Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 160748 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #2730 on: June 29, 2014, 08:52:05 AM »
Steely Dan - F.M.

In the early 90s, I was a fan of buying greatest hits or compilations by classic rock bands, as it seemed like an easy way to get into their most popular stuff, and at the time I had no idea that I would eventually buy so many CDs, so when I got the A Decade of Steely Dan CD, F.M. was Track 1, and I was sucked in immediately; I thought it was awesome from the get-go.  And I still love it.  And of course it has, to me, one of the most obvious misheard lyrics ever: "Give her some funked up music..." sounds like, well, you know. :lol :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2731 on: June 29, 2014, 08:56:50 AM »
Not much of a Steely Dan fan here.  That Styx song came up on my iPhone yesterday.  Great, simple, straightforward track that showcases Dennis vocals.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2732 on: June 29, 2014, 02:42:14 PM »
F.M. is one of my favorite Steely Dan songs.  Also, the movie is pretty awesome.

I had a dream once where I worked at a radio station.  Believe it or not, I was the morning D.J. and my handle was "Orbert in the morning".  One time I was there in the studio doing my show, and everything was fucking up.  Carts getting stuck, buttons and knobs not working, and I just looked over at my producer and shrugged and said "No static at all" and he said "No static at all" because that was our catch phrase for when things screw up.  Weird how in dreams there can be people with backstories and everything.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2733 on: June 29, 2014, 03:49:46 PM »
I love love love Steely Dan, and that is a great song. 

One of our local radio stations used to use "No static at all"  in a bumper.  Always brought a smile to my face.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2734 on: June 29, 2014, 07:32:33 PM »
I love me some FM.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2735 on: June 30, 2014, 08:47:06 AM »
Paul McCartney - Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey

First off, I am stubbornly refusing to acknowledge Linda McCartney as being half of the artist here, even though I know the Ram album and this song is technically by both of them.  Sue me. :lol

Second, I love this song.  It's silly and whimsical, musically and lyrically, which is a major part of its appeal.  And it's one of those songs that nearly everyone over a certain age knows, even though they may not even realize it, but walk up to anyone over, say, 50 and sing, "Haaaaaaaands across the water," and more often than not you'll get a response of "water" in a silly voice.  :rollin :rollin

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2736 on: June 30, 2014, 09:08:17 AM »
Never heard it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2737 on: June 30, 2014, 09:22:27 AM »
Really?? Wow.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2738 on: June 30, 2014, 09:29:13 AM »
*shrugs*

Never received any airplay on the local classic rock stations, and I've never cared to delve very deeply into Paul's solo stuff beyond the big hits.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2739 on: June 30, 2014, 09:31:27 AM »
I see, but that WAS a big hit.  It was his first number 1 post-Beatles in the States. *shrugs*

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2740 on: June 30, 2014, 09:54:17 AM »
Silly and whimsical is a great way to describe it.  Fun when I hear it, but not much lasting value, and I'm glad when it's over.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2741 on: June 30, 2014, 10:03:24 AM »
John Cleese!

Still one of my favorite solo Paul McCartney songs.  As far as the Linda co-credit, I think Paul was on a thing where he shared credits with Linda the same way Paul and John always shared credits in The Beatles regardless of who actually wrote the song and how much.  She was his wife, and he's Paul Freakin' McCartney.  People always asked him, and her, why she was in Wings.  She shook a tambourine and played a few keyboard lines (with little stickers on the keys to show her which notes to play), and she sang background vocals but they turned her mike way down.  But she was up there on stage because Paul wanted his wife up there with him.  It's his band, so she's in the band.  Simple as that.

Paul is one of those composers who constantly has 100 melodies and bits of songs floating around in his head, and once in a while he ends up stringing them together into something.  A lot of his songs are like that; clearly made up of different things but put together anyway.  I like it.  It makes those songs like a mini-suite or something, with each of the bits a separate movement.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2742 on: June 30, 2014, 10:44:01 AM »
Loved this song when it came out but I've not heard for years and I'm not keen to go find it now. It was great fun at the time.

There was a bar in my hometown called Uncle Albert's. Every time we went there on Friday nights we'd be singing the song as we went in just to watch the barmaid roll her eyes.  :biggrin:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2743 on: June 30, 2014, 11:11:39 AM »
Didn't recognize that title at all. Listened to it, and it didn't sound familiar at all. Then I got to the "Hands across the water.." part and that sounded familiar. Ultimately, totally forgettable.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2744 on: June 30, 2014, 11:20:44 AM »
Very catchy tune from my youth.  Paul loves his light hearted songs and this is a good one.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2745 on: June 30, 2014, 11:25:10 AM »
I see, but that WAS a big hit.  It was his first number 1 post-Beatles in the States. *shrugs*
*shrugs*

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2746 on: June 30, 2014, 06:41:35 PM »
It's a fun number. I enjoy it a lot

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2747 on: June 30, 2014, 07:09:42 PM »
Hef, with all the shrugs today your traps must be sore!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2748 on: July 01, 2014, 08:14:57 AM »
The Doobie Brothers - Takin' It to the Streets

I believe this was the first big hit they had once Michael McDonald joined the band, and the song just reeks of his style, while still featuring the lovely harmonies the Doobies were known for in the chorus.  Really good song.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2749 on: July 01, 2014, 08:41:28 AM »
Agreed. Such a joyous, awesome song

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2750 on: July 01, 2014, 09:41:24 AM »
Very good, but not my favorite Doobie Brothers track.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2751 on: July 01, 2014, 11:13:40 AM »
Very good, but not my favorite Doobie Brothers track.

Ditto.  Catchy chorus... Doobie's were good for that.  First time I ever heard of The Doobie Brothers, was from Michael Douglas.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2752 on: July 01, 2014, 11:30:27 AM »
I grew up with the original Doobie Brothers, you know, "China Grove" and "Black Water" and "Listen to the Music", so when Michael McDonald joined and they basically became The Michael McDonald Band, I was pretty bummed.  The conflict came when I realized that they were still a pretty good band, and I liked a bunch of the newer songs.

I prefer "Livin' on the Faultline" (vibes solo!) and "Minute by Minute" as far as later Doobie Brothers goes, but this one's alright.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2753 on: July 01, 2014, 12:04:16 PM »
I mostly got to know the Doobies through one of those lovely greatest hits back in the 90s :lol, so to me, it was all Doobie Brothers-sounding, but back in 1976, it had to have been somewhat a shock to hear their sound change that much.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2754 on: July 01, 2014, 01:48:05 PM »
Never liked the Doobies. Never hated them, just never liked any of their material. Always a channel-flipper as it seems like they still get a reasonable about of classic rock radio airplay.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2755 on: July 01, 2014, 05:47:39 PM »
I grew up with the original Doobie Brothers, you know, "China Grove" and "Black Water" and "Listen to the Music", so when Michael McDonald joined and they basically became The Michael McDonald Band, I was pretty bummed.  The conflict came when I realized that they were still a pretty good band, and I liked a bunch of the newer songs.

I prefer "Livin' on the Faultline" (vibes solo!) and "Minute by Minute" as far as later Doobie Brothers goes, but this one's alright.

Though I like the song I agree with Bob.  Something was missing that was essentially The Doobie Brothers when Michael joined.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2756 on: July 02, 2014, 09:01:15 AM »
Bad Company - Shooting Star

This song is catchy enough, I guess, but it has always felt like a chore to get through it, and I have no idea why.  Maybe it's because that repetitive outro is so damn long that it feels like they are needlessly stretching the song out.  In short, it's always felt like a song I should like a lot, but never have.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2757 on: July 02, 2014, 09:14:18 AM »
I never really could get into Bad Company's music except Burnin' Sky which almost everybody else hated. :lol

Shooting Star always came off as too slow, whiny and just a little obvious. Still, I thought Paul Rogers was a decent vocalist but perhaps not the best songwriter.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2758 on: July 02, 2014, 09:18:19 AM »
That's funny, cause I almost featured Burnin' Sky today, but I thought, "Nah, I'll do that as the next Bad Company song somewhere down the line." :lol :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2759 on: July 02, 2014, 09:58:03 AM »
I always liked this song.  Not sure what is wrong with you people.  :biggrin:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2760 on: July 02, 2014, 10:14:18 AM »
It's one of the few Bad Company songs I like, and I don't even know why.  I find Bad Company in general to be kinda boring, and Paul Rodgers has a nice voice but I honestly don't see what's so amazing about him, either.  The story's kinda obvious, but it resonates with anyone who dreams of being a star, or did in the past anyway.  I agree that it does seem kinda plodding and the outro goes on a bit too long.

Edit: typos
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 11:07:57 AM by Orbert »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2761 on: July 02, 2014, 10:15:18 AM »
:iagree:

Nothing special, but nothing wrong with this one either.  I always found Bad Company to be a pretty straight forward, meat-and-potatoes rock band.  I only know their hits though.  I don't dislike them, but not sure I'd go out of my way to listen to them.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2762 on: July 02, 2014, 12:52:26 PM »
  I like everything I've heard from Bad Company.  Meat & Potatoes rock band, but good stuff.  This is a good tune.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2763 on: July 02, 2014, 04:06:16 PM »
  I like everything I've heard from Bad Company.  Meat & Potatoes rock band, but good stuff.  This is a good tune.

This but I never went past the greatest hits.  Rock N Roll Fantasy is my favorite song by them.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2764 on: July 02, 2014, 06:56:34 PM »
This is my favorite song of theirs, so yes, I'm a fan