Author Topic: Official Queensryche Thread - NEW ALBUM INFO. p. 30  (Read 50085 times)

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
Re: Re: Queensryche
« Reply #175 on: July 06, 2012, 02:42:50 PM »
You raised the point that you personally wrote the vast majority of the Queensryche catalog . . .  

I would say, in vague terms, of the 144 songs that Queensryche has published and written, I've been a co-writer on 114, which is something like 81% of all of the music. 

The way it's stated in Rolling Stone is that you wrote them -- as in, you completely wrote them. 

Oh yeah. Well, that's one of those little inaccuracies that get passed along through interpretation [laughs]. But the accurate numbers and all that, it's obviously in the legal claim. 

Um...no, Geoff.  That's one of those little inaccuracies that gets passed along because those were your exact words that you said!   :\

And I love how he keeps saying all the "facts" are out there in the lawsuit that was filed.  Again, um...no.  What is in the lawsuit is Tate's lawyer's spin on the facts.  Unfortunately, lawsuits only present one side, and half of what is in a complaint is later usually proven to be either exaggeration or just flat out wrong.

I guess, technically, he said "chief" earlier, not "sole"..."chief" implies other people, just under his lead...

But yeah, on the surface it certainly appeared he was trying to take 100% credit for Queensryche's entire career before...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #176 on: July 09, 2012, 06:11:56 PM »
I haven't verified these numbers, but Scotty did a calculation of the true shares of songwriting credits.  So, for example, if Geoff co-wrote a song with one other writer, he gets 50% credit for that song.  If we co-wrote with the other four original members, he gets 20%.  Etc.  Here is how it breaks down:

Tate:  33.54% of 144 songs
Chris DeGarmo:  27.22% of 144 songs
Rockenfield, Wilton, Jackson (combined):  23.89% of 144 songs.

By my calculation, that leaves 15.35% that were written or co-written by others (Kelley Gray, Jason Slater, etc.).

What this shows is that, yes, in comparison to the remaining original members, he co-write a larger share (at least in terms of how the writing credits for songs are listed).  But he hardly wrote the majority of Queensryche's material.  If he wants to argue he is entitled to a fair share for his contributation, that fair share is approximately 34%.  And 34% does not mean that he, Geoff Tate, somehow IS Queensryche.  Queensryche is an entity.  And it is an entity that, if you subtract Tate's contribuation, should control at least 66%, based on songwriting credits.  After all, it's not as if DeGarmo, Slater, and others bequeathed their songwriting credits to Geoff Tate.  They contributed to songs for Queensryche.  And Geoff Tate is no longer a member of Queensryche.  As such, he has no claim to others' songwriting credits.  Anyhow, I hope that somewhat helps elucidate the whole songwriting credit thing.  The numbers don't lie.  Geoff saying he wrote 81% of Queensryche's songs is just flat-out misleading.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #177 on: July 09, 2012, 09:19:14 PM »
I would like to see those numbers re-crunched to reflect ONLY Promised Land and before. 

It is my devout opinion that QR's dog&^% material of the last 15 odd years has stacked the deck in Geoff's favor. 

I don't feel he should get the same credit for writing "Wot Kinda Man Are You" as "Eyes of a Stranger"....
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #178 on: July 09, 2012, 10:37:36 PM »
I would like to see those numbers re-crunched to reflect ONLY Promised Land and before. 

It is my devout opinion that QR's dog&^% material of the last 15 odd years has stacked the deck in Geoff's favor. 

I don't feel he should get the same credit for writing "Wot Kinda Man Are You" as "Eyes of a Stranger"....

Who would WANT that credit?

Oh wait, Geoff Tate, never mind.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #179 on: July 10, 2012, 12:04:55 AM »
These don't add up to 100% because 1) I rounded off all numbers to the nearest second place decimal, and 2) I counted three-way writing as 33% instead of 33.3 repeating.

EP - Promised Land - 60 songs total.

Chris DeGarmo - 42.63%
Geoff Tate - 30.97%
Michael Wilton - 20.7%
Scott Rockenfield - 4.63%
Eddie Jackson - 0.88%

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #180 on: July 10, 2012, 08:46:03 AM »
Interesting.  Given that they are fighting over ownership of the name, I think the arguments may likely play out something like this:

-Geoff:  When you look at the numbers, I wrote more than the existing members of "Queensryche" combined.  Since my contribution over time is greater than theirs, I should get the name.  And even more than that, take a look behind the numbers.  I was the one who drove the direction of the band and came up with the album concepts.  And I was forced to bring in outside writers to advance those concepts because the other guys did not contribute.  So even more than looking at the songwriting credits, I was the driving force behind the continuing business of the band.

-Queensryche (i.e., Whip, Scott, Ed):  Queensryche is an entity, not a person.  Geoff contributed to the entity that is Queensryche, and his contribuation is about 33%.  And given that Tate does not write music itself, regardless of what the publishing credits say, he contributed far less.  But Queensryche, the entity, aside from Geoff's contributions, has 67% of the credits.  Geoff cannot claim part of those credits for himself.  And as far as him controlling the direction of the band, that is largely true, and that is why the band's success and the value of Queensryche as a brand has declined severely over the last decade, plus, while other bands have continued to thrive.  He was allowed to manage the band, but he mismanaged it and should not be rewarded for that.

I think it will play out something like that.  But I really wonder what specifically Geoff is after.  A couple of things come to mind.  Does he really want control of the Queensryche name?  Maybe he actually does.  Not sure, but it wouldn't be beyond the realm of reason to think so.  After all, right or wrong, he feels as if he was running the ship all by himself.  Rather than having a 25% share, if he controlled the name and brought in a bunch of hired guns rather than having to have 75% go to 3 other guys, he could pay peanuts to guys who are not owners.  If he thinks people will still buy the albums and come to the shows, and he turns out to be right, this would be a winning formula for him.  And he would still be able to put out new albums as the band has done for awhile now by having outside writers write them based on his input and direction.  If that's the case, the other guys NEED to do something going forward to get some positive P/R to counter the Geoff Tate spin machine so that people don't view them as "they guys that tried to kick Geoff Tate out of the band and got their butts kicked in court for trying to screw him over."  Honestly, while this would be the worst result for the "Queensryche" brand, if the guys actually do well to get things under control and can become a viable entity under the "Rising West" name or some other name, this might actually be the best result for everybody involved.  Don't get me wrong--I don't think it's the best outcome for the fans, and I don't think it's the "right" outcome.  But in terms of economics for each of the four parties involved (and Parker as well), this might just be the best solution.

...Or is Geoff simply after a bigger slice of the pie?  In other words, is he simply angling for more money as part of his buyout and a larger share of the royalties going forward?  Could be.  He might very well have his eyes set on the Queensryche name, and have this as his consolation prize if that doesn't work.  The problem for him is that, in a sense, for this outcome to be profitable for him, he has to be careful not to damage the Queensryche brand too much.  Corporate buyouts generally get paid out over a period of several years because, let's face it, most corporations do not have a large body of liquid cash assets sitting in a bank account somewhere.  That's just not how corporations are run.  I highly doubt that Queensryche could pay a departing member in cash a lump sum value representing their share.  So Queensryche has to continue and make money (and not fail financially) for a long-term payout to happen properly.  In this scenario, Geoff has to hope Queensryche does well without him so they can afford to pay him.  In terms of royalties, it is also in his best interest for them to do well because the better they do, the more money he stands to gain.  In fact, it would not surprise me if any settlement includes a term that Geoff will get some fixed percentage of what the band makes going forward, completely separate from royalties.

These kinds of fights are really stupid.  But I'm interested to see how this plays out. 

« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:27:40 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #181 on: July 10, 2012, 10:25:36 AM »
It works out even better for Wilton if you just go EP-OMC (which many fans consider to be the "classic" QR phase).

That works out to roughly...

40.5% Chris DeGarmo
32.5% Geoff Tate
26% Michael Wilton

with the remainder made up with Rockenfield's sole contribution to OMC. 

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #182 on: July 10, 2012, 11:19:07 AM »
I recommend everyone head over to Samsara's board. He has purchased the public documents and has posted a section from Michael Wilton's declaration about the Brazil incident:

https://www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownroom/index.php?topic=2864.120

EDIT: So this was the show that Portnoy played drums for Fates Warning, right? Did he share anything in regard to what he witnessed? I figured he'd jump at the chance to throw Geoff under the bus :P

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: July 10, 2012, 11:42:01 AM »
We need to have a local meet-up at King County Superior Court. I'd call in sick to see this all play out.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #184 on: July 10, 2012, 12:12:05 PM »
:lol

Since a lot of people will likely be seeing a lot of these documents soon, here are a few caveats from a legal perspective:

Anything written in the Complaint and Answer/Response is not necessarily true or correct.  It is the lawyers' initial spin in the facts and arguments just to attempt to state what the legal claims are.  Often, as a case progresses, by the time you get a few months down the road and actual discovery has been conducted (the process where the parties on both sides obtain and disclose evidence), the story that the evidence actually shows is something FAR different than what is in the initial pleadings (the Complaint and Answer).

Things written in declarations/affidavits are sworn statements under oath.  The witness is swearing on paper under penalty of perjury, just as he/she would if testifying in open court.  However, these statements are still usually written by, or at least with the assistance of, attorneys.  Also, they represent the truth as perceived by the particular witness, but they are not conclusively established fact.  What witnesses say in declarations is sometimes proven to be mistaken or outright wrong.  So what that means is that they should still be taken with a grain of salt, even though they are sworn statements under oath.

Personally, given the track record of the parties involved, I would tend to give more credence to what the remaining guys in Queensryche say over what is said by the Tate camp.  But draw your own conclusions.

Lastly, if anyone re-posts any of the Court documents or excerpts here, PLEASE REDACT OUT ANY PERSONAL CONTACT INFORMATION.  Even though the documents are in the public domain, I don't want people potentially using information they find on this website to potentially harass or invade the privacy of any current/former members of Queensryche or other witnesses.  Thanks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #185 on: July 10, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
I recommend everyone head over to Samsara's board. He has purchased the public documents and has posted a section from Michael Wilton's declaration about the Brazil incident:

https://www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownroom/index.php?topic=2864.120

I second that.  He and others there are very on top of the latest information, so it's a great place to go to get up to speed on Queensryche happenings.  Personally, I will not be reposting things that are posted there, but others are free to do so if they like (which would be helpful, since not all members of this board can access Breakdown Room).

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #186 on: July 10, 2012, 12:40:49 PM »
Wilton's declaration is interesting as hell.

There must have been something said though that put Tate over the edge. The meeting, despite the fact that they told him why they fired Susan, seemed professional. If that caused him to start punching Scott and Wilton and spitting on them, then Tate has anger issues.

Remember that Tate said Scott said "We fired your family and your next" That definitely would cause Tate to lose his marbles.

This will be an interesting case of he said she said and I hope the crew and band corroborate Wilton's statement.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #187 on: July 10, 2012, 12:44:02 PM »
Wilton's declaration is interesting as hell.

There must have been something said though that put Tate over the edge. The meeting, despite the fact that they told him why they fired Susan, seemed professional. If that caused him to start punching Scott and Wilton and spitting on them, then Tate has anger issues.

Remember that Tate said Scott said "We fired your family and your next" That definitely would cause Tate to lose his marbles.

This will be an interesting case of he said she said and I hope the crew and band corroborate Wilton's statement.

Well, if you believe Tate's version of events, a statement like that out of the blue would have been completely out of line.  But IF Scott said it (or something like it that may have been a bit more tame and toned down), it is more understandable if you take the versions of the previous meeting as Whip and Scott lay them out in their own declarations, and figure that Scott was responding to Geoff's earlier spouting off out of frustration, anger, or whatever.  Remember the old addage about 3 sides to every story.  ;)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #188 on: July 10, 2012, 01:30:27 PM »
Did anyone else :lol at the "pet damages" outlined in Exhibit E of Tate's declaration? :lol :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #189 on: July 10, 2012, 01:40:12 PM »
Oh, and they were gonna re-record Mindcrime at the end of this year to celebrate its 25th anniversary??  L-A-M-E.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: July 10, 2012, 02:16:23 PM »
I didn't read all the statements (just the declaration, defense, band member statements, Slater, and Fozzy) but it looks like GT doesn't have a great case here. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #191 on: July 10, 2012, 03:59:53 PM »
www.wpapu.com/other/Case156.rar

That is all of the legal documents in a single file for anyone interested.

However I still highly recommend the forum and the deeper QR discussion that happens there. Here is the original thread: https://www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownroom/index.php?topic=2906.0
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 04:16:25 PM by Nick »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #192 on: July 10, 2012, 04:08:50 PM »
www.wpapu.com/other/Case156.rar

That is all of the legal documents in a single file for anyone interested.

However I still highly recommend the forum and the deeper QR discussion that happens there.

You know Nick, while the documents are publicly available to anyone, I *did* pay for all those documents with my own money and made them available HERE - https://www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownroom/index.php?topic=2906.0

I also planned on going one by one and making individual links in a little while when I got home.

At the very least, if you're going to use material that comes from The Breakdown Room or me, the material should be credited to the board. Not lifted and stored at your own site. I am sure plenty of people will do what you did. I can't stop them. But I thought members of The Breakdown Room would be more respectful to my efforts than that.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #193 on: July 10, 2012, 04:15:20 PM »
I recommended the forum in my post, and the only reason I didn't personally link to the forum is because a link to the thread in question was posted a few posts ago, but I'll edit it into my post.

Edit: Also, feel free to take the file and host it if you wish, and I'll delete it. My intention was simply an alternative to downloading 15 or so separate files individually.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 04:53:10 PM by Nick »
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: July 10, 2012, 04:25:37 PM »
boy its sad and pathetic that a 30 year band/friendships come down to something like this.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #195 on: July 10, 2012, 06:29:12 PM »
Oh, and they were gonna re-record Mindcrime at the end of this year to celebrate its 25th anniversary??  L-A-M-E.

Wow that would have been awful.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: July 10, 2012, 06:37:14 PM »

Oh God just saw that.  Even though I haven't given a toss about modern Queensryche since I heard American Soldier and hated it, I am so SO glad Geoff Tate is out now because this abomination will never come to pass. 

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #197 on: July 10, 2012, 07:16:52 PM »

QFT

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #198 on: July 10, 2012, 08:18:46 PM »
I just like that one of the guys said that MCII was Susan Tate's idea. Feels great hearing a member saying it after Geoff parade around to every interview talking about how it was planned from the beginning.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: July 10, 2012, 08:36:58 PM »
I tried liking M2, but it just never did anything for me.  American Soldier was much better IMO.

Re-recording Mindcrime would have been an obvious cash grab, but would have been so bad in many ways, plus doing that without DeGarmo is just laughable.  Probably Susan's idea also.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #200 on: July 10, 2012, 08:39:42 PM »
I tried liking M2, but it just never did anything for me.  American Soldier was much better IMO.

I agree on both points. American Soldier really wasn't that bad.

The best part about O:M2 was Dio!! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #201 on: July 10, 2012, 08:46:08 PM »
IF all else fails...Queensryche Of Fire has a nice ring to it.
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: July 10, 2012, 10:41:40 PM »
The first half of O:M 2 was pretty good; I think Murderer, Rearrange You, The Chase and Hostage are some of QR's strongest tracks since PL.  The second half really brings down the disc overall.  American Soldier has some solid tracks too, but seemed to struggle at the end too.  And I promised myself last summer that I would never listen to DTC again.  I havent, thus my opinion still hasnt changed.  Still garbage.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #203 on: July 10, 2012, 11:59:27 PM »
Blabbermouth is quoting the court documents and reporting Scott Rockenfield's version of events:

https://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=176573

After [2005], Geoff and [his wife] Susan Tate began controlling the band's direction and Geoff Tate insisted on pushing only the music he was interested in pursuing. This meant that all of the material that Michael Wilton, Eddie Jackson and I were submitting was not getting finished. As such, Geoff Tate was basically writing with his friends, many of which were not even professional musicians.

"I have hard drives of song material written by Eddie Jackson, Michael Wilton and I that have dates and times on the files showing that in 2010 we had written dozens of hard rock songs that Geoff Tate even began singing on, but eventually was not interested in completing. He changed direction on us in late 2010 and only wanted to pursue a more pop-sounding CD, which meant he was only interested in a majority of songs being written by his friends, some of whom were homeless and living at his house.

"I have been the main composer, producer, engineer and technician for all the live backing tracks, computers, film screens and technology that is used during all QUEENSRŸCHE shows from the very beginning. This is a massive, labor intensive undertaking for each tour and has become a huge part of all the live shows for QUEENSRŸCHE through the years.

"Our stage manager and monitor tech Kelly Gray's claim that he and Geoff Tate do all the work is completely false. 'Q2K' (2000) was when we added Kelly to the band to play guitar. He was also hired as a producer/mixer for the CD. Producing and mixing a CD has many added requirements and Kelly Gray handled them well. However, his claims that he and Geoff Tate wrote the entire CD is completely and utterly false. Kelly Gray and I spent many weeks at my home studio writing a large amount of songs, and Michael Wilton and Eddie Jackson did the same. Because of everyone's complete involvement, it was easily decided that we should just split all credits equally amongst the five members.

"Geoff Tate's ongoing assault and anger issues have become a serious detriment to the brand of QUEENSRŸCHE. In 2000, we had a band meeting regarding our next CD and at that meeting, he did not like some topics of discussion and stormed out of the meeting after throwing a chair across the room.

"In 2007, Geoff Tate was angered by something and approached me in the band's dressing room and proceeded to smash my laptop on the table and then hit me in the face while spitting on me and pushing me around the room for approximately 15 minutes.

"In mid-2011, the band held a meeting in the dressing room to discuss playing some of our older material such as 'Queen Of The Reich'. Geoff Tate got very upset and eventually screamed, 'I am NOT ever going to play those stupid songs!' He then stormed out of the room. We have not been allowed to perform those songs since.

"In late 2011, the band held another meeting in regards to performing 'Operation: Mindcrime' in its entirety for ShipRocked, a rock and roll-themed cruise scheduled for November 2011. The band was asking simple questions as to why we were being offered this and that. We wanted some more information about the offer. Geoff Tate got very upset and screamed at us, something to the effect of 'what's the problem and why can't you just do this?' and then stormed out of the dressing room.

"On April 14, 2012, in Sao Paulo, Brazil, Geoff Tate violently attacked and assaulted Michael Wilton, Eddie Jackson and me on stage just prior to show time. Geoff Tate's claim that I said to him, 'I've fired your family and now I'm going to fire you' is a complete lie and many witnesses support this. All of this ongoing assault and violence from Geoff Tate has repeatedly been very bad for the band's continued business as it has made it very difficult for the band to continue making music and play shows up to the standards that are expected by us and our worldwide fan base.

"In the last couple months at the final QUEENSRŸCHE shows that were planned with Geoff Tate, he has made repeated comments on stage to our fans about how 'they suck' and about how 'this could be the end,' etc., etc. He has made multiple comments to the band members about making sure 'we stay away from him on stage or he will attack us again.' He has also made ongoing statements after the Brazil incident about how he 'wants us to stay away from him or else.' His actions resulting from this are very damaging to the band's brand name and has our fans very upset about his remarks, comments and personality.

"I received an email contact from Mike Kadrie at Zoetifex Studios back on December 7, 2010. His company was very interested in making QUEENSRŸCHE's iconic concept album 'Operation: Mindcrime' into an animated feature film. He and I exchanged a few emails regarding this, and being that they were excited about proceeding, I ended up passing along his contact info to Susan Tate. Susan and Geoff Tate had many exchanges with them during the course of 2011. During that time, the company was trying to raise enough investment funds to secure the rights option for a two-year deal to then pursue the BIG monies from investors to make the entire full-length feature, which was to include some A-list talents and voices. However, they were not able to raise such funds during 2011. During the process in 2011, Mike Kadrie continued to correspond with me and Susan and Geoff Tate. However, during this process, Susan and Geoff Tate had told Mike to NOT continue conversations with me or the other band members which Mike Kadrie was able to convey to me in his emails.

"Early in 2012, I received an email from Mike Kadrie stating that they had secured the rights option to the film which was authorized and done only through Geoff Tate, and that Geoff Tate had signed the agreement for the rights to them without any knowledge given to the other band members. The deal also contained an advance of monies to secure this options right, which were sent to the band's accountant/attorney, Neil Sussman, to be held in escrow. After receiving this information from Mike Kadrie and Zoetifex Studios about securing the rights option, I informed Michael Wilton and Eddie Jackson and asked if they knew anything about this deal. Michael Wilton and Eddie Jackson had never been told about any film deals, and they were very upset about Geoff Tate presuming that he alone had the right to sign over any deals regarding any QUEENSRŸCHE intellectual properties. The band members then contacted our attorney Neil Sussman who proceeded to tell them that, YES, Geoff Tate did sign over a deal for the options rights to 'Operation: Mindcrime', the movie. When the band members asked Neil Sussman how he could allow such a deal to be done without their collective input, he responded by saying something to the effect that 'Geoff told me he owned the rights, and so I just believed him and told him to sign the deal.' This made Michael Wilton, Eddie Jackson and I FURIOUS.

"On March 7, 2012, Michael Wilton, Eddie Jackson and I immediately signed and sent a certified document to Neil Sussman and Geoff Tate stating that this contract and deal was not authorized and that we request that all contracts relating to this deal be 'suspended' and that Neil Sussman was 'NOT ALLOWED TO DISPERSE ANY MONIES BEING HELD IN ESCROW.'

"On March 8, 2012, Neil Sussman confirmed that he had received this certified mailing and that since there was a conflict of interest regarding this movie deal, that he would not continue to work on any such related matters, and that he would not disperse any monies being held in escrow.

"On April 14, 2012, in Brazil, the band held a meeting in our dressing room at Geoff Tate's request. During this meeting we asked Geoff Tate about this 'Operation: Mindcrime' movie deal. He responded by saying that he knew nothing about any 'Operation: Mindcrime' movie deal. When asked further questions, Geoff Tate responded by saying that, 'Yes, I signed a deal for the story rights and that was a deal for me.' The band members absolutely disagree with him and that anything related to QUEENSRŸCHE music, recordings, CDs, DVDs, videos, story lines, logos, and trademarks are absolutely considered intellectual properties owned by QUEENSRŸCHE, and that NO ONE band member has any rights to sign contracts or accept offers on behalf of QUEENSRŸCHE properties.

"On Saturday, April 14, 2012, at approximately 11:05 p.m., we (the band) had just arrived on the stage behind the curtain approximately 10 minutes before our show was to commence in Sao Paulo, Brazil, with 2000+ concertgoers in attendance. I was getting up onto my drum riser when fellow band member Geoff Tate walked in front of my drums and spit into my face while proceeding to yell obscenities at me. Geoff Tate then pushed my drums down onto the drum riser causing the first delays for the show. Geoff Tate then walked around the stage left behind Michael Wilton's guitar speakers and confronted Michael Wilton face to face. He proceeded to yell obscenities at him before striking him with his fist on the right upper side of Michael Wilton's face. I came off my drum riser to Michael Wilton's aid and told Geoff Tate to back off. Geoff Tate continued to yell obscenities and spit at both Michael Wilton and me, and then at that time proceeded to strike me in the face twice. I backed away and asked for security to assist the situation. Geoff Tate continued yelling obscenities and spitting at the band members while chasing us around the stage. The local stage security and our own crew came to assist in trying to subdue Geoff Tate. Geoff Tate continued to resist and kept chasing the band members around the stage, all the while screaming obscenities, spitting at them and threatening them. Our tour manager, Orlando Scott 'Fozzy' O'Hare, came to subdue Geoff Tate and move him to his position on the stage left. After a few minutes of Orlando Scott 'Fozzy' O'Hare trying to calm Geoff Tate down, Geoff Tate then came back across the stage at the band members. He continued to spit and yell obscenities and was trying to get close to them to continue his assault. Local security created a barrier between me, Eddie Jackson and Michael Wilton to keep Geoff Tate from approaching. This behavior continued for about 20 to 25 minutes while we were forced to delay the show. Michael Wilton was handed an ice pack to hold to his face to try and keep any swelling to a minimum. After the situation was under control, the other band members and the band's crew had to fix the damage caused to their equipment during this assault before the show could proceed as scheduled.

"Just minutes prior to the show commencing, Orlando Scott 'Fozzy' O'Hare was told by Geoff Tate that he was going to attack Eddie Jackson next and that he was going to 'mess' with me all during the show. The entire incident lasted about 25 minutes. During the show, Geoff Tate continued to spit on the band members and their equipment, which was clearly seen by the fans in attendance and caused a very uncomfortable situation for the band to perform at the level the fans expected and paid for.

"During the show, Orlando Scott 'Fozzy' O'Hare advised us to exit the stage and go directly into our transportation to get away from Geoff Tate and his possible continued assault. There was concern that Geoff Tate would try and assault us on stage during our final bows to the crowd. We arrived at our hotel safely soon thereafter and were told to stay in our rooms until later the next day to avoid any further confrontations. Local authorities in discussion with our stage manager, Orlando Scott 'Fozzy' O'Hare, agreed to have Geoff Tate booked on another plane flight different from our original flights to also further avoid confrontations. Geoff Tate's new flight cost over $2,500. Later in the night when Geoff Tate departed the venue with Orlando Scott 'Fozzy' O'Hare to go back to the hotel, Geoff Tate proceeded to tell Orlando Scott 'Fozzy' O'Hare to tell me to 'keep the f**k away from him.'

"Geoff Tate's continued lack of interest in original QUEENSRŸCHE music or playing the older QUEENSRŸCHE music is resulting in damage to the brand of QUEENSRŸCHE. His recent and ongoing threats and assaults continued to place a great amount of stress on the remaining band members and their crew. Geoff Tate was no longer allowed to travel with the band, stay in the same hotels, participate in any band interviews, and had to be escorted at the venues with security. This was a very damaging form of business and had left the band with no choice but to move on without him." 

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #204 on: July 11, 2012, 12:10:26 AM »
Holy shit.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: July 11, 2012, 12:38:40 AM »
Yikes

Offline PetFish

« Reply #206 on: July 11, 2012, 01:18:19 AM »
I'm just a casual Queensryche fan but this is pathetic.

I hope the band gets what they deserve, and I hope Tate gets what he deserves.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #207 on: July 11, 2012, 06:37:54 AM »
And now, we have more...  Michael Wilton's account of what has happened in the new reality show called Queensryche...

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=176587

I would've posted the actual article.  But, it was just way too frickin' long!  Interesting read, though.  I'll be curious to see how Tate refutes all this stuff.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #208 on: July 11, 2012, 06:47:42 AM »
Guys, if you head over to Samsara's site you can see ALL the legal documents for yourself, just FYI.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #209 on: July 11, 2012, 07:05:50 AM »
I believe MP's negative assessment of Tate from years ago has proven to be quite true.