Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 259968 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #2345 on: December 15, 2015, 08:15:07 AM »
Not sure why you need to be so God damned pissy about nobody else being on the bandwagon.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2346 on: December 15, 2015, 08:15:34 AM »
We saw 90 seconds of crap in the context of having seen the two films prior. 

Bingo.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2347 on: December 15, 2015, 08:15:57 AM »
Checking in late. That looked awful.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2348 on: December 15, 2015, 08:16:32 AM »
Not sure why you need to be so God damned pissy about nobody else being on the bandwagon.

:rollin

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2349 on: December 15, 2015, 09:24:28 AM »
Oh you guys.

I'm a long-time Trek fan, grew up with TOS, etc., etc., and I finally checked out the trailer that y'all are whining about.  I thought it looked kinda cool.  Yep, it's another explosionfest generic action-thriller summer blockbuster eye candy switch off your brain and just watch it kinda thing, but given that, I thought it looked kinda cool.  Karl Urban is perfect as bones.  The rest of them... whatever.  The white chick looked kinda hot, too.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2350 on: December 15, 2015, 09:41:40 AM »
I think it looks like entertaining fun.

No Star Trek movie has been "proper" Star Trek since 1991 anyways so...

They're not gonna make The Motion Picture again. We'll never get a slow moving deep intellectual movie like that when they spend $200m on it.

That's just the way it is.

As i've said before - i go to the cinema and pay £10 - £15 to have fun and be entertained.

I don't go to watch Waiting For Godot The Movie.

It is possible to enjoy a movie despite all the flaws.

Like Into Darkness - yes the plot is flimsy and the ending is tacked on and it borrows from a previous movie but I Like It Anyway.

I don't know why people get so *angry* that not everyone hates what they hate.

Also - try telling me that the 4 TNG movies would look vastly different to this if they all had a $200m budget.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 09:47:09 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2351 on: December 15, 2015, 09:58:57 AM »
I don't know why people get so *angry* that not everyone hates what they hate.

I don't think anyone is angry here that you like it; at least I'm not. You can like and enjoy any movie you want; that's fine. Based on my own past experiences and tastes, the trailer to this movie makes it look like something that might be a little enjoyable at times, but over all would be a boring experience and also one that I'd forget about a week later. I think that's majorly disappointing seeing as how much I enjoyed the 2009 movie.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2352 on: December 15, 2015, 10:00:07 AM »
I'm pretty sure nobody has problems with explosions per se. Almost all of the classic ST movies them. It's when the plot just becomes an action scene delivery vehicle, that's when it sucks.

I can't remember Roddenberry's exact quote, but he said something like that he refused to take the stupidity of the viewers as a given. Star Trek was never a lowest common denominator type of show. The new movies however are.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2353 on: December 15, 2015, 10:01:46 AM »
There's a huge of middle ground between plodding boring mess like TMP and ADHD millennial explosion-fest like Into Darkness. See Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. It's a smart movie with subtlety, and yet you also get to see an ape riding a horse through flames while firing two machine guns and fight a tank.

It's possible to make a great movie that appeals to a broad audience without being empty Hollywood garbage. It's also possible to make a fun movie that entertains people without being empty Hollywood garbage. It's also possible to write a movie without gaping plotholes that insult the intelligence and attention span of your audience. There are minor flaws that you can brush off, and there are the kinds of flaws that just make a movie fucking stupid to watch.

But all of this requires a half decent director and a half decent writer, neither of which this movie has.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2354 on: December 15, 2015, 10:07:35 AM »
Case in point: Interstellar. Look, one can use relativistic time dilation as a plot element! And soon later you get a neat major CGI fest of skyscraper waves coming at you, but it's fine, because right after you learn that the guy on the orbiting ship has aged 50 years.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2355 on: December 15, 2015, 10:17:07 AM »
And it works because Nolan likes to be a bit more poetic with his movies, which allows for more suspension of disbelief.

Inception is another great example. It's a really excellent and simple action movie. I think people were just so caught up in it being "deep" because it wasn't stupid.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2356 on: December 15, 2015, 10:28:39 AM »
There's a huge of middle ground between plodding boring mess like TMP and ADHD millennial explosion-fest like Into Darkness. See Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. It's a smart movie with subtlety, and yet you also get to see an ape riding a horse through flames while firing two machine guns and fight a tank.

It's possible to make a great movie that appeals to a broad audience without being empty Hollywood garbage. It's also possible to make a fun movie that entertains people without being empty Hollywood garbage. It's also possible to write a movie without gaping plotholes that insult the intelligence and attention span of your audience. There are minor flaws that you can brush off, and there are the kinds of flaws that just make a movie fucking stupid to watch.

But all of this requires a half decent director and a half decent writer, neither of which this movie has.

It also requires the intention to actually make a movie which goes beyond empty Hollywood garbage, which I don't think we have here. 

And that's the whole problem that purists and many long-time fans have.  Star Trek (to them) should be more than empty Hollywood garbage.  They want something that goes beyond that, actually has something to say, actually gives you something to think about for more than five minutes as you're leaving the theater (or taking the DVD out of the machine).  Instead, the primary motivation here is to make a big entertaining movie that makes a lot of money.  There's nothing wrong with that.  But it certainly bothers some people, and we're hearing about it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2357 on: December 15, 2015, 10:46:48 AM »
And that's the whole problem that purists and many long-time fans have.  Star Trek (to them) should be more than empty Hollywood garbage.  They want something that goes beyond that, actually has something to say, actually gives you something to think about for more than five minutes as you're leaving the theater (or taking the DVD out of the machine).  Instead, the primary motivation here is to make a big entertaining movie that makes a lot of money.  There's nothing wrong with that.  But it certainly bothers some people, and we're hearing about it.

As pointed out, these are not mutually exclusive goals. One can make a movie that isn't a turdburger of fireworks but still appeals to a general audience. Just because it's entertainment, doesn't mean I should have to voluntarily accept watching complete garbage, and not expect more. Are we really at the point where turning your brain off and not thinking is mandatory to even sit through the shit Hollywood is churning out? That's pathetic. Thinking shouldn't be frowned upon.

Star Trek at its very core is more than this, but it obviously went over the heads of these morons, because this does not resemble Trek. Sure, you can dress people up as the characters, throw in a spaceship, but that's only the surface of Star Trek. This crap would be unrecognizable to Gene Roddenberry.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2358 on: December 15, 2015, 10:51:11 AM »
Star Trek at its very core is more than this, but it obviously went over the heads of these morons, because this does not resemble Trek.

I wouldn't say they are morons for not understanding Star Trek. They clearly are just trying to make a product that is more likely to make money than a "boring" accurate representation of Star Trek. This kind of movie is safe and doesn't require as much effort as trying to make a legitimate Star Trek movie that's good.

More like they are lazy.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2359 on: December 15, 2015, 10:57:59 AM »
Star Trek at its very core is more than this, but it obviously went over the heads of these morons, because this does not resemble Trek.

I wouldn't say they are morons for not understanding Star Trek. They clearly are just trying to make a product that is more likely to make money than a "boring" accurate representation of Star Trek. This kind of movie is safe and doesn't require as much effort as trying to make a legitimate Star Trek movie that's good.

Looking at the people involved in any these 3 movies, I'm not convinced they could make a decent Trek/scifi movie even if they wanted to. JJ admittedly didn't even like Trek, and basically spat in the face of the fanbase with many of his decisions. If only he liked it half as much as he adores Star Wars......
Why even use a franchise's brand recognition to make a movie under the assumption that most people thinks it's boring?

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2360 on: December 15, 2015, 11:02:49 AM »
Why even use a franchise's brand recognition to make a movie under the assumption that most people thinks it's boring?

I'm guessing they assumed that the audience they were catering too aren't actually huge Star Trek fans but just know that it exists. Even if that audience thought it was boring, it was made obvious that the movie wasn't "your dad's Star Trek". And previous views of the source material don't matter to them. Any recognizable name is guaranteed money in their eyes.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2361 on: December 15, 2015, 11:07:22 AM »
Simon Pegg co-wrote this and he certainly knows how to write a movie. Just look at the Cornetto trilogy.

When he came on board as a writer - they threw away everything that Orci wrote and started again.

That should give you at least *some* goodwill towards it.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2362 on: December 15, 2015, 11:32:04 AM »
Honestly, that does. It makes me feel a bit better knowing that he's going to commit to his own vision instead of trying to shove in everyone's ideas.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2363 on: December 15, 2015, 11:56:32 AM »
Maybe.  However, his conception can only be shaped by his immersion in the first two films.  Also, although he has certainly written some entertaining films before, that doesn't necessarily mean he can write a big-budget sci-fi extravaganza.

So, we'll see.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2364 on: December 15, 2015, 12:13:28 PM »
Honestly, that does. It makes me feel a bit better knowing that he's going to commit to his own vision instead of trying to shove in everyone's ideas.

I heard that Orci wrote this thing which was the Trekkiest Trek that ever Trekked which If I recall or if the story is true -

- would be nothing but 50th anniversary fan service. Wherein Shatner and Nimoy would reunite on screen and they would restore the original timeline at the end.

I don't think that would have been the right thing to do either.

I'm looking forward to longer trailers and the official poster etc :)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2365 on: December 15, 2015, 12:47:43 PM »
Didn't Pegg also say that he's constrained to play the current Hollywood game? They're spending over a hundred million on this thing and expect a ROI, which can only be achieved by making a Summer blockbuster. The fact that it will alienate the people who actually want to see a Star Trek movie is inconsequential. I'm suspect Pegg could write a perfectly good Trek movie, and could probably make one that we'd all enjoy if left to do it on his own. I wouldn't bet two bits on his ability to do it within the current paradigm.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2366 on: December 15, 2015, 12:49:47 PM »
I think the baton of Star Trek has passed so many times at Paramount, it arrived at people who simply don't have an emotional connection to the original series. So, they re-imagine it as something entirely different.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2367 on: December 15, 2015, 01:22:48 PM »
I think the baton of Star Trek has passed so many times at Paramount, it arrived at people who simply don't have an emotional connection to the original series. So, they re-imagine it as something entirely different.

I agree with this.  Though, I do thing they were losing steam in the box office prompting the hiatus and the keys handed to someone else.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2368 on: December 15, 2015, 06:17:04 PM »
" As for those fans who think Lin might have made a Fast & Furious movie set in the Trek universe, Lin understands where the criticism is coming from:

" Yeah, and I don’t know if that’s the case here. When I saw the teaser, I’m like, aw shit.  You really have to put the motorcycle in there? So I get it. "

So yeah - everyone will just say he's backtracking to save his arse but it sounds like ( from the rest of the interview )  that there were several different versions of the trailer - and that's

the one the studio chose.

He also says they're halfway into the 5 year mission and they're just not addressing anything from Into Darkness like curing death etc.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2369 on: December 15, 2015, 08:21:43 PM »
Simon Pegg co-wrote this and he certainly knows how to write a movie. Just look at the Cornetto trilogy.

When he came on board as a writer - they threw away everything that Orci wrote and started again.

That should give you at least *some* goodwill towards it.

Never heard of or seen that. Realizing Orci can't write isn't much of a benchmark, but I guess it's a start. :lol

He also says they're halfway into the 5 year mission and they're just not addressing anything from Into Darkness like curing death etc.

Oh good. I love weak continuity and writing deus ex machinas for a cheap movie ending with no intent to follow through on it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2370 on: December 16, 2015, 07:16:21 PM »
https://trekcore.com/blog/2015/12/simon-pegg-asks-fans-to-hang-in-there/

The point of a trailer is to bring in the audience, not to repulse the audience so badly that both the writer and director have to publicly defend that the movie isn't as bad as it looks. :facepalm: It doesn't fill me with confidence that the director and writer had so little say on the trailer. This franchise is so poorly mismanaged it's not funny.

If only Star Trek was managed like Star Wars, with an overall producer of the franchise, and people who know what the hell they're doing and give a shit about their fanbase who support them, rather than the "f*** the fans" attitude they've had since the reboot. Oh but hang in there, insignificant basement-dwelling real Trek fans, there are some scraps in there for you too!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2371 on: December 16, 2015, 07:45:14 PM »
OR - the studio chose the trailer and the writer and director disagreed with THE STUDIO.

I've read a lot over the last few days which makes me look forward to it - but whatever.  I'm done. I'm not posting here again until i've seen the film.

Had enough of everyone turning every single shred of information into a gigantic negative and just bitching at people who actually like them...

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2372 on: December 16, 2015, 08:43:13 PM »
FFS, NO ONE IS BITCHING AT YOU. Our extreme apprehension about this film has NOTHING to do with YOU.

You have liked the films thus far, and you are excited about the next one. Great. But other people making negative comments about the films are not about YOU.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2373 on: December 16, 2015, 11:33:51 PM »
I will agree that sometimes the marketing department misses the boat when they cut and release a trailer. Whether it gives away too little, too much, doesn't present the movie well or accurately enough. I recall David Find her saying some of them have this mentality of "well, they did they best they could. It is up to us now to make sure people actually see this film."

I will say the franchise needs to amp up the hype machine a bit. Before yesterday I didn't even know they were working on a new film, to say nothing of getting ready to release one.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2374 on: December 17, 2015, 12:10:38 AM »
My coworker forced me to watch the trailer. She is excited. I am not.

I liked 09 and Darkness. But I also found them to be action movies set with familiar Trek characters in a familarish Trek universe.

Will I watch Beyond?

Yes. In theaters. Not on opening day. Probably not until it hits the second run budget theater.  Will I enjoy it? Probably.

Would I rather see a TNG era series?

YES.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2375 on: December 17, 2015, 07:52:55 AM »
OR - the studio chose the trailer and the writer and director disagreed with THE STUDIO.

That's most likely. It's obvious that Pegg is embarrassed by the trailer.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2376 on: December 17, 2015, 08:51:37 AM »

That's most likely. It's obvious that Pegg is embarrassed by the trailer.
???
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2377 on: December 17, 2015, 08:58:05 AM »
He's assuming since Pegg released a statement asking the fans to wait on their judgement until they see the movie implying the trailer does not represent the movie.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2378 on: December 17, 2015, 09:25:58 AM »
I'm drawing conclusions from this video of Pegg's reaction to the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f4aAwa5wdg

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2379 on: December 17, 2015, 09:32:27 AM »
That's actually encouraging. Thanks, Implode!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens