Author Topic: Official Queensryche Thread - NEW ALBUM INFO. p. 30  (Read 50077 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Official Queensryche Thread - NEW ALBUM INFO. p. 30
« on: June 20, 2012, 10:18:29 AM »
https://www.billboard.com/news#/news/exclusive-queensryche-parts-ways-with-geoff-1007371752.story

Well it looks like the Queensryche name shall live on, but in a new form. With Todd La Torre as the new singer.

EDIT by bosk1:  In case you don't want to search the thread for the new song:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w4RfoUv9KU&nofeather=True
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 10:28:20 AM by bosk1 »

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Re: Queensryche
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 10:23:31 AM »
A bittersweet day.  Geoff has given us many special moments and his voice is the soundtrack to many parts of my life, but the direction he's been going is not the direction that the rest of QR and most fans want.  Best of luck, Geoff.  You're a legend.

EDIT: Just popped on the Empire CD.  Oh, man.  That voice.  I fell in love with it immediately back in the day.  :-\
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 10:28:40 AM »
Wow.  Mebert, you about summed up how I'm feeling.  Sad to see it came to this, but given the direction the band has been going, this is the BEST Queensryche-related news in years.  Consider my interest in this band rekindled.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 10:48:06 AM »
Wow. I would like to say I am surprised, but after seeing the Rising West show a couple of weekends ago, this seems to make all the sense in the world. But how did this not turn in to a Waters/Gilmour epic legal battle?

Also:

"Over the past few months, there have been growing creative differences within Queensryche.

"Months?" 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 10:52:50 AM »
Scott may simply have been trying to be diplomatic.  Or he may just be referring to the "final straw(s)" of the situation without dragging out the whole history.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 10:57:10 AM »
So Queensryche is taking the same path as Journey and Styx.  Enough is enough.  Good for them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 11:04:28 AM »
They pretty much had to.  At least Journey and Styx could still sell albums, get booking, and were interested in writing their own music.  Queensryche...not so much.  I hope they turn the corner and this reignites them, which I think it will.  My only real concern is that the more casual fans who haven't been paying attention to where the band has been heading will see that Geoff is no longer in the band and just write them off.  That would be a great loss.

And on another note, in terms of getting updated info on the band:  I have no idea whether the guys will take the intiative to whip the official QR website back into shape.  But until that happens (if it does), the most updated information and candid discussion is more often than not found at  https://www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownroom/

:mindcrime:

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 11:10:27 AM »
This is pretty interesting stuff.  Tate's voice was awesome back in the day, and the band wouldn't have been the same without him, but I think it's definitely safe to say that he's led them downhill and they need to move on.  Dedicated to Chaos was kind of the last straw for me as far as QR went, and I wasn't going to buy any more of their new material...but now I'm really interested to see how the Tate-less Queensryche will fair.

Interest rekindled.

Good luck to the band and to the Tate.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 11:24:11 AM »
Queensryche has been one of my favorite bands for such a long time, and I've been anticipating an announcement like this for months, but it still feels strange. I am glad that the Queensryche is opening a new chapter and I think Todd is an excellent choice. I am so excited about what their new album will sound like. I've been very loyal to Queensryche and have bought all of their albums--even if American Soldier, Tribe, and Dedicated to Chaos were disappointments, I always found some songs from those to enjoy and appreciate. However, I am so happy that the metal will finally return for Queensryche!!!  :metal
At the same time, I hope the Queensryche and metal community will still give Geoff Tate's solo material a chance. After all he has given us over the years, he deserves our support. His first solo album was filled with creative, passionate material and I'm anxious to hear his follow up.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 11:29:10 AM »
Queensryche is now in a similar position as Dream Theater were. For better or worse Geoff Tate was the one doing most of the leg work and was the largest icon on the band, even if he wasn't the dominant songwriter. The rest of the guys are going to need to step up to the plate and deliver big time, or frankly this won't matter one bit as the fans will just continue to slip away as they have been for years.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 11:35:36 AM »
Queensryche is now in a similar position as Dream Theater were. For better or worse Geoff Tate was the one doing most of the leg work and was the largest icon on the band, even if he wasn't the dominant songwriter. The rest of the guys are going to need to step up to the plate and deliver big time, or frankly this won't matter one bit as the fans will just continue to slip away as they have been for years.

IMO, even more so because Geoff was MUCH more integral to the band's sound (both in terms of perception and reality) than Mike was to DT.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 11:51:20 AM »
To me, what set Queensryche apart from other bands were their concepts and lyrics that gave them the title of "thinking man's metal band."  Tate was largely responsible for those concepts.  Without him, they become a metal band again, but the concepts/lyrics remain a concern for me.  I'll be curious what they come up with without Tate.  He has had some genius creative moments with QR, albeit he lost his way with the laughable cabaret and Dedicated to Chaos.

I would have preferred they stay Rising West and let the QR name retire.  But I'll support them.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 12:10:18 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 12:27:28 PM »
So...DT/QR tour...please?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 12:37:09 PM »

Throw in FW and we'll be in business. Still regret missing that tour.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 12:38:27 PM »

IMO, even more so because Geoff was MUCH more integral to the band's sound (both in terms of perception and reality) than Mike was to DT.

Yep.  Plus, I am not sure I would say Portnoy was the largest icon in the band.  Petrucci is a guitar god and is as well-known a guitar player as Portnoy is a drummer, if not moreso. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 12:51:12 PM »

:2metal:

A fan on another site said this:  "this feels like when a relative or friend are dying and you know the end is unavoidable, and then you get the call."  I completely get where he is coming from, but I have a slightly different take.  To me, it would be more accurate to say:  this feels like when a relative or friend are dying and you know the end is unavoidable, and then you get the call where they tell you it looked like the end, but at the 11th hour, the doctors figured out they could save his life by just amputating his leg.  And even though that leg was part of what made him an olympic track star, the good news is that not only will he live, but they were able to give him a new bionic leg that lets him run faster than a cheetah on crank and can fire missiles and lasers.

Honestly, while this is indeed bittersweet news, when you look at where the band was heading, and Geoff's headspace and completely unrepentent attitude for how he has been destroying the band's reputation and his own voice in the process, the news is ultimately more sweet than bitter.  I am firmly convinced the band moving forward with Todd will be better than they have been for at least a decade, if not more.  Even if they end up with all the new material being something that could have been written by "just any metal band," I'm okay with that.  If they have to bring in outside writers to help them write, as long as the band as a whole is participating in the process, likes the material, and can get behind it, I'm okay with that as well.  And even if they end up putting out albums that don't really have anything "new" to offer, but are solid, and they end up just being relegated to "nostalgia act" status, I'm not crazy about that idea.  But given that Todd allows them to actually perform all the old nostalgic material with integrity and engergy, I'd even be okay with that.  Heck, that's the rut Journey has been in for a few albums now.  The latest album was the only one in a VERY long time that I felt had anything really new to offer.  But at least they were able to put out albums that felt consistent, and they made sure they could still bring the live show, which has kept them relevant.  While I would love Queensryche to return to being "something more," I'm perfectly okay with them just being a solid band again.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 01:11:16 PM »
I actually thought this would happen the other way around: the rest of the band would leave to do something else, leaving Tate with the name. I could have sworn I read somewhere that Tate owned the name, which is what led me to think that. At any rate, an interesting development to say the least.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 01:15:45 PM »
Great news and I look forward to new material. A bit sketchy on who will be writing it, but it cannot be worse than what they've done over the last decade plus.

Hopefully they can follow Accept's lead.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline abydos

• DT.net

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 01:39:26 PM »
???  I'm not getting what is supposed to be funny.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 01:40:18 PM »
I saw the pic and thought they were just trolling or something. Was a few links down where I saw it was actually official.

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 01:54:36 PM »
Let's hope that this is what the band needs to revitalize themselves because when motivated, QR could put out some amazing stuff.  Unfortunately, they haven't been really motivated in the studio since the 90s perhaps because much of the band wants to rock, while Tate would rather continue with his progressive style.  Both styles work for QR, but I can see where the underlying tensions might shatter a band.  Perhaps this might lead to a return to their 80's sound, and if that's the case, I'm all for it.   

I also hope there isn't a lot of drama with the breakup, especially over the name, as too many bands have been damaged by fights over who owns the band (Styx, LA Guns, Great White, Pink Floyd). 

In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 01:55:15 PM »
I really wouldn't consider anything they've done Tate's "progressive" style.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2012, 02:01:39 PM »
So the name Rising West is unnecessary now? They get to keep Queensryche? Color me surprised. I always assumed Geoff would hire a new band and keep the name, like Axl did with Guns n Roses. Either way, I'm happy. Good for them.

Scott may simply have been trying to be diplomatic.  Or he may just be referring to the "final straw(s)" of the situation without dragging out the whole history.

As if anyone needs it dragged out. We may not know the gory details, but at this point, we know enough.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 03:02:31 PM »
Its unfortunate when it comes down to something like this; but it had to happen.  The legacy of the Queensryche name was getting worse and worse by the day.  They were an amazing band and deserve better.  However, things were obviously not going to change with Tate as the leader.  He assumingly had a different vision for the band then the other members and clearly a different vision then the fans.  The EP- Promised Land will always be held in a high regard from me.  And I still respect and like select songs from HITNF-present.  But with Todd La Torre in, I expect some kick ass music that will rejuvinate the band itself and my interest in the band.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 03:34:58 PM »

I'd be down for that, especially now. :metal

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 03:57:57 PM »
Sorry for Geoff, but this is exactly what I wanted. Keep the name, boot out the problem. Curious to see how well they do left to their own devices.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2012, 04:09:28 PM »
Geoff brought this on himself.  I'm happy with this outcome, it had to happen.  Interesting they got the name, as I thought I remember reading too that Geoff had full rights to the name or something.

Interesting to hear what Geoff has to say.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2012, 04:17:17 PM »
Geoff brought this on himself.  I'm happy with this outcome, it had to happen.  Interesting they got the name, as I thought I remember reading too that Geoff had full rights to the name or something.

Interesting to hear what Geoff has to say.

A while back someone posted a link at anybodylistening.net to the official public business registry of the Tri-Ryche Corp, the business side of Queensryche, and at the time it listed Geoff, Whip, Ed and Scott as the four executive officers.  I'm not certain how exactly that ties in to name rights, but I would think that if three of the four officers vote out that fourth guy, that would give the three remaining officer control over the corporation as a whole, which may mean control of the name rights.

I'm not sure that is exactly the case, of course, but that would be my guess anyways.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2012, 04:20:01 PM »
Yeah, fair enough, I guess so based on what's just happened anyway.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, 03:10:13 AM »
I would have been devastated had this happened 15 years ago, but now I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, especially with the focus of the RW live shows being the first 4 untouchable albums. Time for some fan service for once, rather than the Tate ego show.
Not sure where the new songs will come from with this line-up though, but time will tell.
Time for Whip to step up to the plate and give us some old style solos too, if a new album surfaces.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 03:20:48 AM »
Well said lowdz, agee with every word.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 06:47:48 AM »
I'd like it if they went the VH way and pulled out some old demos to create the new material. With La Torre singing like he can, they could go completely old-school. :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2012, 09:23:56 AM »
The demo idea would be cool.  What would everyone think if they threw in a bonus disc of rerecorded classics with their first release?  I for one would love to hear the new take on old songs.  Or maybe a live recording thrown in.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2012, 09:41:32 AM »
What would everyone think if they threw in a bonus disc of rerecorded classics with their first release?

Personally, I don't really like it when bands do that.  When Journey did it on Revelations, it rubbed me the wrong way (especially including a song from Generations, which was completely unnecessary).  Plus, I couldn't help fixating on things Arnel did differently.  IMO, those kinds of things do more harm than good, and I would rather they didn't.  It just smacks too much of giving the old singer the finger.  And despite what Geoff may have done to the band the last few years, he is still a respected part of their legacy.  No reason to indirectly trash him by re-doing some of his older performances.