Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 161402 times)

Offline masterthes

Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #1785 on: September 21, 2013, 09:11:06 AM »
i don't know whether I like this better than Freebird or not

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1786 on: September 21, 2013, 04:07:55 PM »
I'm the opposite.  This song is awesome from start to finish.  I love the buildup, I love the breakdown, and I love the jam at the end.  Ghost Riders in the Sky has a great vibe, but I never went ga-ga over it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1787 on: September 22, 2013, 08:28:32 AM »
Journey - Just the Same Way

Easily one of the Journey songs I enjoy the most.  I remember hearing this for the first time and thinking, "Since when did Journey have a singer back then who wasn't Steve Perry?"  I was clueless at the time about Gregg Rolie and all that.  Anyway, this a great little tune to crank up and enjoy like mad.  Plus, it packs a great punch for being such a short song.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1788 on: September 22, 2013, 08:29:47 AM »
I always loved the interplay between Rollie and Perry with the vocals.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1789 on: September 22, 2013, 08:38:18 AM »
One of my favourite songs off the album (nothing can top Lovin' You Is Easy), although I'll just never be a huge fan of Greg Rolie's vocals. But it's a great song, and the two voices do work very well together here.
When they play it live now, Castronovo and Cain sound bang-on for Perry and Rolie too.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1790 on: September 22, 2013, 09:33:03 AM »
Good song. I definitely am more a fan of the Journey that followed, but there are some gems on those early albums, and this is one of them. :tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1791 on: September 22, 2013, 02:57:34 PM »
I always loved the interplay between Rollie and Perry with the vocals.

Same here.  It was a big part of the sound that I really liked on Infinity and got me into Journey in the first place.  Then next thing I knew, Gregg was gone and it was The Steve Perry Band.  Perry had a great voice, but I got tired of it kinda easily.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1792 on: September 22, 2013, 03:44:58 PM »
While you can't argue with the success the band had after Rollie left, you have to wonder what the band could have been had he stayed around. His voice did provide a nice contrast to Perry's-that being said, though, like we discussed over in the Chicago thread, the 80s likely would have seen Perry pushed as the front man anyway, so Rollie probably would have not sang as much. So it was probably for the best he left.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1793 on: September 22, 2013, 03:50:49 PM »
Yet another reason why the 80's sucked for music.

I mean that.  Come at me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1794 on: September 25, 2013, 12:48:07 PM »
The Beatles - Let It Be

An absolutely gorgeous song, and one that still gets played quite a bit on traditional classic rock stations.  I think this one of the few Beatles non-Sgt. Pepper songs that I knew growing up, so my love for it goes back a long, long way.  I still love it to pieces.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1795 on: September 25, 2013, 01:24:45 PM »
Great song.  I've had the pleasure of performing it a few times, and it's always a rush because by the end, everybody is singing along.

Paul McCartney's mother is named Mary, and he remembers being a child and her coming to him whenever he needed comforting.  Her words were always so reassuring; just let it be, don't worry about it.  He was surprised to learn later that a lot of people thought that "Mother Mary" meant Mary, mother of Jesus Christ.  Puts a religious spin on a song about thinking back to a simpler time.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #1796 on: September 25, 2013, 02:42:20 PM »
This version (along with the visuals) from "Across the Universe" has me weeping by the end of it.  Every time.  Beautiful song! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXLbyb-3Vl8
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1797 on: September 25, 2013, 08:36:05 PM »
One of my favorite late era Beatles song. I prefer the studio version with the solo guitar as opposed to the version used on the radio

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1798 on: September 25, 2013, 09:13:26 PM »
Wait... what?  Is the version from the album not the one that you hear on the radio?  I guess I didn't even pay attention.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1799 on: September 26, 2013, 12:12:24 AM »
The Beatles - Let It Be

An absolutely gorgeous song, and one that still gets played quite a bit on traditional classic rock stations.  I think this one of the few Beatles non-Sgt. Pepper songs that I knew growing up, so my love for it goes back a long, long way.  I still love it to pieces.

Great song from a great band.  Love it too. :heart

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1800 on: September 26, 2013, 12:35:40 AM »
Wait... what?  Is the version from the album not the one that you hear on the radio?  I guess I didn't even pay attention.

There's two versions. One features a guitar solo over the musical break, the other...well, doesn't. The one that didn't have a solo is the version that appeared on most of the compilations, suggesting it was a single. The guitar solo version tends to get most of the airplay these days, but not ALL of it.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1801 on: September 26, 2013, 07:18:58 AM »
Now I'm really confused.

I prefer the studio version with the solo guitar as opposed to the version used on the radio

The guitar solo version tends to get most of the airplay these days, but not ALL of it.

Those two statements appear to be contradictory.  Either the version usually played on the radio has the guitar solo, or it doesn't.

It's mostly academic interest for me, I suppose.  I don't do compilations and I don't listen to much radio.  But I'm only familiar with the version that does have the guitar solo, which I believe is the album version.  On the other hand, I always thought that that solo sounded like an "obvious" overdub.  It's just a bit too loud and clear.  It comes back towards the end, too, during the repeated chorus, playing a few fills just a bit too loud.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1802 on: September 26, 2013, 08:06:18 AM »
It isn't contradictory because it depends wholly on the radio station. There are two stations in my area that are rock stations. One is the classic rock station, the other is one formatted for modern rock with the occasional classic track. One plays the version with the guitar solo, the other doesn't. What makes it weirder is that both stations were owned by the same company before they got clear channeled and shared DJs, and largely have the same staff backstage today as they did 20 years ago.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1803 on: September 26, 2013, 12:53:49 PM »
I've never heard it on the radio with the solo. I was so shocked when I got the album and heard the solo for the first time. I was like, where did this come from?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1804 on: September 28, 2013, 09:03:17 AM »
Lynyrd Skynyrd - What's Your Name?

Solid rock tune.  Nothing really fancy about it; just a solid rock tune.

Offline krieger

« Reply #1805 on: September 28, 2013, 09:07:57 AM »
Wow - magic! I started reading this topic exactly at the same time this very song started playing (I'm listening to Past Masters vol. 2).  :rollin How high are the odds?

A beutiful song! Great lyrics... well, I think McCartney is the greatest, best composer of the XX century, anyway...  ;D
"Likely or not, it's a dream that we keep
and at odds with our senses we'll climb
But if faith is the answer, we've already reached it
And if spirit's a sign then it's only a matter of time."

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1806 on: September 28, 2013, 09:40:21 AM »
Frankly this song seems predatory and creepy.  on top of that, I think the music is very pedestrian, probably my least fav out of the LS songs I hear on the radio.  so one I usually change the station when it comes on.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1807 on: October 01, 2013, 11:36:50 AM »
Badfinger - Baby Blue

I had to feature this song this week.  I have always liked this song a lot, but after the Breaking Bad finale, it has become of those songs I will always associate with a film or television show.  I will never be able to hear this song again without thinking of Walter White.  Fans of the show will know exactly what I am talking about.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1808 on: October 01, 2013, 11:51:06 AM »
Good song.  Badfinger had a lot of good songs like this.  Pop, but with just a bit of bite to the guitar sound and just a bit more complexity to their arrangements than the average pop dreck.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1809 on: October 01, 2013, 12:13:06 PM »
Oh man. This song I will never forget.

Ever.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1810 on: October 01, 2013, 09:01:04 PM »
Good song - never watched an episode of Breaking Bad though.
:ontome:

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1811 on: October 01, 2013, 09:11:01 PM »
Good song - never watched an episode of Breaking Bad though.
:ontome:

I knew there was a reason I liked you, Deb.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1812 on: October 05, 2013, 11:17:03 AM »
Foreigner - Feels Like the First Time

Good classic tune.  Not one I ever have to hear, but whenever I do, it is always enjoyable. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1813 on: October 05, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »
I believe I dislike Foreigner almost as much as Van Halen and The Stones.

-backs away slowly-
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1814 on: October 05, 2013, 11:31:41 AM »
One of my favourite Foreigner songs, although I only like a few of their songs.

-backs away slowly-

Get out.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1815 on: October 05, 2013, 11:55:52 AM »

-backs away slowly-
Get out.

No Seriously :neverusethis:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1816 on: October 07, 2013, 10:41:25 PM »
I knew there was a reason I liked you, Deb.  :lol

:tup

Foreigner - Feels Like the First Time

If classic rock radio hadn't played this one to death, my opinion of it would be quite different.  As it is, it was cool the first 10 times I heard it but it got old after that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1817 on: October 11, 2013, 01:15:35 PM »
Steppenwolf - Born to Be Wild

I am pretty sure this was one of the first classic rock songs I ever knew.  My parents loved this song, and they had the 45 of it, and played it a lot, so I heard it a bunch when I was very young.  Still a good song, even if it is not I ever really seek out.  A definite, major classic, for sure.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1818 on: October 11, 2013, 02:04:22 PM »
There were a couple of biker bars in northern Michigan that we used to play once in a while, and without fail, "Born to be Wild" would always get them going.  They're weren't too big on the proggish pop (actually, pretty much no one was) but if things got really bad, whip out "Born to be Wild" and tell them it's time for another pitcher or two.  Yeah, baby!

Trivia: This song, and the line "I like smoke and lightning, heavy metal thunder!" is said to be the origin of the term Heavy Metal.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1819 on: October 11, 2013, 10:35:50 PM »
This is probably one of the rare cases where a song has been used/abused enough to affect my enjoyment of it (usually it wouldn't bother me at all), although I still like it.
It's a great classic rock song, no doubt, but it's been a bit watered down over time by its overuse.