Author Topic: Official Queensryche Thread - NEW ALBUM INFO. p. 30  (Read 50317 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Promised Land is amazing.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
Todd sounds live like a prime Geoff studio performance.

Now THAT is a bit of a stretch. Todd's great in the studio. He's good live. The live YT stuff I have seen shows me the equivalent of a tribute singer covering an early era. He hits notes, but doesn't hold them, often ending them more in a scream than singing. He also skirts notes, and does this thing where he starts a note, then uses an "H" sound to climb...like "wayy-Hayyy". That get's monotonous.

Like I said, Todd is a good singer...but to say that live he's like "prime Tate", to me anyway, is WAY off the mark. Todd live is nowhere NEAR Tate's studio performances on those first 5 albums.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Promised Land is amazing.

Agreed.

And for me, its my favorite QR album.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
I really hate Promised Land. The terrible production and lolsy vocals ruin it for me. I just can't get over how bad Tate sounds singing over more straightforward rock music. As a singer, Tate only ever really had the capacity to sing *very* 80s metal, and, IMO, Promised Land could have been good from a songwriting standpoint, but Tate's voice just takes me completely out of it.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Seriously? For me that's among the best Tate material ever.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
I guess it depends on how you hear Tate. For me, I've never liked Tate, even in his great moments, so I'm more inclined to like him when he just sounds like some generic 80s metal singer and the "Tatisms" are well hidden.

On songs like "I Am I" and others on Promised Land, the 80s metal singer is gone and those Tatisms are up-front and on display, and I really can't stand it.

Offline Ruba

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I really hate Promised Land. The terrible production and lolsy vocals ruin it for me. I just can't get over how bad Tate sounds singing over more straightforward rock music. As a singer, Tate only ever really had the capacity to sing *very* 80s metal, and, IMO, Promised Land could have been good from a songwriting standpoint, but Tate's voice just takes me completely out of it.

Okay, if you dislike the songs and the vocals, that is fine, but to call the production terrible makes zero sense, when, in fact, the production is splendid.  As much as I like most of their 80s material, a lot of it has that cheesy 80s production thing going on, while Empire and Promised Land both took it up several notches, albeit in a very different ways: Empire is more streamlined and slick, ala the Black Album, while Promised Land is more spacey and sonically pleasing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
^That.  Not liking the sound is one thing.  But to say the production is terrible completely misses the mark.  Albeit for different reasons, as Kev pointed out, Empire and Promised Land are considered by MANY in the music industry to be the gold standard.  These are model albums that producers, engineers, and others often use as their baseline.  The production is simpy fantastic.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Okay, sure. It's not terrible, but it leaves me cold, and I don't like it. I guess it comes down to personal tastes. I've never really payed attention to who produced/mixed/engineered QR albums before, but now that I just have two seconds ago I am not surprised to find Paul Northfield and Peter Collins among the main perpetrators of the QR sound.

Of course, it turns out that some of the guys who are partially responsible for "dated glitz" sound I've always disliked about Rush are also the same guys responsible for QR's sound  :lol And I don't even want to go into what I dislike about Northfield's DT work.

If those guys are the industry gold standard in the late 80s and early 90s, that explains why I find so much of the "industry" from that time to be pretty bad.

But my point wasn't to derail the thread with my opinion on production standards in the 80's. I was really just saying that I can't stand Tate, and find him tolerable at best even on QR's good albums, so in this case I'm glad he's gone and I'm more than happy to hear a less awkward sounding singer at the helm, even if people are going to make the argument that Tate's version of QR is more legitimate than the actual one.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 11:14:07 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Here's a clip I found (finally) for Eyes of a Stranger from last night's show in Long Island:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2MkEDwDnv0

Hard to tell how "on" Todd was since the crowd is SO LOUD!  But you can tell he is just killing it, especially when he comes in right after the solos.  Actually, the entire band are just killing it up there.  This looks like a great show to have witnessed.  I can't wait to see them after the album comes out and the tour really kicks off in earnest.

For anyone who questions how a version of Queensryche in 2013 without Geoff Tate can possibly be "legitimate," do yourself a favor and watch that clip.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Okay, here's a clip where you actually can hear Todd a lot better, and he is just tearing it up!

The Prophecy

Also:

Jet City Woman

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
I know some may not care, but Frequency Unknown (GT Queensryche) is on Amazon for $10.00 preorder.

Offline contest_sanity

I know some may not care, but Frequency Unknown (GT Queensryche) is on Amazon for $10.00 preorder.
F U

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Okay, sure. It's not terrible, but it leaves me cold, and I don't like it.

I think the bottom line is that we are guilty of sometimes ignoring good production when we don't like the music itself (like you with Promised Land), and sometimes ignoring mediocre production when we love the music (like many of us with Scenes for a Memory, for example). 

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)

I think the bottom line is that we are guilty of sometimes ignoring good production when we don't like the music itself (like you with Promised Land), and sometimes ignoring mediocre production when we love the music (like many of us with Scenes for a Memory, for example).

Scenes for a memory, an album by Dream Theatre?
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni

Or like me with prime Rush, tbh.

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
Just wanted to chime in on Promised Land. It, to me, is the last GREAT Queensryche album. It's like a more earthy RFO in spots...dark, weird and moody. I love his vocals on it and the songs are fantastic.

:metal

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
F U

#16 in Hard Rock & Metal on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/music/67207/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_1_2_last

lol u

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
F U

lol u
What exactly are you trying to prove with this? For one your posts belong in the UNofficial QR topic and it feels like you're just trying to poke at this topic with a sharp stick

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
F U

lol u
What exactly are you trying to prove with this? For one your posts belong in the UNofficial QR topic and it feels like you're just trying to poke at this topic with a sharp stick

I was just bringing news about it being on sale and how it's doing into this. I already said earlier I haven't made up my mind about either edition of Queensryche now. I plan to buy both discs and go from there.  Neither version is UN-official until a ruling says Geoff cannot use the name.. IMO.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
1 member who drove a band into the ground and acts like an immature baby who always has to have the last word vs 3 guys who just wanted control back over the thing they've put their life into. Seems an easy choice to me.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
My reaction to last night's QR show in Patchogue, NY, as I posted earlier today on Samsara's Breakdown Room:

What a show!  The band was on fucking fire!  I was pretty buzzed and randomly wandered down to the pit area just before QR went on, and I ended up like five feet from the stage.  Todd reached over and grabbed by hand during the show.  The fans were so into it.  I loved when Todd said: "We're playing all the metal that made this band what it is."  Some late-30s fans next to me were loving the set list.  "I can't believe they're playing 'Child of Fire,'" one guy yelled with a giant smile.  So much energy.  During the brief pause after the instrumental section on "The Needle Lies," EdBass yelled out: "We're on fucking fire!"  Wow, I was so swept away.  I feel like this band could really do something and even have a hit song.  They are hungry.  You could see it in their eyes.

Also, during the show I was kinda thinking about Tate and how this reincarnated QR isn't entirely a slap in the face to him -- but it also could be viewed as a sort-of tribute to him.  He created greatness back in the day.  His lyrics.  His melodies.  People love those albums and what he gave us.  The new QR with Todd is like a way of saying: Geoff, you're legend and we recognize that by celebrating this early music.  But you don't have it anymore and you've lost that person along the way.  Please graciously step aside and let the music be honored the way its meant to be honored.

In addition, I honestly think when all is said and done years from now that Todd could potentially be the second most beloved member in QR history to many people behind CDG.  I know that's a big statement.  But he's the perfect fit and the way he's resurrected this great band again in such an intense and powerful way is no joke.  Todd is the fucking man!   
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline jammindude

1 member who drove a band into the ground and acts like an immature baby who always has to have the last word vs 3 guys who just wanted control back over the thing they've put their life into. Seems an easy choice to me.

It is....  Mindflux is being a massive:

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni

It is....  Mindflux is being a massive:

If you say so. I want to hear both albums. How is that trolling?

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
I'm actually probably going to listen to FU as well. I had zero interest in Kings & Thieves but if he's slapping the Queensryche name onto it, there's a morbid curiousity in me to see how it stacks up to the La Torre Queensryche album coming out later on.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm definitely gonna check out Tate's album.  Don't like the guy anymore, but I'm curious and don't make any apologies for it.  Plus, the guests make it worth checking out, not so much Tate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm definitely gonna check out Tate's album.  Don't like the guy anymore, but I'm curious and don't make any apologies for it.  Plus, the guests make it worth checking out, not so much Tate.

For $10 I'll take a chance on it.  If it sucks, I'll be glad to say it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, same.  I purchased Tates last solo album and there was some decent stuff on there.  I never listen to it and most of it was a waste, but there was a couple of good tunes.

Saying that, I'm looking forward to the REAL Queensryche album so much more than Tates.

Offline jammindude

I tend to take KNH's hardline stance against stealing music....

....but in GT's case, I may make an exception.    I am curious...but there is NO WAY IN HELL that guy is getting my money.    This will be the one and only album I will be openly advocating any download you can get for nothing.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I don't see the issue with Mindflux talking about the Tate album in this thread.  Okay, I know there is another thread specifically for it, but this is the Queensryche thread, and discussing music stuff relating to current or past members should be okay.  I mean, in the Yes thread, there is often talk about the music by ex-members there, too (all 83 of them :lol), so, again, it shouldn't be an issue. 

The real issue is Mindflux being misguided enough to want to spend money on Tate's fiasco. :P

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
The real issue is Mindflux being misguided enough to want to spend money on Tate's fiasco. :P

Meh. I've spent more then $10 on worse before..

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
I'm curious about both, but I desperately, desperately want the real Queensryche to outsell Tateryche.  It needs to be a landslide victory.  I'll definitely be buying the new Queensryche.  As for FU, I haven't really decided what I'm going to do.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm with wolf on this one. I for one can't base my music collection on who is an asshole and who isn't. If that was the case, my collection would be redused quite abit. No more Skid Row and GnR for example. Tate is an ass based on the information provided no question. But I'm going to listen to this with an open mind. I've wanted heavy Queensryche for years. Now it seems there may be two heavy releases in the next couple months. The list of guest stars is very intriguing too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Meh. I've spent more then $10 on worse before..

My thoughts exactly.

I'm with wolf on this one. I for one can't base my music collection on who is an asshole and who isn't. If that was the case, my collection would be redused quite abit. No more Skid Row and GnR for example. Tate is an ass based on the information provided no question. But I'm going to listen to this with an open mind. I've wanted heavy Queensryche for years. Now it seems there may be two heavy releases in the next couple months. The list of guest stars is very intriguing too.

Nicely said Jason, agree too.  For me, I'd have to throw out all my Yngwie, Iced Earth, Megadeth, WASP etc. albums, and I'm sure as hell not gonna do that.

And yeah, we might get two decent metal albums out of this, or we may get one, or maybe none, who knows at this stage.