Poll

Pick your favorite game. (Original Series only)

Final Fantasy
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy II
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy III
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy IV (II)
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy V
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy VI (III)
29 (22.1%)
Final Fantasy VII
37 (28.2%)
Final Fantasy VIII
10 (7.6%)
Final Fantasy IX
17 (13%)
Final Fantasy X
13 (9.9%)
Final Fantasy XI
0 (0%)
Final Fantasy XII
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy XIII
3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Author Topic: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread  (Read 177310 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread
« Reply #1855 on: December 17, 2016, 06:25:48 AM »
Finished :o  :'( :'(

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1856 on: December 17, 2016, 02:09:00 PM »
No spoilers please....

I'm having fun playing all the sidequests. I hated the professor one with the frogs. Overall a fun game barely on chapter 5.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1857 on: December 17, 2016, 03:02:23 PM »
Fuck the frogs.

I gave up after 4. Was looking for the final one for days. In game and in IRL too.

No spoilers but Chapter 13 is super miserable but keep at it. It does get better.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1858 on: December 17, 2016, 03:30:46 PM »
Fuck the frogs.

I gave up after 4. Was looking for the final one for days. In game and in IRL too.

No spoilers but Chapter 13 is super miserable but keep at it. It does get better.

The last ones I knew were gonna be somewhere stupid. And sure enough they were. Just search during the morning all around the edges.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1859 on: December 17, 2016, 03:47:40 PM »
I actually JUST found it :D

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1860 on: December 17, 2016, 06:18:16 PM »

Be prepared for the Yellow ones.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1861 on: December 17, 2016, 10:08:44 PM »
Finally finished myself. Beautiful game, I really loved it. Watched some explainers on YouTube and now I want even more. Def will rewatch everything and read the novelization before starting a NG+.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1862 on: December 18, 2016, 08:10:11 AM »

Be prepared for the Yellow ones.

That's what it was. Took days.

I read that the DLC is going to allow you to start the game over with the stats you finished the game with. :D I really hope so. That'll be funny.

But I really just want a whole plethora of new side-quests and a lot more rare coins and debased banknotes to find for the EXP trick.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1863 on: December 18, 2016, 05:38:02 PM »
How to get loads of EXP & Gil...

0. Go to Altissia ( Moghoo Cafe )  and eat the Lasagne for 100% EXP

1. Equip Noct with the Moogle Charm.

2. Combine 1x Fire with all of one kind of rare coin / debased banknotes. Anything that gives you bonus EXP.

3. Go to Ravatogh shop. Ask for the Verinas Mart Hunt.

4. Go to the Wyverns & use the fire you combined with all your rare coins. Then Kill the Wyverns.

5. Go back to the shop and turn in the hunt. Then sell all your Wyvern feathers. You 'll have atleast 4 and they sell for 1,600 gil a time.

6. Repeat 3 - 5 until you are out of fire/EXP. Keep taking the same Hunt / selling the wyvern feathers.

7. When you have racked up considerable EXP - go back to Altissia and stay at the hotel for 3x overall EXP earned for a massive level up.

8. Repeat the whole thing the next day. Money should not be a problem if you keep selling the Wyvern feathers !
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 04:44:29 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1864 on: December 19, 2016, 01:06:11 AM »
So I finished the game this weekend. I have really mixed feelings but overall, I had a great time with the game!  :tup Once you got a better understanding of the main villain, he turned out be one of my favorite villains! Didn't expect that.
And yeah, chapter 13 was horrible for a couple of reasons. But that final chapter...man, that was much more epic than I expected.

Overall, a really well made game. It had a lot more heart than I expected. The only thing I disliked were the car and the driving sequences. So much time spent doing nothing and listening to old Final Fantasy music. It was fun at first but got old fast. :lol
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1865 on: December 19, 2016, 04:28:43 AM »
The driving was one of my fave parts !!!

Maybe it's because I love driving myself and going for long cruises...

[SPOILER]

I wish Iggy's sight returned but in Chapter 14 he may as well have it back. He's gotten used to it in 10 years.

[/SPOILER]

Ardyn was flamboyant and cocky. His voice really fit his character. I was on like level 70 when I finished so he was a piece of p*ss.

Ifirit before him was harder.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1866 on: December 20, 2016, 01:32:21 AM »
After thinking about it for a few days, I've collected my thoughts on the story of the game. Spoiler territory, beware.

It's a really good, interesting story. A young prince being sent away from his home land, toughens up and then returns to claim the throne. It's a classic tale and combined with a main villain with a REALLY interesting back story and motivations (not to mention an awesome voice actor to play him) is as awesome a setup as you're gonna get. Also, you have an unusual love story - not the oh so cliched and over-done love story between a guy and a girl but between four grown-up men, going through hardship together. Sometimes fighting, always being there for each other.

(Well, the guy-girl love story is there but its really underplayed. Which might be considered another story execution problem but I digress.)

I think the blocks are there for a truly great story. Unfortunately, the execution lefts a lot to be desired. Lots of stuff happens offscreen, leaving our main characters only reacting to events after the fact. Not only that, but stuff happens to your main character off screen! Like Ignis blindness - for several hours I was waiting for a better explaination than "it happened in the Leviathan battle". But I never got that.
Also, Promptos revelation felt really odd to me. It came from nowhere because it wasn't really hinted at at all before and the only effect is him being able to open a door for the party. I guess the intention was to hammer in the friendship even further, by showing that the rest of the cast didn't give a shit about his origins. Which is IMO fair enough, but it could have been executed better. Make Prompto act weird lots of hours before hand, making the other characters questioning his loyalty. Set it up, and then pay it off with an emotional scene where they decide to stand together, no matter what.

It may sound like I hated the story but I promise I didn't. :lol I'm just a bit frustrated because the foundations are so great! But I still very much enjoyed it and was left satisfied after having defeated the last boss. :tup After they've released the New Game Plus patch, I may even go back.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1867 on: December 20, 2016, 06:38:41 AM »
Agree with all of that Lynxo. There's some really good explainers on Youtube you may want to check out if you haven't already. Really frustrating how much depth there is, and how many important details were left out of the game. I suspect a 10-20hr DLC that lets you freely roam the second continent (probably the original intent) would do wonders. Fantastic game, but it's no Witcher 3.

I will say that, doing post-game content, I do feel more like the game is broken. Initially I thought I was just playing wrong, but the reality is there's no way to play this game without constantly cheesing healing items. And there are a lot of other strange mechanics that seem like they're there just because the game was unplayable without them (i.e., being able to heal yourself after you "die"). All this was forgivable while working through the story, but now that it's done, I don't really feel compelled to play the game for its own sake.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1868 on: December 20, 2016, 07:11:18 AM »
I love the game and everything, but yeah my one complaint is that all the auxiliary story content isn't just in the game. It annoyed me with The Matrix reloaded as well, with Enter the matrix and Animatrix. Just put it in instead of cutting it up.

I watched Kinsglaive and brotherhood before beginning and even with watching those, I still had to make an effort put the pieces together story wise. But all that aside, I haven't put this much time into a game in a long, long ass time. I'm around 70 hours at this point so I am very happy overall.

Online OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1869 on: December 20, 2016, 11:00:22 AM »
Haven't beaten the game, so I've only skimmed this thread. But I'm currently on Chapter 13 of the main quest. So far, loving the game. I stopped around chapter 3 to do side quests and have been about 10 lvls ahead the rest of the way, which I don't mind. But it makes for an easy runthrough of the game. I've heard that Ch.13 is the worst, but I've been enjoying the first 10-15 minutes of it. Looking forward to the ending and when I'm able to jump into the conversation.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1870 on: December 20, 2016, 11:25:23 AM »
Being able to use a Phoenix Down on YOURSELF was something I always thought was lacking in FF up til now.

Why should it be game over ? Why couldn't one of your party use a PD on you ? You can use on them ?

Makes sense to me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1871 on: December 21, 2016, 05:56:09 AM »
New game+ update out today.

Start the game over with your saved stats.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1872 on: December 21, 2016, 08:47:06 AM »
New game+ update out today.

Start the game over with your saved stats.

Did they ad new story content? Really trying to figure out what's in this 3 gig patch.
Loading times seem better.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1873 on: December 21, 2016, 09:23:31 AM »
I'm not sure what else - there's a bigger update tomorrow...

But I finished the game already so doing it again with all my best weapons and on level 99 :biggrin:

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1874 on: December 28, 2016, 04:34:09 AM »
LOVE IT.... :hat

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1875 on: December 28, 2016, 04:45:20 AM »
Photographer Vyv in Lestallum gives piss easy quests for lots of money and EXP.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1876 on: December 28, 2016, 05:06:03 AM »
I know already...

I'm on chapter 11....about to get to the dreaded 13th

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1877 on: December 28, 2016, 05:12:21 AM »
Just plough thru it ASAP. It gets better afterwards.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1878 on: December 28, 2016, 06:14:54 AM »
Ugh....I just saw it. And love the acting before it starts

Online OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1879 on: December 28, 2016, 06:22:14 AM »
I actually had no issue with Chapter 13 at all. Maybe I'm just easy to please, but I thought it was actually pretty cool. Played out almost like a horror-type game with how creepy the enemies were. And, yeah it was a little bit long, but that's after the previous 2-4 chapters took me like 15-20 minutes each. I was okay with spending some time in a chapter, especially one where the point was basically to sneak around.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1880 on: December 28, 2016, 06:35:07 AM »
I actually had no issue with Chapter 13 at all. Maybe I'm just easy to please, but I thought it was actually pretty cool. Played out almost like a horror-type game with how creepy the enemies were. And, yeah it was a little bit long, but that's after the previous 2-4 chapters took me like 15-20 minutes each. I was okay with spending some time in a chapter, especially one where the point was basically to sneak around.

I may be wrong but the Ring of Lucis seems a bit more powerful in the update.

Also - someone remind me - does Chapter 13 start when the 4 of you are in the tomb bickering and end up fighting the plant monster ?

Or does it start On the train to Tenebrae when you met Shiva and enter Ardyn's lair ?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1881 on: December 28, 2016, 06:44:08 AM »
Never mind I just looked it up.

As soon as I got the others back and could summon Umbra I did :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1882 on: December 28, 2016, 08:36:43 AM »
It's so tedious

Online OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1883 on: December 28, 2016, 09:12:47 AM »
I may be wrong but the Ring of Lucis seems a bit more powerful in the update.

I'm unsure, I played that Chapter before the update. But I think I heard that may be the case.
WELP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1884 on: December 28, 2016, 09:26:04 AM »
It's so tedious

Yeah I just tried to run thru it as quick as poss. I actually quite like the *feel* of Chapter 13.

Also I think in the update - that huge monster you encounter whilst waiting for the lift ( Faros ) - follows you around. Because I don't remember him being in the level

after the first time you see him. And even being on level 99 like I was 2nd time I played it - you can't kill him because you have to defeat him later with all 4 of you.

Oh it sucked.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1885 on: December 28, 2016, 12:03:45 PM »
It's so tedious

Yeah I just tried to run thru it as quick as poss. I actually quite like the *feel* of Chapter 13.

Also I think in the update - that huge monster you encounter whilst waiting for the lift ( Faros ) - follows you around. Because I don't remember him being in the level

after the first time you see him. And even being on level 99 like I was 2nd time I played it - you can't kill him because you have to defeat him later with all 4 of you.

Oh it sucked.

I don't have the "newest" update. But yeah, he follows you and pops up randomly. I almost died because of him.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1886 on: December 28, 2016, 12:11:54 PM »
2nd time he was just there constantly until I got into a stairwell. I was fuming.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1887 on: December 28, 2016, 06:10:12 PM »
Finally...yeah it is a good payoff for all that.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1888 on: January 09, 2017, 09:05:15 AM »
Kefka and Sephiroth have some company at the top... at long last! Loved the villain of XV (even more so once I grasped what he truly was and all).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1889 on: January 09, 2017, 09:15:00 AM »
I love Ardyn. So charismatic but so slimy too. His voice fits perfectly and I actually like his narration in Chapter 13. It gives that whole section a cool eerie vibe.