STC is registered as a non profit organization, with public records of funds, and they don't get paid for their time, and they even funded the first episode themselves out of pocket for over $100k. They've probably lost money on it if anything. There is a huge difference between STC and Axanar. Axanar has hired everyone to work, the main guy is paying himself a steady salary from the money so he doesn't have to otherwise work, and they've been selling their own Trek merch, and they've used the money to hire studio space for other ventures. They're leeches.

I believe nonprofits still get to support themselves, though. You can open up a charitable, nonprofit Save The Dingos Foundation and pay yourself to do it. You just have to account for the money and pay yourself reasonably. Same thing with churches. Father Chester isn't expected to work for free. I get the distinction between Axanar and STC in that regard, and I can see how it would ruffle some feathers. I just don't think that in reality it's all that different, if Axanar can justify where the money goes.

The first episode of STC is my least favourite btw. Too idealistic and hokey. The second episode is my favourite.
I was actually going to ask, but I wanted to watch one during lunch and there's not telling when you'd get back. I tend to think it's always 0400 last Thursday down where you are.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2907 on: June 25, 2016, 07:00:08 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2908 on: June 25, 2016, 07:01:09 PM »
One of the few fictitious candidate possibilities that I would vote for without hesitation and would actually make the country....nay, the world a better place.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2909 on: June 25, 2016, 07:15:52 PM »
Sure would. Great time to own that shirt.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2910 on: June 25, 2016, 11:49:40 PM »

I believe nonprofits still get to support themselves, though. You can open up a charitable, nonprofit Save The Dingos Foundation and pay yourself to do it. You just have to account for the money and pay yourself reasonably. Same thing with churches. Father Chester isn't expected to work for free. I get the distinction between Axanar and STC in that regard, and I can see how it would ruffle some feathers. I just don't think that in reality it's all that different, if Axanar can justify where the money goes.

The first episode of STC is my least favourite btw. Too idealistic and hokey. The second episode is my favourite.
I was actually going to ask, but I wanted to watch one during lunch and there's not telling when you'd get back. I tend to think it's always 0400 last Thursday down where you are.

It's actually 0400 next Thursday, thank you very much. :blob:
Vic from STC has outright said none of them are getting paid salaries. I don't know if that includes extras like the big guests stars or just the regulars, I can't claim to account for every single dollar, but the point is they certainly aren't doing it to profit themselves as a business venture. It's a labour of love. And they're not selling merch or DVDs or paying themselves to not have to work any other job, etc.
I admit there's a lot of room for grey area, but the intent of STC is simply to make the fan film and they've respected CBS's wishes at every step, while Axanar is copyright abuse for profit by a known conman who has declared bankruptcy multiple times.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2911 on: June 26, 2016, 06:53:29 PM »

It's actually 0400 next Thursday, thank you very much. :blob:
Vic from STC has outright said none of them are getting paid salaries. I don't know if that includes extras like the big guests stars or just the regulars, I can't claim to account for every single dollar, but the point is they certainly aren't doing it to profit themselves as a business venture. It's a labour of love. And they're not selling merch or DVDs or paying themselves to not have to work any other job, etc.
I admit there's a lot of room for grey area, but the intent of STC is simply to make the fan film and they've respected CBS's wishes at every step, while Axanar is copyright abuse for profit by a known conman who has declared bankruptcy multiple times.
The area's gray enough that I don't see the stark distinction you do, but such is life.

Out of curiosity, is Axanar still producing the full length feature? Seems that Paramount has dropped their civil suit, but I'm not sure what that means going forward.

Surprised you found E1 too idealistic and hokey but not E2. The first one was mostly fluff, but the second one was After School Special level preachiness. Kept expecting Tasha Yar and Wesley Crusher to walk out and deliver a heartfelt lecture on the evils of slavery. Honestly, I thought they were both decent right up until the final 5 minutes when they turned sappy as hell. The mirror universe episode was pretty entertaining, but at this point it's seeming like an awful lot of fan wank. I'd say that the set and production is quite good. The acting is awful. The writing is good at a script level, plenty of good dialogue, but pretty week at the story level.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #2912 on: June 26, 2016, 07:02:39 PM »
Bart, you are confusing the hell out of me. I just skimmed through some STC, and I was on board with what you're saying until you mention what sounds like a typical TNG bash. Then I was totally lost.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2913 on: June 26, 2016, 07:45:34 PM »
Bart, you are confusing the hell out of me. I just skimmed through some STC, and I was on board with what you're saying until you mention what sounds like a typical TNG bash. Then I was totally lost.
Remember one of the very first TNG episodes where one planet gets another planet hooked on some dope that only they can produce? They run through the DARE drugs are bad PSA on the bridge? The second STC is just about as heavy-handed.

Overall, I'd recommend watching one or two of them. It's not awful and at times it's entertaining enough. It just requires some suspension of disbelief to buy into the main cast. I did really like Lou Ferigno in the second episode. However, when he's the best actor you've got to put out there it's a pretty bad sign.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #2914 on: June 26, 2016, 07:48:24 PM »
Oh you were just comparing them. My bad. I was skimming through the episode and was like "wait....no Tasha or Wesley....."
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2915 on: June 27, 2016, 01:05:35 AM »
Out of curiosity, is Axanar still producing the full length feature? Seems that Paramount has dropped their civil suit, but I'm not sure what that means going forward.

They never dropped the suit, that was JJ talking out of his ass that got repeated over the net. Paramount was trying to settle out of court, but knowing the idiots at Axanar, it appears that obviously won't happen, so I'd say their squishing like bugs is still pending. There's zero chance they'll get the movie done, especially now they've destroyed fan films entirely.

I'm now convinced you don't like any Trek unless it has a healthy dose of '60s sexism and ideals.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2916 on: June 27, 2016, 01:13:46 AM »

They never dropped the suit, that was JJ talking out of his ass that got repeated over the net. Paramount was trying to settle out of court, but knowing the idiots at Axanar, it appears that obviously won't happen, so I'd say their squishing like bugs is still pending. There's zero chance they'll get the movie done, especially now they've destroyed fan films entirely.

I'm now convinced you don't like any Trek unless it has a healthy dose of '60s sexism and ideals.

I don't think Barto likes any of the ideal stuff. He seems to prefer the conflict based trek with very flawed characters etc. Luckily, DS9 did that brilliantly, so there's something for everyone. :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2917 on: June 27, 2016, 08:05:00 AM »
Another trailer for Beyond-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MBXBMkcUNo

I hope there was no important audio past the halfway point, because it's bad enough suffering through a Beyond trailer, let alone having to listen to Rhianna with it. :P
Basically more of the spoilery Enterprise crashing sequence, and holy explosions Batman.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2918 on: June 27, 2016, 08:39:27 AM »
Like Adami suggested, I just don't like preachy and sappy. While I do like conflict, I really like the ethical variety. That's why I wanted to like the TSC stuff; they seem to get that.

And contrary to what Kowtow seems to think, I like mos of ST, even TNG.
E.F. Benson

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2919 on: June 27, 2016, 11:55:11 AM »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2920 on: June 27, 2016, 12:26:17 PM »
I like that the folks in Riverside just made that up. The only thing anybody knows is Iowa, so they figure "hey, why don't we just say it was our town?" First come, first serve. That makes me chuckle for some reason.
E.F. Benson

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2921 on: June 27, 2016, 01:02:02 PM »
Ha, I didn't realize that.  I remembered Iowa, but wasn't sure if it was specified any further than that.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #2922 on: June 27, 2016, 02:18:27 PM »
I didn't get any indication that ST6 era was off the table, but one can hope. The best thing they could do is go post VOY/NEM.

Sorry, that was in another link:
https://trekcore.com/blog/2016/06/bryan-fuller-shoots-down-two-star-trek-2017-rumors/

Post VOY would be the obvious choice of course. Post Khitomer conference would have been very bold and daring and interesting for many reasons I posted before.
But as long as they get the right tone and a certain level of quality I'm sure I'll be happy.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2923 on: June 27, 2016, 02:19:51 PM »
I just want it to be 15 years since Nemesis so that the TNG crew can cameo before they start popping off.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2924 on: June 27, 2016, 02:28:34 PM »
I want it to be set in the 1960's before we had space travel and it's just a bunch of nerds in a room talking about how cool it would be.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2925 on: June 27, 2016, 02:36:48 PM »
I like the 50's better when an African American couldn't put his name on the comic.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2926 on: June 27, 2016, 02:42:54 PM »
wtf is going on

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2927 on: June 27, 2016, 02:57:50 PM »
wtf is going on

You miss what episode I'm hinting at?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2928 on: June 27, 2016, 02:59:57 PM »
i've barely seen any TOS.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2929 on: June 27, 2016, 03:01:54 PM »
DS9

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2930 on: June 27, 2016, 03:03:59 PM »
I've seen slightly more DS9 :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #2931 on: June 27, 2016, 03:18:23 PM »
I like the 50's better when an African American couldn't put his name on the comic.

An entire show based around that hallucination. Yes. Love it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2932 on: June 27, 2016, 03:43:23 PM »

An entire show based around that hallucination. Yes. Love it.
Which, of course, came pretty close to being what happened. Although I suppose if they'd gone that route, the entire franchise would have been part of Benny's story.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2933 on: June 27, 2016, 03:54:19 PM »
Just posting to say that this thread might as well be in Spanish. I don't know WTF anyone is talking about! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2934 on: June 27, 2016, 03:58:10 PM »
You shame us Tim.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2935 on: June 27, 2016, 04:18:32 PM »
Set phaser on "shame". ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2936 on: June 27, 2016, 04:29:23 PM »
Looking forward to

Wagon Train To The Stars 13 !

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2937 on: June 28, 2016, 01:17:42 AM »
I didn't get any indication that ST6 era was off the table, but one can hope. The best thing they could do is go post VOY/NEM.

Sorry, that was in another link:
https://trekcore.com/blog/2016/06/bryan-fuller-shoots-down-two-star-trek-2017-rumors/

Post VOY would be the obvious choice of course. Post Khitomer conference would have been very bold and daring and interesting for many reasons I posted before.
But as long as they get the right tone and a certain level of quality I'm sure I'll be happy.

Greetings...
Nef

Thanks for the link. I'm shocked that one got past me. :lol
So far, the show is actually more and more shaping up to be what I'm hoping for, so I'm somewhere between indifferent and cautiously optimistic now. Trek has always worked best on television, so I would hate for them to mess this up.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2938 on: June 28, 2016, 08:43:15 AM »
Finally hit my breaking point with STC. Made it halfway through the 4th episode and turned it off in disgust. Shame, as I actually liked what they were trying to do. They'd have great ideas but fail to pull them off, or they'd do a great job at executing a poor idea. And always too much callback to TOS episodes. I like that they're willing to redo bits of it with the new actors, the mirror universe episode actually worked, but this was way over the top.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2939 on: June 28, 2016, 08:44:28 AM »
Ah.

If only they were doing it for fun and weren't making any money off it...