Author Topic: To DVD or not to DVD??  (Read 5191 times)

Offline Lotion

Re: To DVD or not to DVD??
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2013, 04:28:34 PM »
I think that, without the ytsejam releases, they should be giving out a dvd for every tour. Compared to other bands I listen to (more mainstream stuff), DT doesn't have much footage coming out (Mainly footage such as streams for festival). I want pro shot footage from every tour, no matter what. The only footage we got from the BC&SL tour was from the Download Festival. I'd really like to see more from that tour!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2013, 04:49:51 PM »
I think that, without the ytsejam releases, they should be giving out a dvd for every tour. Compared to other bands I listen to (more mainstream stuff), DT doesn't have much footage coming out (Mainly footage such as streams for festival). I want pro shot footage from every tour, no matter what. The only footage we got from the BC&SL tour was from the Download Festival. I'd really like to see more from that tour!

And footage of Wither / AROP from Japan
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2013, 06:48:51 AM »
Someone might have complied this already - but after Luna comes out - what would be the list of songs in their catalogue that haven't seen a VHS/DVD release?
All of BC&SL
Please feel free to check my work, but this is what I've got when it comes to studio album songs missing from DVDs:

Awake
The Mirror - I believe they've only played the intro and not the whole song
Lie - There is a music video but no DVD performance

Falling Into Infinity
You Not Me -  Although I'd like to see it, I might be the only one
Hell's Kitchen - I know part of this came up in Instrumedely, but again I don't know if they did the whole thing
Take Away My Pain -

Six Degrees
Misunderstood - I really like this song.  I this it would be great to see the guitar work on video

Chaos In Motion
Repentance -
Prophets of War -

As previously mentioned the whole BC&SL album.  There are pro shots of ARoP and Wither on YouTube.  I would really like to see ANtR and TCoT.  To some extent TSF but I doubt that.  We'll never see TBoT.

Some people might include "Where are You Now" and "The Way it Used to Be" since we got 3 out of the 5 songs left off FII

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2013, 06:54:14 AM »
I'd be content if they released the full audition version of ANtR with Mangini.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2013, 08:58:46 AM »
Someone might have complied this already - but after Luna comes out - what would be the list of songs in their catalogue that haven't seen a VHS/DVD release?
All of BC&SL
Please feel free to check my work, but this is what I've got when it comes to studio album songs missing from DVDs:

Awake

Falling Into Infinity
Hell's Kitchen - I know part of this came up in Instrumedely, but again I don't know if they did the whole thing
Take Away My Pain -

Six Degrees
Misunderstood - I really like this song.  I this it would be great to see the guitar work on video

Chaos In Motion
Repentance -
Prophets of War -

As previously mentioned the whole BC&SL album.  There are pro shots of ARoP and Wither on YouTube.  I would really like to see ANtR and TCoT.  To some extent TSF but I doubt that.  We'll never see TBoT.

Some people might include "Where are You Now" and "The Way it Used to Be" since we got 3 out of the 5 songs left off FII

Space-Dye Vest? The Glass Prison? Just two songs that came to mind that are both on no DVD and not on your list. And I'm pretty sure there are more.

Online DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2013, 09:03:06 AM »
There's a pretty awesome live version of The Glass Prison in the Gigantour DVD.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2013, 09:11:41 AM »
Okay sorry I thought we were talking about DT-only DVDs.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2013, 09:12:54 AM »
There's a pretty awesome live version of The Glass Prison in the Gigantour DVD.

that -kinda- counts in my head
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2013, 09:14:48 AM »
But how many DT fans have the Gigantour DVD? ::)

Online DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2013, 10:04:57 AM »
It's not like you can't buy just that track from iTunes or something  :-*

Well, of course the song hasn't yet appeared exclusively in a DT DVD, but although it's quite nice I don't believe that having every possible DT song on DVD is compulsory. As it has been stated before, we're kind of spoiled as DT fans because we've gotten so much things that other bands don't offer their fanbases, but I mean we've got like 85% of DT's big catalog on DVD (included the Ytse Jam bootlegs) and that's quite a big number.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2013, 10:06:52 AM »
You can't. It's album only (or it was a few years ago when I bought it... I had to spend the money on the whole album... )

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2013, 10:09:06 AM »
Really? Ok, my bad. Either way, there's a pretty cool live version of the song out there and for me, although it's not an official DT DVD, it's an official music DVD that happens to include Dream Theater. Look at Symphony X, they haven't released a live DVD yet and that DVD is the only chance right now fans of the band can watch the band on a live production setting.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2013, 04:42:04 AM »
I don't count Gigantour.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2013, 09:37:47 AM »
All of BC&SL

Awake

Falling Into Infinity
Take Away My Pain -

Six Degrees

Chaos In Motion
Repentance -
Prophets of War -

Space-Dye Vest? The Glass Prison? Just two songs that came to mind that are both on no DVD and not on your list. And I'm pretty sure there are more.
I totally overlooked SDV.  I really should have caught that one because they haven't really played that one live at all.  I think the Terrytown performance was the only one - If you could count just JLB and JR as a DT performance.  In any case there is no video.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 11:21:13 AM by Another_Won »

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2013, 09:49:58 AM »
The fact that The Mirror / Lie haven't been on a DVD release blows my mind

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2013, 09:58:22 AM »
If we don't count the Ytse Jam releases, fanclub DVDs, etc., then these songs would also appear in the list (in addition to the aforementioned SDV and TGP):

Status Seeker
The Killing Hand
Light Fuse...
The Ones...
Never Enough

However, The Killing Hand is the only song out of those that is somewhat likely to be played at some point. There are also a few songs like Anna Lee and Burning My Soul that are on DVD but not on CD, but they aren't extremely popular among the DT fans.

I wouldn't mind getting a DVD release from the upcoming tour, because the sets will be "an evening with" again and (as said) there are still songs that haven't been released on DVD yet. That said, they could also wait until the next tour if they feel the gap between Luna Park and the possible DT12 DVD would be too small.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2013, 10:00:22 AM »
Very true Jay!  And I agree with Hef, I don't even own the Gigantour DVD.  Like someone else mentioned, when I first read the title of the thread I thought..."Hey.. we can't even get the Luna Park DVD yet.."   :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2013, 10:01:48 AM »
However, The Killing Hand is the only song out of those that is somewhat likely to be played at some point. There are also a few songs like Anna Lee and Burning My Soul that are on DVD but not on CD, but they aren't extremely popular among the DT fans.

I know it's not the most popular song, being one of the poppier ballads from FII and all, but I think Anna Lee could find its place in the setlist, maybe in an "unplugged" type segment again, and maybe even find some new fans. I don't think it's too disliked to reappear.
While I don't mind BMS, I don't see that one ever getting enough demand to appear in setlists though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2013, 10:02:43 AM »
DT12 could be such a hit that they tour into infinity for a long time on it and just keep adding legs and by the time it's finished Luna Park will be... old...

:neverusethis:

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2013, 11:11:22 AM »
While not a DT dvd, TGP and The Mirror/Lie are on the Portnoy drum dvd In Constant Motion.  Mike is the main focus of the cameras, but you do see the other guys part of the time in the shots. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2013, 11:17:44 AM »
While not a DT dvd, TGP and The Mirror/Lie are on the Portnoy drum dvd In Constant Motion.  Mike is the main focus of the cameras, but you do see the other guys part of the time in the shots. 

meh

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2013, 11:25:29 AM »
I don't count Gigantour.
What about Ytsejam?  I've always considered those releases to be "official-enough,"  TGP is on the Bucharest DVD too. 

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2013, 07:09:09 PM »

meh

It's really a good entertaining dvd, and I say this as a non-drummer.  You get some otherwise unobtainable DT pro-shot footage, live songs from MP's tribute bands, and if you're a drummer video lessons and pdf transcriptions that you can learn DT songs from.  Definitely worth it if you can find a cheap copy just for the performances alone.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2013, 08:19:31 PM »

meh

It's really a good entertaining dvd, and I say this as a non-drummer.  You get some otherwise unobtainable DT pro-shot footage, live songs from MP's tribute bands, and if you're a drummer video lessons and pdf transcriptions that you can learn DT songs from.  Definitely worth it if you can find a cheap copy just for the performances alone.

Sounds interesting.  Since Mike has more than one of these, would you say this one is unique in these aspects?  Or do you find that all of them have these characteristics?

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2013, 09:48:34 PM »

Sounds interesting.  Since Mike has more than one of these, would you say this one is unique in these aspects?  Or do you find that all of them have these characteristics?

I can't say for sure, In Constant Motion is the only instructional dvd of his that I have.  Hopefully someone that has some of the others can shed some light on them.  Here's the link to the back of the cover. 

I can tell you what ICM has on it though.  Here's the link to the back of the cover; it does't say what the live DT tracks are so I've listed them below: https://www.hudsonmusic.com/hudson/products/images/415/portnoy%20ICM%20back.jpg

Disc 1 is all DT related with 6 songs with lessons, 3 have live band performances and 3 are in Mike playing them studio with an angle switching feature.  The live tracks on it are The Glass Prison, This Dying Soul, and Never Enough.

Disc 2 is interviews with MP about the different side projects he'd been involved in, and has live footage from some of them and songs from all of MP's tribute bands.  Nothing really DT related on disc 2.  YYZ w/ drum solo is a highlight though.

Disc 3 as far as live footage has Pull Me Under, The Mirror/Lie, Metropolis, 1995 drum solo, 2004 drum solo, and 2005/2006 drum solos/duets with Jason Bittner, Charlie Benante, and Richard Christy. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 10:06:26 PM by FracturedMirror »

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2013, 10:35:18 PM »

Only counting official releases (including CiM), not counting bonus tracks on Score and not counting the CiaW portion in the LaB bonus features, and not counting the bits of footage in the SFNY bonus content:

A Vision
Two Far
March of the Tyrant
Vital Star
Your Majesty
Resurrection of Ernie
Cry for Freedom
Status Seeker
The Killing Hand
Light Fuse and Get Away
The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
Another Day
The Mirror
Lie
Space-Dye Vest
Where Are You Now?
The Way It Used to Be
You Not Me
Hell's Kitchen (only partially on LaB)
Take Away My Pain
Just Let Me Breathe
The Glass Prison
Misunderstood
The Great Debate
Honor Thy Father
Never Enough
Repentance
Prophets of War
All of BCSL
Raw Dog

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2013, 10:45:18 PM »
Have they played PoW live? I would think with the crowd chant towards the end of that song, it'd be great live. I went to see them in Kansas City on that tour and they didn't play it. Kinda disappointing really.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2013, 04:32:15 AM »
Yeah, they've played it during the BC&SL tour.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2013, 08:27:49 AM »
Have they played PoW live? I would think with the crowd chant towards the end of that song, it'd be great live. I went to see them in Kansas City on that tour and they didn't play it. Kinda disappointing really.

It was a cool surprise to see it live. The crowd chants were awesome! My only beef is MP's section was prerecorded...

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline 425

« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2013, 11:29:58 AM »
Only counting official releases (including CiM), not counting bonus tracks on Score and not counting the CiaW portion in the LaB bonus features, and not counting the bits of footage in the SFNY bonus content:

The Killing Hand
The Glass Prison
The Great Debate

I don't know if you are counting Ytse Jam Records as official releases (though they are labelled as such, so I don't see why not), but the Bucharest DVD on Ytse Jam includes the above three in its track listing (I don't have it so I can't verify that they are on there, but that's what it says on the site).
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2013, 11:48:54 AM »
They are all on there, but that's not one of the official video releases. The official releases are:

Images and Words: Live in Tokyo
5 Years in a Livetime
Metropolis 2000: Scenes From New York
Live at Budokan
Score: 20th Anniversary World Tour - Live with the Octavarium Orchestra
Chaos in Motion 2007-2008

Offline 425

« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2013, 12:23:57 PM »
So you aren't considering Ytse Jam releases as official? May I ask why not? I would think for purposes of this discussion (listing songs that haven't had a video release) it would be better to count them because the existence of the Bucharest DVD means that TGP has been released by the band in a pro-shot video you can purchase, making it somewhat inaccurate to claim that they have not made live footage of that song available to the fans.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2013, 12:27:28 PM »
I wouldn't count Ytse Jam releases, because they aren't as widely available as the DVDs GasparXR listed and their quality may not always be as good.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2013, 12:33:39 PM »
I wouldn't count Ytse Jam releases, because they aren't as widely available as the DVDs GasparXR listed and their quality may not always be as good.
I think it is important to note that the quality of Ytse Jam releases are probably better than the last official DVD we got - Chaos in Motion.  Sometimes I think the fan club DVD is better than that too.  Not trying to start anything, I'm just sayin . . .

Offline 425

« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2013, 12:34:36 PM »

That is true, and that's why I wouldn't call them full-fledged DVD releases in all respects, but here we're just listing songs that haven't been released in video. I think that "released in a limited form through Ytse Jam records" is closer to "released on a widely distributed DVD" than it is to "it is literally impossible to find official footage of this song."

That is to say, pro-shot video of The Glass Prison might be harder to get than video of Pull Me Under, but it is still definitely obtainable, unlike pro-shot video of Misunderstood.
And if spirit's a sign,