Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 161326 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #2485 on: May 30, 2014, 09:19:16 AM »
There is so much nostalgia wrapped up in this tune that I can't help but love it. I'd probably call it the weakest song on the album but hey, it still rocks!  :metal
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2486 on: May 30, 2014, 09:23:17 AM »
Definitely not one of Sabbath's best tunes, or most representative, but it's still a rockin' song. :metal For a song written last minute, not too bad at all.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2487 on: May 30, 2014, 09:43:52 AM »
A good song, but certainly not my favorite from this album.  I think it gets some kind of popularity boost from being the title track to probably their best-known album, but overall it's a bit short and by-the-numbers.  If you like your Black Sabbath in small, bite-sized pieces then I guess this works, but to me, that's not really their strength.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2488 on: May 30, 2014, 09:59:18 AM »
A good song, but certainly not my favorite from this album.  I think it gets some kind of popularity boost from being the title track to probably their best-known album, but overall it's a bit short and by-the-numbers.  If you like your Black Sabbath in small, bite-sized pieces then I guess this works, but to me, that's not really their strength.

While I agree it's not one of their best songs by any stretch, I think the fact it's such a short and simple song actually makes it a bit of a unique song for them, so it's not really by the numbers for Sabbath, or even for a song of that length imo.
It still has some of that signature Sabbath structural strangeness, not really having a clear chorus, which they did often in their music. The majority of the vocals are clearly verses, and the only part that deviates from that ("can you help me...") doesn't really come across as a chorus either, other than by process of elimination if you really wanted to argue it.

And I think the song ended up as genre defining as many of their other songs, so I give it credit for that. Given that it was written on the spot, I'd say it's still quite successful for what it is. As far as "most popular songs by bands that aren't representative of the rest of their music", they could have done much worse. :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2489 on: May 30, 2014, 10:10:24 AM »
That's a good way to look at it.  I wasn't aware of the background of the song, only the finished product.  It does sound a bit thrown together.  It's not a bad song by any means, it just doesn't do much for me.  It's over before you have a chance to dig it.

I like a lot of Black Sabbath, and there is also a lot of their stuff that I don't like.  I've never really figured out what it is about any given song that grabs me or repels me.  You're right in that this song doesn't have a common structure, possibly because it is so short; there's almost no room for it to even have a standard verse-chorus structure.  The "Can you help me?" section is definitely the refrain, it's just not really long enough to call it a chorus in the traditional sense.  I guess by "by the numbers" I just meant that it has a number of Black Sabbath trademarks, as you've mentioned, but in smaller doses.  A riff, a melody, a dash a weirdness, stir and season to taste, instant Black Sabbath song.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2490 on: May 30, 2014, 10:19:23 AM »
The song probably would have ended up being a regular song length if they'd come up with a proper "chorus" to stick at the end of each verse or two, so it would have made room!

Being such a rushed song, it is only a hint of those Black Sabbath elements, and even missing a lot of other important elements, but in that spontaneity, it also captured a raw early metal song, stripped back to some of the bare elements that shaped the genre. I think that's kinda cool, even if the song isn't anything stellar to listen to on its own.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2491 on: May 30, 2014, 11:05:53 AM »
I always loved how "oh, we need one more song, let's just bang something out and throw it on there" wound up becoming one of the most iconic moments in Sabbath's history. I actually agree with the notion that Paranoid is basically Black Sabbath rendered digestible by brevity and a lack of overthinking-they just did what they did, very fast, and accidentally made a classic. It's nowhere near the top tier of songs on the album, but it's genre defining at the same time.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2492 on: May 30, 2014, 11:19:05 AM »
I always loved how "oh, we need one more song, let's just bang something out and throw it on there" wound up becoming one of the most iconic moments in Sabbath's history. I actually agree with the notion that Paranoid is basically Black Sabbath rendered digestible by brevity and a lack of overthinking-they just did what they did, very fast, and accidentally made a classic. It's nowhere near the top tier of songs on the album, but it's genre defining at the same time.

Excellent post.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2493 on: May 30, 2014, 04:34:21 PM »
Kicks so much ass  :metal

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2494 on: May 30, 2014, 05:22:39 PM »
just a kick ass tune!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2495 on: May 31, 2014, 12:42:29 PM »
Eric Clapton - Forever Man

Kind of a later classic, being from 1985 and all, but it has that classic rock feel and got played a ton on classic rock radio, so it fits the bill.  Good song.  I have never been a big Clapton fan, but he has a handful of solo songs that I enjoy quite a bit; this is one of them.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2496 on: May 31, 2014, 02:05:03 PM »
I like this song but I was glad that he went for something different on the next album, August.  I felt that Clapton was getting stale listening to Behind The Sun.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2497 on: May 31, 2014, 02:25:07 PM »
I like this one because it's later Clapton and he seemed like he was kinda slowing down, but this song showed that he could still rock out.  I like the heavy beat, and the percussive sound to it.  It kicks.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2498 on: May 31, 2014, 03:56:30 PM »
August was the better album of the two Phil Collins had a part in working on with Clapton in the 80s-and the tour where Clapton's band was him, Phil Collins, Nathan East on bass and Greg Phillinganes on keyboards was fan-fucking-tastic-but Beyond the Sun was essentially a comeback for Clapton after a few dud albums where he put his guitar playing behind his singing. Forever Man's okay, but the whole album was kind of a necessary step for Clapton to get back on track.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2499 on: June 01, 2014, 05:07:58 AM »
Forever Man is an OK song, but there are metric tons of better Clapton songs.  For me, this is from his period where he was starting to lose it a little, straying too far from his blues roots.  But hey, that's just me.

I love Paranoid.  Maybe it helps that I'm not a huge Sabbath fan.  Whenever I've delved a little deeper and try to explore them beyond their more well-known songs, I'm left still overwhelmingly preferring their radio songs (this, War Pigs, Iron Man, etc). 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2500 on: June 01, 2014, 06:12:38 AM »
I quite like this era of Clapton/Collins....................as Jaq said the live shows were great and (via my Dad) August was my first exposure to Clapton and I grew to like it.  Come to think of it my first exposure to Collins was the collaboration  with Bailey..................Easy Lover.  Another old favourite.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2501 on: June 01, 2014, 09:34:42 PM »
Ted Nugent - Free-For-All

The "Suck it!" part still makes me LOL for real, and overall this is a solid, enjoyable rock tune.  It's hard not to listen to songs now with Nugent on lead vocals and not remember what a raving lunatic he has become this century, but I still like this song, regardless.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2502 on: June 01, 2014, 10:58:32 PM »
I agree with all of that, especially laughing at "Suck it!"

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2503 on: June 02, 2014, 06:46:47 AM »
I bought Free For All from the new release rack at Raspberry Records when I was 14 or 15. I was so surprised by the heavy sound of the guitars at the time that I felt a bit rebellious. I was actually thinking about this album a few days ago, and this song in particular, and was thinking of digging it up but then I remembered that Nugent is a douche and I couldn't be bothered. I can't seem to separate the man he is now from the music he made then. It's too bad, I really liked Free For All when it came out.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2504 on: June 02, 2014, 06:50:18 AM »
Ted's music never did it for me.  Even in the 80's with Damn Yankees, his song were my least favorite.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2505 on: June 02, 2014, 07:20:37 AM »
I went through a real Nugent phase in the 80s, before he joined Damn Yankees (who I also really liked).  This was one of my faves from him, lots of fun (as a lot of his songs were).  But yeah, he's batshit crazy.

Still love his old music, though. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2506 on: June 02, 2014, 01:40:29 PM »
Queen - Tie Your Mother Down

I adore this song; have since the first time I heard it.  It just has a driving energy that is hard not to love, and the chorus is the usual Queen catchiness.  Regarding the intro, I originally knew the song from the greatest hits, where it omitted that first minute, so I was used to it that way, but that intro is hard not to love.  However, I will admit that sometimes I just wanna hear the song to rock out and don't wanna mess around with the intro, so I have both versions handy for such purposes.  Either way, it's one of my favorite songs by one of my favorite bands.  'Nuff said. :coolio

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2507 on: June 02, 2014, 01:59:42 PM »
Great song.

Time for a quick Orbert-parent story.  I was listening to this song one time when my son was maybe eight years old.  He asked me what it was about.  Why is he asking her to tie her mother down?  Good question, actually.  My on-the-spot answer was that her parents don't like him, but he wants to come over and see her, so he's telling her to tie her mother up somewhere so she'll leave him alone.

"That's not very nice" says Son-of-Orbert.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2508 on: June 02, 2014, 02:02:15 PM »
Good song, but one I sometimes forget about because they have so many others which I like more.  Which is no disrespect to Tie Your Mother Down, because it's fantastic.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2509 on: June 02, 2014, 02:07:01 PM »
Not my favorrite Queen song by any stretch.

Saw Brian May open for GnR on St, Patty's Day '93 at the Garden, and Gary Cherone came out and sang this with May and his band (which included Cozy Powell!!).
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2510 on: June 02, 2014, 02:38:54 PM »
I love this song! To me it is the best (only?) reason to buy A Day At The Races.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2511 on: June 03, 2014, 06:44:40 AM »
Great song, maybe top 10 Queen song. It kicks so much ass

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2512 on: June 03, 2014, 08:28:29 AM »
Aerosmith - Same Old Song and Dance

This is another classic that I have never gone out of my to hear, but it's a catchy enough, toe-tapping tune, that I usually enjoy, even if I don't seek it out.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2513 on: June 03, 2014, 08:31:13 AM »
Love, love this song! I will go out of my way to put on this song and the entire Get Your Wings album. Next to Rocks this is my favorite Aerosmith record.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2514 on: June 03, 2014, 09:45:00 AM »
Aerosmith - Same Old Song and Dance

This is another classic that I have never gone out of my to hear, but it's a catchy enough, toe-tapping tune, that I usually enjoy, even if I don't seek it out.
I'm pretty much with you on this one.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2515 on: June 03, 2014, 10:02:47 AM »
Get Your Wings is awesome.  At our annual jamfest, we're gonna try to cover the entire album this year, just for the hell of it.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2516 on: June 03, 2014, 10:14:27 AM »
One of the few Aerosmith songs I really enjoy.

It's not that I dislike Aerosmith... I do.. but not much of theirs makes me go "ZOMG!!!1"
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2517 on: June 04, 2014, 07:55:28 AM »
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

This is a nice little song, and one that I cannot hear without thinking of Mr. Holland's Opus because of its placement of it in that film.  This tended to get played on the softer classic rock stations (ones that played a lot of Elton John, Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles, rather than ones that played a lot of Zeppelin, Rush and Floyd), but it's still a classic rock staple, nonetheless.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2518 on: June 04, 2014, 07:57:31 AM »
Great song, although it's so sad when you think of what he was going through with that album losing his wife to an overdose

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2519 on: June 04, 2014, 08:04:07 AM »

Kind of like Pull Me Under.

Get Your Wings is awesome.   

Absolutely!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol