Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 260050 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #2765 on: May 20, 2016, 08:45:26 AM »
I'm with Blob. 
Me too.  I saw SDID once, and I will never make that mistake again.

You are right ! Seeing SDID was indeed a mistake ! :neverusethis:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2766 on: May 20, 2016, 08:58:34 AM »
...yeah, that's what I said.

I mean, obviously, it was a mistake for me.  That doesn't mean it was necessarily a mistake for anyone else.

It would be a mistake for some people to pick a fight with Dwayne Johnson.  But that doesn't mean it would necessarily be a mistake for, say, Jason Statham to pick a fight with him.  Mistakes don't have to be universal.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2767 on: May 20, 2016, 09:05:29 AM »
...yeah, that's what I said.

I mean, obviously, it was a mistake for me.  That doesn't mean it was necessarily a mistake for anyone else.

It would be a mistake for some people to pick a fight with Dwayne Johnson.  But that doesn't mean it would necessarily be a mistake for, say, Jason Statham to pick a fight with him.  Mistakes don't have to be universal.

He was referencing your typo. You said SDID, when it should be STID.

I know, I know.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2768 on: May 20, 2016, 09:07:46 AM »
I'm just going to give hef the benefit of the doubt, and assume he was cleverly referring to it as Star Dreck. :neverusethis:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2769 on: May 20, 2016, 09:09:27 AM »
You don't mess with Hef Kong Bundy.

Or since it's Star Trek...

Hef, son of Mogh.

I'm just going to give hef the benefit of the doubt, and assume he was cleverly referring to it as Star Dreck. :neverusethis:

I hacked his computer.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2770 on: May 20, 2016, 09:53:07 AM »
Dammit
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2771 on: May 21, 2016, 02:17:14 PM »
In other news - JJ Abrams says that Paramount / CBS are dropping the Axanar lawsuit.

That's good news for other fan films at least like Star Trek Continues. I wonder if they came to an agreement whereby Axanar cannot make any profit off their IP.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 03:30:15 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2772 on: May 22, 2016, 12:19:30 AM »
I saw that already, and it would be a horrible thing for fan films if they drop the lawsuit, and it reeks of desperate PR for the new movie.
Axanar has spat in the face of CBS/Paramount, and is profiting directly off their IP, and is spoiling it for everyone else and giving fan films a bad reputation. CBS/Paramount have been extremely generous allowing crowd funding for fan films at all, and Axanar has not only abused that, but openly mocked and taunted CBS and bitten the hand that feeds them. They have clearly crossed all lines, and it has already been responsible for shutting down the sequel to Horizon (which was a very good fan film), and it seriously hurt the most recent crowdfunding for Star Trek Continues. Fuck them.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2773 on: May 23, 2016, 05:57:46 PM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2774 on: June 02, 2016, 03:36:12 PM »
So who would you pick to write and direct Star Trek 4 if there is one ?

Never mind " the studio will flood it with action and explosions anyway ". Assume that's a given but who would you choose if it was up to you ?

I'd get Wally Pfister to shoot and light it. I'd love to see Chris and John Nolan write / direct it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2775 on: June 02, 2016, 10:30:29 PM »
I vote to give the reboot a mercy killing, and pray the TV show ends up watchable.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2776 on: June 03, 2016, 02:25:32 AM »
Oh do you not like the new films ? :)

You've kept that quiet !.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2777 on: June 03, 2016, 02:58:54 AM »
So who would you pick to write and direct Star Trek 4 if there is one ?

Never mind " the studio will flood it with action and explosions anyway ". Assume that's a given but who would you choose if it was up to you ?

I'd get Wally Pfister to shoot and light it. I'd love to see Chris and John Nolan write / direct it.

I'd like to see Civil War writers Chris Markus and Stephen McFeely do the script.
And then put Matthew Vaughn on the director's chair, that would be an awesome team to do ST 4 if it ever gets the green light!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2778 on: June 03, 2016, 06:45:22 AM »
I vote to give the reboot a mercy killing, and pray the TV show ends up watchable.
Same here.

I haven't been fond of the writing, directing, or acting on most of the characters or storylines presented in this reboot. I would prefer they let his go.  If they want to continue Star Trek, go back to the Prime universe and do continuing adventures there with new characters.  That's the way to go.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2779 on: June 03, 2016, 06:47:17 PM »
I think you are all on drugs. The writing has been suspect but the acting is fine. Just don't watch the movies.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Adami

« Reply #2780 on: June 03, 2016, 08:20:02 PM »
I think you are all on drugs. The writing has been suspect but the acting is fine. Just don't watch the movies.

Some of it has definitely been fine. I was completely cool with Pine, Urban and the dude who played Pike. I guess the acting for Chekov and Sulu were cool too, but those are essentially throw-away characters in the new movies. But, to me, Syler totally misses the Spock character and they just re-wrote a completely new Uhura character.

Granted, the acting from any of the shows isn't terribly better by everyone.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2781 on: June 04, 2016, 04:40:59 AM »
I think it's the writing of Spock that bothers most. Him showing emotion is what bothers both. Never would you see Spock kissing a female.

I loved the Sylar character on Heroes. I think it's more about the writing here.

Online Adami

« Reply #2782 on: June 04, 2016, 12:02:50 PM »
I think it's the writing of Spock that bothers most. Him showing emotion is what bothers both. Never would you see Spock kissing a female.

I loved the Sylar character on Heroes. I think it's more about the writing here.

Oh the writing is bad too, for sure. I also loved Sylar, which is why I was initially excited about the casting, but the acting is also very off. Nimoy Spock had a very thoughtful way of speaking, as if every word was wise and thought out. There was an irony to it as well. When Sylar talks as Spock, it usually comes off as snarky. There's also an issue of speed. One of the reasons Spock came off as so wise was because of the tone and speed he spoke, which was considerably slow. Sylar speaks pretty damn fast as spock. It's a small thing, but to a huge Spock fan like me, it stands out a lot and makes him just another modern snarky character and not the wise thoughtful character he's supposed to be, new timeline or not.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2783 on: June 05, 2016, 01:44:25 PM »

Oh the writing is bad too, for sure. I also loved Sylar, which is why I was initially excited about the casting, but the acting is also very off. Nimoy Spock had a very thoughtful way of speaking, as if every word was wise and thought out. There was an irony to it as well. When Sylar talks as Spock, it usually comes off as snarky. There's also an issue of speed. One of the reasons Spock came off as so wise was because of the tone and speed he spoke, which was considerably slow. Sylar speaks pretty damn fast as spock. It's a small thing, but to a huge Spock fan like me, it stands out a lot and makes him just another modern snarky character and not the wise thoughtful character he's supposed to be, new timeline or not.

Good post. It's all about subtlety, which is rare in modern action-oriented movies.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2784 on: June 05, 2016, 06:31:10 PM »

I seem to recall him being pretty damned successful with the ladies. Even setting aside the episodes where he was rendered non-Vulcan for one reason or another, it took him all of about 2 hours to talk an enemy ship captain right out of her miniskirt, and he was well on his way to getting some of Droxine, as well.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2785 on: June 05, 2016, 06:38:42 PM »
We knew it but never really saw it.  Him having such outward affection was a bit jarring for most.  They could cover it with Pontiac Farr and it seemed justified. 

Not a big deal but we all had that, "That's not very Spock like" feeling.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2786 on: June 05, 2016, 10:48:26 PM »

I seem to recall him being pretty damned successful with the ladies. Even setting aside the episodes where he was rendered non-Vulcan for one reason or another, it took him all of about 2 hours to talk an enemy ship captain right out of her miniskirt, and he was well on his way to getting some of Droxine, as well.

I always loved seeing the moments where Spock got to hook in rather than Kirk. Spock was a lot smoother about it too. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2787 on: June 06, 2016, 06:52:21 AM »
You were just tired of seeing that whore Kirk get all the tail. :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2788 on: June 06, 2016, 06:53:28 AM »
Especially since Spock was the sexier one! :getoffmylawn:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2789 on: June 06, 2016, 06:55:55 AM »
 :lol

I'd love to get my hands on DS9 but I'm not willing to spend the money on them.  I know Netflix has it.  I might anti up over the summer.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2790 on: June 06, 2016, 06:59:54 AM »
There's next to no Star Trek on Netflix UK.

And they've stopped people accessing the US one via other means...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2791 on: June 06, 2016, 07:01:29 AM »
I did not know that.  It's another dollar they can squeeze out of us.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2792 on: June 06, 2016, 07:03:37 AM »
Glad I don't rely on streaming to watch Star Trek. :blob:

I've got everything but TNG. I want to get the HD remasters when I do.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2793 on: June 06, 2016, 07:07:26 AM »
Compared to other TV shows, the Star Trek series are extremely expensive.  I've held back for at least a decade not buying them.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2794 on: June 06, 2016, 07:09:29 AM »
I don't own any ST TV shows on any format.

I may one day get the TNG Remastered Blu Rays and all the movies on Blu Ray too.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2795 on: June 06, 2016, 07:09:40 AM »
The scifi show boxsets tend to hold their price, especially Star Trek. Even second hand I don't recall them being all that cheap, at least for what it is.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2796 on: June 06, 2016, 09:11:46 AM »
I know. I might get them one every so often...

One a month for example.

I do want those remastered TNG Blu Rays. And all the movies I guess - but I could get the Stardate Collection which is all TEN movies for a not too bad price. ***

I already have 2009 and Into Darkness on DVD so I don't need to get them on Blu Ray just yet but I might eventually get the Compendium or wait til Beyond is out and get the

inevitable boxset with all three and ALL the extras...

*** EDIT : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Trek-Stardate-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B00BKN6ZP0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465225975&sr=8-1&keywords=star+trek+stardate+collection

Not bad at all.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2797 on: June 06, 2016, 09:13:57 AM »
You can get the movies cheap, either in the boxset or even individually. I got all of mine bit by bit, but none of them were expensive.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2798 on: June 06, 2016, 09:15:14 AM »
Check out my EDIT above. A little over £30 for all ten movies plus extras.

Works out at a little over £3 a movie.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2799 on: June 06, 2016, 09:16:01 AM »
But what is this crazy £ you speak of?!