Author Topic: Official Queensryche Thread - NEW ALBUM INFO. p. 30  (Read 50455 times)

Offline jammindude

There are "egos" and there are "assholes"....

"Egos" I can be a bit more passive about.   But openly defiant gits???  Screw them.   I got Appetite and Use Your Illusion for free (but legitimate) means, and I will not buy anything more from Axl Rose.   Yngwie is another one that I wished I owned more from...but I just can't bring myself to do it because of what a colossal dick he is.

I haven't heard much nastiness from Skid Row.   I've seen SB in some reality shows....he's more of an "ego"...not really a complete asshole, just a bit full of himself from time to time.  (but you need *a bit* of that in a lead singer sometimes)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The other thing people will point out is Tate's temper and his alleged assaults on band members. Putting your hands on somebody and assaulting them is never acceptable. But again, I can't go through my collection and remove albums containing members who have committed criminal offences.  I think the Tate lead QR albums for the last decade have been sub par but will give this a chance at least.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars

I'm with wolf on this one. I for one can't base my music collection on who is an asshole and who isn't. If that was the case, my collection would be redused quite abit. No more Skid Row and GnR for example. Tate is an ass based on the information provided no question. But I'm going to listen to this with an open mind. I've wanted heavy Queensryche for years. Now it seems there may be two heavy releases in the next couple months. The list of guest stars is very intriguing too.

Nicely said Jason, agree too.  For me, I'd have to throw out all my Yngwie, Iced Earth, Megadeth, WASP etc. albums, and I'm sure as hell not gonna do that.

And yeah, we might get two decent metal albums out of this, or we may get one, or maybe none, who knows at this stage.

Yea, put me in that category, too.  Rock stars are not exactly known for being the most humble and reasonable of people.  If I had to throw out all my rock or metal albums which were made by pretentious, self-absorbed egomaniacs, I wouldn't have much left for listening!  Hell, by those standards, I'd never be able to listen to classical music at all; Mozart and Beethoven were both insufferably selfish and narcissistic in life, and the less said about Wagner's social-political views, the better!

When Tate first got fired and the court documents started making their way to the internet (courtesy of Samsara's Breakdown Room, of course!   :tup)  I did get a bit heated about how Tate had blatantly abused his position as lead singer to marginalize the other guys and remake the band in his image.  Combined with having to put up with a decade and a half of mediocre Queensryche albums, as well as Geoff's exceptionally shameful behaviour at the end of the QR tenure, I saw Geoff Tate as the root of everything that was wrong with Queensryche, and wanted nothing to do with him ever again.  At this point though, I've cooled off a bit, and while I still whole Tate primarily responsible to the decline of QR, it should be noted that the other guys (DeGarmo included) allowed it to happen, so while Tate deserves most of the blame, not all of it should be placed on him alone. 

So I will check out Geoff's "Queensryche" album, at least out of curiosity if nothing else.  Since it has been written with Jason Slater, I think there is a chance it may turn out half-way decent, like O:M II and American Solider.  However that is as high as my hopes will rise for that record.  Maybe half of it will be genuinely good songs, but the rest I expect to be sappy tripe or awkward experimental ideas that just don't work.  No matter who plays on it, Geoff's singing will most likely drag down any quality music there is to be found on the album.  Considering that his voice has been of abysmal quality ever since Take Cover, even in the studio, I don't expect him to suddenly get his shit together vocally now.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I'm with wolf on this one. I for one can't base my music collection on who is an asshole and who isn't. If that was the case, my collection would be redused quite abit. No more Skid Row and GnR for example. Tate is an ass based on the information provided no question. But I'm going to listen to this with an open mind. I've wanted heavy Queensryche for years. Now it seems there may be two heavy releases in the next couple months. The list of guest stars is very intriguing too.

In the abstract, I agree with you.  But there is also a big difference, IMO, between just being a jerk, and being violent, abusive, and insulting to your bandmates and your fans.  To physically assault his bandmates, to spit on his bandmates during the performance, which lasted well over an hour, and to do the same thing at subsequent shows, and to continue to this very day to brag about it and call his bandmates p*ssies, and to insult the fans (who had nothing to do with any of the above) p*ssies and tell them they suck, are not understandable actions that some people can easily dismiss. They are the antics of a low-class bully who is full of himself and has no respect for others who disagree with him. And they are the antics of a hypocrite who is acting 180 degrees contrary to the principles he has claimed to be all about for a long, long time.

That isn't to say that you or anyone else shouldn't buy the album or listen to the music if you want to.  But for those of us that feel the way we do, there is more than good reason to NOT want to buy the album or listen to the music.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
They are the antics of a low-class bully who is full of himself and has no respect for others who disagree with him. And they are the antics of a hypocrite who is acting 180 degrees contrary to the principles he has claimed to be all about for a long, long time.
Does anyone know what the hell happened to him that made him behave this way, I wonder?

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
They are the antics of a low-class bully who is full of himself and has no respect for others who disagree with him. And they are the antics of a hypocrite who is acting 180 degrees contrary to the principles he has claimed to be all about for a long, long time.
Does anyone know what the hell happened to him that made him behave this way, I wonder?

Success?

I still stand by my opinion but what bosk just posted makes you think again.  While we have cooled off a bit, his actions still are below acceptable.  I don't understand how the rest of them put up with this for so long.  They should have nibbed it in the butt years ago when things started going wrong, and then it wouldn't be at the situation it is now.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Too much Insania wine? :P

As I said in the other thread, I don't even listen to QR but I've been following this soap opera out of curiosity. Tate has truly succeeded at making himself look like a douche - my sympathy goes to the other guys and I'll be surprised if Tate wins the court case.

Offline jammindude

I've talked to 2 or 3 people in the local Seattle media/radio who claim he's been this big of an ass since they interviewed him for the EP....so take that for what it's worth.  He's really great at putting on his "game face" for meet and greets...but I personally met him (and the very cordial Whip) waiting to get backstage at a Kiss concert in 1988, and I can personally say that everything the Seattle media people had told me up to that point was absolutely true.

Offline contest_sanity

I know some may not care, but Frequency Unknown (GT Queensryche) is on Amazon for $10.00 preorder.
F U

#16 in Hard Rock & Metal on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/music/67207/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_1_2_last

lol u

Not sure if srs, but, for the record, I was just making a joke on the Frequency Unknown cover.  Not trying to start beef.  I see no problem with discussing Tate stuff here.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Not sure if srs, but, for the record, I was just making a joke on the Frequency Unknown cover.  Not trying to start beef.  I see no problem with discussing Tate stuff here.

Oh I know.
 :rollin

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

He saw this picture:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Glen Drover

https://www.bravewords.com/news/200751

“The musical direction of where Geoff wanted to go wasn’t what I wanted to go forward with,” Drover explains. “I’m more into the first five Queensr˙che albums, the original template of the band. For me, when I think of the band, I think of those records.”

“I felt very bad about it,” he says of jumping ship, “and I wish I knew more about what their plans were before going to Seattle to take band photos. There was very little communication before the trip. In the end, I had to think about my future and I what I felt was right for me. I was on the fence when I got home from Seattle, but after speaking to a couple people that I trust who know what’s going on, it made my decision a lot easier.”

Drover’s team-up with Tate was buzz-worthy, but he made a much bigger noise when he performed with the La Torre-led outfit in his home town of Toronto on March 7th. More to the point, the fans went nuts – both positive and negative – when Drover referred to his scheduled guest appearance as “playing a song with the REAL Queensr˙che.” It sounded like he was taking a swipe at Tate, which he insists most certainly wasn’t the case.

“That was poor wording on my part,” says Drover. “I went on Twitter a day or two before the show in Toronto and posted that because I wanted to try and alleviate any confusion as to which Queensr˙che I was going to play with. What I should have said was maybe the ‘original’ Queensr˙che, or maybe nothing at all. As we all know, Geoff has gone off to do his version of the band, and then you still have the original Queensr˙che that exists with a new singer, as well as Parker, who has been in the band for a few years now. It wasn’t a slap at anyone in any way, shape or form. I have no problems with anybody on either side. It was the wrong choice of wording.”

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Both tactful and informative, and really, really awesome. Respect.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, he seems like a really cool dude.

Online ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
Both Wilton and Drover have made references to "the first five" Queensryche albums.  Do they mean the EP through Empire, or The Warning through Promised Land?  I'm assuming the former, but . . .

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Yes, the former.  The band has made that abundantly clear.  I assume that is what Drover means also.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
Promised Land should definitely be included. Such a solid album.

A great "raw" vibe going though. Tate kinda hit a sweet point between cliche 80's vocals and boring DTC vocals.

Offline Mladen

Drover sounds like a class act guy.  :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Promised Land should definitely be included. Such a solid album.

I agree, and the band does as well.  But it was so obviously a huge departure from what they had previously done, and that is one of the reasons why the band for the first time saw its first dropoff in album sales and concert tickets with Promised Land.  Right now, their focus is on getting back to their true roots, which is why they are focusing on the first five albums and calling it the "back to history" tour.  But they have said they will play some Promised Land material in the future, which is good.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
Promised Land is considerably better than Empire.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Promised Land is considerably better than Empire.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
I would rather them play songs from Promised Land than hear Jet City Woman again.

That help?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I agree with you, but that still misses the point.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
No, because you are still completely missing the point (even if I, and likely others, agree with you).

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
Regardless. I think it should be noted that Promised Land > Empire.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Perfectly valid opinion, and one that I myself held for a long time.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
Held?

Offline jammindude

Rage For Order > Promised Land/Operation Mindcrime >>>>>>>>Empire

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Held?

Yup.  I still think it is a brilliant album.  But after nearly 20 years, a couple of songs haven't quite held up as well as others.  Although some pan Empire for its commercial aspirations, it succeeded in that regard and represents a band that was firing on all cylinders.  It is great from start to finish.  And I find myself gravitating nowadays toward its more positive, uplifting vibe than Promised Land's darkness and dispair.  So as of recently, Empire just barely edges Promised Land out.  But they are both very fine albums, to the point where it is almost silly to try to compare them or argue which is better.  Kinda like comparing Steve Vai and Yngwie.  They are both awesome--which one is "better" really just depends on what you subjectively find most appealing vs. there being any real measurable difference in quality.

Online abydos

• DT.net
For me, Promised Land is almost as good as O:M as a whole.

Offline Lowdz

I'd take Empire over PL personally. I don't mind the commerciality aspect of it, and I don't mind the dark vibe of PL either (though I disliked it on release).
Empire doesn't contain anything as bad as Disconnected. PL feels a short album and there are too many average songs. Little did I know they would only get worse from then on...
HITNF has to be my biggest disappointment in music though.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I was listening to Mindcrime last night with my fancy Sennheisers ($50, still way fancier than my RCA $5 pair which don't sound bad at all) and I was noticing so many more awesome bass lines. I love this album.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6w4RfoUv9KU#!
Band had the song 'Redemption' showcased on Sirusxm last night, and put up a youtube link of the song.
It's really good!  :metal

Offline jammindude

If you think anything that Geoff has done in the last decade is even worthy of licking the choad of this song....you...are...high...

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
I know I'm going into this album with both high hopes, but also a lot of reservations. The intro and the guitar tones used in it remind me of MCII, and that's certainly not a good thing. That's the only glaringly poor thing I found in this track. The pre-chorus (1:45) is probably the best part of the song and Todd's melodies through the chorus are really strong. Solo is pretty good and this is certainly a more organic "heavy" than the contrived heavy Tate has tried to pull at some points in the past. I find the song to be pretty good, but if this ends up being one of the best tracks on the album I might be disappointed.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1