Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 259211 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #2450 on: February 03, 2016, 08:55:15 PM »
I hadn't thought about it, but I wouldn't have expected it. Even though he was in both of the previous ones (?), it seemed like a token thing to shut up the diehards, and he wasn't a major character anyway.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2451 on: February 06, 2016, 11:44:11 AM »
Will chime in now, and post something further days (weeks?) from now.

Enjoying the thread, and I'm only on page 7.

Put up with the first JJ movie.  Even went to a theater a second time (in spite of Vulcan being blown up), wanted to walk out of the second as soon as I saw the Enterprise swim out of the water (don't even talk to me about Khan, or the scene of Kirk dying...wanted to puke).

I thought TNG missed out on a 'Hill Street Blues' type of cast (have 30, kill off or promote 20).  We still watched it every Saturday night when first aired.  DS9 was boring, lost interest within two years, Voyager stunk (but I'll watch an episode on occasion) and 'Enterprise' had its moments.  I wish all the retreads would have been aired during the 2010s:  do five or ten episodes, take a break, do five or ten more, take a long break. 

It is so much better for the actors, the writers, and the removal of formulatic B.S.

I just saw the promo for STIII (or whatever).  Won't go near it.  Insert David Bowie 'Slam bam, Thank you Ma'am' theatrics apparent.  So much for what made TOS the best when it really hit the mark......sci fi with the added human element involved.

Rant and expose' are over for now.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 09:51:41 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2452 on: February 08, 2016, 03:02:03 PM »
:| no trailer for super bowl. We had one for Into Darkness...

The movie is out in 5 months and paramount seemingly cannot be arsed promoting it...

*i'm* actually losing interest rapidly. ME.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2453 on: February 08, 2016, 07:25:25 PM »
Maybe... it's been canned?

*crosses fingers*
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2454 on: February 08, 2016, 07:55:16 PM »
I figured they just didn't want to hurt Simon Pegg's feelings any more than they already have.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2455 on: February 08, 2016, 09:27:10 PM »
I didn't expect it was big time enough for the Superbowl anyway.

Maybe... it's been canned?

*crosses fingers*

One can dream!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2456 on: February 09, 2016, 12:22:26 PM »
The writer and producer of Star Trek Voyager has been named as co-creator of Star Trek 2017.

Bryan Fuller.

He wrote 81 episodes.
inb4 - yeah he probabnly wrote all this shit episodes like threshold. this changes nothing. I still hate everything...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 12:27:27 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2457 on: February 09, 2016, 12:42:55 PM »
What is St:17?

And that dude wrote a lot of the really dark episodes. That would make me think it's the premium TV series that was mentioned a while back. I kind of assumed that they'd want to do a highly dramatic BSG type of thing, and his resume seems to fit that profile.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2458 on: February 09, 2016, 12:43:45 PM »
Star trek 2017 is the new TV show airing on CBS in 2017.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2459 on: February 09, 2016, 12:55:16 PM »
I hope they do it either in Kirk's time or way WAY in the future of The Next Gen.

There's 3 series in Picard's era. There's only one series set in the TOS era.

You could do loads of stories set in that period.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2460 on: February 09, 2016, 01:47:03 PM »
Some of this guy's work:

DS9-
Deformed Serial killer wants to carve up a very pregnant Kira.
Garak goes off his nut and slaughters starfleet personnel on an abandoned space station.

VOY-
Neelix dies and becomes completely insufferable before deciding to off himself (and tragically being prevented).
Seven's preconceptions cause a false accusation which leads an innocent guy to off himself.
The entire Voyager crew slowly dies, before disintegrating seconds outside of range of the other Voyager that could have saved them.
Voyager crew portrayed as ruthless, genocidal thugs for an entire episode.
An Alien episode where Torres is Ripley, skulking around a dark and decrepit freighter, staving off attacks from some guy left deformed and bitter because of his working conditions.
Torres dies and spends the entire episode trying to stay out of hell.
Reliving the final few hours of a guy forced to die alone in space after his comrades are killed.
Former cast-member returns bitter and homicidal to take revenge on her former friends.
Sentient holograms with a Messiah complex enslave and persecute their former captors. Doctor betrays Voyager.
Ancient Earth probe causes the complete annihilation of a planet. Long time cremember returns only to be murdered by the understandably bitter and resentful mutant survivors.

Honestly, the guy's got a pretty good resume. A lot of these are solid episodes, and he's responsible for some other really good ones, as well. Relativity, Workforce, and Living Witness are some of his less dark (thought certainly not lighthearted) episodes. Still, he's definitely the guy apt to focus on the morose. You won't be seeing any tribble episodes out of this guy.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2461 on: February 09, 2016, 01:50:12 PM »

That was a great episode.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2462 on: February 09, 2016, 02:23:45 PM »

That was a great episode.
Have you actually watched all of VOY? I'm not asking to be a dick, but that's an odd choice to single out as a good one. Just curious if it's one of the few you remember or something, or if you know all of them and really liked that one.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2463 on: February 09, 2016, 02:26:58 PM »
I've not seen all of Voyager but i've seen a lot and I remember that one.

Fave episode is Blink Of An Eye.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2464 on: February 09, 2016, 02:36:41 PM »
Fair enough. I always considered that a C episode, but that's largely because I never cared for the Torres episodes very much. There are some A episodes on that list, which is why I was wondering.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2465 on: February 09, 2016, 02:48:00 PM »
I enjoyed the premise.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2466 on: February 09, 2016, 03:09:24 PM »
It had a good premise, but I really didn't care for the execution. In fact, that applies to a lot of those Voyager episodes. Good ideas but not great scripts. However, I did love the episode where they find out they're all clones and die.

I'm still not hopeful about the new show. Kurtzman has just as much say as this guy does and neither of them are writers as far as I know. It also seems like it's made to fail by putting it as paid for content. How many viewers will really sign up for something just to watch it? I'm pretty sure they had to make some kind of deal to keep the new movie name and this is their way of making sure the show doesn't last too long.

I truly hope I'm wrong. Good trek is always welcomed by me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2467 on: February 09, 2016, 04:37:03 PM »
It had a good premise, but I really didn't care for the execution. In fact, that applies to a lot of those Voyager episodes. Good ideas but not great scripts. However, I did love the episode where they find out they're all clones and die.

I'm still not hopeful about the new show. Kurtzman has just as much say as this guy does and neither of them are writers as far as I know.
It also seems like it's made to fail by putting it as paid for content. How many viewers will really sign up for something just to watch it? I'm pretty sure they had to make some kind of deal to keep the new movie name and this is their way of making sure the show doesn't last too long.

I truly hope I'm wrong. Good trek is always welcomed by me.
This guy is a writer. He wrote all the shows I listed, plus a handful more. I'd say that Kurtzman is the bigger problem, but considering what this guy's style is and what will actually work for modern television, I'm not real hopeful either.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2468 on: February 09, 2016, 05:47:26 PM »
Oh no, I meant I'm not sure he's tasked to write for the show. I just skimmed over the news article, but it says he was executive producing them. He may be writing them, I just didn't see it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2469 on: February 09, 2016, 09:10:35 PM »
Some of this guy's work:

VOY-
The entire Voyager crew slowly dies, before disintegrating seconds outside of range of the other Voyager that could have saved them.
Ancient Earth probe causes the complete annihilation of a planet. Long time cremember returns only to be murdered by the understandably bitter and resentful mutant survivors.

Those two in particular always stood out to me as really bleak, especially Friendship One (would have been even darker if they didn't save the baby or the planet).
As for episodes I really loved though, there's only Relativity, Gravity, and Living Witness. On the downside, Spirit Folk, Barge of the Dead, and Bride of Chaotica were kinda crap. Spirit Folk is actually the only episode of Star Trek I couldn't even sit through. Dreadful. It makes Threshold look good.

Still, they could have chosen much worse, and I'm glad it's someone with existing Trek lineage, and not one of the current breed of scifi hacks.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2470 on: February 10, 2016, 11:48:46 AM »
So is it true that the new Trek show will only be available on CBS's streaming service and they're pulling all of the Trek shows off of Netflix? If so, I'm going to bummed becasue I was just about to start going through all of the series.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2471 on: February 10, 2016, 11:58:47 AM »
So is it true that the new Trek show will only be available on CBS's streaming service and they're pulling all of the Trek shows off of Netflix? If so, I'm going to bummed becasue I was just about to start going through all of the series.
Yes, the new series will only be available on CBS's streaming service (after the pilot debuts on CBS).

They haven't made announcements yet about Netflix and Hulu, but they have given a date for the episodes to start leaving Amazon, IIRC.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2472 on: February 10, 2016, 12:54:52 PM »
Welcome to the 21st century, where it's easier for everybody to demand a slice of your money, and easier for you to take their shit for free.

There's talk now of Angela Basset and Rosario Dawson being Capt./XO of the new series. I've got no problem with either of them, but both together sounds like something of a bummer. I get diversity and all, and strong females work very well in ST, but that just seems like a bit too much of an estrogen festival.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2473 on: February 10, 2016, 09:02:39 PM »
Welcome to the 21st century, where it's easier for everybody to demand a slice of your money, and easier for you to take their shit for free.

There's talk now of Angela Basset and Rosario Dawson being Capt./XO of the new series. I've got no problem with either of them, but both together sounds like something of a bummer. I get diversity and all, and strong females work very well in ST, but that just seems like a bit too much of an estrogen festival.

Yeah, it kind of comes across as token choices, regardless of their talent. Ultimately I don't mind how thy cast it though, as long as it's all done well. I can almost guarantee we'll have a gay crew member too, which again I'm ok with but would feel kind of obligatory. Trek is overdue for dealing with that directly anyway.
I'm glad to be getting some Trek with a new crew though, rather than retreading the past.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2474 on: February 11, 2016, 05:44:43 AM »
I'm surprised there hasn't been an out and out ( no pun intended ) gay character in Trek up til now.

But yeah it needs to be appropriate and not just thrown in to stop SJWs going apeshit.

I think the new series should either be like 100 years on from Picard's time or set in Kirk's time just on a different ship because you pretty much only saw Kirk & co in that era.

The Next Gen era has three series all in the same time. Voyager was 75 light years away and did pretty much nothing with it.

Set it in the 25th century ( lol buck rogers ) and on the Enterprise NCC 1701-X

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2475 on: February 11, 2016, 05:54:34 AM »
It will probably be 50-100 years after the new movies, but being set in the alt universe it wouldn't make much difference either way. They have almost no regard for continuity so it would be almost trivial.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2476 on: February 11, 2016, 07:08:19 AM »
They both are very good actresses so that is a positive.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #2477 on: February 11, 2016, 08:22:59 AM »
I will definitely watch the new show and be oh so glad if it's at least half way decent. But with (so far) a one style writer with mainly bleak and dark episodes plus one of JJ's goons producing... let's say my enthusiasm is somewhat restrained. I'm perfectly fine with Bassett and/or Dawson, both great performers I really like. But in the end it will come down to the show's basic concept and the writing anyway, no matter how awesome or unknown the cast will turn out to be.

JJ timeline would almost be a deal breaker for me though. I really like that sense of history and storylines interweaving the past and the future. It just makes a fictional world feel so much bigger and more grounded and more realistic, even (or maybe especially) in sci-fi or fantasy.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2478 on: February 11, 2016, 08:24:45 AM »
I'm surprised there hasn't been an out and out ( no pun intended ) gay character in Trek up til now.

But yeah it needs to be appropriate and not just thrown in to stop SJWs going apeshit.

I think the new series should either be like 100 years on from Picard's time or set in Kirk's time just on a different ship because you pretty much only saw Kirk & co in that era.

The Next Gen era has three series all in the same time. Voyager was 75 light years away and did pretty much nothing with it.

Set it in the 25th century ( lol buck rogers ) and on the Enterprise NCC 1701-X
That'd be an interesting way to do it, for that reason. In TOS you really had three and a half guys and a token extra (Scotty fell somewhere in between). All of the other shows had a real ensemble cast. Actually having 8 or so main characters on an old Constitution class ship would be a cool way to go about it.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2479 on: February 11, 2016, 08:26:47 AM »
I will definitely watch the new show and be oh so glad if it's at least half way decent. But with (so far) a one style writer with mainly bleak and dark episodes plus one of JJ's goons producing... let's say my enthusiasm is somewhat restrained. I'm perfectly fine with Bassett and/or Dawson, both great performers I really like. But in the end it will come down to the show's basic concept and the writing anyway, no matter how awesome or unknown the cast will turn out to be.

JJ timeline would almost be a deal breaker for me though. I really like that sense of history and storylines interweaving the past and the future. It just makes a fictional world feel so much bigger and more grounded and more realistic, even (or maybe especially) in sci-fi or fantasy.

Greetings...
Nef

Unless there's some legal reason between CBS/Paramount, I expect it will be alt universe so it doesn't confuse all of the casuals. It may not be too explicit about it, but I don't expect continuity with the older series either way.
If the show sucks, I'd rather it be associated with the new movies, but I'd rather a great series that continued on from where Voyager left off, and real time afterwards, so they could potentially have old actors as guests. But that's aiming a little too high. :biggrin:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2480 on: February 11, 2016, 09:18:09 AM »

That'd be an interesting way to do it, for that reason. In TOS you really had three and a half guys and a token extra (Scotty fell somewhere in between). All of the other shows had a real ensemble cast. Actually having 8 or so main characters on an old Constitution class ship would be a cool way to go about it.

Then you still have that problem of :

" It has to look like it's 200 years from now but still the same as what you saw in TOS "

It's like Damon Lindelof said " You have to have flip communicators because it's Star Trek but in reality - flip phones are already out of date. "

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2481 on: February 11, 2016, 09:19:18 AM »
Quote from: blobVanDam
If the show sucks, I'd rather it be associated with the new movies, but I'd rather a great series that continued on from where Voyager left off, and real time afterwards, so they could potentially have old actors as guests. But that's aiming a little too high. :biggrin:

JJ timeline. TNG era.

:hifive: we've cracked it.

You can have the same set design as TNG and it won't look too dated. Just ramp it up slightly.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2482 on: February 11, 2016, 09:36:47 AM »
JJ timeline. TNG era.

I've said it before, and vaguely said it a few posts up, but this I think is the most likely option. I think TNG would look a little dated for a new series, but you could definitely take cues from the design style.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2483 on: February 11, 2016, 10:00:41 AM »
AFAIK, there IS a legal spat between Paramount and CBS.  Paramount owns the film rights, while CBS owns the TV rights.

So if I had to guess, I would guess that the new show will NOT be affiliated with the new films in any way.

But I could be wrong.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline perfecthundred

« Reply #2484 on: February 11, 2016, 10:38:12 AM »
I have zero confidence in a studio to produce a television series in which they refuse to follow the series trademark. That is Star Trek Beyond looks the way it does apparently because Paramount thought the initial screenplay was too Star Trek. It blows my mind that Paramount wants this to be the new Star Trek and yet keep it far far from the source material. If that will be the case for this movie then that will be the case for the series. Also, why bother calling it Star Trek anymore? Why on Earth bring in an old set of characters if you don't want what the old characters represented? I may check out the series for curiosity sake but I'm not expecting anything. Star Trek Into Darkness started strong but ended so far into awful territory that it kinda left a sour taste in my mouth.