Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 916392 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - COVER ART/TRACK LIST on p. 5
« Reply #4095 on: August 01, 2013, 12:50:22 AM »
I like prog. I'm a big fan of Styx, Kansas, Rush. Haven't heard much Yes, but I like orchestral stuff, like what they did on Octavarium.

f u dis is not prog dis porgressive

I really, REALLY hope that's a joke post.   :|
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4096 on: August 01, 2013, 12:52:05 AM »
It very much is  ;)

« Reply #4097 on: August 01, 2013, 12:54:05 AM »
It very much is  ;)

Phew! Wow... You had me!  :hat

Offline mellotron_scratch

« Reply #4098 on: August 01, 2013, 12:56:48 AM »
Can someone please tell me what page of this thread it was when noxon supposedly 'confirmed' track lengths?

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #4099 on: August 01, 2013, 01:11:25 AM »
"Their 12th release — the fourth with Roadrunner Records overall and their second with drummer Mike Mangini — is an hour-long, nine-song opus that harkens back to the melodic, slightly more traditional songwriting of their early days and meshes it with the chops, speed and epic ambitions that they have become known for since. Most of the songs are five to seven-minute morsels, two of which (“The Looking Glass” and “Surrender To Reason”) recall vintage Rush, while the majestic, multifaceted, predominately instrumental 19-minute closer “Illumination Theory” has a gorgeous neo-classical centerpiece courtesy of keyboardist Jordan Rudess that makes for an unexpectedly serene break during an often frenetic number."

"There is a slightly more mainstream slant to the album that will allow Dream Theater disciples and fellow prog heads to play this release to a non-genre fan who could appreciate it and not instantly be overwhelmed by a maelstrom of notes."

"The mixing and mastering are worth noting, as well, for their superiority and for not succumbing much to the modish "loudness war"

Interesting comments from the two blog guys that were at the listening party. I know their comments are subjective and can be said about most of DT's albums, but for some reason I belive this album is going to be a little bit different.

Based on nothing but speculation and the above mentioned comments it seems to me that DT is going for really structured and cohesive songwriting for this album. It looks like they will be rockin' more on this album than on ADTOE (which to my ears was very proggy). I like that idea :) Maybe they will get the Grammy this time?....

« Reply #4100 on: August 01, 2013, 01:18:31 AM »
Interesting comments from the two blog guys that were at the listening party. I know their comments are subjective and can be said about most of DT's albums, but for some reason I belive this album is going to be a little bit different.

Well, they seem to be familiar with DT's discography, so methinks that those comments might be made in relation to most DT albums, which just means those aspects are taken that much further. I am really curious about just how un-succumbing to loudness wars it is.

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #4101 on: August 01, 2013, 01:28:16 AM »

Well, they seem to be familiar with DT's discography, so methinks that those comments might be made in relation to most DT albums, which just means those aspects are taken that much further. I am really curious about just how un-succumbing to loudness wars it is.

Fair point. I am not to worried about that though. But contrary to a lot of people here I guess my hearing is fucked up since I like the mix and sound of ADTOE ;)

« Reply #4102 on: August 01, 2013, 01:29:46 AM »
Fair point. I am not to worried about that though. But contrary to a lot of people here I guess my hearing is fuck up since I like the mix and sound of ADTO ;)

It's okay. I like the mix and sound of SC.  :xbones

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #4103 on: August 01, 2013, 01:37:16 AM »
https://www.bryanreesman.com/2013/07/31/dream-theater-unveils-new-album-2013/

Referring to the link above: I ask myself why they chose this album to be the first one that's being played via a listening party..and the article gives the answer: it's more mainstream, and they knew it, and I don't like it

Here's another take: JR attended the listening party of Steven Wilson's TRTRTS earlier this year and had a great time. Suggested to the band to host a similar gathering and they all agreed.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #4104 on: August 01, 2013, 01:40:51 AM »
https://www.bryanreesman.com/2013/07/31/dream-theater-unveils-new-album-2013/

Referring to the link above: I ask myself why they chose this album to be the first one that's being played via a listening party..and the article gives the answer: it's more mainstream, and they knew it, and I don't like it

Here's another take: JR attended the listening party of Steven Wilson's TRTRTS earlier this year and had a great time. Suggested to the band to host a similar gathering and they all agreed.
Don't be crazy, it's never that simple.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Petruccinator12

« Reply #4105 on: August 01, 2013, 01:45:55 AM »
I know I'm pessimistic right no but I don't seem to recall when we've heard the last "positive" news/review about the album...

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #4106 on: August 01, 2013, 01:48:20 AM »
I know I'm pessimistic right no but I don't seem to recall when we've heard the last "positive" news/review about the album...

I thought all the reviews from the listening party were positive....

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4107 on: August 01, 2013, 01:50:47 AM »

Every single one of the listening party reviews posted within the past day has been positive. I don't know what you've taken as less than positive. You're beyond pessimistic, you're downright cynical! :P
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #4108 on: August 01, 2013, 01:53:58 AM »
I like this forum because of all the analysis that is going on. But sometimes it feels like we are entering the "Paralysis by analysis"-syndrome (overthinking) that the music comes secondhand and the analysis first.

For me it is better to just relax and enjoy whatever comes without thinking much about it...and in DT's case, pretty much all of their music for me in any shape, form or genre.

« Reply #4109 on: August 01, 2013, 01:56:13 AM »
For me it is better to just relax and enjoy whatever comes without thinking much about it...and in DT's case, pretty much all of their music for me in any shape, form or genre.

:clap: amen.

Offline Petruccinator12

« Reply #4110 on: August 01, 2013, 01:58:09 AM »

Every single one of the listening party reviews posted within the past day has been positive. I don't know what you've taken as less than positive. You're beyond pessimistic, you're downright cynical! :P

Hmm..maybe what I consider negative is for example "hour long instead 70 minutes" ?!?! "19 minutes IT instead of 22" ?!??! Everything's more accesible, more mainstream?!?! Don't get me wrong, it's not that I whine about 3 lost minutes from IT but the flow of information is very inconsistent and often differs a lot..

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4111 on: August 01, 2013, 02:02:34 AM »

Hmm..maybe what I consider negative is for example "hour long instead 70 minutes" ?!?! "19 minutes IT instead of 22" ?!??! Everything's more accesible, more mainstream?!?! Don't get me wrong, it's not that I whine about 3 lost minutes from IT but the flow of information is very inconsistent

1. Keep in mind that the people at the listening party didn't have stopwatches out timing the album. An hour long is a rounded off estimation for the purpose of a short article, not an exact measurement of the length of the album in a detailed review. We have it unofficially confirmed that the album is about 70 minutes.

2. Would it really matter if the song is 19 minutes as opposed to 22 minutes? We know the album has an "easter egg", which from experience usually occur at the end of the album after the last track after some silence. So the song may be 19 minutes long, but the track itself 22 minutes long. Just a thought!

3. More accessible and mainstream is a subjective and vague description, nothing to worry about. The track lengths alone could justify describing it as such. It has a 20 minute epic, and a lot of instrumental stuff confirmed. I'd call IaW more accessible and mainstream than BCASL, but not less proggy or complex. These aren't inherently bad terms, and don't mean much without context.

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #4112 on: August 01, 2013, 02:04:26 AM »

Hmm..maybe what I consider negative is for example "hour long instead 70 minutes" ?!?! "19 minutes IT instead of 22" ?!??! Everything's more accesible, more mainstream?!?! Don't get me wrong, it's not that I whine about 3 lost minutes from IT but the flow of information is very inconsistent and often differs a lot..

Don't sweat it man! It is the quality and not the quantity of the music that counts! ;)

« Reply #4113 on: August 01, 2013, 02:05:42 AM »

Don't sweat it man! It is the quality and not the quantity of the music that counts! ;)

As long as the whole album isn't 35 minutes, like Queensryche.  :lol

Offline Petruccinator12

« Reply #4114 on: August 01, 2013, 02:07:15 AM »

Hmm..maybe what I consider negative is for example "hour long instead 70 minutes" ?!?! "19 minutes IT instead of 22" ?!??! Everything's more accesible, more mainstream?!?! Don't get me wrong, it's not that I whine about 3 lost minutes from IT but the flow of information is very inconsistent

1. Keep in mind that the people at the listening party didn't have stopwatches out timing the album. An hour long is a rounded off estimation for the purpose of a short article, not an exact measurement of the length of the album in a detailed review. We have it unofficially confirmed that the album is about 70 minutes.

2. Would it really matter if the song is 19 minutes as opposed to 22 minutes? We know the album has an "easter egg", which from experience usually occur at the end of the album after the last track after some silence. So the song may be 19 minutes long, but the track itself 22 minutes long. Just a thought!

3. More accessible and mainstream is a subjective and vague description, nothing to worry about. The track lengths alone could justify describing it as such. It has a 20 minute epic, and a lot of instrumental stuff confirmed. I'd call IaW more accessible and mainstream than BCASL, but not less proggy or complex. These aren't inherently bad things, and don't mean much without context.

Thanks for always changing my mind in a positive way! I agree with all 3 points though I was already thinking the same...I thought I'd share my thoughts =)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4115 on: August 01, 2013, 02:10:11 AM »
Thanks for always changing my mind in a positive way! I agree with all 3 points though I was already thinking the same...I thought I'd share my thoughts =)

Just doing my part to keep the speculation from running off the rails. :lol

:trainwreck:

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #4116 on: August 01, 2013, 02:12:00 AM »

As long as the whole album isn't 35 minutes, like Queensryche.  :lol

;D It is not in DT's DNA to make that short of an album! (even their EP's are longer) ;)

« Reply #4117 on: August 01, 2013, 02:12:51 AM »

Just doing my part to keep the speculation from running off the rails. :lol

:trainwreck:

Well, you certainly managed to save his train of thought just when it's about to crash.

;D It is not in DT's DNA to make that short of an album! (even their EP's are longer) ;)

Heck, Six Degrees was longer.

Offline Petruccinator12

« Reply #4118 on: August 01, 2013, 02:59:03 AM »
I don't get it...how is it possible that we already got a Trivium single without even knowing a release date for the album ^^ Oh man...this logic is killing me :P

Offline adastra

« Reply #4119 on: August 01, 2013, 03:04:06 AM »
Why everyone is psyched about the epic ?!  ;D  I don't care if song is short or long if it is good!
I walk beside you is 4mins and it has been my favourite song from day it was released  :heart
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Freko

« Reply #4120 on: August 01, 2013, 03:10:46 AM »
Why everyone is psyched about the epic ?!  ;D  I don't care if song is short or long if it is good!
I walk beside you is 4mins and it has been my favourite song from day it was released  :heart

That´s what I told Rudess some time ago and he was like

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #4121 on: August 01, 2013, 03:50:10 AM »
I had a dream last night where I listened to FAS. Why can't I have dreams like that 24h a day :(

Offline adastra

« Reply #4122 on: August 01, 2013, 03:50:35 AM »

That´s what I told Rudess some time ago and he was like

Haha , LOL!  ;D
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4123 on: August 01, 2013, 03:53:39 AM »

"I'll see you...

...in your nightmares".
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline liran95

« Reply #4124 on: August 01, 2013, 03:58:17 AM »
I had a dream last night where I listened to FAS. Why can't I have dreams like that 24h a day :(

And what was it like??  :omg: :omg:

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #4125 on: August 01, 2013, 04:00:09 AM »
I bet you wish your awakening had been a false one :neverusethis:

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #4126 on: August 01, 2013, 04:01:44 AM »

It sounded like Symphony X :huh:

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4127 on: August 01, 2013, 04:10:24 AM »

It sounded like Symphony X :huh:

Ah, the influence of our readings  :biggrin:
- Marco

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #4128 on: August 01, 2013, 04:15:27 AM »
I had a dream last night where i put on the new DT in a car that my friend was driving, and he became so flustered by the music that he put the pedal to the floor and ran down a pedestrian...

WTF is going on in my dreams?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4129 on: August 01, 2013, 04:18:47 AM »
I had a dream last night where i put on the new DT in a car that my friend was driving, and he became so flustered by the music that he put the pedal to the floor and ran down a pedestrian...

WTF is going on in my dreams?

Sounds entirely plausible to me. Which is why I listened to ADTOE for the first time in my car, yes, but safely parked.  :lol
- Marco