Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 160752 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #1645 on: August 15, 2013, 12:12:26 PM »
Awesome song

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1646 on: August 15, 2013, 12:21:33 PM »
In the early days of MTV, there simply weren't a great many videos, so the ones they had tended to get played a lot, and if it was a hit, then it got played even MORE often. Such was the case with Burnin' For You, which at its height had a regularity of about once every three hours. Not much of a problem for me, since I liked the song.

My mom, however...

She'd let me and my sisters take over the living room television fairly often to watch MTV. Around the time that MTV came out, my mom transitioned from housewife to needing to have a second job in the house, so she'd kind of succumbed to the obvious temptation of letting the TV be our babysitter, and it stuck around when she was actually home. And while there were plenty of songs that got played near-constantly on MTV, for some reason, she picked up on Burnin' For You. "Is that Burnin For You again?" she'd yell from the kitchen, kind of amused at it being on so often. "Don't they have any other songs?"

To this DAY, if my mom hears Burnin' For You, she remembers it as the song that MTV played so much. And can sing the choruses.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1647 on: August 15, 2013, 12:59:05 PM »
Love, love, LOVE that song. So catchy. I really ought to check out more by them, as I've only heard the three biggest hits.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1648 on: August 16, 2013, 06:39:12 AM »
Great song

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1649 on: August 16, 2013, 09:09:13 AM »
Boston - Smokin'

Probably the most outright rocking song on their debut album, this song, quite simply, is smokin'! :lol  The instrumental section in this song, with the organ solo, is so freaking bad ass.  :metal :metal

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1650 on: August 16, 2013, 09:58:09 AM »
Great song!

I finally got a chance to play it a while back.  Learned the organ solo, and it all came down to our singer being able to do it.  He did, and I was honestly surprised.  This is the same guy who couldn't do "Long Time" because it was so high, but we managed to do "Smokin'".  Our bassist even did the harmony.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1651 on: August 16, 2013, 11:55:22 AM »
A+ tune... then again, so is every song on the album.  Pound for pound, this album could be the best of all time.  Often overlooked because of the 'big 3' of More Than A Feeling, RnR Band, and Foreplay/Longtime.  At least, those are the big three on classic rock radio up here.  This is the fourth in that race for most exposed tune.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1652 on: August 16, 2013, 02:10:30 PM »
Awesome song! This whole album rocks but Smokin' was always my favorite.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1653 on: August 17, 2013, 05:29:40 PM »
Great band, great song

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1654 on: August 18, 2013, 11:44:29 AM »
Neil Young - Southern Man

Pretty good song.  I am not much of a fan of Young, outside of a handful of songs, but this is one of his that I enjoy to some extent.  I never go out of my way to listen to it, but if I hear it, it is enjoyable enough.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1655 on: August 19, 2013, 05:32:28 AM »
Can't stand Neil Young.  This from a Canuck.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1656 on: August 19, 2013, 06:10:15 AM »
Awesome song.
FACT OF THE DAY FROM LOLZEEZ:

Did you know that Lynyrd Skynyrd was encouraged by that song to write Sweet Home Alabama?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1657 on: August 19, 2013, 06:15:29 AM »
I don't mind Neil Young, but I wouldn't buy any of his albums.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1658 on: August 19, 2013, 07:38:52 AM »
I love Neil and I love that song  :tup

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1659 on: August 19, 2013, 07:39:38 AM »
Can't stand Neil Young.  This from a Canuck.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1660 on: August 19, 2013, 08:15:21 AM »
Awesome song.

Did you know that Lynyrd Skynyrd was encouraged by that song to write Sweet Home Alabama?

Go find what I said about Sweet Home Alabama in this thread.  :lol Funny thing was, eventually Young and Lynyrd Skynyrd wound up being friends.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1661 on: August 19, 2013, 08:35:12 AM »
Awesome song.

I always thought that was pretty common knowledge.  It's pretty clear from the lyric "Well I hope Neil Young will remember; A southern man don't need him around anyhow"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1662 on: August 19, 2013, 08:51:33 AM »
I thought that was common knowledge, too.

Paul McCartney & Wings - Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five

This might be my favorite McCartney post-Beatles song; I absolutely love it.  I love how catchy the piano melody is, McCartney's vocal delivery is great, and how bad ass is that Band on the Run reprise at the very end?  Great, great song!!

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1663 on: August 19, 2013, 09:02:16 AM »
I love Band On The Run, but the only time I hear this song is when I play my copy of it.  :lol Awesome album though, in my opinion one of the few albums by a Beatle solo that matches the work of the Beatles as a band.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1664 on: August 19, 2013, 10:26:11 AM »
Great song.  Paul had a bunch of them.  There's actually a lot of Wings stuff that I like.  George Harrison had some good stuff, too.  Ringo wasn't nearly as prolific and did a lot of covers and stuff, but he had a few catchy songs.  John Lennon solo doesn't do much for me.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1665 on: August 19, 2013, 11:40:01 AM »
"Shake it don't break it."  :lol

Still love it though!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1666 on: August 19, 2013, 06:01:05 PM »
Great close to an awesome album

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1667 on: August 19, 2013, 06:17:26 PM »
Eh.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1668 on: August 20, 2013, 08:13:18 AM »
This song kind of falls in that gray area where it could be called an oldie or classic rock, so I think it qualifies here...

The Beach Boys - God Only Knows

Absolutely amazing and breathtaking song.  Paul McCartney and Steven Wilson have both called this the greatest song ever written, and while it might not be my favorite, I definitely think it is one of the best songs ever written.  The final vocal section, with all of the overlapping vocals, never fails to give me goosebumps, chills, etc.  Very much a  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy song.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1669 on: August 20, 2013, 08:59:36 AM »
I don't even think it's the best Beach Boys song or (even the best on the album) let alone the best ever written but when I'm in the proper frame of mind I really like Pet Sounds and this song is a real highlight.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1670 on: August 20, 2013, 09:07:18 AM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1671 on: August 21, 2013, 08:40:18 AM »
Dio - Rainbow in the Dark

Good song, although I admittedly am not a huge fan of Dio.  But this is a good tune.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1672 on: August 21, 2013, 09:29:27 AM »
Weakest song on the Holy Diver album but still fun to hear when it comes on the radio. This song came on while I was at the filling station the other day and I realised I still love the lyric, "When there's lightning, you know it always brings me down." Also, this was an excellent concert song back in the day.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1673 on: August 21, 2013, 09:48:33 AM »
Weakest song on the Holy Diver album but still fun to hear when it comes on the radio.

I disagree. I'd put it at least middle of the album in terms of quality.

Classic keyboard riff, and it's Dio, so the vocals are top notch. What more needs to be said? It's Dio! :metal
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1674 on: August 21, 2013, 10:19:04 AM »
There were a few moments in the 80s when I heard a guitar player and said "who the hell IS this guy?!" In particular, Randy Rhoads, Gary Moore, Michael Schenker, and Yngwie Malmsteen.

Add Vivian Campbell to this list, the first time I saw the video for Rainbow In The Dark. Though I always felt bad that they couldn't find a way to work Vinnie Appice into the video.  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1675 on: August 21, 2013, 11:03:18 AM »
I don't know if it's a great song, but I like it.  Dio's voice was awesome.

Does anyone remember back in the early 80's, Michelob Light had an ad campaign on the radio wherein they would adapt their jingle "Michelob Light, for the winners!" to sound like popular songs at the time?  "Rainbow in the Dark" was one of the victims.  The guitars, that classic keyboard sound, even a guy who sounded kinda like Dio (because no one could sound exactly like him), singing the damned Michelob Light song.  The chords were slightly rearranged and the keyboard line was slightly changed, but there was no question what song it was supposed to be.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1676 on: August 21, 2013, 11:26:07 AM »
Ok, this is kinda bad and kinda cool all at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQZpew9371Q

4:38 in this video is Orianthi playing Rainbow In The Dark...and no, she doesn't sing it thank god.  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1677 on: August 21, 2013, 11:42:16 AM »
Also, I love Dio's voice in nearly everything he ever did, but...

Is it just me or is he completely unwatchable?! The little sand-blower's antics and theatrics were alway off putting to me especially when he was in Black Sabbath wearing a chainmail shirt and spike-heeled boots. I remember seeing Bill Ward, in a video interview, talking about how he just couldn't take watching Dio "do his thing" and I just had to nod my head.

What did ya'all think?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:13:27 PM by Podaar »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1678 on: August 21, 2013, 11:59:27 AM »
I've never seen much video of Dio.  Sounds like that's actually a good thing.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1679 on: August 21, 2013, 04:47:28 PM »
God Only Knows is a great and beautiful song about friendship/love