Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 921872 times)

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
Maybe we should wait for a confirmation to show this review.

Which review..?

He also needs an authorization to tell you which review...

Offline Petruccinator12

Maybe we should wait for a confirmation to show this review.

Which review..?

He also needs an authorization to tell you which review...

Oh, come on... -.-

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
Here's my theory on why this thread is getting confusing/rediculous.

Someone will post an article with false information. People will discuss for a few posts about whether the post with the false information is legit and or reliable. Then it will be confirmed that it's not legit or reliable, and the post will be taken down. BUT the ensuing chaotic discussion of said false information will NOT be deleted. This causes much confusion for those who come in late to the discussion. Perhaps it is just me.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Nearmyth

If these times ARE true, I'd just like to point out that this is the first album since WDADU without a 10-19 minute song.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Petruccinator12

If these times ARE true, I'd just like to point out that this is the first album since WDADU without a 10-19 minute song.

Well, but at least one over 20 minutes :P But which set of song lengths are you referring to now..? :P
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 10:26:47 AM by Petruccinator12 »

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
From Page 88:

1. False Awakening Suite – 2:42
2. The Enemy Inside – 6:17
3. The Looking Glass – 4:53
4. Enigma Machine – 6:01
5. The Bigger Picture – 7:40
6. Behind The Veil – 6:52
7. Surrender To Reason – 6:34
8. Along For The Ride – 4:45
9. Illumination Theory – 22:17

I was hoping for FAS to be longer, but since it is a sub-3 minute instrumental, it'll probably pack a big punch. It's a tired comparison, but if it has a similar impact as Overture 1928 did, I'll be quite happy.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Petruccinator12

Well...this time around no ones seems to be bothered by the wikipedia edit.....

Offline ibosmiley

I'm cool with those song lengths if they are actually true.  A lot of shorter songs... a very cool thing.  A suite under 3 minutes... I dig that... not what you expect... rather... progressive.
"Are you listening to the words I say.  In the meadows my thoughts dance and play.  I know now I'm the only one.  Who can convince the rising sun"

Offline Petruccinator12

I'm cool with those song lengths if they are actually true.  A lot of shorter songs... a very cool thing.  A suite under 3 minutes... I dig that... not what you expect... rather... progressive.

I like them as well! The only I'd change: At least one more song above the 10-minute mark, preferably FAS =)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
I was hoping for FAS to be longer, but since it is a sub-3 minute instrumental, it'll probably pack a big punch. It's a tired comparison, but if it has a similar impact as Overture 1928 did, I'll be quite happy.

Doubt it, honestly.  They said FAS would be a replacement for their usual concert openers, which are usually intro clips from movie soundtracks.  Those clips are usually more atmospheric and suspenseful than high-energy like Overture 1928.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
Why is the epic always at the end?  :huh:
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Would you rather it be in the beginning?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Why is the epic always at the end?  :huh:

Because it's a climactic ending, and it's a bit hard to follow it up. It doesn't have to be at the end, but it works well at the end.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
The idea is that usually the main course is served in the middle of the meal, but since this epic contains chocolate as we already know, it will be served as a dessert  :biggrin:

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
The idea is that usually the main course is served in the middle of the meal, but since this epic contains chocolate as we already know, it will be served as a dessert  :biggrin:

A very large dessert  :o
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni

The best kind!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier

The best kind!

Come and have a taste, a rare dessert
All the finest chocolates improve with age

Offline dongringo

I hate chocolate cake. Why couldn't he have likened the guitar tone to a cheese enchilada?
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
I hate chocolate cake. Why couldn't he have likened the guitar tone to a cheese enchilada?

You want the new album to give me gas?

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Petruccinator12

...you hate chocolate cake? How's that possible? :P

Offline Lucien

I know at least two people who despise chocolate in general.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets

Why do you hate America?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni

Why do you hate America?

Communist

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline dongringo

The food isn't as good in America. Viva Mexico!  :lol
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Petruccinator12

Seemingly, the current title lengths are correct............?!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent

Why do you hate America?

Communist

no u

Seemingly, the current title lengths are correct............?!

Yeah, noxon basically confirmed them.

Offline Lucien

It seems like it. I just can't wait to hear Illumination Theory.

Ooh, let's talk about IT.  :biggrin: ;D :biggrin:

Paradoxe de la Lumiere Noire (Paradox of the Black Light) is the introduction, and it's name makes me think it will be like the Octavarium intro, perhaps with more of the band involved.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni

Why do you hate America?

Communist

no u

Nuh uh.

Ok so I wet my lips with a bunch of DT, JLB and PT recently... but nothing can kill my thirst for this album. Hopefully something (single? reviews? interviews? more press photos? ANYTHING) comes... soon

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Madman Shepherd

Lactose intolerance.  It is no laughing matter. 

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent

Paradoxe de la Lumiere Noire (Paradox of the Black Light) is the introduction, and it's name makes me think it will be like the Octavarium intro, perhaps with more of the band involved.

I'm all for Jordan having long, spacey solos.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
The food isn't as good in America. Viva Mexico!  :lol

Aah, so you're a fan of the proper xocolatl then.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Petruccinator12

I don't have the progress chart before my eyes...but one song was called "Yarrgh". This is FAS then, right? But what about the easter egg? What about the other 9 songs on the board? :/ Am I missing out on something?
I'd agree that paradoxe d.l.l.n. sounds like some kind of instrumental intro =)

Offline Petruccinator12

I add: Yes, I agree that Noxon indirectly confirmed the song lengths :D

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price

Actually, the structure of the album seems very 8V-ish, now that I think of it.  Mostly shorter songs concluded by a 20+ minute epic.

Offline Petruccinator12

Actually, the structure of the album seems very 8V-ish, now that I think of it.  Mostly shorter songs concluded by a 20+ minute epic.

I'd say so too that it seems to have an Octavarium structure......I cannot tell for sure if I like it though...just one song above the 10-minute mark :/ I'd hoped there would be at least two....