Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 160762 times)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #2380 on: May 14, 2014, 08:49:01 PM »
Boston - Rock and Roll Band

funny, I heard this song tonight at a little bar/restaurant on the water in Key West.  Great song!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2381 on: May 15, 2014, 10:32:50 AM »
Five Man Electrical Band - Signs

I suspect many are more familiar with the Tesla cover from the early 90s, but the original by Five Man Electrical Band was somewhat of a classic rock staple for quite a while.  I was never much of a fan of this song, regardless of what version it was, but it was popular enough to warrant being featured.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2382 on: May 15, 2014, 10:59:20 AM »
This is a song where the message and the concept are more important than the song itself.  I of course grew up with the original version by the Five Man Electrical Band.  I remember environmentalists talking about how the beauty of nature is being spoiled by all the huge billboards, and it did seem like everywhere you went, there was a sign telling you what you couldn't do or were supposed to do or whatever.  And of course I always wanted to be one of those "long-haired freaky people" who people judge by their cover, just so I could mess with people's perceptions and expectations.

But I do understand why some people think the song is dumb or trite or whatever.  I just think they're wrong.  :P

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2383 on: May 15, 2014, 12:04:59 PM »
Maybe it was more popular in some areas than others, but I never heard this in my life until after Tesla released their cover.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2384 on: May 16, 2014, 02:22:42 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, the two versions were also in different keys, and George Martin had to play with the tape speeds to get them to sound in the same key when he put them together.  I may be thinking of a different song.  But I know he did it at least once.  George Martin was a genius.  To me, he was the real Fifth Beatle.

You're correct about the different key thing, and I agree with you - George Martin was most definitely the fifth Beatle.

Boston - Rock and Roll Band
You cannot convince me that anything from Boston's first album is not a masterpiece. :metal

Five Man Electrical Band - Signs
Maybe it was more popular in some areas than others, but I never heard this in my life until after Tesla released their cover.

I'm with hef on this one.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2385 on: May 16, 2014, 07:28:55 AM »
Yeah, baby.  :metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2386 on: May 16, 2014, 12:46:36 PM »
I'll be curious to see if anyone knows this one...

Jonathan Edwards - Shanty

This is kind of a folk song more than anything, but it was a KSHE staple for decades (hell, it still might be, for all I know :lol), as it was always played on Friday morning, kind of their way of announcing, "Hey, the weekend's almost here!"  I can't say I've ever gone out of my way to hear it, but it's notable to me for that reason. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2387 on: May 16, 2014, 01:17:50 PM »
Don't know this one.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2388 on: May 16, 2014, 10:42:47 PM »
Most definitely local.

You stumped me and Orbert. I think you win something for that, Kev.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2389 on: May 16, 2014, 10:47:11 PM »
Awesome.  One of you guys can PM me for my address so you know where to send my prize. :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2390 on: May 16, 2014, 10:50:26 PM »
Steely Dan - Deacon Blues

Like the rest of Aja, this song is pretty much aces.  I love the jazz rock feel of it, while still having memorable melodies all over the place.  I know that Steely Dan isn't everyone's cup of tea, but when I am in the right mood, they scratch just the right itch, and this is one of my go-to Steely Dan songs. :coolio

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2391 on: May 16, 2014, 11:44:29 PM »
Great song.  Aja was my first Steely Dan album, a record club purchase, after hearing them on the radio for years but never really checking them out.  Whoa.  I played the hell out of that album.  It's still my favorite, but mostly because I know it inside and out.  I worked my way back through their catalogue, and it's all pretty great.  Gaucho isn't quite as good, but when they reformed years later, the two new ones are pretty good.  As with most bands, their earliest stuff is often the best.  They were younger, hungrier, and more willing to take chances.  Also, they mellowed out a lot.  Those early albums have a certain edge to them that got dulled a bit as they got older.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2392 on: May 17, 2014, 06:35:12 AM »
Great song.  Aja is also my favorite SD album.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2393 on: May 17, 2014, 06:51:20 AM »
LOVE LOVE LOVE this song and album. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2394 on: May 18, 2014, 08:23:19 AM »
The Cars - Since You're Gone

This has always been one of my favorite Cars songs since getting into the band in '83/'84.  Heartbeat City made me a fan, and when I heard the rest of their hits on a friend's greatest hits cassette - that's right, cassette :lol :lol - this song really stood out.  It's still pretty great.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:06:38 PM by KevShmev »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2395 on: May 18, 2014, 08:29:37 AM »
BTW Kev, I never heard Jonathan Edwards - Shanty either! :lol

Since your gone is a fun song but a middle of the pack song from the Cars for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2396 on: May 18, 2014, 03:54:44 PM »
I like The Cars, but after playing their debut album to death, pretty much everything after that tended to sound the same.  Their sound did evolve a bit over time, but never ventured far from that quirky, new wave sound.

This song's okay, but I'd honestly forgotten about it until just now.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2397 on: May 18, 2014, 04:08:53 PM »
Love the Cars to bits. Ric Ocasek just wrote endless reams of perfect pop-rock songs, and their initial association with new wave music aside, they were just plain a great rock band. Looking over my top 50, I am kicking myself for not getting an album by the Cars on it (probably Candy-O, that's fucking amazing.) I haven't mentioned the song much because any single off their first five albums pretty much defaulted to awesome, and this is no exception.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2398 on: May 18, 2014, 07:57:04 PM »
Hey Jaq, what did you think of Move Like This?  I picked that one up when it came out, just to see.  Did you grab it?  You sound like a big Cars fan.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2399 on: May 18, 2014, 09:56:20 PM »
As huge of a fan of the Cars as I am, I actually haven't gotten around to listening to it yet. Will have to rectify that.  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2400 on: May 19, 2014, 06:52:57 AM »
You should.  I was gonna offer my opinion and comments, but if you haven't heard it yet, I'll hold off.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2401 on: May 19, 2014, 07:04:42 AM »
I think part of my reason for not listening to it was the lack of Ben Orr-was concerned it would be a bit one note without his vocals to balance out Ocasek's. I'll check it out.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2402 on: May 19, 2014, 07:39:56 AM »
I found it good, but not great.  I haven't listened to Move Like This in a while.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2403 on: May 19, 2014, 10:35:45 AM »
It was pretty much what I expected.  Without Benjamin, yeah the vocals are all Ric, and they went with programmed and keyboard bass, which was actually kinda cool.  It was the remaining four original members, no substitutions.  Overall, pretty good, a couple pretty catchy songs, Ric is still weird.  I was hoping for maybe something weird, way outside the box, but that's not The Cars.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2404 on: May 19, 2014, 11:19:44 AM »
No love for the Cars here.  :tdwn

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2405 on: May 19, 2014, 12:43:09 PM »
Molly Hatchet - Flirtin' with Disaster

This is another one of those classic rock staples that I almost never go out of my way to hear, but whenever I hear it, I always think, "This is pretty damn good," so who knows why I don't ever actually seek it out.  Even listening now, one of the few times in my life I actually have gone out of my way to hear it, I am enjoying the hell out of it.  Some songs are just like that, I suppose.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2406 on: May 19, 2014, 01:05:39 PM »
Put me in the boat as the official hater of Molly Hatchet.  Can't stand their music, saw them live twice with BOC and I hated them and Flirtin' is the only song I can tolerate.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2407 on: May 19, 2014, 01:19:35 PM »
Some interesting and fun guitar work. Monotonous drums. Poor imitation Ronnie Van Zant vocals. Hyper annoying cowboy whistle. All in all, the bad outweighs the good or so it seems to me...y'all know what I mean? Not my thing.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2408 on: May 19, 2014, 01:30:22 PM »
I picked up a Molly Hatchet album a long time ago; I'm sure I still have it, but I couldn't tell you the name.  I'd heard a few songs by them, thought their guitar work was pretty good, and decided to check out an album.  I guess Southern Rock is one of those genres I'm okay with in small doses, but I found myself getting kinda bored listening to a whole album.

This song is pretty good.  Most bands, most genres even, if it's upbeat and not too obnoxious, I'm okay with it.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2409 on: May 19, 2014, 02:36:19 PM »
I love Molly Hatchet, especially their first two albums, but I never really much liked Flirting With Disaster. If there's a Molly Hatchet by numbers song, this is it. Nice guitar work though, they always had that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2410 on: May 19, 2014, 03:01:04 PM »
Hatchet is OK, but there is a lot better Southern rock out there.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2411 on: May 19, 2014, 09:55:48 PM »
I wasn't expecting more meh and bad comments than good ones about this tune, but hey, that's the fun of this thread, right? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2412 on: May 19, 2014, 10:01:03 PM »
April Wine - I Like to Rock

This song got a lot of airplay here in St. Louis back in the day.  The coolest thing is the intro, which is a nice little build-up to the meat of the song.  Overall, it's pretty much a run of the mill 70s rock tune, but I like it.  Nothing too fancy about it, really, but it's enjoyable.  And of course, it's like the 245th song to borrow the Day Tripper riff (hear at the end of the song). :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2413 on: May 19, 2014, 10:15:37 PM »
It's not just the Day Tripper riff, they combine it with a combine others.  I haven't heard the song in a while, but I'm pretty sure Satisfaction is in there, and I think one other.  I mean, that's the whole point of the song.  It's a rock and roll song about rock and roll songs.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2414 on: May 20, 2014, 06:55:54 AM »
It's just Satisfaction and Day Tripper bouncing off the main riff of the song. I always remembered it as three too, but I just listened to it on Spotify and it's those two, each one in a channel with the main riff taking up the middle. I remember long ago hearing this song on the radio and the DJ derisively saying "real original, guys" and my response being "way to miss the point, jack ass."

A constant: local radio has sucked all my life.  :lol