Author Topic: Official Queensryche Thread - NEW ALBUM INFO. p. 30  (Read 50417 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Re: Queensryche
« Reply #315 on: July 17, 2012, 07:50:43 AM »
I just wanted to say that, age and time passing aside, GT still sounded quite good on record. He's obviously not hitting super high notes like the old days, but he turned in good performances, IMO.

Live, I'm sure he struggles...YouTube proves that...but he also made attempts to alter the melodies so as to remain in key at least, as opposed to trying and failing to hit the notes...which most guys his age are forced to do...even Dickinson live wasn't singing things 100% like he did on the albums...but he still sounded good.

While much of what you're saying is technically true...I would absolutely *NOT* compare his decline with Bruce's.   Bruce stays in shape...and while he's no spring chicken...still sounds phenomenal in the studio, and varies between pretty good and fantastic live.

Geoff sounds pretty good in the studio.   But live, he varies between above average at best, and downright miserable at worst.   The man just does NOT take care of his instrument.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #316 on: July 17, 2012, 07:53:00 AM »
I just wanted to say that, age and time passing aside, GT still sounded quite good on record. He's obviously not hitting super high notes like the old days, but he turned in good performances, IMO.

Live, I'm sure he struggles...YouTube proves that...but he also made attempts to alter the melodies so as to remain in key at least, as opposed to trying and failing to hit the notes...which most guys his age are forced to do...even Dickinson live wasn't singing things 100% like he did on the albums...but he still sounded good.

While much of what you're saying is technically true...I would absolutely *NOT* compare his decline with Bruce's.   Bruce stays in shape...and while he's no spring chicken...still sounds phenomenal in the studio, and varies between pretty good and fantastic live.

Geoff sounds pretty good in the studio.   But live, he varies between above average at best, and downright miserable at worst.   The man just does NOT take care of his instrument.

Yeah, BD is obviously in better physical shape than GT. I haven't seen GT live since the Q2K tour, and he sounded great then...of course, that was 12 years ago.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #317 on: July 17, 2012, 08:11:22 AM »
Geoff has NOT sounded good on a studio album in a long time.  Mindcrime II was passable.  Take Cover and American Soldier were awful.  And his live performances have been abysmal.  I'm not even sure how somebody could try to make the argument that he has sounded "good" in recent years.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #318 on: July 17, 2012, 08:13:47 AM »
"The media is saying that live music is dead.  But here we are playing live.  And here is Empire, featuring an entire chorus with a backing track since I can't sing it live anymore!"

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #319 on: July 17, 2012, 08:14:38 AM »
Geoff has NOT sounded good on a studio album in a long time.  Mindcrime II was passable.  Take Cover and American Soldier were awful.  And his live performances have been abysmal.  I'm not even sure how somebody could try to make the argument that he has sounded "good" in recent years.

At least he's got Don Dokken beat.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #320 on: July 17, 2012, 08:26:48 AM »
Poor Don.  But at least Don knows his voice is shot.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #321 on: July 17, 2012, 08:27:12 AM »

He doesn't sound like he did back as far as Promised Land, but he certainly doesn't sound "bad" IMO. Maybe "diminished" compared to his glory days, but he's still a fine singer, IMO. Don Dokken sounds bad...Mark Slaughter sounds bad...Ozzy sounds bad...GT sounds decent.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #322 on: July 17, 2012, 08:37:51 AM »
Maybe he's good on things like his solo album (which I quite like tbh) and the similar ryche songs but that's about it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #323 on: July 17, 2012, 08:40:49 AM »

He doesn't sound like he did back as far as Promised Land, but he certainly doesn't sound "bad" IMO. Maybe "diminished" compared to his glory days, but he's still a fine singer, IMO. Don Dokken sounds bad...Mark Slaughter sounds bad...Ozzy sounds bad...GT sounds decent.

Er, did you listen to his singing at that Rocklahoma show?  That is not decent or fine; that is awful singing.

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #324 on: July 17, 2012, 08:59:35 AM »

Er, did you listen to his singing at that Rocklahoma show?  That is not decent or fine; that is awful singing.

I'm speaking about on record mostly...these days I expect he and others to sound fair to poor live.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #325 on: July 17, 2012, 09:32:56 AM »
Well, if you like his performance, I can't really argue with that.  But especially on Take Cover and American Soldier, he was frequently off key (not occasionally--frequently), was singing from the neck up, and sounded thin and strained.  When the vocals on a studio album sound like the singer recorded them in one take just after rolling out of bed and finishing off a couple of cigarettes, something is wrong.  Mindcrime II had those moments as well, but also had some moments where Geoff actually sounded pretty good.  I can't speak to Dedicated to Chaos, because I refused to buy it.  But with American Soldier especially, it's a shame the vocals are that bad, because it's otherwise a VERY good album.

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #326 on: July 17, 2012, 09:47:38 AM »
Well, if you like his performance, I can't really argue with that.  But especially on Take Cover and American Soldier, he was frequently off key (not occasionally--frequently), was singing from the neck up, and sounded thin and strained.  When the vocals on a studio album sound like the singer recorded them in one take just after rolling out of bed and finishing off a couple of cigarettes, something is wrong.  Mindcrime II had those moments as well, but also had some moments where Geoff actually sounded pretty good.  I can't speak to Dedicated to Chaos, because I refused to buy it.  But with American Soldier especially, it's a shame the vocals are that bad, because it's otherwise a VERY good album.

Let me clarify...I don't think he sounds "great"...I think he sounds "decent" to "good" and I can hear what you're saying about sounding thin and strained at times. I chalked it up to age and bad habits. But even when I consider those factors, I still think he sounds good to decent on record (though I have not heard Take Cover).

DTC he sounds OK mainly because it's all lower range vocals that don't require much push...just mood...which he still pulls off fairly well at times (kinda like Joe Elliot on later Def Leppard...it's all lower where he still sounds OK). DTC honestly reminds me of later Duran Duran in many spots.  :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #327 on: July 17, 2012, 09:51:36 AM »

He's still attempting to use it to entertain people, so I'm assuming he either knows and doesn't care, knows and is in denial, or honestly doesn't know.  :lol

That said, GT was passable at M3.  He wasn't awesome, but he wasn't too bad either.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #328 on: July 17, 2012, 09:53:58 AM »
For Geoff Tate, he sounds fucking awful.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #329 on: July 17, 2012, 10:46:04 AM »

He's still attempting to use it to entertain people, so I'm assuming he either knows and doesn't care, knows and is in denial, or honestly doesn't know.  :lol

I think it's that he knows, but if people are still willing to pay for it, he's more than willing to get up onstage (which I guess falls under "knows and doesn't care").  But my impression is that he's also perfectly willing to admit that he sounds bad.  In contrast, Tate still seems to think he sounds just fine.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: July 17, 2012, 10:49:57 AM »
Besides Tribe, AS was the best album since HITNF.

The reviews for it on Metal Archives are pretty funny.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Queensr%C3%BFche/American_Soldier/224938/
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #331 on: July 17, 2012, 10:53:56 AM »
If we talk about Geoff Tate and back in the days he had mighty voice which I still adore, it can't be even described his present performance "good or decent". He is totally far from "decent". You know, it's even laughable. I remember when I bought American Soldier album and put it player, my first reaction was: WTF? I didn't bother myself to buy their last stuff but I heard of course. Totally shame, as a whole. I didn't even want to comment about his recent live performances. We are talking about a man who did lip synching. Is it enough to call it "decent"? Nope, it's unfortunately awful.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #332 on: July 17, 2012, 11:02:47 AM »
If we talk about Geoff Tate and back in the days he had mighty voice which I still adore, it can't be even described his present performance "good or decent". He is totally far from "decent". You know, it's even laughable. I remember when I bought American Soldier album and put it player, my first reaction was: WTF? I didn't bother myself to buy their last stuff but I heard of course. Totally shame, as a whole. I didn't even want to comment about his recent live performances. We are talking about a man who did lip synching. Is it enough to call it "decent"? Nope, it's unfortunately awful.

Opinions, I guess. You can't lip synch on an album. Live is a whole other story...I have not seen him live since Q2K...I'm sure he struggles like hell these days live.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #333 on: July 17, 2012, 11:40:45 AM »
I have not seen him live since Q2K...I'm sure he struggles like hell these days live.

For example:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otSrIrA1PH8&feature=related

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #334 on: July 17, 2012, 11:44:04 AM »
I love how him letting the crowd sing the chorus is really just code for, "I don't have a prayer of singing that the way I used to, so I'll let the crowd do it for me." :lol :lol :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #335 on: July 17, 2012, 11:52:06 AM »
I love how him letting the crowd sing the chorus is really just code for, "I don't have a prayer of singing that the way I used to in a way that wouldn't make your ears bleed, so I'll let the crowd do it for me." :lol :lol :lol

FTFY

Yeah, I know.  It's sad, really.  And it pisses me off that the reason his voice is that way is simply that he's too apathetic/self-absorbed/etc. to have done anything to correct the situation.  It's one thing to have a voice deteriorate because of a health condition.  Heck, even if it deteriorated because of his abuse and bad habits, but he at least recognized it and said, "I know the damage is done, but I'm going to get a vocal coach and try to change some of my habits now so that I can at least get some of it back and do a passable job," I could get onboard with that.  But to just have the attitude of, "I'm too good to change my bad singing habits, get some training, warm up before shows, stop smoking, etc." is just ridiculous.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #336 on: July 17, 2012, 12:34:27 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted before, apologies if so. looks like the future could be pretty good for QR. A talented guy for sure.

Demos clips for Todd's solo album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIyCKLa99IE&feature=player_embedded

Offline pkj

« Reply #337 on: July 17, 2012, 01:47:25 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted before, apologies if so. looks like the future could be pretty good for QR. A talented guy for sure.

Demos clips for Todd's solo album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIyCKLa99IE&feature=player_embedded
Very promising.  Nice 80s metal vibe.  I'm not sure Queensryche deserves this guy.  :laugh:

Re: Tate willfully allowing his talent to deteriorate -- I bet he thinks that being able to hit the high notes is something that only concerns dumbshit metal vocalists, and he's so more of a modern artist than that.   

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #338 on: July 17, 2012, 02:07:31 PM »
Re: Tate willfully allowing his talent to deteriorate -- I bet he thinks that being able to hit the high notes is something that only concerns dumbshit metal vocalists, and he's so more of a modern artist than that.

Were I a betting man, I'd put money on that being very close to the truth.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #339 on: July 17, 2012, 02:37:47 PM »
I've never been a hardcore Queensryche fan - the only records I have is Operation: MindCrime I and II and while I think the first one is amazing, I've never dug deeper into their music than that.

But all of this bullshit going on right now has somehow made me a lot more interested in the band. :lol I listened a bit to Promised Land and wow...it sounds nothing like Operation Mindcrime. I'm gonna have to give it more listenings. What are their other records like? Are there more that sounds like O:M?
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #340 on: July 17, 2012, 02:42:50 PM »
I've never been a hardcore Queensryche fan - the only records I have is Operation: MindCrime I and II and while I think the first one is amazing, I've never dug deeper into their music than that.

But all of this bullshit going on right now has somehow made me a lot more interested in the band. :lol I listened a bit to Promised Land and wow...it sounds nothing like Operation Mindcrime. I'm gonna have to give it more listenings. What are their other records like? Are there more that sounds like O:M?

All of their albums are pretty different from each other, but from the debut EP up through Promised Land, they had that perfect combo of songwriting, chops and intensity. The EP and The Warning are the two most similar stylistically, IMO, and after that all the albums sound different from each other. EP & The Warning are the most "Metal", Rage For Order and Promised Land are their two darkest albums (IMO), Mindcrime you already know and Empire is their most commercial, but still amazing.

After Promised Land, they really dropped off while still having the odd song here and there turn out good.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #341 on: July 17, 2012, 02:51:35 PM »
No, not really. At least for me. There are similarities in the first two albums and the demo but for the most part it's completely different. Same goes for Empire and Promised Land. You can tell it's Queensryche but the music is almost entirely different. Which is one of the reasons this band was legendary. Being able to shift your sound so many times yet remain true to your sound and still create amazing music over 5-6 albums? Not many bands can do that.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: July 17, 2012, 02:53:28 PM »
Promised Land is my favorite album of all-time, followed by DT's Awake.  It's such a unique creation and such a musical journey.  Of the more recent stuff, I really like Tribe. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #343 on: July 17, 2012, 03:20:06 PM »
Queensryche's music did evolve, but it remained, for lack of a better term, Queensryche. You could hear them finding the sound that defined their music on The Warning if you look hard enough (NM 156 in particular foreshadows Rage For Order nicely), but the next three albums pretty much worked in the same style, only becoming a bit more refined along the way. If anything, to me, Promised Land was the sharpest left turn the band did in their early albums, but remember, I'm one of the few that doesn't like Promised Land.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #344 on: July 19, 2012, 08:06:43 PM »
Two shows booked in Lincoln City, OR. Oct. 19, 20. Tickets went on sale this morning and are selling amazingly fast. Got mine!  ;D

https://tickets.chinookwindscasino.com/Online/
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline RichardRG

« Reply #345 on: July 23, 2012, 09:38:01 AM »
A lot of drama for a band who only put out one classic album in 1988...

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #346 on: July 23, 2012, 09:51:17 AM »
A lot of drama for a band who only put out one classic album in 1988...

The warning, Rage For Order and Empire would like to speak to you. It won't end well...  ;D

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: July 23, 2012, 10:09:12 AM »
Empire and Op:Mindcrime are classics.  I don't get the love for the first two albums + the EP, though Take Hold of the Flame is a good song.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #348 on: July 23, 2012, 10:31:23 AM »
Empire and Op:Mindcrime are classics.  I don't get the love for the first two albums + the EP, though Take Hold of the Flame is a good song.

Rage For Order is a non-stop amaze-fest.  It's my all time favorite QR album.  That album *IS* Queensryche to me.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline RichardRG

« Reply #349 on: July 23, 2012, 10:35:30 AM »
Empire doesn't do much for me.  :-\ Not that I think it's bad, but I don't get why it has received the high praise that it has. I guess that after Operation: Mindcrime I was expecting something different from Queensryche.

I still haven't listened to The Warning and Rage for Order (though I do like "Take Hold of the Flame").  I'm not highly interested in listening to them either. But maybe I'll get around to them one of these days. Maybe.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:50:40 AM by RichardRG »