Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 160769 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #1925 on: February 26, 2014, 06:28:52 PM »
Great song off a great album. I love the way the chorus kicks in. :metal

This is actually my favorite song of Diary of a Madman which probably makes me a bit of a heretic.

I reckon it'd be mine too along with S.A.T.O.

Randy  :hefdaddy

I'd probably have to go with one of the first 2 tracks (Over the Mountain, Flying High Again), but the Rhoads albums are so consistent, there's really no wrong answer. :hat

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1926 on: February 26, 2014, 10:13:15 PM »
I figured this would be a popular choice.  Good to see I was right. :coolio

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1927 on: February 27, 2014, 07:09:10 AM »
I'd probably have to go with one of the first 2 tracks (Over the Mountain, Flying High Again), but the Rhoads albums are so consistent, there's really no wrong answer. :hat

In 1981 I'd have been right there with you, but we overplayed those two songs so much that my brain automatically shuts my ears off when they play. Especially Flying High Again. Ug, my buddy probably played that song five times per day for a decade. Then he backed down to only a few times per day.

Actually, I never see him anymore and I think that's why. I don't really even miss him. Hmmmm...
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1928 on: February 27, 2014, 07:27:05 AM »

In 1981 I'd have been right there with you, but we overplayed those two songs so much that my brain automatically shuts my ears off when they play. Especially Flying High Again. Ug, my buddy probably played that song five times per day for a decade. Then he backed down to only a few times per day.

Actually, I never see him anymore and I think that's why. I don't really even miss him. Hmmmm...

:lol Luckily I'm quite resistant to overplaying music if it's that good. Then again, 5 times a day for a decade might eventually get a *tad* grating.......

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1929 on: February 27, 2014, 07:51:46 AM »
My favorite off Diary is easily the title track.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1930 on: February 27, 2014, 09:07:53 AM »
Flying High Again is good, but KSHE played the shit out of that back in the day when I used to actually listen to the radio, so I, too, am sick to death of that song. 

But, for my money, Diary of a Madman is better than Bizzard of Ozz. While Blizzard is more top-heavy, Diary doesn't have anything as nauseating as Goodbye to Romance or as skippable as No Bone Movies or Steal Away the Night.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1931 on: February 27, 2014, 10:42:29 AM »
You Can't Kill Rock And Roll only saw airplay in these parts when Diary was out. Haven't heard it on the radio for years. I prefer Blizzard because it has the higher highs, but Diary is far more consistent over all.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1932 on: February 27, 2014, 11:18:58 AM »
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Have You Ever Seen the Rain?

CCR has better songs, and definitely songs I like more, but this chorus is one of those that is impossible for me to not sing along to.  Probably because of the way he sings the main line each time, seemingly changing the word to emphasize the most every time.  Sometimes, he holds "ever," sometimes he holds "seen," and sometimes he holds "rain."  Something really cool about that.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1933 on: February 27, 2014, 11:25:32 AM »

CCR has better songs, and definitely songs I like more, but this chorus is one of those that is impossible for me to not sing along to.  Probably because of the way he sings the main line each time, seemingly changing the word to emphasize the most every time.  Sometimes, he holds "ever," sometimes he holds "seen," and sometimes he holds "rain."  Something really cool about that.

This is just one of those songs I gotta blast when it comes on the radio
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1934 on: February 27, 2014, 11:34:13 AM »
Flying High Again is good, but KSHE played the shit out of that back in the day when I used to actually listen to the radio, so I, too, am sick to death of that song. 

But, for my money, Diary of a Madman is better than Bizzard of Ozz. While Blizzard is more top-heavy, Diary doesn't have anything as nauseating as Goodbye to Romance or as skippable as No Bone Movies or Steal Away the Night.

Dude!  My cover band in the 80's played that song.  I loved it!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1935 on: February 27, 2014, 01:36:11 PM »
-snip-

I really love CCR but this song has never done it for me. The things you mention about the chorus is pretty cool though!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1936 on: February 27, 2014, 06:09:50 PM »
Most CCR and Fogerty is pretty good.  They are all pretty much the same so the quality is usually there.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1937 on: February 27, 2014, 06:11:17 PM »
Whoa, a song I know! :D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1938 on: February 27, 2014, 06:33:20 PM »
CCR is a good band, but not a band that I would explore past the radio hits.

Good chorus on this one.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1939 on: February 27, 2014, 06:42:37 PM »
CCR is a good band, but not a band that I would explore past the radio hits.

Good chorus on this one.

I'm a bit the same - never gone past the obvious ones.  I do like Fogerty's (distinctive) voice though so perhaps I should investigate a bit more.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #1940 on: February 27, 2014, 07:58:11 PM »
IMHO so many great memorable rock tunes were written by Mr. John Fogerty.  Have You Ever Seen (na) Rain is a classic and one of my favorites of CCR's.  By the time the organ bursts through in the second chorus I'm tapping my foot & singing along, too.  Great pick Shmev.

BTW, the last band I was in 20 some odd years ago covered Green River.  We blues it up a bit with an extended harmonica solo outro.  I played the guitar fills slightly distorted to give it a little edge.
- Ronzoni -

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1941 on: February 27, 2014, 09:03:57 PM »
A great and defining band of the genre. Like some others though I haven't looked past the best-of compilation I have, despite liking all but one or two songs out of the 34 on the two discs. I've considered checking out their albums but it's never been a priority, likely due to not listening to them all that much anymore.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1942 on: February 27, 2014, 10:21:19 PM »
I'm not really into CCR, but I really like this song. Being the nerd I am, it always reminds me of the Stargate episode Unending, where it was used in a montage scene. Of course I knew the song before that, but I never really got into it until then. :blob:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1943 on: March 01, 2014, 08:32:26 AM »
Steely Dan - Kid Charlemagne

While not as rocking as your average 70s classic rock tune, this is still a mainstay on many classic rock stations.  Helluva good song, and that guitar solo is nothing short of mind-blowing. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #1944 on: March 01, 2014, 12:55:07 PM »
"Is there gas in the car? Yes, there's gas in the CAR!"

These guys are incredible musicians and songwriters, infusing a tasteful and healthy dose of Jazz elements into their rock compositions.  Kid Charlemagne is just one sampling in a long line of awesome songs from this band.

Steely Dan is one of tightest musical groups I've had the privilege to see live (and I've been going to concerts since the 1970's!).  Check out this version of the aforementioned classic:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylr2D4Pwn58

Our band in the '80's included these SD tunes in our repertoire:
My Old School (The guitar fills & solo in this tune are lots of fun to play!)
Any Major Dude Will Tell You
- Ronzoni -

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1945 on: March 01, 2014, 01:50:26 PM »
Awesome song, though I don't know if I've ever been lucky enough to hear it on the radio.  There's no other classic rock outfit quite like Steely Dan.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1946 on: March 01, 2014, 09:17:54 PM »
This was the first song I heard on the radio with overt references to dealing.  And by overt, of course I mean covert, but I got them immediately.  And by dealing, of course I mean dealing.  Ah, the good old days.  I laughed much the first time I heard this song, and I still chuckle a bit every time.  Yes, there's gas in the car, but it's what they're talking about right before that that gets me.

Clean this mess up else we'll all end up in jail
Those test tubes and the scale
Just get them all out of here
Is there gas in the car
Yes, there's gas in the car
I think the people down the hall
Know who you are

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1947 on: March 01, 2014, 09:26:46 PM »
I really need to check out some Steely Dan - I quite liked that song.   I can't say the vocal did much for me but the music is very rich and has bits and pieces in common with old bands I do like , such as Chicago.

I can't remember ever hearing them on Aussie radio and up to this point the only reason I even know of their existence is due to stints in the band by a couple of my favourite artists (Jeff Porcaro and Michael McDonald)

edit : actually I lied..................Rikki Don't Lose That Number got plenty of air play.  I just never really knew who it was when I heard it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 11:23:52 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1948 on: March 02, 2014, 04:26:39 AM »
Steely Dan - Kid Charlemagne

While not as rocking as your average 70s classic rock tune, this is still a mainstay on many classic rock stations.  Helluva good song, and that guitar solo is nothing short of mind-blowing. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Had the privilege to hear this song live and is was the best sounding concert I ever heard.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1949 on: March 02, 2014, 08:14:10 AM »
I can imagine.  I've always heard that Steely Dan puts a lot of care into their shows sounding good (as opposed to just cranking the volume up to the max, like so many bands seemingly do).

Orbert, I had never paid attention to the lyrics enough to know that this song is about. Funny.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1950 on: March 02, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
It wasn't loud at all but so crystal clear with great separation of instruments.  P refection really.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1951 on: March 02, 2014, 10:54:20 PM »
I've seen several concerts similar in that regard, where every instrument was crystal clear.  The ones that come to mind are Steven Wilson, Radiohead, and Wilco.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1952 on: March 03, 2014, 11:46:44 AM »
Quite the coincidence. Friday afternoon, Mrs. P and I were in the car driving to the grocery store and Kid Charlemagne was on the radio. I was singing along to it and she asked, "Who is this again?" When I told her it was Steely Dan she emphatically said that we need to add their music to our CD collection for the house wide sound system (I've got most of their early albums on vinyl but I'm too lazy to digitize them). That evening I jumped on Amazon and ordered their entire '70s output, 7 CD's for $48.00 including freight (gotta love Amazon prime). Their box set with the same music is $59.00 so I'm feeling pretty good about the purchase.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1953 on: March 03, 2014, 12:14:45 PM »
:tup

Steely Dan is great stuff.  Mostly chill, but with a bit of bite.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1954 on: March 03, 2014, 01:29:30 PM »
Grateful Dead - Casey Jones

I'm not sure I'd call myself a fan of this song, but I've always been entertained by how blatant the drug references are.  Ah, the 70s were so grand, weren't they? :lol :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1955 on: March 03, 2014, 02:04:20 PM »
Next.

Can't stand the Dead.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1956 on: March 03, 2014, 02:05:15 PM »
I've loved trains since I was a little boy, and grew up with the story of Casey Jones and other railroad stories.  I've always had a little trouble with this song because of the blatant drug references, and the suggestion that a Real American Hero like Casey Jones was high and that's what caused the accident.  I know, it's just a song, but I actually found it a bit offensive.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1957 on: March 03, 2014, 03:01:23 PM »
I've seen several concerts similar in that regard, where every instrument was crystal clear.  The ones that come to mind are Steven Wilson, Radiohead, and Wilco.

Steven Wilson and Pink Floyd for me.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1958 on: March 03, 2014, 03:09:59 PM »
I love, love this song, love it. I could listen to this on repeat all day long. I have absolutely no idea why.

I could not name one other GD song.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1959 on: March 03, 2014, 04:32:27 PM »
Grateful Dead - Casey Jones

I'm not sure I'd call myself a fan of this song, but I've always been entertained by how blatant the drug references are.  Ah, the 70s were so grand, weren't they? :lol :lol

Never been a Dead fan.  The only song I really like is Touch Of Gray.