Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 921558 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

Btw, that string part has to be super sad, if you listen to what Jordan says right after. You can find the argument we're discussing from 1:14 to 1:55 of the last In The Studio video.
Incorrect. He gave that as an example of something JP might say to him when asking him to come up with something, he didn't say that that particular section was that way.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline chaotic_ripper

It's funny that reviewers are saying less keyboard solos.  The first thing I thought when I read that was Awake...kinda like what I thought when I saw the album cover.  Just saying.

Offline erciccio

noxon over to 5/8 (think he's here too) listened to his copy. He hasn't put up any offical thoughts yet, but it seems like he didn't really like it. I forget how he felt about ADTOE.

He liked ADTOE a lot.

First rumors (I would not call them reviews) are contradictory...

Noxon doesn't like it. No explanations.
Classi Prog Maz likes it. Different from ADTOE, more melodic etc..
Tbe Brasilians folks like it but not that much. Very similar to ADTOE and horrible drums sound.

Overall I have lowered my expectations...but I'm still not sure all the guys above have listened to the same album... ::)
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di pił

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
I haven't said anything either way. You have to read into the context of the thread what my words are. All I've said is that it's pretty different from what I expected, and that it requires a few more listens before i can categorically state anything about it. I have only heard it a couple of times thus far, and the initial reactions will not necessarily hold true.

This is also why I've refrained from being serious about it thus far :P

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
Noxon doesn't like it. No explanations.
Classi Prog Maz likes it. Different from ADTOE, more melodic etc..
Tbe Brasilians folks like it but not that much. Very similar to ADTOE and horrible drums sound.
noxon didn't say explicitly that he doesn't like it, he just said that he needs to give it more listens to overcome being underwhelmed/overwhelmed by expectations. He sort of implies he is not enjoying it in response to one post, but here's a pro five-eight tip for you: it's cool to hate on dream theater, repost avatars, repost spelling/grammatical errors and call people gay virgins. point being: don't take anything anyone says there about DT too seriously lol.
As far as i'm concerned, besides the Classic Prog Magazine review, I don't believe anything anyone has said about the album thus far. Lack of credibility from most of these sources...

EDIT: Oh hi Noxon...

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
^ I'll bet on the... Brazilian (but weren't they from a Spanish speaking country? or is my brain turning Portuguese into Spanish?) folks not listening to it at all until some proper review on a proper webzine surfaces from the same dude. The statements are just a hint too dubious for me to believe them. Smells like carefully choosing "info" that would upset as many fans as possible (well, on a small scale anyway).

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline erciccio

Spanish, you are right! Not Brasilians...(on 5/8 the discussion turned somehow to Brasilians and I got confused..)

Noxon..the comparison with the WDs was a bit "scary"... :-\

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Noxon..the comparison with the WDs was a bit "scary"... :-\

WDs?
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
Winery Dogs. I said that it was better than new DT. And just for the record, I hadn't heard a single song off of WD when i wrote that. It was a joke as a respons to another joke about my account being hacked (made because people thought i was dissing the album, and therefore it couldn't really be me) :P

But nevermind about me. I won't give you a real review until I'm ready to do so, nor any comments confirming or denying rumors. I won't spoil in other places than in my review. Please, I will not spoil. I will make a review on our site, and link it in a review thread here. In this thread I won't reveal anything that hasn't been revealed elsewhere.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:10:05 AM by noxon »

Offline erciccio

Winery Dogs. And just for the record, I hadn't heard a single song off of WD when i wrote that. It was a joke with regards to my account being hacked :P

;D Don't play these tricks to poor DT fan boys, Nox, you might kill someone!!  :xbones

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
noxon in what way is this album different to what you were expecting? i mean without giving your opinion or anything about the album away, would you say it's the production or the musical content itself that has surprised you (or both)?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Alright, then! :D

Is there anything else you can say compatibly with your role and with whatever purpose you were given the record?
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline tiagodon

Winery Dogs. I said that it was better than new DT. And just for the record, I hadn't heard a single song off of WD when i wrote that.

I think you have listened to their debut by now. So... you still feel that way?
(considering it was not a joke...)

Offline emtee

No review, either positive or negative will have any impact on my listening experience. The only thing that will concern me is if I start
to see multiple reviews that mention poor sonic quality and/or poor drum sound.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
wasteland: just look through my previous posts on this forum and you'll understand.

tiagodon: it was a joke, i haven't listened to either of the albums enough to possibly be able to make an opinion, besides they're so in different ends of the spectrum that making a comparison would be futile anyways. One is a blues rock album, the other is a prog metal album.

Offline erciccio

wasteland: just look through my previous posts on this forum and you'll understand.

tiagodon: it was a joke, i haven't listened to either of the albums enough to possibly be able to make an opinion, besides they're so in different ends of the spectrum that making a comparison would be futile anyways. One is a blues rock album, the other is a prog metal album.

Which one is the blues rock? given your first impressions, you never know... ;D

Offline Petruccinator12

As strange as it seems..the only thing I am really interested about is how long the total album length is...maybe you could lighten things up, Noxon? =)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Does the length matter? :zydar:

E:
^ I'll bet on the... Brazilian (but weren't they from a Spanish speaking country? or is my brain turning Portuguese into Spanish?) folks not listening to it at all until some proper review on a proper webzine surfaces from the same dude. The statements are just a hint too dubious for me to believe them. Smells like carefully choosing "info" that would upset as many fans as possible (well, on a small scale anyway).
But do we know if this reviewer guy has even visited this forum or some other place with many DT fans?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:25:07 AM by ? »

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
Does the length matter? :zydar:

If the cd is too short, we could always compensate with a sports car.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Well, having a possible in-depth review is very nice...
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well, let's wait for the review and not bore noxon with many more questions? ;)

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Lucien

Well, let's wait for the review and not bore noxon with many more questions? ;)

Offline matte.braso

noxon's review is going to arrive..

soon.

Offline Lucien

noxon's review will probably take a bit of time considering the album doesn't speak to him instantly.

Fixed for all of us

Offline tiagodon

The thing with DT is that it takes a few listens before you can say "I loved it" or "I hated it" (regarding an album).

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
And I totally get not being able to decide. I have so much emotional baggage with Dream Theater at this point, I probably won't be able to decide how I actually feel about it after 10 listens, let alone write a review.

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
I see it as a positive if it takes NOXON a lot of listens to get a feel for the new album. The albums I have spent a lot of time getting in to usually ends up as my favourites.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
I will never understand that. I instantly know if I like a song or not. I can like songs a little bit more or less with time, but I instantly know if I dig it, hate it or anything in between. One listen is all it takes for me, always.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
I will never understand that. I instantly know if I like a song or not. I can like songs a little bit more or less with time, but I instantly know if I dig it, hate it or anything in between. One listen is all it takes for me, always.

It has always been that way for me. I couldn't stand Lie (on Awake) the first time(s) I heard it...as a matter of fact I used to skip that track. Now it is one of my all time favourite DT tracks. Somthing just "clicked" after several years....can't explain it. 

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
I don't think this is necessarily true. I personally think it's good to give some things a couple of shots, particularly when you're listening to an artist or genre of music that is unfamiliar or that you wouldn't typically explore. it's a good way of learning to love music for reasons other than how proggy and/or metal they are.

Offline Lucien

It took me at least 3 listens to like Metropolis Pt. 1, and even more listens to like Learning to Live.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
I found a song. James sings the word "crucify" a lot during the chorus

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Guys, let's show noxon some respect and stop badgering him for info.  He said he will do a review.  Until then, let it be.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Mangini sounds great, too! Drum sound much improved!

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
Mangini sounds great, too! Drum sound much improved!
oh wait that is Mangini on that album, right?
I'm totally listening to that now...